Jim Lee redesigned Superman's costume three times in the last six years...

Jim Lee redesigned Superman's costume three times in the last six years, and that's not counting the "new" classic w/ cuffs design. Why is he so fucking needy when it comes to Superman's costume?

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/supermans-rebirth-costume-concept-art-revealed/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because Wildstorm and it's character became irrelevant. Because he designed all the new costumes for JL and none of them really stuck. Jim Lee has never been a great costume designer like his Rayner GL costume is not referenced ever.

>its another Twitter screen cap thread

Jim Lee has always come across to me as a creator who has nothing but contempt for the medium he creates for desu

Because the rest of the Trinity have gone through fairly radical costume changes that've all stuck. Batman transitioned from the classic Blue/Grey costume to the Black/Grey during Knightfall, Wonder Woman swapped from the classic look to sleeker look during the Nu52 (itself a revision of Lee's initial design), then went to a more hellenistic-inspired look in Rebirth. Superman, by comparison, has gone through relatively few costume changes since the fifties, owing to his iconicness and the simplicity of the costume.

As Larsen says; Lee wants to be the guy who makes Superman's next iconic look, despite the fact that it's not working.

Post teh superman redesign you're referring to

I like it. The sleeves look fine.

Not a matter of being needy.
The cuffs are critical last resort to make the outfit is cooler and more dignified.
You want him to look like he has a earthly outfit design, fine, that does not mean he needs to look like he is wearing a half assed dollar store Halloween costume.

Gross

How so?

It looks extremely out of place

oh is this his little holdover from his dumb n52 design, what a shitty thing to do

Someone should erase the trunk lines from this image, I'm curious how they'd look.

It's much better than the classical look.
>b-b-but it's edgy.

I'd have liked the nu52 design more had the shitty armour lines not been there

Can we ban these plz?

That's a funny way to spell Todd Mcfarlane
Jim always comes of as a enthusiastic fan fic writer.

Oh wow, are you still angry at people blowing you the fuck out in your anti-trunks thread?

I Think if they were red it work better

>Jim Lee has never been a great costume designer
His X-Men designs. I can take or leave Jean but Cyclops, Storm and Rogue are classics. Omega Red's great. Bishop's fine aside from maybe the long hair. That's where he was at his best both as an artist and a designer.

Can someone add braclets to Superman here? Gold ones? I wanna see what it looks like.

I seriously don’t get why Lee keeps trying to leave a mark on Supes. Hush is terrible but everyone outside of Sup Forums loves it. Isn’t having a definitive story on the most popular superhero ever enough for Lee?

Why do his sleeves go down his hands in this design. It's like they're stabbing sleeves for stabbing people.

He could just be a tinker, never likes the idea of just doing things the old way.

The design on his sleeves makes perfect sense. The little pokey bit on his sleeves fits into the divot in the top of his boots like a puzzle piece. That way if his punches aren't strong enough, he can attach his boots to the end of his arms and kick-punch people.

It's a genius modular design. Why can't anyone else see this?

This is retarded and I want it.

Fucking shit there was another thread about Larsen's whining and that shit got deleted already (and I think it got deleted for good reason).

Larsen is not relevant outside of his few Savage Dragon 90's 40 something fanboys, who gives a fuck.

Feel like those cuffs will get ignored by other artists at one point.

>they go well with the boots, surprisingly.
They really do. See

Whice created Bishop

Pick your poison Sup Forums

man those wrist bands really do ruin the design

Like any of this shit matters no one will have to read superman since bendis is taking over. Only the most retarded superman fans care about the underwear

There are no trunks. This is a false choice.

>trunks
You mean panties?

I want a superman costume with a flesh colored suit, blue head and hands, bright red trunks, and a yellow cape

Sorry daddy, I meant panties.

He looks more cinematic and cool with them.

>if I call them panties I can shame them into changing their minds

Joke's on you faggot, superhero fans have no shame to begin with

You're right. They kind of go with the boots, weirdly enough.

