Broccoli

>Broccoli
>Spinach
>Brussel Sprouts
>(sometimes) brussel sprouts
Those vegetables are constantly portrayed as disgusting and a scourge of children in cartoons. Why? What's the origin of this cliche? Do real children really hate those vegetables so much?
Are there any other foods that are portrayed as being disgusting and vile?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TgA381B3fzg
youtube.com/watch?v=IH1PJTY9AVA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't know where or when the 'kids hate green vegetables' thing originated, but I don't think it's nearly as common in real life as it is in fiction.

I like broccoli. Pretty sure I always have.

Broccoli IS disgusting though.

I meant to say
>(sometimes) green peas
silly me

>eating vegetables

At least with sprouts, I think it's because a lot of people just boil the shit out of them until they're bland, mushy blobs.

parents feeding their kids raw frozen vegetables or some shit

Broccoli, brussels sprouts and spinach are literally my three favorite vegetables.
>frozen vegetables
jesus I feel like puking at the very thought.
But all frozen veggies are disgusting though, broccoli or carrot alike

Glad to hear it.

Broccoli, chicken stock, salt, water, fry it all in a wok until wanted tenderness/crunchiness.

Thank you, mom.

>Broccoli, brussels sprouts and spinach are literally my three favorite vegetables.

No idea with the other two, but Broccoli always got stuck in my teeth and it drove me up the fucking wall.

Broccoli doesn't taste bad, but it usually smells bad if you don't actually prepare it (which lazy parents don't do)

Spinach tastes the way that it's usually served

I dunno about brussel sprouts though, as it's reputation is so severely damaged no one has ever served it to me

Seconded

Unless you drench it in cheese. I like cheese but fucking hell there's a limit

Children have more sensitive taste buds, and those three vegetables have very powerful flavors because they're chock full of iron.

It's because of the technological end geopolitical climate of America in the 1950s

We've had this thread so many times already. Sup Forums loves broccoli. If we were a nation it would be our national vegetable. We love Brussel sprouts too. Cartoons are silly sometimes.

But blue cheese dip and brussels sprouts are made for eachother

If you don't cook them right they taste like shit

Nobody cares to cook them right

>because they're chock full of iron.

So kids who don't like greens are basically giant fags? Yeah I'd believe it.

Green vegetables are usually somewhat on the bland or bitter side, especially if prepared poorly. One thing that is not often taken into account is that a lot of parents are shitty fucking cooks, and a kid's taste in food is often dependent on how well their parents can cook certain things.

Also, brussel sprouts have a thing where some people with a certain olfactory gene will taste a certain chemical that the plant gives off, and it's very unpleasant, while others will taste nothing.. I love broccoli and spinach, but brussel sprouts taste like cabbage and hot nickels to me. Same with cilantro. I'm fine with it, but I have a friend who says it tastes like soap.

> cook them right and they won't taste like shit
it was always the texture. too many small pieces that don't feel like they've been chewed properly.

also, the stupid children who would leave it to the last minute to eat the greens when they were cold instead of first thing when they were hot.

>Are there any other foods that are portrayed as being disgusting and vile?
Fruitcake.

spinach isn't that iron rich, the Popeye thing was due to the war effort, no meat around, but some math got fucked so spinach was calculated to be outrageously iron rich when in reality its only like 11% of RDI per 100g.

Isn't the iron in spinach thing from a misprint where spinach was recorded as having a thousand percent more iron than it actually does?

>Those vegetables are constantly portrayed as disgusting and a scourge of children in cartoons. Why?
Because they’re disgusting?

you have to be 18+ to post on this website sweetums

Fatty detected

I hate brussle sprouts. I didnt care for spinach or borccoli as a kid either.

I've always liked fruitcake too, though I think the fruitcake my family makes is way different than what the rest of the word calls "fruitcake" since it's very soft and mild in taste

Have any of you ever tried snipach pancakes?

No you don’t.

>Broccoli
good

>Spinich
not good

>Brussel Sprouts
meh

youtu.be/TgA381B3fzg

I was always okay with spinach. Never had brussel sprouts until I was an adult, but I thought they were fine.

