Why don't more superheroes use recreational drugs?

Why don't more superheroes use recreational drugs?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Crick
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_Ellis
google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amp/new-poll-finds-majority-americans-have-smoked-pot-n747476
dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3662245/Mutant-frogs-skin-showing-skeletons-beating-hearts-Russian-scientists-say-pollution-blame-transparent-amphibians.html
atlasobscura.com/articles/dyeing-the-dead-the-artful-science-of-diaphonization
youtube.com/watch?v=_h8-SBO-RKo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The same reason why most people don't use recreational drugs.

I want to FUCK Speed Freak!

>get high
>villain comes crashing through the wall

>most people don't use recreational drugs
???????????

>My ward is a JUNKIE!

Whatever happened to this comic? Was it any good?

>Take LSD
>Intuit the double helix structure of DNA and pitch a no hitter
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Crick
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_Ellis

You'd think Ollie would be more open to that.

What is a recreational drug? What isn't?
Heroin?
LSD?
Cocaine?
MDMA?
Marijuana?
I would say that most people don't do these. Or if they have in their life it's not regular enough to be considered recreational.

But is caffeine a recreational drug?
Nicotine?
Alcohol?
If you include these, then yeah most people do, but that's clearly not what you're talking about.

>Joe Casey
No, it wasn't.

Wha?
Drinking alcohol
Smoking weed
Snorting coke popping pills
Going to church/temple/etc

It’s all a form of mind alteration. get real, user

I dont want my sexy daughter saying "I want to smoke weed like Captain Cannabis."
Losers use recreational drugs, thats why they look up to superheros.

>Why don't more superheroes commit crime?

>sexy daughter
What are YOU smoking user?

What comics did these guys star in?

New Guardians

>star in?
None. Dude was a villain.

I was asking about Earth 47 guys in the OP.

Also none. They were morrison bullshit.

Sunshine Superman has shown up in an issue of Animal Man, Final Crisis and Multiplicity, a story from Tomasi's Superman run.
Speed Freak and Magic Lantern were in the same issue of Animal Man, and Speed Freak was also in Multiversity and Multiplicity.
Prez Rickards was from Prez, which ran for 6 issues before it was swept away in the Canceled Comics Cavalcade, and an issue of Sandman that is fucking amazing.
Brother Power had a series that lasted a whopping two whole issues, an appearance in Moore's Swamp Thing, and a Vertigo Visions book.
Shooting Star was in a back up in a bronze age Batman issue, where the question was asked "If not a Bat, what else could Bruce Wayne have been inspired by?"

Also Prez was in Supergirl #10, where she foiled some assassination attempts.

Grant Morrison didn't create any of those characters.

get off the fucking internet kid

>Marijuana?
>I would say that most people don't do these.
???
Do you live in Saudi Arabia or something?

Wrong.

Do you live in burning man? Regular MJ use is less common than you think.

Aahahahhaaaa wow get out of your basement dude

I'm so ashamed to say I learned about Snowflame from Linkara back in the day.

I'm sorry about your autism, user-kun.

Dudes, what? Marijuana is great but it's not super pervasive.

In the USA, about 1/5 adults use marijuana if you're young and 1/8 of adults if you're including old people. It's significant, but it's very much not most people, or even a quarter of all adults in the USA.

This nigga has not been outside in a while

Is it safe? Are all the scary drugs gone?

It's more than cigarettes, which are legal while weed isn't for most of America still.

Oh, sure, which is great. And usage rates will keep going up with legalization efforts.

But just because all your friends smoke weed has little bearing on the population stats.

google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amp/new-poll-finds-majority-americans-have-smoked-pot-n747476

Again, this comes down to regular usage. Plenty of people have tried pot. The article says 52%. It says 44% of that 52% use pot regularly.

That's about 22% of Americans, which is a little higher, but still pretty close to my 1/5-1/8 ballpark. I stand by my earlier assessment.

*22% adult americans

>but it's not super pervasive

That's out of the entire adult population including geriatrics, priests, moms, etc. And it's still really common there at 23%. That's comparable to how common it is for an adult to have a bachelor's degree. And it's extremely fucking common if you just look at young adults.

Wasn't he also in the DCYou Prez mini as an older man?

Not saying it's uncommon. Saying it's an amount not remotely close to "most people"

Sort of, but that guy never got elected, so I don't count him as the same person.

You're saying superheroes not using recreational drugs is the same reason geriatrics, priests, moms, etc don't use drugs then, which doesn't make much sense since most superheroes are yiung adults in their prime.

Of course not. Superheroes are a product. It's just marketing and moralizing. That's like asking why don't more people in toilet paper or Doritos commercials use drugs?

>LOL it totally makes you a genius DOOD
Meanwhile, 99.9999% of people who use LSD end up looking and sounding like retards while tripping.

Crick didn't inuit anything but Franklin's notes and Ellis was a serial liar on everything including being a clean while preaching straight edge until he died of liver failure.

psychedelics aren't drugs, user
that's just FAKE NEWS from the REPLUBICRATS because they want you in bed with their corporate overlords, Big Pharma and their opiate pushing medical establishmentarian crime lords

Why didn't Earth 2 volunteer to help sacrifice Earth 47 to Darkseid and saved themselves?
Also,
The Answer to your question is because Superheroes have to be responsible and failing to save people because you're high is disastrous.

now i'm scared these guys are gonna get fucked in Metal

Same thing with radiation, it just gives you cancer most of the time but a rare few get superpowers out of it instead.

