Transformer General: Franchise Edition

What's your favorite microseries of the franchise?

Personally, its got to be Machine Wars. I grew up with the G2 cartoon reruns and the G2 US comic. But Machine Wars was the toyline of my childhood.

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dOOI9Wegy8c
youtube.com/watch?v=24NUrqs2MlY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>A young Kup...I kinda want to see it.
Botcon has depicted a Young Kup centric story before.

post YFW the last page of the latest Lost Light issue

BW Megatron is a excellent person,yeeess!!!

I still don't understand why they chose the Red Alert mold for Kup.

should've used Energon Rodimus instead who they used for Thunderclash instead.

How are they gonna get out of this one?

Maybe their parts will be scavenged by a new cast of scavengers

Looking at the Energon & Cybertron toyline selections for the Botcon 2009 boxset. There really isn't that many truck/SUV altmode characters to choose from. Ironhide, Red Alert, Rodimus, Inferno/Roadblock and Towline from Energon. Armorhide, Bushguard and Mudflap from Cybertron. So wouldn't it make the logical sense for Botcon to use a leader-type mold (Rodimus) for their leader-type character (Thunderclash) for their story.

IDW handling "Legacy Characters" in Transformers never really turn out A-OK. Look at RG1 with Circuit-Smasher/Spike

sexy grimlock

Nice dead general.

What went wrong?

>Looking through episode listings of Headmasters to figure out where I left off
>All of them are just a blur I don't remember watching
This sucks. One of the last shows I needed to finish up.

TFG which writers are the biggest continuity/lore-fags?
My Opinion: Simon Furman, Hayato Sakamoto and John Barber.

>including Sikomofo on any list
Leave.

Hirofumi Ichikawa also is another continuityfag.

how can you be a successful tf writer (comic or show) nowadays without being a continuity/lorefag?

as in reference/homages are kept to a bare minimum or none at all but still work.

or is it practically impossible?

its almost impossible. With bare minimum of references/homages we get stories/entries like Transformers Go! or season 1 of Rescue Bots aka all new cast of new characters with the only reference being Optimus from the Prime series.

Only if you are starting in a new continuity.

I want Star Saber to have the Ultra Magnus Twist, that like Magnus is just one of many and in the future we get a new non evil version of him.

Nickel legit has such good chemistry with them.

I hope she joins them and ditches Deathsaurus.

That's probably the hardest obstacle for any writer of any long running franchise. But on a side note, Larry Hama's ARAH crossover issues with Transformers were some great Megatron writing for writer new to the franchise.

even new continuity tries to cram references as much as possible.

didn't rescue bots eventually got to be it's own thing (at best a case of lasting long enough to get it's own identity)?

Only Animated did that. Prime was a normal show.

>didn't rescue bots eventually got to be it's own thing
quite the opposite really. Season 1 had like 3 or 4 appearances of Optimus (aesthetically looks like G1). Then when they got renewed for a second season half way thru S1, the production studio (not Hasbro) thought it would be good to link RB with Prime cause both shows were on the same network. That's why Prime Bumblebee showed up in the later half of S1

It was weird neither Ratchet nor Strongarm appeared in Rescue Bots cause they’re both emergency vehicles,

I read all of Till All Are One the other day and it was amazing. It actually made me like Starscream. A lot. And I previously despised him. Also now I ship Starscream and Windblade.

>What's your favorite microseries of the franchise?
The Micromasters reissues that included a series of text stories placing them in the same continuity as the Beast Wars animated series.
They were so much fun!

Thunderclash could’ve used the Energon Landmine .

I love Landshark and own him but I’d sacrifice his existence for a better Thunderclash.

You didn't before?

The ship or liking Starscream?

I've been behind. I'm trying to go through all the IDW Collection and I'm almost done with Phase 1. But I've read TAAO and I'm up to date on Optimus Prime and Lost Light.

A bit generic, but that is an attractive design.

I'd kill to get a good MP or KO of this design. Or literally any toy of this design

I love the art in Optimus Prime.

Kei Zama is damn great.

>how can you be a successful tf writer (comic or show) nowadays without being a continuity/lorefag?
By watching the G1 cartoon and reading a fairly good precis of the concepts involved in the Marvel comics.

That ain't deep lore... but TF written from that perspective is generally "correct" as long as you don't hew too hard into actually being cartoon continuity. Having someone to consult with to tell you "no don't do that, it's awful or has been done to death" is pretty much essential, but you can get by with that brief, _especially_ depending on your setting.
It's also a good base where only adding a few TPBs will give you a good idea how to write in (most) other 'areas' of TF.

That's not a tiny time investment -- it's 98 episodes and a movie -- but it's achievable for a new writer asked to write TF. (And if you have ZERO familiarity with TF then you shouldn't be writing TF anyway.)

I really like how it looks almost like a Crystal City/Knights of Cybertron design- super fancy with pointy bits everywhere.

>Star Saber used to be a legendary hero
>Reason why he's a religious zealot now is because that's who's currently occupying the armor

It does make sense, Tyrest was all about making armoured enforcers and even said Star Saber was Ultra Magnus' successor.

>Sticker book has duplicates
Pretty much false advertising

still more varied than the coloring books.
I'm asking exactly that. how can we get something interesting if they have to rehash the same characterization over and over again.

does every grimlock need to be a hard-ass?

different topic: too similar?

>Everything is a Mazinger reference
Kill yourself

>does every grimlock need to be a hard-ass?

your ignorance is showing

wingle came AFTER animated blackarachnia

i can't remember the reactions to this guy, was it as bad as RiD grimlock (the other one)?

Isn't it just an edgy repaint

>i can't remember the reactions to this guy,
youtube.com/watch?v=dOOI9Wegy8c
youtube.com/watch?v=24NUrqs2MlY
here's the Build Team's first appearance in RID2001, it focuses on them.

of what?

they haven't retooled minerva-x yet even though it's been years now.

>your ignorance is showing
The Wingle is from Mazinger SKL which released the manga and anime in 2010. Blackarachnia first debut in Animated in 2008. The Wingle design is based on Minerva X's Serine Mode from Mazinger Angels, released in 2004, which had a completely different color scheme unrelated to Animated BA. The special Minerva X De Noir toy that was released in 2006 was red/yellow/black with no traces of purple.

I'm still waiting for a Masterpiece of this.

Pretty bland looking. Maybe if the limbs were longer, had giant claws, and a vicious-looking face

You and me both user

so once duke gives skywarp ore 13 and he fixes himself what book do you think skywarp will fuck off to? and how many joes will he kill before doing so

>Duke gets his own book with other random Joes & R&R/Skywarp
what other options with Scarlett's Strike Force being canned

optimus? or give him a buddy book with Thundercracker and have it so Skywarp can write more believable humans than TC can

I want Skywarp and Thundercracker to be bros again.

yeah exactly.

that way you can always go back and do a Star Saber mini-series.