What's your opinion of Monstress?

What's your opinion of Monstress?
What's your opinion of Sana Takeda?
What's your opinion of Marjorie Liu?

Monstress has good art, good story, and good waifus. It's gonna go far

is it lovecraftian?

that it is extremely my shit

The monsters are. The theme of the story is more about the horrible atrocities that happen in war and what it does to people psychologically, but all set in this mystical fantasy world.

dropped it at like issue eight I wanna say because it had pretty art but was overwritten to hell. lot's of mediocre writing obscuring the nice art.

The Imuras man, what a couple of straight-up badasses

is this a webcomic

if not can I buy this somewhere

It's a book by Image, visit your LCS, they should have the two trades and the most recent issue, #13.

Great art, great setting, but something about the writing is off.

Sorry user I never buy things
I'm gonna download some of it and then get bored of it because of the writing like and said

This exactly, I don't know what it is

I'm going to assume you guys are too used to reading capeshit where no one can pause to stop punching each other. I love slower comics with quiet moments because they seem much more realistic to me. This book has some wonderfully cinematic pacing and I love it.

that's a big assumption to go on. The truth of the matter is, most dialogue in comics is expository in nature. This is a comic riddled with exposition, telling me shit when it should be showing it. You know what's a good comic that makes creative use of the medium with its near-silence? Graham's Prophet. Dude lets the art carry the story and forces the reader to infer things visually rather than having things told to them.

i disagree, the art is amazing but in respect of the writing is on the level of an amateur webcomic

The art makes me want to like it, but the speech bubbles are way too filled up.

>how to spot american "readers"

>what's the problem with the writing? Something seems off about it

It comes down to the basic premise and the amount of exposition dumped. For one thing the main character is kinda a one note 'strong independent Saske edgelord' despite her internal monologues and debates. She has a reason for being like that but the 'broody character with a secret dark power and past' it is kinda boring and has been done to the point where it becomes somewhat tired to read. Many of the other characters are also one note or are mainly there for plot exposition dumps or getting a character from A to B. There isn't really enough time given to a specific character on top of the world building. Almost every page has mountains of dialogue explaining how the world works and what a character's background is. It tells a lot more than it shows. Like I'm still not sure why some characters are following other characters or some of the basic desires of others even after mountains of dialogue.

It's probably a consequence of having too much characters and concepts to tell and the author wants to squeeze it all in to a short period of time without giving the cast and world time to breath.

Probably bait but come on man, most people don't mind slow moments in their comics. In fact this comic isn't really slow at all since it bombards the reader with information and occurances at every step. Also plenty of Cape has slow moments. No need to be an elitist 'but dur you people can only handle fast stupid shit durr'

I liked everything about it except the main heroine.

Monstress has gorgeous art and an interesting world. It's like a mix of Lovecraft and TaleSpin.

I jsut started reading this
it's fucking good
don't die you fuckers

the art is nice but the writing is mediocre

also Kippa is C U T E

It has everything I would want in a story, presented in the most boring way possible.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I can't wait for it to get a Hardcover release. Feel like Takeda and Liu will go all out in designing it.

Is Takeda doing her own inks? I don't see an inker credit in the trades and the inks look beautiful. Is she doing the colors too?

Yes, she does penciling, inking, and coloring.

shit that's alot of work. It all looks beautiful though.

It's why she's slow but the outcome is very pretty.

Nice, a true comic craftswoman. Now if she were writing as well

Fantasy is as bad as capeshit and comes with it's own genre cliches. Monstress fills in most of them. Unless you're one of those who think that LoTR and Harry Potter are great achievements in literary fiction, this comic is shit.

Well at least we don't have some idiot complaining about the art.

I think Takeda has contributed alot to the ideas of the book. The story and basic characters are Liu's but I get the feeling that Takeda is much more than just the artist, they're sort of creating this world together and I think Liu is giving her alot of freedom. Just a hunch.

What do the voices sound like to you?
My brain always wants to assign voices to something I'm really enjoying reading. Maika has the voice of R-el from Ergo Proxy, and the monster has the voice of Hades from the Justice League cartoon (episodes Paradise Lost Parts 1&2). The cat has the voice of the cat from the Ghost Stories dub.

>R-el
She sounds too old for Maika in my opinion. Though to be fair whenever I read a comic I don't have specific voices in my mind. Whenever I imagine a preexisting voice actor or character voicing a comic character, or someone actually dubs a comic, it never feels right. Even with characters I write.

This.

Does that one catguy have a robo tail?

possibly, but it's more likely just an ornamental cover thing he's wearing.

It really does feel like a webcomic, but good on Marjorie for finally breaking out of the capeshit mold and writing what she wants to write

If I was her I would be kinda ticked at the capseshit because everything she tried to do was ignored by the other writers.

A page or two later Seizei (the orange one) tells Maika that "Kenzei wasn't the same after what the sea-folk did to him" I thought that implied some fucked-up shit happened to the silver one which included the loss of his tail

Marjorie Liu's writing is always awkward and stilted but the pace of the writing is fast paced and interesting. Sana Takedas art is always fantastic. overall its a enjoyable series albeit with a tone that can be off at times.

I like the art, I like the world, I want to know more about said world but the way it's going about it in the actual book could be better.

I assume it's because the writers has a set number of issues in mind so she wants to get everything out that she wants to be told as quickly as possible combined with the artist taking a lot of time per issue, but the tons of scenes where it's just characters sitting around exposition dumping gets old after a while. Also Maika is huge cunt, she has a good reason for being a huge cunt but she's still a cunt nonetheless. she better chill out in the next few arcs.

The first trade is like 10 dollars for 6 issues, and the first issue is extra long.

C
U
T
E

Its greatest strength and its greatest weakness is that no one acts like a real person.