JSA Storytime: Question

Good evening owls,

it's that cliffhanger from back then

Other urls found in this thread:

politics.theonion.com/clinton-declares-self-president-for-life-1819565819
youtube.com/watch?v=vbZhpf3sQxQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

playing games in the era of the internet is great because you never get stuck on a fucking tile puzzle

let's have a big military parade, that's super-American

we should storm the the Bastille tho

Wannabe dictators just can't help themselves it seems.

>not going full brainlet and paying for prima guides

kind of fun to flip through these days

from a more innocent time, this shoop always made me lol:

politics.theonion.com/clinton-declares-self-president-for-life-1819565819

yeah, those are fascinating artifacts

ahhh, the memories of playing BOY AND HIS BLOB and endless redos upon endless deaths

>there didn't used to be politics in muh comics

NGL, I'd read "Marxist Two-in-One"

I lost my Donkey Kong 64 one.

It sits unbeaten. No regrets.

Hello, Storyteller.

Hey, should I be concerned that I'm compulsively showering for its own sake? I'm not sure when it started, but lately I hop in for a quick soak whenever I get the chance, and I honestly don't know why. But now that I've noticed it, it's slightly worrying. Am I just being paranoid, or did I suddenly become proper crazy?

that's the kind of thing that can turn into an OCD tic but showers feel nice and at least you're not stinky?

Denny sneakin' some culture in here

Yeats had his own weird kinks

Are you sure it's not just a routine? Like as long as it's not disruptive I think you're probably fine. I have anxiety so this is getting bloggy, but I can tell when it's something that I'm doing that isn't rational vs something mundane I'm just doing out of habit.

I have read a huge amount of old PB sf/f and I've never heard of this shit

it's nasty and cold and shit outside and I have got to go for a jog :(

again, this makes me wish we were getting more DC FOR GROWNUPS stuff along with the kiddie lines

speaking of kiddie comics, this short thread was very good:

twitter.com/mercurialblonde/status/960954354177015811

I guess. It's just weird is all. And at least it's a harmless weird habit.

>I think for my generation at least, the stuff that made us love comics and expand what it could be, were not YA, in fact, the complete opposite. Things we shouldn't have been reading.

>But even more than YA, I think the backlash against kind of extreme grimdark comics is a change mostly to accomodate adults that are reading comics. I wonder if today's superhero comics would have been enough to get me back into reading them as a teen desu.

And many people chimed in with "Preacher at age 12 was fucking awesome", which is absolutely fair and true

>the kiddie lines
the teen line confuses me because except for the kiddie stuff, everything else they publish is aimed at teens.

>getting more DC FOR GROWNUPS stuff along with the kiddie lines

what do you think the Bendis imprint is

Sturgeon's Law in overdrive, given my fucking sigil luck

Meh, the fans pushed for this. Everything violent was deemed too violent BY THE FANS so the industry listened. I'm sorry but it's true. I can't blame Marvel and DC when the other publishers are running away from it also.

Except these are for teens who don't want earth shattering events and crossovers and relaunches out the ass and instead want something they can pick up, like, and move on to the next one without having to read 5 other books or look on wikipedia to get what's happening

It's like, I don't not believe the people who say "My 11-year old daughter loves Squirrel Girl!" but there's a huge amount of performative "make things for the kids because they're the future" politicking for comics that's actually about what people want to read themselves

Or let's talk about the weird adults who literally only read YA books, and generate the most miserably punitive fandom on earth out of it

>who don't want earth shattering events and crossovers and relaunches out the ass
Can't DC actually make a line like that?

JFC

It's called Earth One

I still credit Preacher with keeping me from going full emo in my teens.

It's weird because the twitter thread goes into it as well, that fans moved away from that stuff and back to cleaner superheroics, but writers still wanted to get their gritty and grimy dark stories in too. So the end result was that first decade of the 2000s where you had these very ungenuine, awkward, tone-deaf stories like Infinite Crisis or Identity Crisis that tried to do both and mostly succeeded at neither.