Most are busy responsible adults.
They're probably closer to that contingency of older people who don't do drugs than kids and young adults who do.
Plus other character and narrative reasons they wouldn't do drugs.
And good luck getting a regular mainstream comic to show young heroes typically aimed at teenagers experimenting with drugs.

Never heard of these guys. Kinda dig the 70's cartoon style. Sucks when i looked them up just a few minutes ago i found out that they had no comics of their own...

At the risk of sounding like Alan Moore, superheroes are largely created to entertain kids and young teens. Do you want to buy a product that encourages your kids to do drugs?

Do Watchmen, Swamp Thing, The Invisibles, or Animal Man count as mainstream?

Nope.

>Do you want to buy a product that encourages your kids to do drugs?
>buy
>product
>information is a product
No. But yes to the part about encouraging drug use, it's a tragedy any time someone goes through life without ever trying psychoactive substances.

Sure. But I'm not letting my kids near that shit until their brains finish developing.

Watchman yeah.
Animal Man and Swamp Thing are greyer.
Invisibles, no.
But do any of those include young heroes, and I mean Young Avengers tier young, messing with drugs?

>Going to church/temple/etc

>Do Watchmen, Swamp Thing, The Invisibles, or Animal Man count as mainstream?

Among mainstream people, or even mainstream comic fans:
Watchmen - Sort of. But how many people have actually read it?
Swamp Thing - Same, but even less so.
Animal Man - No
Invisibles - Fuck off.

The ONE thing the CW got right about Ollie is that he's a hypocritical douche. If it's someone else he'll break his fucking leg if it means giving his political spiel and coming up with a way to act out his savior complex. But the moment someone even vaguely under his influence has a problem all that goes out the window.

>Watchmen - Sort of. But how many people have actually read it?
That's pretty sad to think about if many people haven't experienced that, it's basically the perfect comic book.

no, it increases your risk of cancer and never gives you superpowers unless your superpower is to be resistant against cancer. And even that isnt the radiation giving it to you, its you being naturally shielded against your retardation.

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3662245/Mutant-frogs-skin-showing-skeletons-beating-hearts-Russian-scientists-say-pollution-blame-transparent-amphibians.html
>The mutant frogs with see-through skin and extra limbs
Sounds like superpowers to me.

This user has it right. Watchmen consistently is either the best selling or in the top three catalog trades, year in and year out. So people are reading it.

Is it being read by as many people as read Stephen King on a huge seller, or the Potter books, probably not, even in total. But that's also true of a lot of media. I mean Big Bang Theory doesn't get the audience that shows like Mary Tyler Moore or especially something like I Love Lucy in their heydey.

Lets get this shit started
>1. the frogs are dead
>2. that was caused by pollution from mining, not radiation
>3. atlasobscura.com/articles/dyeing-the-dead-the-artful-science-of-diaphonization
I dont even care if this is bait anymore or not

The slow and completely avoidable onset of complete global extinction by our own idiot hands is pretty fun to feel hanging over you like a pitch black blade the size of the sun as you try to sleep at night, huh?

Thank you for the taking the time to debunk stupid shit, user. You are a beacon of hope in this age of bullshit.

Its just tiring at this point, I cant tell who's trying to garner attention intentionally acting dumb and who legitimately believes this stuff.

I have not met someone besides myself that does not at least occasionally smoke pot in like eight years.

Going to church provides for some people the same spiritual experience that LSD provides for others.

>Why didn't Earth 2 volunteer to help sacrifice Earth 47 to Darkseid and saved themselves?
What

Combine both for the best results.

Not kidding. Psychedelics can teach some people immense spirituality.

I think church would just scare me on LSD.

Something like this, perhaps.
youtube.com/watch?v=_h8-SBO-RKo

Being surrounded by old people is not a good trip. Don't go to McDonald's in the middle of the day, either. Unless you have a cute boy to stare wistfully at while you shove burgers down your throat. That makes it worthwhile.

Set and setting, dude. You need the right church, with the right people, at the right time.

Look, my church was just me. I was a kid. It was across the street from me. I went there when nobody was in mass to wander the church and the garden grounds alone, and I found what I wanted for my spirituality alone, and I'm *happy* with it alone. Find it your own way, and drugs just did a lot to help illuminate parts of me I wasn't comfortable confronting. Now I am and I'm a happier person.

I'd absolutely adore to go trip on LSD and be able to sing in a choir. Or even by my fucking self to the close friends who understand. Doesn't matter. Just that I have some, any kind of peace inside to keep me going through this hell we've made for one another.

I mean, I'm not even Christian, so I'm not really willing to go to that level of research. I'd love to do mushrooms in a mosque, all that geometric shit.

user. That's my point. You don't have to be Christian. They don't have the monopoly on God or its concepts. They just sell it same as you get sold food and iphones.

People shouldn't make musical comedy unless they can make music

Just like the %20 of murricans if drugs
And %70 if we talk about alcohol

I'd rather just be at my grandma's ranch. The stars in Texas are beautiful, man.

yeah you want to talk Nation Of Suicidal Alcoholics, come on down to the USA

It's one of his weaker songs, I agree.
Try Old Folk's Home or Dino Rap.

>I'd rather just be at my grandma's ranch. The stars in Texas are beautiful, man.

user, you found your church. Go be happy in it and see what the stars tell you, on drugs or not. Don't matter. Drugs just let you adjust the radio frequency and color channels. Reception is entirely up to you, altered state or no.

>user, you found your church.
Oh, you were speaking, like... metaphorically. THAT'S dumb. I wasn't in Just going to church on Sunday really does provide some people with that same sense of spirituality.

>This whole fucking thread

i imagine their bat family must be exactly pic related

I was scrolling to see if anyone posted him.