How the fuck are these from the same show?

How the fuck are these from the same show?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7bYsMqQt0lo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Being On-model is for racists and sexists.

BUT
WHAT IF
STEVEN'S
PENIS
GETS IN
THE WAY

"if you can recognize the character, it's on model"
-Ian JQ

I have mixed feelings on this.

>left is unfuckable
>right is slightly fuckable
which one do you choose?

>pearl on the left is from the first episode
>right pearl has a gross offmodel tiny nose

Different storyboarders for a show that is storyboard-driven.

Also, one Pearl is from episode 2, whereas the other Pearl is from episode 72.

>SU thread
>guaranteed replies

God I hate this show I couldn’t make it past four episodes.

i don't
that's a lazy excuse for poor animation

I love these threads.

Tiny head pearl.

It won't.

This is just art evolution, and it happens in every show. The real damning shit is when characters look wildly different in episodes that are close together, which SU is also guilty of.

why is this OK, but SU is not?

It's okay for both IMO, but that's a bad example because the Tracy Ullman shorts were basically the pilot of the Simpsons and pilots almost always differ wildly from the show proper.

noseless poil

"""evolution"""

You gonna make the argument that left looks better than right in

You gonna make the argument that the right looks better than the left in

HOW MUCH DID YOU TELL HIM

No, but some parts of it can evolve and other parts de-evolve. Really early SU episodes look very rough, then they got better, then a lot worse.

close some fucking tabs christ

One of those tabs better be Gay Sex with Hats On.

What you're looking for is the term flanderization, which can also apply to designs. And fladerization is almost always bad, either in design or personality.

Honestly i wouldnt mind it if they went off model to make characters look better, problem is it usually makes them look worse like in

who?

The Diamonds did nothing wrong.

Buddy if you're gonna be that guy who recites Tv Tropes at least know what you mean. I've never head flanderization referring to design.

I'M STEVEN
youtube.com/watch?v=7bYsMqQt0lo

Is it true that they refuse to use reference sheets?
Can someone tell me why and give a source? As much as I enjoy the show, some of the fucking art in it can be unbearable sometimes.

I know they have reference sheets but it might be a thing where creative liberty is so far that they let them do whatever they want. I'm sure they still use reference sheets but their freedom means the sheets don't really mean much.

the left was a spinoff of right. Spinoffs are completely allowed to have a different style. The important part is consistency.

Consistency is fascist.

It's almost like they actually started caring after the first dozen or so episodes

while Ian uses that quote, it's actually from someone else: Kent Butterworth (Who's worked with Ralph Bakshi and John K, was animation director on some season 1 simpsons eps, and was showrunner on AoStH)

They have Model Sheets but the animators are told to stick closely to the boards

>actually started caring

i bet you don't even remember what half those tabs are

>hating on Based Cucamonga and Pizzapopolous

First appearance vs Most recent appearance.
Fun fact she only appeared two times in the show, and they already fucked up her design by making her look like Steven but with a bigger nose.

one of them did, though

Flanderization has nothing to do with art style.

I think you cherrypicked the two most polar designs for Pearl in the whole show so far. Nice job.

Well that's not fair. Obviously going to college means less time for fanart.

Hi Neil.

STEVEN'S

PENIS

Style changes over time, especially at the beginning

Check spongebob
Check garfield
Check lots of other cartoons/comics

The shows artstyle peaked early on in the show in season one, other than occasional stinkers do to individual storyboarders which resulted in a high fluctuation in style it was the best it's been.
Since then it's just been a race to the bottom, almost every story boarder now is mediocre, but at least they are more consistent, consistently bad that is.

Funny then that the art people complain about the most was raven's since she was part of the show since the beginning till the end of season 4.

In fact raven is responsible for the 3 peridots on the right here.

Right Connie's legs piss me off so much

Is she at least still the same height as Steven?

I'm triggered

DOBSON WAS FAMICOM ALL ALONG

Why is #3 best Peri?

Because of the perfect shortstack size

Decrepify!

Rebecca just doesn't care anymore; Before SU, she was confident in her abilities and knew what she was trying to create. Look at her posts online, where she said she'd fight for ideas on Adventure Time or her notes on characters designs for SU, with passive aggressive notes like "They have 5 fingers on each hand!!"

Now look at her - Her show was a runaway success, but the network didn't know what to do with it, so they just kept shoving it into corners and only showing off aspects of it, to give it the appearance of something they did understand. That fit their mold. They kept undermining Sugar trying to turn the show into what they wanted.

The fans also didn't help. No matter what she does, or what occurs behind the scenes of the show, it's all her fault. These 2 characters interacted in a way and a fan misreads the context so they complain about it online; say said fan is semi-popular online, having a few hundred followers. The message will spread, seeming worse, and Sugar while be bombarded with attack. This is especially harsher than a show like Adventure Time because SU is being used to bring attention to particular details of life Sugar believes should be addressed in a more understandable environment, so her trying to help is just deconstructed. Look at the hellfire she received for the Concrete incident, which she literally had no part of outside of allowing into the book.

