The Wicked + The Divine

Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead.

Trigger Warning for extreme Gillen/McKelvie-ness

have a good storytime, OP. read the first 5 trades of this a little while ago and I quite liked the concept.

i was meaning to reread the series during this most recent break but kept putting it off and since it's back next month

if i was clever maybe i would've started by storytimeing the recent 1923 special

starting with that "once again we return" is a morrison trick, Invisibles does it. I think Gillen was open he stole it

It inexplicably, mysteriously turned to shit when the MC was revealed to be a god as well. Wonder why that could be...?

>Page 20 is the poster-child for “This book is about problematic people doing problematic things” lampshading. There’s nothing that Cassandra says that isn’t correct. By putting it in the text, it’s our way of giving the nod to the readership that this is what the book’s about rather than blundering around with no awareness. In short: if you want to do a story about something, it has to be included as an element in the story. This is us saying “We know, you know, go with us.” It’s also a sign to say “if you’re not willing to go with us, you probably should get off the train. The book is only going to frustrate you.”

whoops i think this is page 20

stupid trades

on the other hand I feel like Cassandra got a lot better once she came into hers. way less up in everyone's business and hair-triggered, and a lot more aloof for better or worse.
i don't really know how I feel about much of the character development in this book though.

this page reminds me of the Invisibles.

i forgot what clean shaven Baal looked like

>lampshading means we get to keep doing it
I know "hate read" usually caries a much more exclusively negative connotation, but I "hate read" this series. It entertains and infuriates me at the same time. It's simultaneously ballsy and cowardly, daring and calculatingly safe. I can't tell if it's balanced, or if it consistently undermines itself. It's almost immaculately executed, but I'm not sure I like what's being executed.

It's definitely one of the most cringe comics Image has ever put out but I'm guessing the same things I don't like about it are the reason it has so many fans.

this is the only Image comic that I like

explain, if you please.

you know, I kind of agree. it has some lore and action and mystery sequences, but with all of those - and with the "social justice" topics it tackles - it all kind of falls into the most obvious choices. it feels like it's relying on being the "first" to do this kind of story in this kind of format, and so it doesn't need to try very hard to say anything new or worthwhile.

it comes off as weirdly lazy on the large-scale.

He is such a bitch

I'm a huge Gillen fan, Phonogram is one of my favorite comics ever and love the lore

exactly what i was gonna say. that being said, the tie in was really good imo. i enjoyed it and also the series as a whole

Why though? It's using a cool concept like music as magic as bad hipster allusions to mediocre indie hits

dread "File too large" and i was walking the dog

>It's almost immaculately executed, but I'm not sure I like what's being executed

this is why it's impossible for me to talk about it on Sup Forums, it's like I agree about all the points but to me they're positive!

there's a special about the Romantic Gods fyi

so it's not so much that you dislike "the rest of Image" as much as this book is just 100% your wheelhouse? Fair enough.

I'm confused about what you mean here.
>I agree about all the points
The points I made in my hate-read post or the points that the book makes? I do appreciate the book, but there are some moments in the 2nd and 3rd arc (Woden's patriarchy speech, "OMG THAT'S SO PROBLEMATIC" in Japan) that really embody what irritates me about it all so I'll try to formulate my thoughts a little more coherently in preparation that thread.