Broccoli I hated as a kid, and now it's tolerable, although I prefer cauliflower just because I hate having all those tiny broccoli flower bits getting stuck in my teeth.

Fuck asparagus.

They're good for the road.

>Brussel Sprouts
are fucking disgusting, even for me i eat tofu &shit and i'm totally fine but Brussel Sprouts are the spawn of evil

I could go for some brussel sprouts right about now. That shit is delicious when made right.

Animaniacs or The Critic?

>not eating vegetable
are you an amerifat or what?

Critic
youtube.com/watch?v=IH1PJTY9AVA

Mrs. Pell's Frozen Fishsticks sound great

I don't get carrots. I understand that they're sweet. But damn I hate the flavor of it.

I refuse to eat uncooked broccoli; the little buds get stuck in my fucking throat if they aren't steamed.

Always hated broccoli florets. I enjoy the stem regions a lot more

>Why? What's the origin of this cliche?
White Americans not knowing how to cook.
Broccoli and spinach are S-tier veggies.
Never had brussel sprouts, they look gross.
So I can see how that's an effective gross out gag.
But beyond all that, yeah
some kids flat out just dont like their greens

>White
Sweet racebaiting, bro.

Spinach>Broccoli>Brussel Sprouts

For me the more I eat them, the more hungry I get.

Oh shit you really are underage

The Critic aged like un-canned peas.
It used to be delicious, but now it's just a green mess covered in mold

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I used to be fine with them but now they just leave me starving.

>look gross
they are tiny cabbages, what's gross about them?
Also, you guys know what's god tier?
Tomato soup with brussels sprouts boiled in it. My dick gets hard just thinking about it.

Yeah I never got this. Bruseel sprouts I did hate as a kid, but never Broccoli and Spinach.

The one I really fucking despised though was asparagus, it was my least favorite food as a child, and I don't think I've ever seen it portrayed like fucking Broccoli.

Spinach is slimy and bland
Brussel Sprouts are bitter and gross
Broccolli is actually refreshing and delicious, epescially when steamed

Frozen veggies are perfectly fine, and in fact just as good as fresh if you steam them.

You're cooking the spinach too long if it's slimy

>thread is about american animation
>thread is about american food
>thread is about american culture
>specify white
>Sweet racebaiting, bro.
>mfw i never go to restaurants run by white people

>mfw i never go to restaurants run by white people
Sweet racebaiting, bro.

>Broccolli is actually refreshing and delicious, epescially when steamed
>refreshing and delicious
>steamed
>White Americans not knowing how to cook.

I'm not white, also kiss my asshole, steaming is the way to go lardass.

joke went over your head

The problem comes from parents who boil their vegetables, sapping the nutrients AND taste out of them. I never complained about broccoli when my mom pan seared it with some fresh garlic and parsley, and threw a little butter in there, and then she tossed it with some angel hair pasta and de-shelled shrimp. It was delicious, so much so that I make it anytime I can at home. I even make it for my folks when I cook for them, just to show how much I appreciate them for introducing me to such flavors.

Your modern millenial parent doesn't like putting in that work, and alot of parents back then didn't either, so they took the quick way with cheap, fastly produced veggies that tasted like crap.

>what is cooking oil
>what is sautee

>Do real children really hate those vegetables so much?
I know I did

Inferior ways of preparing vegetables that remove most of the nutrients?

If you're a parent who refuses to eat a certain food, chances are your kid will pick up your habit.

>would rather deny his race than admit he can't cook

you could've just left this entire explanation at 'Americans' since we all know they're fat fucks who just hate all vegetables on principle

Can't say anything bad about blacks, asians, arabs or whatever other minority group.

> food prepared in olive oil
> no nutrients

When is Spinach portrayed as gross? The only cartoon that shows it is popeye and it's shown as a good thing that lets Popeye destroy reality just by eating it.

Also Brussel sprouts are god awful.

this was because food crafted from these vegetables in the 1950's were fucking horrifying.

Brussel sprouts for instance were just boiled, no seasoning, Spinach served raw and Broccoli over boiled or raw, no seasonings.

