80's and 90's had a trend of realistic human characters. Now the trend the opposite, with low detail...

80's and 90's had a trend of realistic human characters. Now the trend the opposite, with low detail, highly stylized characters. In fact animation quality seems to be decreasing for 2D animation not increasing.

Why is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ijgRyNeeF5I
youtube.com/watch?v=kNCTH4gQJ-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=1UrpQTI6HTo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes I miss those juicy tits aswell user

I know a lot of people are going to want to blame the budget and producers, but the older shows had dramatically lower production values, so that seems false.

Honestly, I think it's the artists themselves, I think they just popularized that look amongst themselves and are so into their own culture that it's hard to find a decent draftsman in there anymorr, let alone anyone who actually wants to expend the effort to draw realistically and in detail.

Tl;Dr blame bauhaus

I'm angry that nuApril is not a redhead.
I want my black redheads dammit.

>lmao who needs animation quality. We'll pump out generic calarts shit, push a few cliched stories we'll call ''tributes'' to other works and shove a few politics shit in so we are untouchable by critisism
>not only they buy it but they worship this shit because they dont know better

>1980's tmnt
>Good animation

It was the Steven universe of the time but worse.

>but the older shows had dramatically lower production values, so that seems false.

It's something to do with the 2D animation technology itself. Something about all digital animation strongly biases towards simple designs.

The actual animation can be choppy and the art is often off-model. I'm talking about the art design, which had realistic characters and proportions which was pretty typical in late 80's and early 90's animation.

>In fact
but it is not. Post an episode from the 80s or 90s and let's see how crap the animation is for all its realism and detail.

and 2D animation, nowadays? Did not you not get the memo that 3D has become far more profitable than anything ever imagined?

it's the tech they use now, garbage designs are easier to tween look at how few points of articulation are on Blapril compared to April, why animate a hand when you can animate a square.

Stylistic trends change. In the 80s/90s we had very realistic designs, in 2000s we took a step down in realism, but still kept the proper proportions, now we're in an era of highly stylized and completely unrealistic designs. I suspect that in a few years a new cartoon will appear that will shock audiences with its beautiful realistic style, and other cartoons will copycat.

It's something about the current animation tech we use. I've seen Western and Japanese animation that has realistic proportions or semi-realistic, and the characters move very stiffly. The only way to get fluidity is very simple designs.

I lack the knowledge on the technical aspects of this.

>The only way to get fluidity is very simple designs.

Just look at Panty & Stocking.

It's because that style was popular in Japan, where most, if not all, of the animation was outsourced.

>lmao who needs animation quality. We'll pump out generic realism shit, push a few cliched stories we'll pretend we're not copying from every other show airing right now, and shove a few moral lesson shit in so we are untouchable by criticism
>not only they buy it but they worship this shit because they don't know better
It's like arguing whether having corn or peanuts in your shit will make it smell better.

>it was the Steven universe of its time.
What the fuck did you just said nigga?
Let me tell you that it was the best shit of its time, maybe you were too busy crying because you shitted on your diapers to notice how awesome it was.

Way to move the goalposts. Highly detailed and realistic character designs are a pain in the ass to animate. Simple character designs are easier.

Animators right now are mostly concerned with making the animation look nice, not drawing a cartoon that looks like the toys they're selling to kids, which is all Transformers, TMNT, My Little Pony, etc, were back in the 80s.

Fuck black April, fuck storyboard artists that can't stay on model and call it their style, and fuck you for wearing nostalgia glasses and thinking that just because a cartoon girl had big tits that everything was better back then.

Here is what i don't get
>CN tries to make new teen titans, and everyone fucking hates it
>CN tries again with Powerpuff girls it, fails
>Nick made 2012 ninja turtles and from what i have seen it is fucking great, they nailed it, they fucking won already, then they release a bunch of summer shorts and they are amazing too. Holy shit any of them could be a new series

youtube.com/watch?v=ijgRyNeeF5I

>Just look at this, this is perfect you can sell so many toys with it and everyone is going to love it im sure even most of Sup Forums would love it
>Great Nick can just turn this into a new series and fucking destroy cartoon network in toy sales for the next 5 years
>Nah let's just make the new series as cheap as possible since that what CN is doing

>I lack the knowledge on the technical aspects of this.
The basic gist is that to get really fluid animation out of current digital animation tech you have to give up any time saving that could be provided by using said tech. And while a lot of people bitch about current animators, the cold fact is that the networks and anyone else funding the show is going to want the animation done as fast and as cheap as possible.

April O'Nigger

>Nah let's just make the new series as cheap as possible
This is because it's shown to work. Johnny Test was peanuts to air on CN and was always in the low range in ratings but in add cost and the like it made profit really easy. TTG cost less than Johnny Test and generates a million views a new episode without trying.
That's why this formula is picking up, with the death of cable creeping up the goal of most networks now is minimum cost for maximum profits

I am still pissed that we're not getting this. This shit is what Fast Forward should've been and it's just a short. How can a company fuck up so bad where they have a really great idea that will make them money and NOT utilize it?