I'm preeeeetty sure kids don't read Squirrel Girl. it's all 20 year olds and maybe some manchildren. I'm just calling it like I'm seeing it. But yeah, murikka really likes pushing "safe" shit onto their children, no conflict and very safe language.

I'd pick up Doctor Strangle-the-capitalists too

I'm sure they'll crossover eventually, the releases are just slow as balls.

I can't wait for this purity crusade "you are what you read" nonsense to fucking die

If it's selling via Scholastic--and it seems to--then that's actual book fair sales, etc., and I don't disbelieve what little we've seen of those Bookscan numbers. But thankfully those people aren't on my twitter feed because 18+ only, eesh

>I still credit Preacher with keeping me from going full emo in my teens.

I credit Kick-Ass.
Different era.

And then those two comics were not only very good sellers at the time, but they've continued to be best sellers in trade format till this day and have received multiple collections and anniversary deluxe editions and shit.
You tell a kid they're not supposed to do something and they'll want to do it, and not just because "rules are made to be broken" but because you're making them feel dumb and less than.

unfortunately it goes in cycles but never fully dies. There's some pointed commentary about it from Robert Hughes in the essay collection Culture of Complaint, wherein he tags one manifestation "the therapeutic fallacy", the idea that the Right Art will help make you a good person, the Wrong Art will make you racist/sexist/whatever

11-year old boys are who I always saw having Deathstroke bought for them at my LCS, lol

The genuine takes will pass, but the dishonest ones ("if you don't ship my gay OTP you're homophobic") have been going for like 20 years now and I don't see it ending ever really.

No because sales prevent them from doing that

They want that Raina Telgemeier money

People who read just YA are weird and yeah irony

I'm trying to figure out how Liefeld era EXTREME stuff fits into all this

>But yeah, murikka really likes pushing "safe" shit onto their children, no conflict and very safe language.
And then we have the gall to complain when our kids are emotionally fragile weirdoes who have no ability to deal with the mere existence of anything outside their experience.

11 year old boys confirmed for best taste? Because that's seriously the only good comic DC is publishing right now. And this Defiance arc is a step down in terms of quality

yeah, I know it will never truly die but I'm ready for it to fade away for a while

sales shmells man. They can't always hide behind that.

No matter how much you scrub you'll never be clean, Cranky! NEVER BE CLEAN, CRANKY!

this was pre-Priest when it was all just like generic Slade adventures, but 11-year old boys think a one-eyed anti-hero mercenary is the fucking best thing on earth and there's violence, man

I mean come on, I'm not immune to that sort of BAMF charm, although my fundamental type is a lot squeakier-clean

A friend keeps pointing out a good parallel, which is to say that arguments on behalf of all-ages comics using Telgemeier remind her of arguing that horror itself is absolutely huge/dominant using Stephen King

You know what's funny? The majority of people that hate 90s comics and criticize the XTREME actually love Jim Lee. And there's huge love for the likes of Silverstri or even Liefeld sometimes. But no, really, the people that say "fuck the 90s!" usually seem to like Death of Superman and the like.

who doesn't love Yoda

Yeah, fuck Jack Kennedy! He didn't even nuke Cuba for getting Russian missiles!

can anyone really make Blackhawk work?

Except scholastic is kicking DC's ass the past couple years in bookstore sales and children's comics generally sell more than capeshit.

I can easily see it working, but you'd need an actually good creative team and a chill editor.

If that's the best the company has then it deserves to die. Deathstroke has terrible art, and intentionally not filling in details for readers does not make it a good read. There's no reason for why Priest likes to jump around other than to make the readers want to learn more. It's just more Abrams mystery-box bullshit that will lead to readers being upset when it wraps up. Priest is being a hack, and I'm glad people are realizing this through his JL.

right, there are things on there which aren't just Telgemeier, but she's like the 800-pound gorilla

Out, out, damned spot!

Nah, it just that showers feel good. Started showering a lot due to a sudden case of eczema, but that stopped and I kept doing it.

