Do you prefer homicidal, goofy, or edgy Joker?

Or a little of everything?

I just don't want Jokergod.

I am tired of the Joker always winning or everybody shaking in their boots for some bullshit reason.

I unironically like Telltale Joker more than those three archetypes.

Goofy Joker is best. He still kills people though.

What's Telltale Joker like?

Keeping it as spoiler free as possible, they basically role reversed Joker and Harley, and he's an absolute bro towards Bruce. It's kind of fanservicey, but they keep it tame and tasteful.

Goofy Joker who kills people when its actually funny is best Joker.

>Moore's 80 joker
>"Bronze Age"
lad

Goofy Joker, you say?

Goofy, but also homicidal. Crimes are pulled for the laugh, and if one involves death, well what are ya gonna do?

golden age joker looks like he wants to sell me a used car

In other words, DCAU Joker.

That sounds like a pretty excellent kinda AU honestly
Almost like a Batman sitcom

Homicidal Joker for anything really serious, goofy Joker for everything else.

Edgy horror movie villain Joker ruined the character for me until Telltale and the guy writing The Dark Prince Charming fixed him again. Fuck Snyder and his group of asslickers hard, they don't know how to write a good Joker to save their lives.

It gets even better when you get invited into a gig they have with Bane and Mr. Freeze.
I haven't liked anything Telltale put out this much since TWOU, including earlier Batman seasons they released, and I recommend it.

I like my Joker to be a criminal(ly) insane mastermind but I'm a sucker for edgy Joker. Not the kind of I'm gonna cut your face one though, more like really mentally deranged or "I'm gonna shoot you through your neck anyway even if you helped me" kind.

I like all three.

depends on the setting and the tone that is to be set.
i do like goofy joker, though. making life inconvenient for others for his own goofy amusement is funny to watch.

I was going to make a thread about this but this is as good a place to discuss it I guess:

Why is it suddenly cool to dislike The Killing Joke now? Yeah, it's no Watchmen, but just because Moore doesn't like it doesn't mean it isn't a good little story. So why are all these contrarians coming out of the woodwork to slam it?

Homosexual

A bit of all 3. See the trick to a good Joker is balancing comedy with horror, and making sure he's not batgod levels of broken/THINGS ARE NEVER GOING TO BE THE SAME type deal. Just look at The Dark Prince Charming; there's no Gotham ending grand scheme, its just Joker doing stuff for shits and giggles

I think we shit on the movie more than we do the actual comic. But mostly its people shouting "Not Canon!"

I un-ironically think that the Killing Joke did a lot of unintentional harm to the character, as well as TDKReturns, as every writer who drew from those sources as inspiration for their Joker missed the point as to why they were good depictions and as a result rely too much on gore and edge for shock value.

Yeah, this.

I think TKJ was the best thing to happen to Babs, thus becoming Oracle, but DC went and backpedaled that shit and ruined it

Who shots non-canon at the Killing Joke? DC back during its stupid decision making spree that was the New 52 confirmed that it was canon despite Barbara running around, getting people in danger due to her ptsd from the incident.

This. Animated series Joker was a good example.
Though if I really had to pick one, goofy Joker for all the crazy crap he's tried to pull.

It almost makes me wish that the SJW's accusations of albeism actually went somewhere, but there was no turning back from the shit decision they made once they made it. She has literally never been good in any comic after the New 52.

Homicidal without being genocidal, while retaining a sense humor and being completely insane instead of the super-sane bullshit.

>Why is it suddenly cool to dislike The Killing Joke now?
The movie came out a few years ago and it was a complete dumpster fire. People blame it all on the adaptation process (and admittedly, a lot of what was wrong with the movie was Azarello and Timm's OC), but other people used it as an opportunity to point out that the original story isn't anywhere near as good as a lot of people make it out to be.

I do utterly despise the Brian Bolland recolors though. John Higgins' original colors were perfect.

There used to be a rumor that The Killing Joke was supposed to be an Elseworlds story that DC later incorporated in to the canon due to its surprise popularity, which annoyed Alan Moore since he never intended the crippling of Barbara to be permanent. It's completely false, though. Moore went in to the book knowing it'd be in-canon with the DCU, and wrote it accordingly. He even specifically asked DC for the permission to cripple Barbara, which he wouldn't of needed to do if it were an Elseworlds story. What he was annoyed about was himself using the crippling of Barbara as a cheap shock tactic to show that The Joker 'means business' this time, and that he should've done something more significant with it.

The Arkham Series Joker would have been perfect had he not killed so many people. Shit, I need to read the O'Neil's run that BTAS was based on, is there any collections still in print.

