X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX Plot Details

From Entertainment Weekly.

>In 1991, the X-Men – Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver, Beast and Mystique – have become national heroes for saving the world from Apocalypse. Professor Charles Xavier has became arrogant and is pushing the X-Men too hard despite Mystique’s objections. Meanwhile, Magneto has been trying to atone for his past crimes by building a safe haven for mutants in the island of Genosha.

>During a mission to rescue the crew of a malfunctioning space shuttle, Jean is exposed to solar flares that awaken the Phoenix, a powerful entity that exists within her. The Skrull Queen (Jessica Chastain), ruler of a group of shapeshifting aliens who have infiltrate Earth in order to conquer it, begins manipulating Jean by masquerading as Agent Smith, a government operative assigned as the X-Men's handler.

>After losing control of her powers and accidentally killing one of the X-Men, Jean flees to Genosha. Magneto attempts to shelter her, but the X-Men, the Skrulls and the government soon intervene, and the strain causes Jean to develop a malevolent split personality, the Dark Phoenix, who is hellbent on unleashing chaos upon the world, and the X-Men are the only ones able to stop her.

>Cyclops and Jean have a burgeoning relationship, and he is determined to save her, rising as the leader of the X-Men once even Xavier believes Jean's crimes might be too great for her to stay alive.

Jean kills Beast.

based

>that spoiler

So between this, Logan, and the DoFP ending, they’re just saying “fuck continuity” right?

the time for continuity has come and gone, at this point

Dark Phoenix, Deadpool, and New Mutants are the last movies Fox is making, right? Why would they care about any of this shit making sense at this point?

>Skrulls
>Not Shi'ar
For what purpose?

>the Skrulls
>in Dark Phoenix
Where's my fucking asshole bird aliens?

Most of it could be explained with some bullshit justification, Beast dying is completely impossible.

The spoiler is what makes me not believe this is true. Unless they use the full extent of the Phoenix's power

Well, considering Jean and Xavier apparently live too it's not that big of a stretch to think it's more time travel shenanigans.

If this is true I will say atleast it looks like Cyclops has a proper role.

But I feel like it would make most sense if Quicksilver does. For continuity and so Magneto can find out after it’s too late.

*Quicksilver dies

>Cyclops
>Proper role
lol ok

No Wolverine, though.

Aliens are too unrealistic, so they cut them out. Then they discovered that the movie is entirely empty now so they added half a Secret Invasion adaptation to it.

>Xavier has became arrogant and is pushing the X-Men too hard despite Mystique’s objections

DROPPED.

Nothing inherently wrong but in the context of the the X-Mary Sue Mystique universe created in the last half decade this is an instant no.

Did you read the description? Cyclops being shown as a leader has never been done in the movies before. I liked Marsden but his role was nothing, he was Xavier’s errand boy in one, kid napped in X2 and dies in X-Men 3. And just a rookie in Apocalypse but it showed some promise.
Also this. This will be the first X-Men movie with not a single hint of Hugh.

>Professor Charles Xavier has became arrogant and is pushing the X-Men too hard despite Mystique’s objections.

Is this for real? I remember an ew article about this movie from a while ago but it didn't say Beast was dying or that Chastain was playing a skrull

People said Cyclops was shown to be a leader in the last movie, but he barely did anything.
Thats only one factor in his favor

They're going for Onslaught, or at least they were.

Like it will matter after this one

They can't put things on hold on the off chance that the deal doesn't happen it would fuck up their schedule in the long run, so it's business as usual until it's official.

>The Skrull Queen (Jessica Chastain)

>they’re just saying “fuck continuity” right?
haven't they already?

the fox verse is coming to an end, continuity means even less than before. They should try to do a good final for this franchise and that's it.

JLaw Mystique exists. She, Prof X, and Magneto will take the spotlight AGAIN.

>Aliens are too unrealistic

The Skrulls are literally aliens.

Read the next sentence.

>Charles Xavier has became arrogant and is pushing the X-Men too hard

>After losing control of her powers and accidentally killing one of the X-Men
pls be Mystique, pls be Mystique, pls be Mystique

what a fucking bizarre mashup of stories. Some X-Factor shit, Skrulls for no reason, no Shi'ar, no genocide. maybe that's a good thing they aren't one to one?

Yep. Mystique-sue is the worst

I'm not even sure about New Mutants right now between all the delays, production issues and shit

>They're going for Onslaught
No they're not. They're going for "Xavier acts like a jerk so Mystique can be the voice of reason because she's the key to all of this"

To spite Marvel Studios (see also Quicksilver).

