Why was Charlie Brown so depressing?

Why was Charlie Brown so depressing?

Other urls found in this thread:

groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.comics.peanuts
gocomics.com/peanuts/1972/06/22
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He;'s relatable to people who want to feel sorry for themselves.

Because he is pessimistic, and pessimism breeds itself.

Because he was a closet homosexual and other faggots found themselves in his struggles

People write what they feel.

Charles Schulz had a hard life. At least one of the last storylines he did before passing away Chuck at least got to act like a Cowboy hero in a western (by beating some jerk kid in marbles) and the Tv specials were far more sympathetic to him.

Also the Peanuts Movie that came out a few years ago is like a bookend to the comic's legacy. Sure the Snoopy parts were overrated but the story concludes with the affirmation that Charlie Brown in spite of his short comings and failures is a good person.

People have said that the comic is about kids that deal with the harshness of reality by facing it.

Way back when Snoopy was introduced, there were actually purists who hated him and thought he ruined the strip because he tended to deal with reality through escapism rather than confronting or being confronted by it.

I always loved Snoopy, as I grew up with these comics. I love his siblings too, which I think even Schultz mentioned were pointless characters that added little to nothing.

I really love Woodstock. So freaking cute. Also, people say he represents the insignificance of man, as he's constantly bewildered by the universe around him and his speech is deemed so unimportant that it's made up of unintelligible hash marks.

As it happens, I've been reading these strips recently because I finished the 1975/76 volume of The Complete Peanuts, and into the 1977 volume.

I was going to get round to making a thread about this, but now there's a Peanuts thread, I'd figure I'd post it here.
I've been doing some internet archeology, and I've become fascinated by people talking about Peanuts during its run.
groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.comics.peanuts

He was too childish to fend for himself but too mature to have his suffering dismissed as kids being kids.

Real life is depressing

You don’t know the half of it.

Kills u

Childhood wasn't always sunshine and rainbows and feel like oftentimes, grown adults forget that.
I mean, god, the episode where Linus meets a girl who gets cancer has to be, and still to this day, one of the most depressing stories ever featured in the Peanuts.

Nothing personal, kid.

Which is second most?

So Schultz could make you feel better about yourself by saying "Be glad you're not him."

Take your pick:

Snoopy leaving Charlie Brown to be with his original owner.

Charlie Brown losing the spelling bee.

The fact that he never got to talk to the little red-haired girl.

This:
gocomics.com/peanuts/1972/06/22

At least it's implied she recovered. I can't even imagine how depressing it would be if they just had her die.

#3 because it would have just been for him to have one thing he wanted

I still fucking think about this one in the middle of the night sometimes.

It almost feels like because Charlie was such an asshole to Lucy and Schroeder early in the strip (he's older than them), Schultz punished him later in the run.

You never had real depression, have you?

Its real, man. Some people out there have to be the losers. The failures. The ones who exist simply to make the winners look better by comparison.

Right now, you are way better compared to TMS fag, W.I.T.C.H. fag, and lately the Gargoyles fag.

If you want to feel better about yourself, always remember that Chris-chan is a real human bean.

Ya know, it really does. We had very similar childhoods, but its comforting knowing I have a job and bills, while he's...him. Her. It.

Never look down on the mentally ill.

Its CWC. He's an exception.

Why do people hate negative atrributes/traits of personality in a character. I enjoy the fact he uses escapsism for it seems the way snoopy uses escapism is the same way many working class citizens do themselves to stay "happy".

It seems like people hated it because it went against the main theme of the comic, not because it was a negative trait.

hit a nerve?

Because it was not a very good comic.

I don't get the hype and I never have. Maybe someone here can explain it?

You don't get it because you're a blockhead.

The mentally ill aren't people.