I agree Satan, at least other writers did something good with Oracle. Shame Chuck Dixon will never write Barbara again, he's done the only modern interpretation of Batgirl that I've liked, as well as a great Oracle.

50% Goofy
30% Homicidal
20% Edgy

Do the current "three Jokers" hinted at correspond to the ages or what?

no. three jokers are golden, kj, endgame

This is fucking gold
Someone PLEASE post Joker vs Red Skull
That kind of Joker is just so perfect

HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS

I want a Joker who is always funny no matter how dark or edgy the story is.

I want him to still be laughing hysterically at a normal whoopie cushion gag while Dr Light is raping another man's wife in the background.

This is the correct answer. Joker is a fun villain no matter how you play him, but the whole "Joker can never face comeuppance no matter how hard people try because Batgod wills it" is one of the most autistic circlejerks in the DC canon. If you want the Joker to be a powerful threat, then make him only come out once in a while, when he has a really funny joke. If you want the Joker to be a common foe, then you need to make sure that he can still lose, and that his schemes are never too large in scale (a la goofy joker). If he has all of Gotham in the palm of his hand every week, he undermines not only Batman but every other character in Gotham. Even worse when the Justice League gets involved and he STILL manages the upper hand.

that shouldn't have gotten me as bad as it did

>The character was intended to be killed in his second appearance in Batman #1, after being stabbed in the heart. Finger wanted the Joker to die because of his concern that recurring villains would make Batman appear inept
For FUCKS SAKES writers

I don't know how to feel about that actually happening. Granted, Joker is an overused fuck, but I blame him being poorly written most of the time for it being not as enjoyable.

>I need to read the O'Neil's run that BTAS was based on, is there any collections still in print.
Well there a collection of Neal Adams batman issues, many of which are written by O'Neil.
I there is also a seventies Batman collection which should also have a bunch of O'Neil issues.

Proof that Finger was and will always be based.

There usually has to be a comic logic to his actions, with theatrical flair filling in the gaps.

My favorite is when he commits crimes that are petty or pointless because of it. Stealing Johnny's report card has logic behind it--it's the perfect crime as no one would believe him.

There's also the example in Hell on Earth where he tries to kill everyone in the Gotham phonebook whose name is a pallindrome, or when in The Long Halloween he reenacts the plot of the Grinch (without killing anyone) before trying to gas everyone in Gotham Square because "the odds are he or she might be in the crowd tonight".

I still think one of the best scenes with the Joker was when the fat guy that Joker was tormenting in Joker's Favor had cornered him int an alley way with a bomb and the Joker started begging for his life.

>Killing Joke was canonized
>not once did it occur to anyone at DC to bring back Joker's wife as a Black Lantern for Blackest Night and have them interact
>yet Terry fucking Long and Donna's dead baby come back
Of all the missed opportunities, this could've been a legendary one.

>For FUCKS SAKES writers
Is not an issue with writes but with editorial, there are writers like Rucka who are as tired of him as the readers but you are not allowed to kill the cash cow.

I like that he spreads his hatred of robins around. It doesnt make sense, but its kind of funny

So, was it ever explained what the fuck the purpose of this scene was?

More importantly: what was his fucking problem?

Snyder had nothing to do with SS Joker.

Snyder's Joker IS edgy. How anyone can even stand to read Death of the Family is still so amazing to me, it's not even so bad it's good, it's so bad it's horrendous.

He's probably talking about Scott Snyder ya Sup Forums fag. And it's true, Snyder wrote a shit Joker.

oof I've been found out
better see myself out

Maybe I'm the only one on this, but the Azzarello Joker from Batman: Europa seemed fine. He just needed a sharper writer (or an inspired Azzarello), but the base in which I feel like the Joker has the most potential was there.

I want a goofy Batman to irritate an edgy Joker.

>So, was it ever explained what the fuck the purpose of this scene was?
To provide fuel for the fujoshits.

Christ, I can only imagine the autistic sperging out.

So Golden Age Joker doesn’t have that homosexual obsession with Bats right? So he should be the most dangerous.

Finger really was the brains behind Batman. Fucking hell he knew Joker would cause problems from the start.

Did anyone else notice that Joker in the Return of the Joker flashback was significantly more evil and sadistic than he was portrayed in the DCAU up to that point? Like comparing him to the times he was in TNBASA and Justice League/JLU it seems like something shifted.

My version of him is a more sinister Bugs Bunny

That sounds perfect.

There's a reason the WB execs began shitting themselves during this scene when they saw it the first time.

Dude imagine a Batman Daffy and Joker Bugs parody
And Porky would be Robin with Lola as Harley
Shit that'd be cool