Why is 2D dying? What even is the major appeal of 3D over 2D? I genuinely don't understand

Why is 2D dying? What even is the major appeal of 3D over 2D? I genuinely don't understand.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/234853542
youtube.com/watch?v=wTrJLfQIXKk
youtube.com/watch?v=_aTVOE8mXDI
youtube.com/watch?v=jidzytvfSyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=m6w0r-ScEG4
youtube.com/watch?v=qXB4INzPHwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=vfv_7mO0M1M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Princess & the Frog and Winnie the Pooh underperformed at the box office. As a result, we will never get 2D animated films again aside from rare exceptions or foreign productions.

Every American studio follows Disney's lead. They don't think 2D is profitable after their last two attempts failed. They won't make anymore 2D films, so therefore neither will anyone else.

2D takes a gazillion frames for 5 seconds
3D takes a blender tutorial, the modeller`s sweat and tears and a few hours rendering

>2D takes a gazillion frames for 5 seconds

What if you cut corners?

Then you get Family Guy tier animation.

pixar, dreamworks and disney convinced everyone it won't sell.

vimeo.com/234853542

Its not, faggot hollywood just is using 3D now because its easier to animate and they wrongly think thats all anyone likes

save for Klaus i dont see anyone even trying again with 2D.

umm, no. Try again sweetie. It's better than ever.

ahh, tv stuff.
children stuff.
mediocre stuff.

That was pretty much purely because of executive decisions.

The Princess and the Frog would have cost half as much to make if they hadn't completely shut down the 2D department and had to spend a lot of money to restart it. Winnie the Pooh was dumped into theaters with minimal promotion against one of the most anticipated fantasy films of all time.

Plus talk of 2D films doing poorly at the box office ignores The Simpsons Movie.

Theatrical quality 2D is actually considerably cheaper to make than theatrical quality 3D.

>Theatrical quality 2D is actually considerably cheaper to make than theatrical quality 3D.

but you cant rewrite and reanimate the movie 5 months before the deadline

3d is seen to be better because you can make a brand new movie in a fraction of the time. Once you have the models made you just need the processing time of posing and rendering.
If you're drawing a cartoon, and want to change the camera angle on something, you just have to redraw the whole thing. You have a lot more freedom with 3d stuff.
Look at all the times toy story or frozen were remade before their releases. The execs are obsessed with putting out a good product, so they tinker with it the whole time, changing it to fit the latest test audience reactions to it.

Europe's getting into it

or look at zootropolis, creators went overboard with the "dont be racist" message.

That's not 2D animation. It's just cel-shaded CGI made to resemble it.

we know, but europe doesn't do commercial 2d, they do it for the sake of ART.

daily reminder this exist
youtube.com/watch?v=wTrJLfQIXKk

then it looks bad

>Zootropolis

Feels bad to be PAL.

>aside from rare exceptions or foreign productions.
Also TV show movies which are a thing again after a long drought.
>Leaks say the next pony movie will be CGI
Or maybe not

So if I understand right low quality 3d is cheaper than low quality 2d but high quality 2d is cheaper than high quality 3d.

Is that correct?

Normie's think that since 3d is more hi tech that makes it better.

>2D

2D is Jpanese for Anime, is Anime dying? NO!

Looks shit.

For some reason (a very stupid one) general audiences don't like it and they end up making way less money. Just look at MLP.

I bet cheap low-quality 2D like Rocky and Bullwinkle would still be cheaper than cheap low-quality 3D, especially if you still offshored the animation, and Clutch Cargo-style "animation" cheaper still. There is a bottom of the barrel to 2D that no one dares reach anymore.

youtube.com/watch?v=_aTVOE8mXDI

Holy shit that's bad.

Don't forget to watch TeenTitans Go to the Movies, a 2D animated feature film. In theatres this summer.

Sup Forums opening day meetup when?

They don't conveniently obscure the mouths to save on animation as much as danger mouse did.

I've heard somewhere that general audiences prefer 3d because it looks more real to them
If you're a teenager or adult which would you probably be more likely to watch; some kiddy looking 2d film or the new up to date CGI one?

That simplifies things too much. These days you can have CGI like Star Wars Rebels, TMNT, and even Sonic Boom that look stylish and expressive while being much cheaper to produce.

I still don't know if this poster is legit or not.

I feel you Bro the last Winnie the Pooh Movie was ridiculously well animated, but it boomed at the Box Office because some asshole put it up against the Last Harry Potter movie, I hope the son of a bitch got fired for that.

youtube.com/watch?v=jidzytvfSyQ

yes but I want 2d made in America goddammit.

fuck disney

youtube.com/watch?v=m6w0r-ScEG4

Its easier to make

Think of it like this, lets say there is a scene that has a girl in the rain dancing.

