Happening of the decade

I work for Geonet, a government agency which monitors earthquakes in New Zealand.

Things are going crazy at the moment. The earthquake that hit on Monday morning is an incredibly unusual sequence. We've never seen anything like it in New Zealand. Initially we saw two simultaneous severe earthquakes (Magnitude 6.2 and 7.5 respectively) on opposite sides of the country, which shook for approximately 2 minutes, followed by aftershocks across the country of varying magnitude. The sizes and frequencies of the aftershocks are unique among existing data.

Currently Geonet is not allowed to make any public statements without government approval as they don't want us to spark a panic. The problem is that there is a high probability (our best guesses say at least 70% chance) of the Alpine fault unzipping. If this was to unzip, it would destroy Wellington and possibly Christchurch. The problem is we cannot evacuate the cities just because an earthquake "might" happen, especially since we have never observed such an event and so there is a lot of uncertainty in our models.

The fault unzips every 100 to 350 years, and the last time it did was 299 years ago. When it ruptures, we expect an earthquake of magnitude 8.5-9.5, however it would cause much more destruction than a usual quake of this size since Wellington lies on many connected faults faults.

The expected death toll of an unzipping is between 1000-50,000 depending on the severity.

I know this sounds like bullshit but if any anons here live in Christchurch or Wellington I'd strongly suggest you move to another city as soon as possible.

If an unzipping event does occur it will likely be within a few months to a year. You should not take for granted that the aftershocks stop. If you value your life you seriously need to get the fuck out of Wellington.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Fire
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's the weather like under the ocean?

Got a timestamp or something? Pic of your ID with everything blacked out ?

>it would destroy Wellington and possibly Christchurch.
what's the population/size of these cities?

I strongly suspect OP is a larping faggot but being a Wellingtonian this makes me feel comfy

>The problem is we cannot evacuate the cities just because an earthquake "might" happen
dead fucking wrong, if a major city was destroyed and it came out that a government agency was aware it had a chance of happening everyone would get fucking crucified for it
if you actually worked for this government agency and what you said was true, the entire agency would be jumping up and down getting people out of the area
if you're going to type out that much bullshit at least learn to hide your autism and lack of understanding of the real world

Are you seriously not going to tell me what the weather is like down there, under the water?

God damn, it seems like Christchurch never gets a break with these damn earthquakes. I remember the one from 2009, and it seemed like it was really bad.

i always wanted to witness an earthquake. here in germany you can never sense them, and while on vaccation in turkey i always slept through them so far. never lucky

About 400,000 each

Fuck. I've got family in Wellington and I was planning to visit in February. How likely am I to die in a historically unique event?

it's windy with a 90% chance of the single biggest bass drop of all time

But Wellington and Christchurch are the best cities in the country. I would rather fucking die than live in Auckland or Hamilton

can we expect any official statement regarding this, or are they just planning on staying silent and after it act like they knew nothing?

Looks like New Zealand isn't so safe after all

No Mexicans though.
So there is that

Shouldn't you provide some compelling proof? If I were a Kiwi I wouldn't move based on a post that looks like LARPing bullshit but if you actually want to help some people you should back your shit up

Nigger you best be trolling because I'm moving back to Wellington next week.

Got SJW's yet?

>I know this sounds like bullshit
It actually sounded factual until this statement.
Might as well have said "please belieeeeve me"

>there is that
Shitloads m8, most of them are university students too. I recently had to attend a work seminar to learn about rape culture and proactive consent. According to the blue haired feminist that ran the thing I'm a rapist because some girl I fucked had had something to drink and because I never asked her specifically if she wanted a root. Like when she was grinding her naked pussy on me I kind of got the message you know?

Move to Dargaville

tripfags are cunts

>. Like when she was grinding her naked pussy on me I

M8 aren't you a tripfag?

Wow I guess you meme lizards don't know anything about underwater weather.

top kek

Yeah, New Zealand isn't safe then. SJW's are another version of Nazi's and when they gain power there, expect a real genocide to start happening against the people they deem as intolerant

>1 post by this id

>I work for Geonet

>The earthquake that hit on Monday morning is an incredibly unusual sequence. We've never seen anything like it in New Zealand.

>What is Christchurch?

