Batman

What the fuck is the point of all these people? Batman works best when he's angry and by himself, when he's a physical force instead of some middle age loser with a family. The whole point of Batman was that his family was taken from him and he'll always be alone and he fights crime so that doesn't happen to anyone else. Alfred and maybe one or two robins makes sense, but a biological kid and a wife and all these other fuckers that are somehow related has made the writers lose sight of what the character is actually about. Having a family was never apart of Batman and defeats the purpose of the character. I understand these other characters are popular but I don't really know why. The best portrayals of Batman have always been when he's by himself, ex. the Nolan trilogy, Arkham Asylum, TDKR, BvS, etc.

The best portrayal of Batman is when he keeps bringing people close to him in an attempt to help them in the way he was never helped and regain his lost family, only to push them away as the extremes of his lifestyle and his own untreated psychological scarring keeps him from forming intimate bonds.

>Batman works best when he's angry and by himself
Said about 50% of Batman's readership. The other half like his family and extended team.
If only DC could print out different kinds of stories in which Batman is in both of those situations...

I second this.

>Batman is our best seller character here at DC
>Let's create a dozen other characters that look just like him, and earn more money

Here's why

Stick with Nolan, kid

>when he's by himself, ex. the Nolan trilogy
Where he had Alfred by his side every step of the way and had periodic meetings with Gordon and Dent? Even when Alfred leaves he gets Catwoman.

Why do they always omit Azrael?

Crazy religious fanatic uncle.

Who's the chick between Batwing and Red Robin?

Still worth noting him though.
Cass if I had to guess.

Until Rebirth Detective, he hadn't been around for a very long time and nobody ever cared about that Michael guy in the suit.

Ditto, I forgot Orphan was a character

>the Nolan trilogy
>TDKR,
>BvS

Batman's best stories usually feature none of these characters
and the majority of them have no good stories coming close to Bruce's mid tier adventures

Why do we have a Bat Family again?
Why do we need so many child street level characters running around?

She wasn't at the time of this art, everyone's in their Nu52 costumes but she's wearing the Pre-Flashpoint Black Bat outfit.

this

The family is only good when the author knows how to write them, like BTAS, or Morrisons run.
But you like BVS so you have shit taste anyway.

>and the majority of them have no good stories coming close to Bruce's mid tier adventures
>Secondary cast members don't have stories as good as the character whose stories they spun out of.
Great insight, moron.
Why do we need supporting characters in any story at all, eh?
>Batman's best stories usually feature none of these characters
Most didn't exist when they were written.

Hell even Marvel does it with Spider-Man.

Most of them don't have long-running solo series to begin with.

Most of the Batfamily got very little focus during the Morrison run in favor of the Club of Heroes.

>What the fuck is the point of all these people?
They bring money.

>the first rule of Batman: I was never alone

someone tell me who are these people i only know like 7 of these

>Most of them don't have long-running solo series to begin with.
So what? They're supporting characters. Even if none had ever had a solo series, they could still be allowed to exist as long as people want them. Which apparently is the case, because here they are.

Huntress, Batwing (David Zavimbe), Cass Cain, Tim Drake, Batwoman, Damian, Batman, Nightwing, Batgirl, Red Hood, Spoiler, Terry McGinnis, Alfred.

How come Batwing was the one character that survived from Inc.? It was the lamest; Bat-Ironman fighting low tech African warlords with superweapons.
In my heart, I would've chosen the Batman of Japan. But it's way too much of a ripoff, so I would've kept Nightrunner. European setting, parkour... I feel like it just works.

It was a rebuttal to the argument that these characters don't have good stories to themselves. How are they supposed to have good stories with them as the main character when they lack starring roles to begin with?

Azrael has two personalities. Nicest augment you will ever meet and twisted fanatic psychopath.

Ouch don't cut yourself on all that e--well you know the deal.

He's the character that another writer had ideas for a story. When you put out a character because you to push it but none of your writers really have an idea of what to do or what story they want to tell you get modern Carol Danvers.

I think the problem with Nightrunner is that he was too closely tied to real world things, meaning that unless you were pulling a shit ton of research or had a writer with direct experience it'd come off as fake and you'd catch flak for it. Just read up on how much research Yang does for New Super-Man in order to nail the verisimilitude.

Personally I thought Batwing worked really well; he wasn't IronBat as much as he was a more armored, gadget-heavy Batman that needed it because the low-tech African warlords and criminals were all packing military weaponry and combat experience. I would have chosen Batman of Japan myself since with everything else DC has with Japan you could carve out a nice little side-setting there, but Morrison's reference/stereotype game was too strong by the end so you'd need to do what Winick did with Batwing and make changes in order to make something more unique.

I like Loner Batman who over time gets a Family and Friends

This. I know western comic are all about keeping the status quo, but honestly, why wouldn't you let a character change and develop over time like a real family? It makes for good storytelling. Bruce had everything taken from him, and he rebuilt his life, including his family. And to add on to that, if I was ever to end batman, I would give him some kind of final realization that his crusade against crime was a bandaid, and never made him happy the way his family did.

That's quite the under-rated post you got there user.

The point is that DC wants to sell books so they separate characters from their original book then they have "Robin" "batgirl" "Catwoman" but DC is always looking for a character to associate with Batman in order to make it popular since they want more books and that crowd of characters is the result.

The magic word is money

Anyone that doesn't appreciate the Batfamily is a retard that doesn't read comics. Or someone that's interested in reading comics, but can't seem to understand that characters have side-characters that stick around.

>No ace the batdog
They had 1 job...

Bump

Cass, Az and Damian should have a talk, they have much in common.

So what IS the “point” of his character? You’ve been spouting off about it in your blog post OP so why don’t you tell us? Stop beating around the bush and lay out his character and it’s purpose for us. Tell us in excruciating detail

Bump

This. Same with Spider-man and Superman when he used to sell good.

Azrael may be a centuries old madman but JPV is a friendly guy who helps out other people and has a cute kitten.