In 2D
>Have to draw every single frame
>Have to Draw, Color, and Frame Every single second
>Have to think about how it will look at from this angle, draw it out, doesn't look good. Draw again.
>If there's a problem. Go back and do it all over again. All, over.

Now in 3D

>Once the model is done, all you have to do is animate it, don't need to worry about doing it all over and over again.

>Program every frame, don't have to draw every single drop of rain, the computer can do that once you do the program

>Going back to fix mistakes is easier because you already have it all as a 3D model and not a 2D image.

>If the camera doesn't look good at one angle, you can just change where the camera is and experiment more

I saw this, it has a lot of yuri undertones, I liked it.

Network television was on the cusp of shitcanning animation entirely. Limited animation saved the medium. Quit bitching like an entitled little faggot.

This. The MLP movie flopped (it was because the budget was so inflated by celebrity VA's but none of the execs are gonna admit it) so our hopes of Hasbro saving 2d are dead. We need a new savior.

>What even is the major appeal of 3D over 2D?
More D.

Maybe someday mankind will discover a way to use 3D to perfectly replicate 2D so cost/time will no longer be an excuse.

Ernest and Celestine was drawn using digital animation but it looks hand drawn.

ow the edge

By the time I realised it was too late.

Its that 3D is much easier to make, and cheaper too.

*saves western 2D animation*

It's cool that they made a Star War for girls, but why does it look like a webtoon from 2005?
Why are non-horse-based girl shows so low effort?

>great things come in bears

:3

normal people think it is cheap and therefore bad quality

Low quality 2D would most likely still be cheaper than low quality 3D since the investments needed to start up are lower but the latter lets you crank out a bunch of films in short order by reusing the same assets like Alpha and Omega did.

3D is cheaper, faster, and requires fewer animators. That's all the studios care about.

It's a parody of The Assassination of Jesse James. You should watch more kino and not just cartoons.

Man, the eyes on those 3D models look so goddamn soulless.

>A flash movie... of a series that tried its damnedest to choke out the schedule of CN for several years...
>Saving western animation.

CGI gives us beautiful women like her.

It cost more overall and errors as well as scene changes are harder to fix. Also consider that traditional animation has hit it's peak in what can be done with it while CGI is an ever changing medium.

2d will make a comeback eventually, this is entretainment, everything comes back after a couple decades

youtube.com/watch?v=qXB4INzPHwQ

Rendering is the most expensive and time consuming part and chances are you are going to have to render huge parts of it again and again because the software fucks up

It's a parody of assassination of jesse james
youtube.com/watch?v=vfv_7mO0M1M

Audiences are fucking stupid and consider 2D "dated."

I want to fucking butcher kathleen kennedy in her sleep and firebomb disney world

>Rendering is the most expensive and time consuming part
correct but in most case once done the cost dives and more importantly the moment you need to add, change or remove a scene it can be done so seamlessly. Watch the making of Finding Nemo and Wall-E both films had grand changes in scenes and moments that in transnational animation could not be done or would demand a great cost and time to get it all put togther right.

>are you are going to have to render huge parts of it again and again because the software fucks up
That's still less work over all. Consider how much shit traditional animators hid in Disney films and what not in the 80s and 90s, shit that you can't undo, you either cut the scene or spend troves to edit it. the power of CGI is when they pull this shit it's just a few clicks to fix.

>Beautiful
Her nose is way too low.

Man, those designs look like they're from some shitty flash game.
I can practically see the stilted puppet movements from that still image.

Or Hannah Barbera

i've always wanted to see that movie.
Anyone got a mega with subs?
I'll also take dubs

>It's another "Sup Forums doesn't know shit of how animation works" episode

>I genuinely don't understand.
Because you are fucking senile it seems.

Yeah, but in cases like R&B, this worked because of the scripts, which worked in a rapid-fire, radioesque manner in regards to the humor. The dialogue and narration was fast enough that the animation didn't really bother the audience. The problem is when an animated work doesn't have the script or pacing to help viewers overlook the visuals.

we need new SHREK.

a movie that will revolutionize the industry, again.

?

bump

Then it looks like shit

this, 3D allows greater parallelization in the development process, much of the animation and motion planning can be done while the final character and object assets are still being developed for example, and the final integration has way more control in a much shorter time so if anything needs to be changed there is no deep commitment to any particular creative choice till the final rendering is done, and the exec's would choose to pay more to have that kind of power.