Who designed the last 2 costumes?

I don't get the collar, it makes him look too authoritative, in a bad way.

Lee designed the 1st 2 maybe all 3, the current Superman artist may have designed the 3rd.

looks kind of like my mock up here what with having a more dark blue. Everything else is different of course, but still.

Rebirth was definitely Jim Lee.
cbr.com/supermans-rebirth-costume-concept-art-revealed/

Unfortunately I can't find any artist credit for the Reborn costume.

So I'm not caught up on Superman Rebirth, why did Supes get the trunks back?

That looks much better.
imo without a distinguishing color it just looks like pointless detail for it's own sake,

Bendis

He gets the trunks back in Action 1000, which isn't out yet.

Hopefully it'll just happen without comment. I don't need an in-universe explanation for the trunks coming back.

>his Rayner GL costume is not referenced ever.

Back when Kyle had a kink collar and was ribbed for her pleasure.

a stopped clock is right twice a day.

This was his proposed design for Hal in the Nu52. Jesus wept.

Movie synergy

Yes it's a classic change for the sake of itself decision.

And similar to Superman having pointless cuffs for 1000, because he couldn't go full LINE LINES LINES w/ Hal, we were stuck with these awkward shoulder lines that every artist had to draw.

I like the 3rd the best.

Patrick Gleason if I remember correctly.

>Because Wildstorm and it's character became irrelevant. Because he designed all the new costumes for JL and none of them really stuck.

Largely this for anyone like Lee or in similar circumstance. Superman, despite all the people who bitch and moan, is still an iconic figure and his design - especially if it was something significant (trunkless design, for example) would make news and be remembered. Sadly, Lee was confused and, in addition to going to far in the bad direction with his redesign, ended up being mostly forgotten. The MoS design will likely be far more remembered as a trunkless design.

He killed an entire fucking imprint because he thought they would mix well with the DCU. Jesus.

ICONIC
C I
O N
N O
I C
CINOCI

To be fair, the big problem with Wildstorm before the New 52 was that interest fell hard and they kept doing so many reboots and apocalyptic things that people stopped caring. I could see why he'd try to integrate it into the DCU.

And I can see that some Wildstorm characters could mix well with the DCU (I actually liked the two Midnighter miniseries in the last three years, and I think with more efffort, Helspont could work as a Superman villain) but it wouldn't work to transplant everything into there.

>Imagefags butthurt at a former indie making it in the Big Two
lol

The cuffs would look better if they were red.

It's not my fault you have shit taste.

They are highly superior to the class look.

The 3rd one is great.

I love the trunks, I love the classic look, but I really don't understand why they couldn't stick with the 3rd one. It's the one that merged old and new in a perfect way.

The gold bracelets actually look much better. I like that they're bigger too. If you're going to add a weird detail like zigzag cufflines, make them stand out and be a part of the design. Of course now he's kind of aping Wonder Woman, but if the detail HAS to be there I'd much prefer this look.

>Hopefully it'll just happen without comment. I don't need an in-universe explanation for the trunks coming back.

>yfw Superman finds out another ship of his crashed to Earth, tracks it down and find the red trunks inside, which turn out to be legendary house of El trunks blessed by Rao
>yfw it's an 8 issue mini series of him and Luthor trying to get the trunks.

>>yfw it's an 8 issue mini series of him and Luthor trying to get the trunks.

Never knew I wanted this until I read it.

>Superman: The Search for the Trunks of El

I adore the third. It is the best without the trunks I've ever seen. The only time I've seen cuffs done well were on the Earth 2 costume, and that was because it was given symmetry with the redesigned boots of that costume as well. Lee should stick to designing Batcostumes. His style lends itself to their style more than any other corner of the universe.

Make the chevron trim and the wristbands yellow and it's fine. And why shouldn't he want to make a mark on the books he publishes?

Batman functions much like spider-man and iron man as a vessel for toy sales. thus, many variants are bound to exist. Especially because he's been that vessel the longest.

