Grow up loving animationg

>Grow up loving animationg
>Spend years drawing, go to expensive animation school
>Work your way through the industry
>Get your own hit show on a major network, achieving one of your dreams
>Fuck it up by rushing the second season just to "get it over with" or by allowing your staff to completely run amok with artistic liberties and writing

As someone who would love their own show, this seems like a massive waste of an achieved dream.

Add Pen Ward to that pic, he counts.

For a sec I thought that was a "before and after" picture

wait what?
pen left the show BEFORE the second season, didn't he?

Yeah, that's the point. He pitched Adventure Time for a couple of years, finally gets it made, it ends up being a hit on CN and then he just lets every other artist take control of his characters and have artistic freedom doing whatever they want.

I would assume people who want their own cartoon do it because they have a very specific story they want to tell and be in control of. Not just to shrug and go, "Eh, you do it now".

People want a cartoon because they get paid to be a manchild who draws pretty pictures. Noone actually wants to work once they've put in the effort to get their payday

well, some do, but it's not so much a want as a compulsion- kinda like those guys who build things out of toothpicks.

>rushing the second season
You know nothing about Hirsh's history with Disney, do you?

>Hated working with Disney
>Said he'd do a second season only after being convinced not to end the show on a cliffhanger
>"I'll do 10 more episodes."
>"Sorry, we only order seasons in bulk of 20.
>"Ugh, fine, I guess."

Back when the show was first premiering, he talked about how he planned for three seasons, one season for each month of summer. That tune quickly changed after he burnt himself out because he works harder, not smarter. The reveal of Ford was suppose to be a season two finale, not a mid-season.

So yes, I do know of Hirsch's history with Disney, including his time spent on Fish Hooks and how someone over there decided he would be perfect to pitch a show after looking at some of his CalArts student films.

Calarts was a mistake.

Sugar went to SVA. A school on the other side of the country from CalArts.

and yet nobody better has stepped forward

I don't really know much about either Gravity Falls, SU, or really animation animation production in general, but how different is being a showrunner than the jobs that lead to that position? Just because you enjoy and are good at the work that got you a job as showrunner doesn't nessesarily mean that you'll be great at, or like, the actual day-to-day work involved in being the person in charge.

There's also the fact that dream jobs at the end of the day are still jobs. Making the cartoon that you've been envisioning for years still involves deadlines, budgets, and creative differences. I'd imagine that your enthusiasm would drop pretty quickly when your job involves decisions getting vetoed because it'll take a month you don't have or because a producer doesn't think it'll jive with the Tide Pod generation.

They're all the same.

Thanks for crushing my dreams

Gobelins?

every dream gets crushed by money and people who want to make money.

I dunno, Craig McCracken managed to make three solid cartoons, have two of them yanked away from him (nuPPG and Disney refusing to even give Wander the time of day) and lose a baby in the process and he's still managed to come out enthusiastic about his next project.

>>Fuck it up by rushing the second season just to "get it over with" or by allowing your staff to completely run amok with artistic liberties and writing
except steven universeĀ“s second season is actually good. It went to shit in the third season.
Either way i don't know why you would pity sugar. She's making her dream come true and she really doesn't care that the storyboarders have all that liberty (but she should). Even if you hate SU she's not miserable at all.
Alex hirsch on the other hand is probably suffering a lot,but he kinda deserves it

That's really not a common trait, man.

It's not completely uncommon among artists, though. There are many artists out there who willingly suffer just to work on what they want. Don Bluth went bankrupt trying to fund his own studio.

I'm not saying artists need to suffer in order to make it in the industry, I'm saying if you're going to work in such a cutthroat industry where getting a show is hard, maybe that privilege should only be given to hard workers rather than complacent average artists. We might get more quality stuff if we gave chances to people who really want to prove themselves.

is his sister a tranny?

I don't think that all of the pitfalls that I listed are nessesarily implicit in showrunning, but I do think that it's worth reminding people that it's its own job with that like any, comes with responsibilities and restraints. There are certainly people like Craig who manage to excel at showrunning, but that doesn't mean that we can expect every showrunner to perform fantastically for an extended period at a job that might not align with their skills and dreams.

>but that doesn't mean that we can expect every showrunner to perform fantastically for an extended period at a job that might not align with their skills and dreams
But that's usually why it's a good idea to get lots of work experience first before you leap into something as big as running a show. Hirsch had only worked on two shows prior to GF and Sugar just one. Craig, on the other hand, had helped direct many, many What a Cartoon shorts and worked on a couple of early CN shows before getting to make the PPG pilot.

I would like to think that a person would know if they wanted to be or excelled at being a showrunner BEFORE they were given millions to make a 26-episode season. It's the equivalent of giving a newbie director the keys to a future Marvel movie and him finding out halfway he doesn't really enjoy directing movies. That's not the best time to figure that out.

It's like how nuPPG basically has a crew of newbie artists and it's CN basically using the show as a vehicle to train future artists. But that's not the best show to attach your mediocre crew onto.

Those are fair points, and with that in mind I can better understand why people might be upset.

Guess I just jumped in because I saw people playing armchair director without any apparent consideration as to why showrunners fall off, and in the process I probably gave Sugar and Hirsch more credit that they deserve and didn't really think about what should have been done in the first place to ensure that people in charge are up to snuff.

Wow her HRT worked wonders. Did she keep her benis?