Why is he popular?

All he does is take a movie, scream at it and tell memes, include some horribly-acted skit, and act like he has any authority over some shitty kids film no one cares about. He's the typical Sup Forums poster who knows jack shit about what he's talking about but nerds look to him as the messiah of filmmaking.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cIgtg0P4nF0
youtu.be/OPSaOgx6-6s
youtube.com/watch?v=SCRLxGFQkQI
youtube.com/watch?v=TLKN7sPobZE
youtube.com/watch?v=CdKwtFNRRLM
sys.Sup
youtube.com/watch?v=pDUXXn4bn1M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Comics & Cartoons

>>Comics & Cartoons

>>>Comics & Cartoons

It's relevant because he mostly reviews kids films and cartoons.

>Why is he popular?
Longevity? Also, because he appeals to spergs.

Because he panders to normies

He debuted during the beginning of Meme culture, and gathered a dedicated fanbase from it. The quality of his current output is inconsequential, because he's fully cemented himself as a known commodity on the internet.

He lost something like 60% of his viewer base after the Demo Reel fiasco and never got them back. The You Tube adpocalypse combined with his getting on the radar of major studios to have his reviews taken down sameday they're published ("But wah wah WHERE'S THE FAIR USE!?"), his career is pretty much in a death spiral. He'll never be a "real" filmmaker like he wants to be and the more he tries to force skits and storylines into his reviews, the more of his old viewers who just want reviews are going to drop him.

E-Celeb threads should be a bannable offense.

Doug must be a true people's person, since he can make friends with anybody. He seems to be pretty relaxed, so there's that.

For the NC shit, it's because it appeals to edgelords.

He's reached the point of no return so all he has left is Nostalgia Critic - for the rest of his life...

>98512419
This. His skits are some of the worst shit I have ever seen. This is one of his worst examples:

youtube.com/watch?v=cIgtg0P4nF0

Basically this he's one of those people who got big early enough to be a mainstay.

Right place, right time.

>He'll never be a "real" filmmaker
Oh, it shows.

>He seems to be pretty relaxed
you've clearly never met him at a con

Way back before he thought he was really deep/talented, I guess his reviews that were around 10 minutes long or less and that mostly just involved making quick jokes about shit in a movie were watchable. Not amazing, not something to actively recommend, but done and presented better than some shit review by any rando with a webcam that you'd normally find on Youtube. I actually tried watching a few recently after not seeing Nostalgia Critic anything in literal years, and while I didn't find them particularly funny I wouldn't say they were overall cringey either because they were so short and he didn't seem to take it as seriously as he does now.

I guess some people who liked him from the beginning are still hanging around for some reason, some might just have gotten on the ride because he is, or was, "internet famous," and some are probably just dumb kids who don't know how stupid his stuff is.

I remember jumping ship on keeping up with his stuff in like 2010 or 2011 because I was finding his overreactions and stupid jokes and digressions and I guess just his general character/personality too obnoxious and hard to watch, but even before then I knew some of his stuff was shit. Think I found some of his reviews entertaining enough to keep checking out new stuff for a while, until I stopped giving a fuck.

It's insane to me that he's still doing that shit now.

So why are his increasingly obnoxious friends in every single review?

He should have eased in to Demo Reel while keeping regular NC. Might have stopped some of the fans from dropping and never coming back.

tvtropes.

He hates his fans
youtu.be/OPSaOgx6-6s
youtube.com/watch?v=SCRLxGFQkQI

you don't need con footage to know that
he made a review where it was almost nothing but him complaining about fans who miss his old content, saying they're wrong because "i've got to put effort" while making shit worse than even Irate Gamer

His Christmas with the Kranks review?

yea, that was the one
his sperging was the only thing I remember from it

>Animaniacs is nothing but pop culture references
>Doug loves animaniacs

pottery

AVGN is (was) better.

He got them for Demo Reel, and when that flopped, they had nothing to do but he decided to keep them on board.

>the clipless reviews are secrectly demo real
>he's conned us all

Not as bad as his Hocus Pocus "review"

Listen to how they just blindly force laughter at every joke
youtube.com/watch?v=TLKN7sPobZE

I still watch some of his reviews, expecting him to pull out a good joke or two, but that rarely happens. If I rewatch his videos, it's always the pre-Demo Reel stuff.
He should have ended the show on the Scooby Doo review or continued without the shitty actors.

never saw that one
tbpf, I never really watched him. I just heard of a few of his that are worth viewing for how salty he is

I'll save you the trouble of watching it. It's just him and his friends in drag recreating Hocus Pocus. Except none of it is funny.

>Portrays chad Zack Snyder as an awkward beta nerd
How did he get away with this?
youtube.com/watch?v=CdKwtFNRRLM

something I always wondered was whether or not this was potentially riskier. his "reviews" basically gave a cliff's notes of whatever movie he was doing, but he could still kinda claim fair use for those, though it probably wouldn't hold up long in any court. couldn't this potentially get him into straight up copyright/trademark violations for actually recreating this shit?

I totally forgot about this guy and the rest of them.

Is Spoony's Patreon still only about $500 a month?

I think he did the recreations because of copyright. Also, if a movie just came out, like with Wonder Woman or IT.

e-celeb threads are cancer and against >>>/global/rules/11 and >>>Sup Forumsrules/1
OP is a faggot.
Do your part to help purge subhumans like him from this board by reporting this thread.
sys.Sup Forums.org/co/imgboard.php?mode=report&no=98512224

Pan, is that you?

the most respect he gets from me was the time in one of his commercials videos where he did a segment on Mac Tonight without mentioning either Moon Man or Saint Pepsi

But he said Mac Tonight was also known as "Moon Man"

Nice dubs. I'm surprised their isn't a dedicated e-celeb board already.

I wish someone asked him how JewWario was

I'm saying it's probably more dangerous to do it b/c it's a clearer case of actual copyright infringement than just stealing clips

Ah, right. Though I don't know how YouTube would detect something like that.

This Snyder portrayal was better
youtube.com/watch?v=pDUXXn4bn1M

at least he didn't mention the YTMND parodies

youtube probably wouldn't (outside the odd music takedown), but it's something that douge should thank his lack of popularity for
if he were bigger, I can think of dozens of companies who would sue the shit outta him

>Why is he popular
14 year olds user

Can someone please suggest this

Yeah, he should be so lucky. Some of his newer reviews have been, you know, actual reviews. No recreations.

I used to like him before I graduated high school, and some time after. I dunno, I thought his reviews and "comedy" were innocent enough. Looking back, I guess it was just because I was underage at the time, 10 years ago. It's definitely far better than this current reviews.

To be fair, I hate his fans too. I doubt anyone can like that crowd.

I think his older reviews were alright, before the Demo Reel shit happened.

>"But wah wah WHERE'S THE FAIR USE!?"
I'll never understand how people can think posting 10s of minutes of pure, unedited movie footage just to mock it or dub it over is protected under fair use. It's a testament to how no one actually understands how that law works.