Wondy goes through as many redesigns as she does rewrites because everybody thinks everyone else is wrong about her. It isn't a good example and in fact most people see her as Lynda Carter. They refuse to embrace Wondy as a sex symbol.

Those are terrible examples.

>more dignified
Not in-character. It's why the collar and regal look sucks on him. The second he looks like a "royal" is the second he gives of God-King vibes. And those are the people superman fights. he is an everyman and should be in fabrics any man could find.

You have no idea who Eric Larson is, do you? Him AND Jim Lee formed Image, you dumb ass. They made it at Marvel together. They're fucking peers.

I like the third costume, missing trunks be damned. But the proportions in the art are fucked. His arms too damn long.

>I would have liked it more if it didn't suck
You would have guessed?

Either go for a completely different costume, or stick with what everyone already recognises as the normal one.

Little changes like taking away the trunks, adding cuffs, adding random lines, etc, only ever serve to be slightly annoying.

haha oh wow its literaly the smallest thing. Are peope REALLY this mad about it?

>not liking superbros design
how dare you

They don't seem mad at all, they seem disgusted/disappointed with Lee. Or is this one of those "doing anything besides accepting something is being mad" things?

more of "making mountains out of molehills" mad

this feels like a last minute change to be honest, like this or gold cuffs was in the original but they were afraid about it not being classic enough for people so they did a last minute recolor

>I didn't actually mean m-mad, I meant m-mountains out of molehills
Has anyone seen my goalposts?
What Larsen said is spot on, Lee is actually the one who's mad clearly, that his star has burned out, that his design ability is no longer jerked off as premiere. So he tried to leave his little "touch" on the classic design (that hilariously involves LINESLINES), so there would be something he could cling to. Larsen is right, Lee is a faggot, he couldn't accept his shitty redesign was a failure to the point where even with his clear stifling against the classic design, it came back in less than a decade.

I'm okay with super trunks but let batman without it, it sucks on him and now they can finally get different costumes

I don't think anyone's REALLY mad about it on a large scale. But in OP's pic, it's Ryan Ottley (who draws Invincible) and Erik Larsen (Savage Dragon creator, co-founder of Image) so it's not really just any fan.

Also while I think Erik has a lot of good points to make on art and design at times, I don't neccesarily think Lee added them just to make his mark (though it's still a possibility), the Man of Steel costume had the wristbands. Lee had a sort of early precursor to wristbands on the New 52 costume, but it was nothing like the Man of Steel costume. It was only with the Rebirth costume (which came years after MoS) where he added that in.

3rd one is perfection. Best Superman has ever looked.

Between those three? The third one.

>that his star has burned out

Erik Larsen writes Savage Dragon to a dwindling fanbase. Jim Lee is one of the top executives at DC comics and regularly draws books that go to the top ten just because he's on art.

>Lee had to pack it in and go corporate while Larson writes his fetishes and will soon have the longest running creator owned work of all time
Nope, Lee is still the loser.

seems like someone is still salty over Image-X month

>Lee
>grueling job running a major publisher
>Larsen
>sits at home, likely rips a bong and faps thinking about ideas for his next absurd threesome, draws it and sends it into image

Are you seriously on this board and telling me you wouldn't take option two (inb4 retarded weed related comments)

Still has the problem of the others with too much blue. A belt is just not thick enough of a band of color to break it up as effectively as the classic look

1- Just for the collar

>grueling job
riiiight

>Why is he so fucking needy when it comes to Superman's costume?

He could make some money on the back end for his designs if its used in other mediums.

Disregard I am stupid

>Superman's costume goes mostly unchanged for 60 years
>Jim Lee of all people thinks he has the design sense to improve on timeless iconography

Even in 2011 I thought this was a fucking joke. I'm just shocked it took this long for DC to walk it back.

>deadline based business like comics
>not gruelling
You really think Warner pays Lee to leave the office at 5, take half day summers and relax out in Burbank? Or is this abother "make baseless assumptions about the comic book industry with no actual knowledge of it" thing?