Skrulls? How the fuck is that going to work when Captain Marvel already has them?

Both are allowed to use regular Skrulls, but only Fox is allowed to use Super Skrull (Because FF powers and all). I'm assuming there's a similar rule now with Skrull Queen.
>tfw no Spider Woman Skrull Queen

>skrulls

Fuckin' hell, what. Pretty sure I read somewhere she was Lilandra

>and Mystique
>too hard despite Mystique’s objections.
All stations set to Jennifer Lawrence pandering.

I doubt she'll be called a Skrull though, kind of like Viper in The Wolverine wasn't Madame Hydra. What an odd final FOX X-Men movie to do; a story we already did

>Hans Zimmer score
>Scott is leader
>Mad max action team

>the spoiler

Mashed together with a completely unrelated story too.

>X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX Plot Details
>After losing control of her powers and accidentally killing one of the X-Men, Jean flees to Genosha. Magneto attempts to shelter her, but the X-Men, the Skrulls and the government soon intervene, and the strain causes Jean to develop a malevolent split personality, the Dark Phoenix, who is hellbent on unleashing chaos upon the world, and the X-Men are the only ones able to stop her.

Alexandra Shipp said X-Men Dark Phoenix will be very closed to the comics
What part of this is true to comics?

>One X-Men Actress Says Dark Phoenix Will Be Closer To The Comics

>It's definitely a darker world. A lot more is going on at this point. I can't say too much but what I can say is that, as a fan of the X-Men franchise, I know a lot of people are going to be happy with how accurate this one is.

Alexandra Shipp's smoke something?

Is there any way for the sake of common human decency that Disney can stop this movie from coming out?

I hope Marvel cancels this movie.

>onslaught
not even hollywood is this stupid

I do not understand, even without Singer
Fox continues to make the same mistake, over and over again
20 years of mistakes
Fox producers are trying to invent the wheel, when what people want is for them to be more faithful to the source of origin

>That spoiler

At least I get to watch him die in universe...even if it is the shitty Foxverse.

Ironic you post this since she calls him one for the exact opposite reason.

It's pretty accurate minus a few things. user. When Disney does It I guess it's okay.

Is that Stanza Stark?

anyone else getting irrationally angry at this bitchs face?

Rumors say that Disney wanted Fox to cancel X-Men Apocalypse because they had their own plans/idea for a X-Men MCU reboot and didn’t want Dark Pheonix to confuse people. Fox said no and continued on with the project.

People say that stuff all the time, user. They never mean it.

Fox has been trying to confuse people for 20 years unintentionally, I don't know how much more damage can be done to the franchise.
And really, the X-Men have one of, if not the most deep Rogues gallery, there's plenty of room for them to go in different directions and reestablish themselves.

yup

So this means the Skrull Queen is going to be put in place of Mastermind as the manipulative tempter.

>no one questioning whether OP is full of shit or not
Here's the real synopsis
>Set in 1992, nine years after the events of X-Men: Apocalypse, the X-Men have become a household name and a public sensation, and Dark Phoenix opens with the X-Men, including Mystique, Beast, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Quicksilver, in a new, unexpected role: national heroes. Charles Xavier even lands on the cover of Time magazine. But his growing ego puts the team at risk. Pride is starting to get the better of the Professor, and he encourages the X-Men to do more as superheroes by pushing them to more extreme missions. Unfortunately, after they’re dispatched to space for a rescue mission, a solar flare hits the X-Jet and the surge of energy ignites a malevolent, power-hungry new force within Jean Grey - the Phoenix. This unaccounted for accident greatly empowers Jean, but also causes her to lose control of herself and act irrationally. All the while, an alien shapeshifter seeks to use Jean for her own intentions, believing her to be "the Phoenix". Now the X-Men will have to decide if the life of a team member is worth more than all the people living in the world
That doesn't make any sense. The sellout wasn't even a thing at the time.

That pic looks like a Tori Amos cover from the 90s.

Yes.

Five star post

The new timeline doesnt end at the DoFP epilogue. This was explained a trillion times. Apocalypse awakening changed the timeline again.

The new timeline is open ended.

>another Mystique is the beacon of hope/mora complex episode

I can’t wait for Disney to finalize this deal with Fox

It's not true. Holy crap

>Spoiler
Please tell me you are joking OP. This is fake right?

