JSA Storytime: Question

Good evening owls,

last part of the annual

DC Zoom : Lion Forge CubHouse
DC Ink : Lion Forge Roar

except that no one's ever heard of the Lion Forge books

Hello, Storyteller.

Right, so what do we all think of this DC Zoom/Ink thing?

>DC Ink
HARLEY QUINN by Mariko Tamaki and Steve Pugh
MERA by Danielle Paige
BATMAN: GOTHAM HIGH – Melissa de la Cruz (ALEX & ELIZA, BLUE BLOODS series, WITCHES OF EAST END series)
BATMAN: NIGHTWALKER – THE GRAPHIC NOVEL – Marie Lu (LEGEND series)
TEEN TITANS – Kami Garcia (BEAUTIFUL CREATURES series)
UNDER THE MOON: A CATWOMAN TALE – Lauren Myracle (INTERNET GIRLS series, KISSING KATE)
WONDER WOMAN: TEMPEST TOSSED – Laurie Halse Anderson (SPEAK and CHAINS)

>DC Zoom
DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS – Shea Fontana and Yancey Labat
BATMAN TALES: ONCE UPON A CRIME – writer and artist: Derek Fridolfs, Dustin Nguyen (BATMAN: LI’L GOTHAM)
BATMAN: OVERDRIVE – Shea Fontana (DC SUPER HERO GIRLS series)
BLACK CANARY: IGNITE – Meg Cabot (THE PRINCESS DIARIES series)
DEAR JUSTICE LEAGUE – Michael Northrop (TOMBQUEST series)
GREEN LANTERN: LEGACY – Minh Lê (DRAWN TOGETHER)
SUPER SONS – Ridley Pearson (KINGDOM KEEPERS series)
SUPERMAN OF SMALLVILLE – writer and artist: Art Baltazar & Franco (TINY TITANS)
SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN – Gene Yang (AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER series, NEW SUPER-MAN), will be released as periodicals first, then collected

...At least Black Canary, Wonder Woman, Mera, and Teen Titans get something.

That's certainly something

getting actual YA authors who sell YA books to do them is a good sign for what they're aiming at

Meg Cabot has sold a *fuckload* of books

>Mera
>Black Canary
>Green Lantern
neat

this is a really cool idea though, aiming for the YA audience is a good idea

The Superman vs. KKK one by Gene Luen Yang generated an instant saltmine yesterday here but attention over the Superb Owl and the Philly celwbration riots persisted.

And it's specifically tagged and corralled stuff for those audiences, it's not the same as saying "Let's give a mainline comic to a novelist who's never written comics before!", and this stuff is clearly going to be more edited and hand-held than that was.

the crowd chanting FUCK TOM BRADY~ made me laugh

DC trying something smart to expand their base is super weird

I'm hoping all those books are good and do well. Interesting to see later if marvel tries the same thing if they do sell well.

I still can't believe some Philly guy ate actual shit.

Some guy in Cleveland I think did the exact same thing last year.

Is this going to be a thing going forward?

>WONDER WOMAN: TEMPEST TOSSED – Laurie Halse Anderson (SPEAK and CHAINS)
I have no idea who that is, so I'm just going to assume it's going to be utter shit until it comes out and... well, proves to be utter shit. Because Diana isn't allowed to catch a fucking break. She finally got her own movie, and now DC is working extra hard to shit on her. In other words; harumph.

update: I saved the kid in Redcliffe without getting anyone killed although the temptation to go "Hey, sexy demon, you can just have the kid lol" was very strong, for once, because his mom is annoying

think about it this way: Sturgeon's Law always applies to everything, but the more shit she's in, the more likely the 10% comes into play at all

Yes, because why would Superman, of all people, be opposed to a group that actively promotes violent intolerance? That's just silly.

Also on a slow comic book news day, Lee Weeks announced a new arc of Batman to be drawn by him and to be released between Tony Daniel's arc and DC's wedding of the year.

there are some pretty good variant covers of the Ivy issues out that are great in that she's totally a villain on them

i'm bracing for Finch on 50 to fuck up this flow of decent artists

so hey if anyone has an itch to storytime, we're going to be off for about a week or so soon

also we have a lot left but what should we read next? contrast would be nice

>Finch
You now remember King and Doyle had a scuffle over who would draw the engagement because King wanted Finch so now Doyle isn't bat editor anymore

They've made an arrest in the murder of Manapul's sister-in-law, but that isn't directly comics

... That's cynical as fuck, Storyteller.

The more stuff she's in, through sheer probability, at least some of it has to turn out to not be shit. ... Eh, I'll take it.

Contrast as in SOP?

That's...good. Hope it leads somewhere.

I saw that Preacher user is back doing some stuff, but there haven't been too many storytimes lately. I think the Texas user is either taking a break, or is mia

I know it's a repeat, but I do recall you talking up Infinity Inc. some time ago.

I'm a realist

naw, just after reading something srs bzns, it's nice to go for a change in tone, topic, whatever

II is pretty long, tho

is this /d/?

that dialog is something for sure

>his kink is also OK

like, it's not just me, right?

Gotta say, not sure if getting kids into capeshit is a good idea. Seems unwise to introduce them to a lifetime of disappointment and bitterness.

might as well teach 'em early

they need to learn how life works

You could always just give em a collection of All Star Squadron and then COIE

Awww yeah, just in time!

HI JUDGE

WHO EEZ DEEZ WOOMAN TEEGAN

you could give them a copy of earth 2 vol 1 and earth 2 vol 4!

that fukken 80s power suit she's in, damn

if I weren't a good person I would have done the "yeah, we can do the blood magic thing with your life" option, but I'm a good person and had saved the mages

couldn't talk Irving into going into the Fade for me, got lol no'd there

And skip right over Khalid?