KYS

my uncle works for nintendo and he confirmed this

Some of you guys are alright, don't come to christchurch/wellington within the next year or so.

That's where you're wrong kiddo

Well it seems like Silicon Valley's plan to move to New Zealand has been foiled; as well as many other butt hurt people

>it would destroy Wellington

Getting rid of politicians AND a bunch of SJW's? Stop, I can only get so erect.

Isn't NZ just filled with disaffected US ex-pat hippies? I would never go there.

In the US people build in known flood and tornado zones all the time. It's stupid as shit but the government can't force them not to.

I've never seen any

They're usually liberal, but not hippies. Tons of european hippies, but very few of the american persuasion.

Any more details? How is the West Coast going to fare? Looks like Greymouth is pretty close to the fault

>Haha i-it rains all the time in England
>E-england has such shitty weather

tfw OP just is sick of waiting in line at the movie theaters

my nigga MAKE GEB LAUGH AGAIN

>mfw it happens tomorrow

had one noticeable a few years ago, actually thought my chair was collapsing because it was shaking. but it was over in like 3 seconds.

Start hydraulic fracking for natural gas and in 5 to 8 years you too can experience them!

t. resident of state that now has earthquakes as of the last 5 years... Fucking Okies..

Something like this happen here The current landscape in the photo is a result of the May 1960 earthquake. Measuring 9.5 on the Richter scale, it’s the strongest earthquake ever recorded. During the quake, the sea floor popped up 20 feet and the island of Chiloé dropped about 7 feet. The tsunami that followed flooded the coast, the salty sea water killed the cypress trees, leaving behind the skeletal remains that can be seen today, this is called ‘the sunken forest.’

Could an "unzipping" earthquake in New Zealand conceivably cause a separate megathrust earthquake in the Northwest or California?

Yes but its a long shot
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Fire

>NZ is the only civilized country in the world that might be safe from a nuclear attack
>but it sits right on a massive fault that could swallow the island at any moment
is there ANYWHERE that's safe?

'unzipping' is a exaggerated buzzword.

This will never happen.

I hiked the TA trail 2014-2015, met a ton of great Kiwis, I was absolutely blown away by their hospitality and kindness. NZ is amazingly beautiful and rugged, love the Kea birds!

I was in Christchurch and Kaikoura, and I'm blown away by the destruction of the roads and rail to Kaikoura. That town is going to have to be vacated until it can get it's supply routes again...

I know ya'll are tough and helpful, y'all will pull through this shit.

Is there any chance that an earthquake in New Zealand sets off the Big One in California, which then sets off Yellowstone?

Bumping because deebly goncerned

Wear these at all times. They are designed to protect you from these dangers.

Jesus Christ, how safe are we in Auckland?

>I work for Geonet, a government agency which monitors earthquakes in New Zealand.

No you don't you fucking LARPing faggot.

'unzipping' just means a length of the fault goes at once. which is how the alpine fault works.

it'll cause me to megathrust into your gf

i though new zealand was the globalists safe space?

can you guys even feel these 5.0s?

last 15 hours

Yes, that precisely will not be happening.

Five years ago we had a 7.2 two days before a 9.0

Good luck!

Look pretty cool desu.

TO EVERYONE WITH NFI ABOUT NZ

It has been the migration island for the world's leftists for quite a while now, to give you some perspective think of a country sized Montreal, or an island comprising of the US west coast.

That is NZ.

We're looking at a mass leftist slaughter here boys.

hehehe

Can feel some of the bigger ones in Christchurch. They don't always shake the shit out of you but you can tell they're happening

hahahaha I love the implicit doubt embeded in FLAG but really I feel sorry for all u anons if this actually happens stay safe guys.

OP when you say "rips" I imagine like the ground opening up or like caving in like some hardcore sinkhole shit can you tell us more? Do you mean just a really big earthquake or some music video shit.

UNDA DA SEEE
UNDA DA SEEE
DOWN HEE IS BETTA
DONW HEE IS WETTA
TAKE IT FROM MEEEEE

Easy enough to find out if it's bullshit. Just start tweeting it out to a few Kiwi journo's/shockjocks/whoever. Quote Geomet (if that is a government agency) and warn them of the impending disaster. They'll be into it faster than a rat up a drainpipe.

>299 years ago
How the fuck do you know that?

