Should superheroes wear their costumes to funerals? Even funerals of non-heroes?

Should superheroes wear their costumes to funerals? Even funerals of non-heroes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KQRwhM6teqY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergirl_(Matrix)
youtube.com/watch?v=wn5K9S3kNo4
theguardian.com/uk/2009/sep/20/elliott-delaney-funeral-dress-promise
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why can’t they let Roy just be happy?

who's between donna and bats?

Mia the second Speedy.

Depends on the character, and the Non-Heroes I suppose.

I can't remember a single time it didn't come off as totally retarded. I get that they need their identities to be hidden but it's still kind of disrespectful and silly

It depends on the costume. Superman or Green Lantern should, while Zatanna should probably switch to formalwear.

Well OP, you've got two conflicting problems here

1. Wearing a bright spandex costume to the funeral of your best friend looks fucking ridiculous, especially if that friend died in a tragic accident involving wearing bright spandex
2. only the most attentive readers will be able to identify superheroes without their iconic bright spandex, and any layman would just see a crowd of people in suits and black dresses and have no idea who the fuck anyone is

what the fuck is up with Cyborg's stance? fucking hell, Victor, get a grip

>It's a shit on Roy episode

>only the most attentive readers will be able to identify superheroes without their iconic bright spandex
now that you said it like that, it would actually be quite nice to see them in formal wear. that way, they would seem much more human and vulnerable, and emotional than when they wear their costumes, signalling equality amongst heroes

Most of these heroes shouldn't even be here. If it were Roy's funeral maybe, but it's the funeral of Roy's daughter. Only Roy's close friends and people that actually knew his daughter have any reason to be there. Like, Mon-El and the JSA barely even know Roy to begin with.

bound by the duty I guess. when a colleague you don't really know has a loss that great, sometimes, you might want to show support by just being present

you see it a lot in comics like Invincible and a lot of capeshit that isn't part of the Big Two.

The problem is that for a lot of DC and Marvel comics, part of the point of the issues is to sell a brand, and if Tony Stark isn't wearing his iconic suit for at least one panel, then the brand isn't selling

I think it worked for Superman's funeral.

Well I think it depends on the situation. Do you mourn the man, or the mask they put on? One issue I could see is people questioning why Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, and a legion of people who appeared to have no relation to the deceased suddenly showing up to pay respects.

It could be that everyone shows up wearing formal funeral attire plus those eye masks that magically conceal identity.

Being Matt Murdock is suffering

Well that's even more strange. Family and friends would think they were part of a cult or some weird shit. Should the deceased be outed as a superhero after death, so people know what he did for the world? Its a tricky subject, especially since no one stays dead in comics

>only the most attentive readers
Wasn't there a gag panel published in a Marvel annual that had Cap, Clint, and Hank standing next to each other in civilian clothing looking identical?

Solution: each superhero should have a "formal" version of his spandex that's mainly black.

Even Darksied felt the need to pay his respects.

>die
Why is Rodrick so grouchy?

Why the fuck is Tim Drake one of the pallbearers? I could maybe accept Dick Grayson since he worked closely with Superman a lot back during the World's Finest days, and Superman inspired him to become Nightwing, but Tim barely knew Supes.
J'onn or Supergirl would make a lot more sense.
Also, fuck the Atom, look at that lazy piece of shit just standing on his friend's casket instead of walking like everyone else.

Pretty much the same with weddings.

I have a small collection of these. Help it grow.

I think for weddings it's OK, they're a celebration.

If it's a big wake like that it's kinda necessary for artist and reader convenience. Otherwise it's just a sea of mostly indistinguishable people dressed in black.

he's being seated at the kid's table at the reception.

I think they should have dress uniforms of sorts. Kal never arrives in ceremonial Kryptonian stuff, for instane.

Depends on who's getting buried
Superman's funeral would probably be a costume event, people showing up in full get-ups
Clark's funeral would be a private low-key event where people show up in civvies

NO
based x-men

Why do the men look distinctive while the women have the same face?

Big question: which funeral has the empty coffin?

>The Legion of Supeheroes know full well that Superman won't stay dead very long but humor everyone else anyway to avoid spoilers

Remember when Roy called Donna a whore?. Good times

Jesus Christ, Rise of Arsenal was such a trainwreck

Clark probably has a will for that
IMO BvS ending, Superman is the empty casket with the super suit, Smallville with the body and surrounded by loved ones

I'd say that calling a mother who lost her child a bad mother is a far worse insult than calling her a whore.

Who invited Vril, Strata and Phase? Superman met and fought them like once, they weren't friends and I don't even think anyone in that picture knows them (aside from Lobo, but I don't think he had any say in the guest list).

That's just a promo picture, the actual funeral issues was different (no Dream of the Endless in that one)

Was Tim Drake one of the pallbearers in the actual issue too?

Dick. Superman showed up for his funeral.