Bet you this gets delayed like New Mutants

New mutants wasn't done filming. That's why the trailer had no lowers. DP is.
It's not

Why the fuck do they want Beast to suffer so much?

How do you know? Movie isn't even out yet

>Emplying this movie even gets released

>Shapeshifter aliens
>In a movie with Mystique

Sure, they'll invite the confusion of normies going
>SO MYSTIQUE IS AN ALIEN???

How is this any less faithful than any storyline the MCU has adapted?

He's the most expendable founding X-Man.

>implying

The Fenix saga was successful because it took more than 20 years.
Jean Gray was the girl next door, the heroine
and then she became the most powerful of the group.
This took almost 20 years, a story was built here.
The power and mental influence of Jason Wyngarde, the clash with the hellfire club and the clash against Shi'ar imperial guard
They simply ignored all this for all the news that came out

In the movies, I mean.

SHE'S SO FUCKING UGLY

The first three movies were in seamless continuity. The third one was garbage, of course, but it wasn't a continuity mess. Then Wolverine Origins happened, again, not a good movie, but not a complete continuity mess, although it does get a little murky. First lass is where the screwyness started, and that was only, what, 8 years ago? And it would've bee fine if they just called it a reboot.

It's fake is what I meant. It's fake dude.
First off. Why would a movie post a major spoiler like that in the article?
Second off. I made a thread about the synopsis already. OP added the Mystique, Skull, beast death, and Jean going to Genosha. (which might be true idk).

just let this franchise die, and stay dead for a decade.

I meant skrull. My grammar is garbage.

Evan Peters is the guy I'll feel most sorry for if Disney decides to start all over with X-Men. He made Quicksilver popular after 50 years of comics couldn't do it. He stole an entire movie and more or less upstaged a more comics-accurate Quicksilver from Disney and he may still lose his job in the end.

I forgot that Dazzler and Sunfire are in this movie. OP is full of shit.
I feel bad for everyone because this movie seems pretty great. The production was fast and Kinberg talked about the problems with Apocalypse. The team behind everything is solid from the action to Hans Zimmer returning to Cape movies.

What's pretty accurate, O.P's Fox summary compared to the actual Dark Phoenix saga? user, please.

The real summary is basically The team goes to space which causes Jean to become the pheonix which causes Aliens to want to kill her. There's a reason OP doesn't have a source link

Yep I'd gathered the O.P was full of shit the second I read it. Still hope this movie gets stopped however.

Is Angel still alive in the movies? I never saw Apocalypse.

He died (probably) in AoA.

I doubt they'll totally reboot the X-Men in the MCU. I can see them merging the universes somehow and keeping certain popular actors. Like, Ryan Reynolds is still going to be Deadpool.

They won't keep current X-Men canon. Its a goddamn mess, and they don't want to needlessly confuse the general audience even with Infinity Gauntlet fuckery. Deadpool is another thing entirely and a non issue considering he transcends canon. Hell, his movie isn't even X-Men canon, its standalone

This is obviously bullshit. Skrulls are going to be in Captain Marvel. They aren't making them the villains of two separate franchises coming out around the same time.

>DOFP Ending
wouldn't it make more sense if Jean killed Mystique or Magneto?

What they will and should do is reboot Xmen into 90s era quiptastic shit with Jubilee, Rogue, Gambit, Storm, Wolverine, Jean and Cyclops fighting Sentinels.

If they want to add it to the MCU they'll have to make Rogue draining Miss Marvel a thing but because that would interfere with Captain Marvel's big MCU push they'll make Xmen a standalone universe.and have that be a random mutant she drained instead

this better be the last one then. Kelsey Grammer better have a role as beast in something after this. i'm sick of people overlooking that role for him.

if they play cornflake girl at the climax of the movie i'm gonna laugh. that's so over the top it'd brighten my day.

iceman is so expendable they arbitrarily made him gay, jean has died twice and cyclops has died once. cable and nate grey are better, more compelling characters than cyclops or jean grey

if anything, beast and angel are the foundation of the x-men franchise. angel because of his relation to apocalypse and beast isn't expendable as an x-man because he's also an avenger.

Those aren't Iceman.

can't have an idiocracy that loves movies if there's an intelligent character preventing the script from being dumbed down

This. The Phoenix saga should either have been a Thanos level build up or better utilized in TV format, preferably animated where most of Phoenix's crazy shit can go wild.