>bangles
>Michael Jackson jacket
>skull earrings
This fucking look... I love how all the way through these annuals, her looks have gone from plain to cute to this. Also, her dialogue is so good in this issue.

ooh, that's mean

all of the setup, then all of the pissing on it

>might as well teach 'em early
Right, so here's a potentially controversial opinion. I always hated the idea of sanitizing children's media for the sake of "protecting them". Truth is, kids need to learn that shit exists, otherwise they won't have any ability to reasonably deal with it when they grow up.

It's a cliche example sure, but the Gargoyles episode Deadly Force got it through my skull that one does not fuck with guns.

Obviously, I ain't saying that stuff aimed at kids should have hardcore sex and gore, but shielding children from the world is just going to turn them into borderline psychotic idiots who lash out at anything they aren't used to. Hint hint.

I read cape comics all the time, but I'm rarely angry or disappointed. The key is to let them age properly.

supreme self-knowledge or supreme bullshit? you decide? probably both!

You sound gay.

Here's one of my absolute favorite things about this run in relation to Shiva: Vic is completely non-judgemental about her. It's not like her appearances in BoP where you get Dinah constantly moaning about "IF SHE WERE ONLY A GOOD GIRL AND DIDN'T MURDER SO MANY FUCKS SHE COULD BE SUCH A HERO". Unless necessary, Vic doesn't waggle any fingers or warn Shiva. The guy has his own problems to worry about and respects her for what she is.

And here's the other: if you go with a fine comb, you can see that O'Neil is very, very careful to always balance Shiva murdering everyone with her being tender and caring. She helps kill Vic, then brings him back. She murders a bunch of dudes, then heals Tot. It's something that's made a lot more explicit in a later issue, but you can see O'Neil really wants that moniker to mean something beyond just a cool codename.

Your shit's all fucked up.

yeah, it gets really tiresome in BoP, and honestly, I never liked that kind of pressure angle from Dinah, it felt a bit pasted on

It's perfectly possible that Cowan just wanted to draw her looking beautiful, but even the art supports the gulf between Shiva as someone detached from human issues and Vic as someone who's too stuck in the mud to really rise above it. Her face is spotless and clean, while Vic's is littered with lines and shading, especially around the eyes.
Also, O-Sensei got some animu eyebrows going on.

It feels like it has to be there because Black Canary is a HERO and HEROES don't kill and they don't suffer people who DO kill. But you go back ten or fifteen years and you get Canary with an M60 mowing down dudes to rescue Ollie, or sparring around with Shiva, and it's like... why you gotta be so judgemental, girl?

Simone is a cunt.

right, right, it's a deliberate direction chosen for Dinah but one that doesn't work with her earlier post-Crisis stuff, and it';s such expected hero sentimental glurge too

>hundreds
Okay no, at this point, O Sensei is a means of getting rid of shitty mooks. Dude's a glorified trash disposal.

sometimes Simone has a moralfag streak and sometimes she lets her more interesting impulses fly

Wow bats, way to be a cunt.

I think a lot of it comes down to that era as well, that post 2000s awkward "revival" of "traditional" heroism and heroic values that only got more and more ridiculous over time. But this run is from that era where Bats could watch Geo-Force throw a guy down a castle wall and at most be like "Well that's not what *I* would've done but OK..."
I'm not gonna lie, I really like that era.

not that moralfag capeshit can't also be interesting, it can, but it has to be the right character, story, tone, etc.

that really was an amazing moment, wasn't it?

so how are you owls today

I am 99.9% sure I am sick and have got to get well soon

>and sometimes she lets her more interesting impulses fly
You mean like the time she gave Diana some new friends in the form of a cadre of gorilla knights? Yeah, I'd say that's pretty interesting.

I miss Tolifar.

Some family tragedy.
But making it by.

Hope that your illness passes soon.

that, and original Seekrit Six as compared to Nu S6

hope shit gets better, Dave

Here's hoping a quick recovery. Doing fine on my end, weather's warm as fuck but living is easy otherwise. Enjoying sperging out about my favorite DC female character in her prime.

I gotta Friday flight so there's time to call out sick/rest up/go to doctor if it doesn't improve, but still...

Thanks, OP.
Life can go by in a flash.

You should probably get that checked out. Get the full test too, the rapid test has been reported as unreliable.

Villains being properly characterized as people, yet still being clearly evil is my fuckin jam.

still job searching

finished the first 1/2 of one piece finally and trepidation about starting pt 2

claremont excalibur is wild, has dirty pair, dr who, and another insane cameo i'm blanking on

complex situations that end up being so obviously one or the other are not my jam

so how was the real event of yesterday, the Puppy Bowl?

Had a long ass day. New guy started at work and I had to help train him, which sucks because I'm not really good at teaching (the social anxiety doesn't help either). I honestly felt like a deer in headlights at times.

Humanity won. Final scoreboard: Adorable.

oh yeah it was a fucking Sandman Death cameo

Ooh, yeah, that can be an adventure

what's out this week?

still the best mullet

Batman, Duggan Guardians Adam Warlock one shot, Black Bolt, Jean Grey X-Men starts

Hey OP. Shiva got calves.

that's all kind of meh, really

Deathstroke

Dastardly and Muttley finale

bitch don't skip leg day

thanks for reading, odds are good we're on tomorrow because odds are good I call out sick

now, time to hunt down an Urn

oh shiiiiiiiiiiii-

i'm excited for Warlock bc Allred is drawing it and the reveal/cliffhanger with him from the last Guardians issue was KANG

Fuuuuck yes. I don't want the ride to end but I can't wait to see how it ends.

So which one of these is the Bendis imprint?

It has been so fucking good.
Two actual HP homages in two years?

What a nice time.

Neither, those are young adult and kid's imprints