>tfw you only get invited for the promo cover

Damn, imagine the honor of being fucking Superman's paulbearer

>Not getting invited to Superman's funeral
That's gotta sting

If they have other things going on at the time it's fine. I suppose they could wear a tux over the suit and burst out of it, but that still seems like a waste.

Sorry that it took a while to find, the "Funeral for a Friend" story-arc is nine parts long. It's been years since I read this, so I think that this was the public funeral. There might have been a second-private one that I can't remember.
This was from "Superman - Man of Steel #20"

Lobo has a meltdown on another page because he'll no longer be able to fight Superman.
Tim Drake is in the crowd preventing people from fighting

The Clinton's also appear

Wow, Scott, you dick, when Barda died in Death of the New Gods you recolored your suit for her funeral, but I guess Supes is not worth it, huh?!

Anyway, another ridiculous funeral in pic related.

I like that it's just Guardian and Shaman, all the X-Men are in formal wear

What if they showed up in funeral clothes but wore their masks? That would look like a Luchadore funeral but I think it could work.

You've never had a cop killed in your city.
youtu.be/KQRwhM6teqY

If a kid that's gonna die from cancer asks for superman to come to his funeral he isn't gonna come in a suit

Tim was beloved by everyone in the 90s
he's the best

>Hey Clark what's the deal? Did his dog die or something?

didn't they have batman refuse to turn up because he didn't want to admit clark was dead?

I thought he didn't go because DC was still in the "BATMAN IS TOTALLY AN URBAND LEGEND GUYS" phase.

That's not the real Supergirl

Depends on the hero and the hero's relation to the dead

Also worth to be said: Suits are overused 80% of the time, including funerals. If you don't usually wear suits, you really shouldn't wear them at funerals either.
It's also (80% of the time) a ugly piece of clothing. Since the wearer rarely wears it they get something cheap as shit that looks weird and uncomfortable in every single way.
It's like with fatties in sportswear. Don't do it.

>That's not the real Supergirl
Who is it then?

Metaphorically, this was the funeral of the old continuity.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergirl_(Matrix)
She's an alien blob because the status quo was "SUPERMAN MUST BE THE ONLY KRYPTONIAN"

BASED

You know, I'm starting to see why Johns and other writers kept trying to bring back the Silver Age/Pre-Crisis status quo. It's not just nostalgia, those stories worked and many of the changes made after that were either stupid or just change for the sake of change.

Wasn't Kara killed off because her movie was very, very bad? Kind of like Supes was killed because of the TV show, because they had an agreement that he has to marry Lois at the same time and not before?
DAm, synergy is bad

>people will not be dressed as super heroes at my funerals
why die?

It's more that if the movie had been a success, they probably wouldn't have killed her off because the higher-ups wouldn't have allowed it. But since it was a failure and DC editorial wanted to go all-in with the "Last Son of Krypton" status quo, there was no reason not to do it and the corporate masters didn't care.

why are you planning to have multiple funerals, user

Because he wants to be a superhero, and superheroes usually die multiple times.
>youtube.com/watch?v=wn5K9S3kNo4

You might not understand this, but the costume is a uniform. It's not just pretty. It's a sign of respect.

I think they wore suits to Captain America's funeral after Civil War.

My dad has made everyone he's related to (about five people) promise that they will wear tacky hawaiian shirts to his funeral.

>Dream
>Darkseid

I dunno. Then it just feels like you're mocking the funeral.

the guy posted anime
so he's looking for people to cosplay multiple Gokus and Narutards

He posted a supehero anime though.

I love seeing ensemble pics like this where people are hanging out in different groups (Teen Titans, Flash Family, JSA, etc) that reference earlier shit. Like when everybody gets together people hang out with who they grew up with

>Wearing a bright spandex costume to the funeral of your best friend looks fucking ridiculous, especially if that friend died in a tragic accident involving wearing bright spandex

I don't think that's necessarily the case.
A couple of years ago one of my sisters friend's 3 year old son died suddernly. My sisters friend requested that no one wear black to the funeral, that people attending all wear brightly coloured clothes and that if they wore black they should also wear yellow because he was fan of the Richmond Tigers AFL team.

She didn't want it to be a day of pain, she wanted it to be a celebration of him and all the things he loved.

There's also shit like this.
theguardian.com/uk/2009/sep/20/elliott-delaney-funeral-dress-promise

No they dont, their records of the era are fucked because of future atrocities

Good call

Or they have a museum dedicated to him that show events after his supposed death. It's really up in the air with them.

don't their suits every get smelly

Just show up in a formal costume Superman and wonder woman have no excuse Shit anyone without a secret identity should show up in a suit Goddamn PG It's a funeral not hooters

not the only one, take a look at starfire on the left

>NO
>based x-men
It helps that the X-men have faces distinct enough to be identified without uniforms.