Did Batman Beyond actually find success during its time or did it flop...

Did Batman Beyond actually find success during its time or did it flop? The show is hideously dark and incomprehensible to kids, I can't see how it did compared to TAS in appeal and selling toys.

Other urls found in this thread:

kidscreen.com/1999/03/01/24628-19990301/
variety.com/2000/tv/news/pokemon-fuels-kids-wb-but-fox-kids-scores-win-1117822133/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

3 seasons is pretty good so yeah

I never liked Beyond as a kid. Especially since it was aired just before or after BTAS, and after watching that show, Beyond came on showing that everything that happened in BTAS was meaningless, Bruce utterly failed in eliminating crime from Gotham and wound up a lonely old man.

chainsaw knees/10

>Bruce utterly failed in eliminating crime from Gotham and wound up a lonely old man.
This was a foregone conclusion if you know how shitty Gotham actually is. How could you expect anything different?

You act like kids don’t eat up edgy shit. The show made fun of this when Matt and his friend are watching the news and they get hyped when they heard there was going to be explicit content.

APRIL MOON

This, you don't get renewed twice if you did shit.

Also I found this, but not much else

"(Jed) Petrick says that things are beginning to pick up for Kids’ WB!, with new show Batman Beyond already pulling in decent ratings, and adds that as a national broadcaster, the WB fulfills some advertising needs that cablecasters can’t. "
kidscreen.com/1999/03/01/24628-19990301/

"Kids’ WB downright ruled with kids 6 to 11, jumping 109% from a 2.2 to a 4.6 rating. Beyond “Pokemon,” the weblet was also fueled by “Batman Beyond,” “Men in Black” and “Max Steel,” all faves among the moppet set."
variety.com/2000/tv/news/pokemon-fuels-kids-wb-but-fox-kids-scores-win-1117822133/

Batman Beyond did so well it was being set-up for a Justice League spin-off in the last couple episodes, which eventually developed into the (present-day set) Justice League show by Dini, Timm, McDuffie and co.

They wouldn't have continued the DCAU if Supes and/or Batman Beyond hadn't been successful. The only thing that slowed the momentum of the DCAU was the Anime Boom, and Batman Beyond was just Japanimation-influenced enough and just edgy enough to compete with the likes of DBZ and Gundam Wing.

I didn't have cable at the time so I didn't get to watch it when it was new.
I remember seeing toy commercials for it and not knowing it was an actual show.

Kids shows used to teach deep impactful lessons. Now they are just to turn your brain off.

>he says this in the same universe in which Transformers and GI Joe exists

Man, Cow & Chicken sure taught me some valuable lessons.

People remember Batman Beyond; nobody remembers its spin-off.

I bought the giant hover Batmobile with the dumb drop down wings, so it worked in that capacity. I never bought one of the dumb Joker figures, I just had Terry run Blight over and over again with the Batmobile.

I remember hating the change in the robot design from day one. In all it was a pretty generic or play it safe cartoon compared to the themes and tone of Batman Beyond, I thought. Not terrible but disappointing.

I loved Batman Beyond and wanted more toys than the ones they made. IIRC it was never cancelled, only put on hiatus as they worked on Justice League.

I thought Zeta Project came out at the same time and they just did a crossover later on. Same as how Static Shock worked.

>TAS in appeal and selling toys

Batman toys in the 90s were fucking weird
>HEY KIDS, YOU KNOW THAT BATMAN SHOW YOU LOVE? WELL HERES BATMAN IN A WINTER CAMO SUIT WITH AN ICE PICK AND SNOWMOBILE. YOULL NEVER SEE HIM WEAR OR USE THESE IN THE SHOW, BUT ISNT IT SO COOOOOOOL

In the good future Bruce cleans up Gotham and turns it into a modern day Detroit.

thats when Lexcorp introduces their new line of RoboCop

>have the ability to cone organs from compatable matches.
>they don't just clone all of terry's organs, stick them in bruce, making him immortal.
>May even make his heart strong enough to use an exo suit bringing him into the fray occasionally.

Hell I know the whole point is Bruce is happy to let Terry take up the mantel. However putting organ cloning into a story raises questions.

DESU, many of the Marvel Cartoons suffered pointless Toyota variants as well.

Spider-Man is a nearly broke freelance photographer that lives with his Aunt, yet can get a gazillion different armoured and gadgets for his alter-ego according to the Toys.

Almost the same deal with Wolverine from X-Men. He's an unstoppable killing machine......let's give him gadgets that hinder him!

At least the Iron Man alternative armours made some sense, and a couple actually appeared in the cartoon.

>post new 52
>still no cyberpunk Zeta comic
I'll become a DC writer just for this

Nope. Zeta first appeared in a Beyond episode, his show was a spinoff. He looked a lot more menacing originally, and was given a redesign to, I assume, make him more humanlike and emotive.

Did they explain the redesign in the show?

Beyond was fucking amazing precisely because it was darker in tone. Cartoons that take a chance at pushing the boundaries of what can be considered just a kids show are the ones you'll remember the most fondly growing up. They leave an impact.

Besides, Beyond might have had more of them, but BTAS had it's share of grimness. First one that comes to mind is the episode where Bruce Wayne is tricked into marrying a plant clone Poison Ivy made. The reveal comes when they're on a cruise ship, and during the fight it starts to sink. The last we see of the woman is her trapped inside the sinking ship, staring out a window in horror, while Batman grapples away and just... stares. Keep in mind there was no mind control to snap out of here. He genuinely loved her, and she was just using him as a source of free income for Ivy. And then he watches her die.

No wonder old Bruce is so fucked up.

Nah, it was just a retcon. They probably decided the boomerang head look was too alien for the main character.

>BTAS had it's share of grimness. First one that comes to mind is the episode where Bruce Wayne is tricked into marrying a plant clone Poison Ivy made. The reveal comes when they're on a cruise ship, and during the fight it starts to sink. The last we see of the woman is her trapped inside the sinking ship, staring out a window in horror, while Batman grapples away and just... stares. Keep in mind there was no mind control to snap out of here. He genuinely loved her, and she was just using him as a source of free income for Ivy. And then he watches her die.
That wasn't B:TAS. That was from The New Batman Adventures, which was allowed a lot more freedom to push the envelope compared to the actual B:TAS era.

Was it? My bad then, it's been years.

So it gets worse? How is that the good future?

>Beyond came on showing that everything that happened in BTAS was meaningless
that also kinda fits with mask and how it makes no sense for him to be doing what hes doing

>Bruce is happy to let Terry take up the mantel.
Thats why he trys to reject teryy so much

New Batman Adventures and Beyond are crap compared to BTAS.

btas had really high points but it had much lower points never watched new adventures but beyond felt more consistant same with stas

If by consistent you mean boring as shit. Season 2 was a borefest, generic Spider-Man crap. Season 1 was decent and 3 was ok, but they're both pretty short. BTAS was just a much better show.