I like being wet.

Honestly, the 90s had plenty of good stuff, it's just that the popular trends buried it under a ton of garbage.

>intentionally not filling in details for readers
Quite the opposite, it repeats shit for readers all the time. The editor on it really fucking sucks.

yeah but I probably wouldn't like it

I'd buy a trade of Pinochet's Helicopter League

The 90s were the best, but the people that hate on the 90s always have these retarded soft spots for shit like Spawn. It's ridiculous.

most comics art these days fills in entirely too much shit and doesn't know when to leave space between actions

>I like being wet.
Too easy.

>We could be in year 18 of PRESIDENT FOR LIFE CLINTON

What a glorious utopia that must be.

now, can anyone make THIS work

I just think it's weird that you guys censor the word "shit".

It would be a challenge.

I can, but the fans wouldn't like it.

FWIW, the early 80s Blackhawk by Mark Evanier and Dan Speigel was some damn fun stuff. Unfortunately, it's never really been reprinted, so it's either mediocre scans or comb the dollar boxes.

youtube.com/watch?v=vbZhpf3sQxQ

literally me
if only they'd give me a chance...

>not worshipping Jeb! and the federally mandated 2 hour clap sessions

if it's not too long, we might give that a try

feel free to give an outline

LOVE THIS PAGE

i've heard like Jim Aparo and someone did a decent run?

This fucking action is so sweet... Cowan going balls out with the facial expressions too.

Honestly, the design alone would drive Phantom fans nuts. And not in a good way.
Purple tribal markings all over his body, a black loincloth and a mask like Iron Fist's.

this is a righteous beating

this is textbook comics action, too--can you imagine how someone else would over-draw it, put in all the middle steps you shouldn't show?

>Purple tribal markings all over his body
Sounds great, rest not so much.

I don't see why it wouldn't. Pulp really only died because capes overshadowed them, so now that people are slowly but surely feeling the effects of cape saturation, pulps could easily make a comeback.

The one "issue" is that Zinda would have to be the lead character. She's the only Blackhawk anyone actually knows or gives a shit about.

I dunno, IME people make noises about the virtues of pulp but then nothing ever really comes of it, kind of the same thing in book publishing too?

Pulp is such an awkward genre that some people really obsess over.

I'm still waiting for good ol' S&S to make more of a comeback and if anyone's writing it these days that's not like Rabid Puppy sexist bilge, plz inform me

(as in, the Platonic form of 'a mage and a basher walk into a bar...' adventures)

What are you reading right now owls?

....ouch

What even counts as "pulp" these days though, like is there any popular media with it? You can say capes killed it in comics but what killed it elsewhere? Just might not be much of a market for it.

Marvel Conan coming back

Prince of Cats

Of course nothing comes out of it. See, pulps aren't currently popular, so nobody makes any. But, nobody makes any pulp books because they aren't currently popular. It's the classic cycle present in all industries.

It's not hard to see the appeal. Pulps are like capes, but without all the power levels bullshit.

Starting House of Secrets and Wombs.

Kirby Thor, One Piece, Morrison Doom Patrol, Secret Empire a little

Actually, I'm misremembering, the loincloth was an earlier version, he wears pants in the current pitch.

start off with a new ace to take the main blackhawk's place and have him travel america and canada going through old leigons to try and dig up information on hawk island. Have a cross over where he looks for potential blackhawks and he goes to hal jordan for guidance or some mcguffin. The main antagonist could be some "not nazis" sterotype trying to steal all the stuff from hawk island or vandal savage.

right, but I'm looking for original properties and not necessarily in comic format

lil' storyteller imprinted on Sword&Sorceress anthos like many, many others, but let's not talk about separating artist and art wrt that editor, alas

Some writer basically said a few years back that to be pulp it needs to be overwritten.

I was so meh on that.

I have no idea if that's a good translation or not

>House of Secrets
OG anthology or the weird 1990s revival?

METAL smashed up BlackHawks and Challengers of the Unknown didn't they?