I think Sugar is broken now. Her creation is no longer what she intended it to be and the network won't let it grow into what she wants either. Why force the effort of your crew into a better vision if it'll never be achieved? It's better to just stick to episodes about whacky Townies not knowing how to cook rather than explaining to kids that morality is grey, and that's alright, as long you know how to handle it.

This video is my favorite shitpost ever.

Nice fanfic user, but you don't know what's going on in sugars mind.

Nah, she's just assimilating into the californian art scene cult her rich jewish family molded her to be part of.

SU off model outrage threads should be a bannable offense at this point.

At this point you really make me wonder what it would be if this show was on Nick rather than CN.

Fuck Disney, it would run for 2 seasons then get the axe.

Pearl on the left looks like a Regular Show character, yeesh. I think Season 5's art is pretty good overall (Lamar's stuff aside) and with Raven+Zuke gone and the 3 new boarders in (one of which did Jungle Moon) it's the best it's been in a while.

You do know none of that is true, right? She wanted the show to be slice-of-life focused and for boarders to be allowed to do their own thing with the character models from the start.

Rather than shitting up the catalog with another SU thread I'll just ask here: How can this show be considered slice of life if there's tons of magic and fantasy involved? Isn't that the exact opposite of what slice of life is? Even when Steven is hanging out with Townies, he uses magic.

When I think of slice of life, I think of Clarence or Hey Arnold. SU wouldn't fit in between those shows.

This show died with Jasper.

I wanna say he's wrong but then I'd be wrong

god, did every fucking autist get involved in the SU size issue? it was on Sup Forums and then tumblr started bitching with 80% defending it and then it spilled to twitter and youtube

So do I.

I want to vomit from that rebecca panel

>Pearl on the left looks like a Regular Show character
RS is better

Waitress Pearl is best offmodel Pearl.

This shit cracks me up, Steven goes from anywhere from being about 4 heads tall to 2 heads tall, that is way off the mark.
That's twice the difference in proportions, how the hell do two people look at the same character and get such different results, this is like basic drawing and observation skills and I think Sugar herself draws him at 3 tall.
Some variance in style is expected but hugely different proportions? That's a lack of skill and basic fundamentals showing.

what about greg and pearl was misread by the fanbase?

The stool will never not bother me, it's one thing to just draw him smaller, but they actually thought "steven's small in-universe and needs a stepping stool", they had to THINK about the size rather than scribble it down, and add in a new element relating to it

That's my wife you're talking about

This one actually sort of has an explanation.
The one on the left is from early season 1, I think the first episode. The one on the right is from near the end of season 2, 72 episodes in.
Pearl's design sort of fluctuated early in season 1 before settling on her current design, and that's actually pretty common in animation. You can look at season 1 of The Simpsons, Spongebob, or EEnE and many others for subtle differences in character design compared to later seasons.
Yeah the show's inconsistent as fuck and it's dumb that Sugar gives her boarders so much free reign, but this is actually a case of design evolution more than inconsistency.

I think the user was talking to about the shitshow after the episodes about Peridot and Lapis aired - A lot of the crew got accused of queer baiting or making fun of lesbian couples; and then Lauren Zuke had a melt down on top of that too

Isn't the entire show queerbaiting? That episode was one of the least gay ones for me.
I feel bad about only watching it recently, since I missed out on all the controversy and the bits and pieces I get sound funny as shit

Can't stomach the truth?

It's almost like it doesn't effect how the stories told at all. I wouldn't expect someone who knows nothing about making cartoons to know that though

fuck off this is a penis universe thread
i mean Steven

Because she is the perfect sized shortstack that makes you want to fuck her face till she poofs.

Yeah, Connie is pretty fucked.

You gotta be kidding me

Because she is best smug girl.

>duhhh it’s on model sonic
Do they get how flawed this is? recognizable=/=consistent

>made for syndication show has to be animated by several companies with different yet consistent standards
>weekly show is boarded by storyboarders who “do their own style” because the creator enables them to be lazy
>ITS NOT A FLAW
sounds like Dobson is trying to defend being lazy, surprise surprise

sawce?

>Mature looking brown female
>Black midget child whose hair is still somehow the same length from when she was twice her size
>"""""Evolution""""""

This is a bad example for criticism, because right looks far better than the left, and left was one of the first episodes and right shows that they've actually improved, there's way greater errors in the animation of this show

I had a teacher who worked on both Animaniacs , Tiny Toons, and Rugrats. He stated that Warner Bros. constantly sent back entire episodes due to inconsistencies with Animation and Character Models. Fuck off Dobson, stop lying.

I hate the new character designs so much. Their heads are bigger than their fucking bodies.

GUISE
STOOOOP