This easily could've worked as a direct sequel to the 2012 series too. Mecha Ninja Turtles being the canon future instead of that bummer Mutant Apocalypse finale.

>>CN tries to make new teen titans, and everyone fucking hates it
it equals and beats out most ratings on the network. Only Gumball has out rank it in ratings by an extra million. Even RS and Adventure time couldn't keep up.
>>Nick made 2012 ninja turtles and from what i have seen it is fucking great
correct however it's ratings were choppy after Season 1 and while it stayed steady it dived hard by season 5 struggling to get any traction. This is what lead them to try something new.

Also if you want to know how hard it can be to make a future generation series of an IP read up on Batman Beyond, the higher ups do not like experimental on that level.

Damn it, why did you have to remind me? I wanted that to become a full series more than any pilot I've ever seen. Those mech designs deserve to be made into toys, not just discarded.

Also this. And if you want to play around with the character archetypes, that's a hell of a better way to do it than making Raph the leader.

I think '80s April is hot and all but you're kidding yourself if you think the original TMNT was some godsend of animation. There were mistakes out the ass.
stylized art is good, animation would get pretty damn boring if everyone went for realistic artstyles. Same goes for art in general.

I'll say that I think the Splinter redesign looks pretty bad and April is weird in that she doesn't really look like April O'Neil to me, if you told me she was Irma I wouldn't bat an eye- but I'm pretty optimistic about the new series otherwise, the designs of the turtles are fine and the backgrounds look awesome, I dig the stylized feel they're going for here.

A lot of the complaining seems to be spergs that can't handle change, like how the 2003 superfans pitched a fit when 2012 came out.

Don't forget to mention the constant race changing.

Since none of you cock suckers said it that pilot you linked you is SHIT.

Mikey is the "Splinter" of that show? That's a garbage idea. And why is Mikey hiding in this world? Mutants aren't freaks in this reality. He has no reason to hide himself. And no. Fuck the art style especially for the humans since they look like shit. And no, mech shit is NOT TMNT. I don't care about these Gary Stus and Mary Sues who aren't the teenage mutant ninja turtles. I watch for the turtles and if they're as old as Michelangelo then they're worthless as they cannot fight under general terms. This entire garbage series reminds me of Megaman ZX the game where you DON'T play as Megaman, but instead as cosplayers pretending to be Megaman and Zero. Fuck this shit and fuck YOU for liking it. You shit taster.

You mean changing April *back* to being non-white like she was first drawn back in the day?

so you never saw the actual comic and just believed some shitposter?

Why can't she at least be a an adult reporter again? Or just any kind of adult?

I know it's not as good for shippers Unless you want to ship her with Splinter and make her the turtle's new mom but come on.

I have a feeling if they were to make Gargoyles again they'd turn Elisa into a spunky teenager as well.

laser bat??

Are we going to have this argument forever? Here's the objective truth.
>In the VERY first concepts April was Asian
>Eastman partially based her off of his then girlfriend, a black woman, including giving her her name, April
>In the actual comics her very first appearance is next to a Stockman, and she's noticeably far lighter skinned than she is
>In the first/one of the first official colorings she's depicted as pale skinned with red hair
>Eastman thought of April as a light skinned mixed race woman with dark hair, Laird thought of her as white

I'm not saying April can't be black, I'm just tired of the meme that she was initially black and got whitewashed by TV execs, or something. They're both valid character designs for her.

Also before you post the one page of her in the yellow dress and she's objectively black, that wasn't Eastman or Laird coloring and it was a very early issue. I think it was Laird that mentions in some artbook that she's had "a lot of looks" over time.

desu 2012 April is quite fuckable. Damn she is thick as fuck, also her ass

>also her ass
>pic not related

If they make her a teen, at least make her a tearaway that bumped into the turtles running away from the cops by hiding down the sewers.

Look at that juicy tits
Now compare to that nigger pic in OP
2012 April> Nigger april

>now we're in an era of highly stylized and completely unrealistic designs
which is funny, because if you do the same but sexualized, the same people pops out the fucking pitchforks and DEMAND realism (aka make it fat and dark skinned)

>I have a feeling if they were to make Gargoyles again they'd turn Elisa into a spunky teenager as well.

That analogy doesn’t work because Elisa at least had Goliath to play off from. The 80’s show made April seem like an equal to the turtles since they never acted like teens in the first place, and the age difference is never a factor. So, it’s easier for someone to change her to a teen to be an equal to them.

>it equals and beats out most ratings on the network.
I like how CNfags/ttgfags don't realize how stupid it is to judge a network in a vacuum ignoring the fact that better run networks receive higher ratings while cartoon network continues to fall in viewership faster than other networks in the same target demo. Even worse they do this while ignoring the context in which the network operates between irregular airing schedules, timeslots, and low advertisement that affects many CN shows but not TTG.

The present way is more efficient and cost effective

Laziness.