And just how bad was it?

>The problem is that there is a high probability (our best guesses say at least 70% chance) of the Alpine fault unzipping.
not happening this century.

fuck off little australia.

What's your reasoning for thinking there will never be another major earthquake on the alpine fault, one of the fastest moving plate boundaries in the world?

I was just thinking that. I'm not a geologist but if the Pacific plate pulled away from Asia, causing NZ to zipper, wouldn't that cause even more pressure on the American side?

That city is still a shithole. The quake didn't help it any either.

Sent a deadly tsunami to Japan too.

That's why we're friends now, I guess.

>If you value your life you seriously need to get the fuck out of Wellington.
After Wellington is destroyed, can you pull the same trick over here in Melbourne?

I don't know, I was just wondering if I'd be ok if Yellowstone went off, being in the east and all.

sediment that becomes fossilized shows distortion

It's a fuckin' earthquake. These things happen on Geological scales. Just because they know one is going to happen really, really soon doesn't mean they know when to evacuate because that could still be a timespan of months, even years.

The whole world is basically fucked if Yellowstone goes off

Quakes in the 9.0 range can tilt the axis and shift countries, the 3/11 quake pulled Japan 2 meters closer to North America.

I read that at least twice when the Alpine Fault has gone historically that the north island faults go simultaneously, if that's true gg NZ

>tfw living above fault line
REEEEE

It will happen if kek wills it. Shadilay!

Ash would block out the sun

Kek

some leafs are ok

Yeah we're still feeling the aftershocks. My window blinds were rattling every few hours yesterday. Fuck earthquakes are weird, you feel dizzy and disoriented and the entire Earth feels like its shaking.

Yeah, I know it would fuck us up a bit but I was wonder if it would outright kill us or make us die of starvation even on the other end of the continent.

Feels good not living on a faultline then, at least

>magnitude 8.3 earthquake in 1855
>multiple magnitude 6-7 earthquakes in 1942
>tfw my town will probably be destroyed again in 10 years

>called the Australian Plate
>the only earthquake hotstops exist in New Zealand

could you be any more cucked by us

New Zealand has shockingly strict immigration laws, particularly strict against Americans

They have an actualy branch of gov known as "Dawn Raiders" (possibly renamed recently but still the same thing)

First it's like a truck smashes into whatever building you're in. Then a few seconds of calm, then shakes and feels like you're building is going to collapse (they often don't, in the western world).

If you are outside glass and brick galore come flying down. The quake feels like eternity though usually only goes for 30secs to 3 minutes.

As soon as it stops you want to get the fuck out of any building, you also should expect roads to be broken and traffic lineup 10 miles long in either direction with nothing moving so if in Tsunami area better get to high ground fast and dump the vehicle.

t. Quake survivor of 2001 Seattle 6.8 and 2004 Thailand 9.1

Fuckin Winston Peters. Why is the only politician that says anything remotely sane, like how we need to stop mass Immigration from China, a fuckin Maori?

Hopefully it awakens the Auckland volcanoes. Fuck this chink-ridden shithole.

Had one on Saturday where you could hear the vibration before feeling the shaking, side-to-side is bad, but up-and-down is even worse.

I was on the 16th floor very close to the 9.0 that hit here five years ago.

No, you don't want to feel a quake, they fucking suck.

Depending on how powerful it is and your distance, damage can still happen. Plus, one that big opens up new/dormant faults.

>Implying 600 smaller earthquakes in 2 isn't enough reason to panic I'll tell you the same thing I told the faggots in the San Andreas fault, tornado alley, the mighty Mississippi line
You were stupid enough o live there you get to live with the shit it spews all over you for being retard

thx, desu
will (((not))) do.

I second that

Team Fortress 2 was completely right about New Zealand sinking into the ocean

Holy fuck the scientists in BC are saying that we're overdue for a 9.0+ by 100 years. The last one in 1700 caused a bunch of eruptions and rekt Japan with a tsunami. So sorry I guess.

Ducking idgiots
1 post by this ID

yellowstone is a hotspot, thin spot in the outer core where magma is close to the surface, not a fault line

Is this related to the "super moon"? I hear this tantalizing theory that gets brought up every so often but has yet to find good proof, that earthquakes work on something like a tidal system and we could eventually use that to predict them.