Why do you think that shitty frozen broccoli with cheese sauce sells so well?

sprouts are great, you blanch them for 30 seconds and throw them into a frying pan with butter and olive oil after 5 minutes add some garlic and salt of garlic salt, a little lemon juice and you're done.

always liked my veggies as a kid and i hated and still hate bitter things like coffee and chocolate. vegetables arent bitter.

brussel sprouts though i never had. i had them once at a buffet to see what they were like, and they were gross. definitely not tiny cabbages. i also dont like cauliflower. its not white broccoli. cauliflower sucks and has no flavor
>youre not cooking it right!
more for you buddy. i aint wasting time on that shit

cauliflower is really only good when used as a filler, it sucks on it's own like moldy water

Brussels sprouts are shit tho

You fucking cucks holy fucking shit.
Are you really that mad?
Cuz I said white people?
You think white people food is good in other parts of the world?
You think haggis is good?
You think the pickled fish and cow brains they eat in Scandinavia is good?
You think British food is good?
I don't even know what they eat in Australia but it probably tastes like dick.
Italian and German cuisine are the only two worth a damn.
Even the Spaniards get btfo by the Mexicans.
Back in America you might be able to get a good burger somewhere but meat and two veg places are bland as fuck.
What the fuck are you even defending?
Or are you really that mad?

>>haha you mad bro
>>spent nearly 40 minutes crafting a response

Agreed.
I love all sorts of veggies, but Cauliflower I can only stomach if it's in soup with other veggies or covered in beadcrumbs and butter.
On it's own whether boiled or steamed it has very little flavor. Boiled unsalted potatoes have more taste.

But (((we))) do that all the time, you filthy jew.

Spinach is good raw. I like it as a salad.

They smell bad. Kids won't like food that smell bad.

>I dunno about brussel sprouts though, as it's reputation is so severely damaged no one has ever served it to me
Don'tknow why but I got a good chuckle out of this.

Parent's in the 90's couldn't cook for shit and would just boil green veg into tasteless mush.

not for kids, way to gritty and looks to much like a leaf.

I love it when people fuck up the math on shit

Spinach is the only salad leaf worth a damn. Tastes good and has lots of nutritional value. Lettuce and other salad staples are worthless in comparison.

They generally smell like crap and taste like crap unless you put effort into making them. for example, just steaming or boiling broccoli makes it taste like ass. Best way I've seen to get kids to eat it without coating it in cheese was to sneak it into chicken fajitas or chopped up really fine onto homemade pizza.

>Be me
>Spic
>As stereotype and tradition, mothers tend to re-heat meals and put it in a tortilla and send you to school with that
>You get infamous tacos like tacos of chilaquiles which is basically tortilla inside tortilla
>Mom cooks cauliflower one day
>Nobody ate that shit
>She gets her revenge the next day sending us to school with cauliflower tacos
>Inedible shit
>Have no money to buy a meal at the cafeteria
>MFW

>>Broccoli
Good either raw or cooked.
>>Spinach
I like it raw, but don't care for it cooked, the texture is weird.
>>Brussel Sprouts
I like them, but I've only had them sauteed in butter, with salt and pepper, so I don't know how I'd feel about them cooked differently.

you can take cauliflower and turn it into decent vegan substitutions, not great but decent, like you can turn it into mock chicken wings and it comes out pretty decent or as a substitute for mashed potatoes for those that can't have carbs like diabetics.

Tge only reason they are still popular is bugs bunny. It's the only explanation possible for something so bland.

she didn't put anything on it like Tajín?

Spinach, red onions, green chiles, crumbled feta, toasted quinoa, and a good helping of grilled chicken will make an awesome salad.

The reason isn't that hard to grasp: Americans are fucking stupid.

>when they hitcha with the timestamps
I don't know how you talk shit to people on Sup Forums, but I'm usually doing other stuff too.

I recall her using tomato sauce to "flavor" that thing. It was still pretty much unedible. Fortunately I grew tired and started cooking myself

So why is it that white Americans apparently can't handle spice? Because I've seen my old man order the hottest curries he can find and just lash hot sauces on them if they don't adequately blow off his jaw

Single Mother?