Low detail, highly stylized isn't inherently inferior to realistic and detailed despite what all the plebeians on this board think.
Fuck if you retards had a say Elmer Fudd would have looked like Frank Castle.

Because style =/= animation, retard.

Hiring labourers based on skill is "problematic"

Why are all redheads being blacked these days?

I grew up watching 80s TMNT on vhs again and again, you're full of shit.

What was Asian Outsourcing?

Yeah that looks pretty fucking amazing

No but you run the risk of the style you choose being fucking awful like we see here

That's besides the argument. Realistic can look like shit too.

Prove it

But Frank Castle hunting wabbits is a hilarious mental image

Wish I could TURN BACK TIIIIME
To the GOOD OLD DAAAAYS

When the tiddies gave
Us boners but now we're
Blacked out

Red hair is recessive and not as common as blonde and brunette. It’s an easy target to wipe out as the first step in destroying white genetics.

I don't even care about all that, I just have a redhead fetish so this is all very frustrating to me

Your red head fetish is a curse of redheads go extinct

youtube.com/watch?v=kNCTH4gQJ-Q

Isn’t Bauhaus an architectural philosophy?

Is this the tale of a man out for revenge for getting trapped?

Source?

Those reveals at the end made me turn 180° twice.

>Was wondering why everyone is liking this
>Looks just as ridiculous as Raph getting the nuKnuckles treatment and everyone getting the magical glowing bullshit weapons
>that ending
And then it all made sense.

You seriously think it can't? How uncultured are you?

Oh believe me, I know. And dyed redheads are an abomination 99% of the time.

Today, I will remind them.

>No proof
>Doesn't realize the ultimate defense of ugly art is to claim it's a "style"

I got better shit to do than look for bad art because you're too retarded to notice it when you see it.

Why are Americans such angry plebs?

This is why we need a new wave of dada

>"Not my job to educate you"
>"Just browbeat you with my opinion when I disagree"

What do you think modern memes are?

>liking dada
Fuck that

Problem is, by that logic animation should fire up in matters of quality and smoothness, and yet the opposite happens. So there's more advanced software to create worse designs AND lower quality animation.

I used to think that way, but I've come to appreciate it a lot in recent years. Dada is basically just a giant middle finger to all the sacred cows of the world.

Shitposting is the new dada

Oh I agree, the internet is a dada masterpiece, it just needs a more centralized movement to rally around or at least be recognized as dada by others

Dada is the old shitposting.

All I remember from my art history classes many years ago, is that bauhaus style basically means big windows.

I disagree, I think what makes it work as a counter culture is how decentralized it is, because essentially modern memes in execution act like a protest to centralized cultural monopoly cliques. I think its the first wave of a larger idea of decentralized creation of art and culture, and its not too far fetched. There's an interview where Gabe Newell basically says as much, that corporations seem big and intimidating, but are probably going to become obsolete once people figure out outsourcing to the global online community is so much more expedient that it actively loses people money NOT to involve themselves in them.

Was he wrong?

>hating bauhaus means you're a pleb
nice try kraut

I think it's too easy for memes to be co-opted though, just look at how big companies try to pick up on old ones to advertise. As counter-productive as it may seem, there is in fact a dada canon and without some measure of quality control then it can be used by the very people it's meant to rebel against.

It's not even an opinion.

>Why is this?
CGI + laziness + cost efficiency + the lemmings don't complain so nobody gives a shit

>just look at how big companies try to pick up on old ones to advertise.

You mean stuff like, "Pokémon Go to the polls"?

Thinking everything that's stylized is bad art and a commie plot makes you a pleb.

Buahaus haters are never wrong.
I actually punched my art professor for bringing up Bauhaus.

Remember how quickly they picked up on the popularity of the "Afro Circus" meme for Madagascar? That shit went viral and was in a commercial like the next month

No it doesn't.
Did you even read the screenshot?

youtube.com/watch?v=1UrpQTI6HTo
Found it

Will the world ever be saved from the scourge of Bauhaus?

I'm actually starting a campaign to ban Bauhaus from colleges and art schools.
Together, we can stop the menace that is Bauhaus.

Thats because 9/10 it looked like hot garbage, especially when you put cartoony characters/monsters next to them.

Its great you used April O'neil as an example because she literally looked so out of place in almost every scene with the turtles, especially with how the turtles were normally actually WEL animated

Kids these days are a little luckier. Since anime has become more mainstream, they can get the titties much easier

Cheaper. Ultimately it's to be cheaper.

Although you have to consider that with the decline of toys cartoons are less profitable and haul less market synergy, not to mention how the market is shifting away from TV.

That's because the animation was from Canada and subsidised by the Film Canada government grant.

Funny how this stuff only started when the new show art came out.

>titties
>not going for ASSets

Animation has changed a lot since the 80s. It's not the artists, it's the fact we don't have legions of underpaid Japanese studios willing to take on complicated projects at affordable prices.

Cheap Asian animation is being replaced with cheap, digital 2D tween animation.