What are some comics that casuals think are good but are really utter shit? Pic related

What are some comics that casuals think are good but are really utter shit? Pic related.

This is some poor bait, user. Everybody knows that Kingdom Come saved 90s comics from the Edgelord Extreme Era that was dominating the market, and Magog is the physical representation of that "Edgy Era" that threatened the visibly out-of-touch "traditional" superheroes.

Y the Last Man

This.
DC has spent 20 years memeing people into buying it. Art itself doesn't make a story good.
Same with this run. Normal fags eat Snyder up for God knows why.

>”Muh God Butcher!”

Shit was fucking boring and nonsensical. It only gets retroactive love because the Alt Right infected the comics community and hates Whor(which isn’t bad at all)

Killing Joke
Infinity Gauntlet
TDKR
Saga
Civil War
New 52 Batman
Flashpoint

>inb4 nu Sup Forums says the Abbnet/Lanning run was shit

their Majestic is good

Kingdom Come is overrated, but it's still a solid comic.

It didn't have as much influence as you think it did. Morrison's JLA and DC's general "back to basics" treatment of the Superman and Batman related titles at the end of the decade was what really marked the beginning of the end of the "Image era".

Jeph Loeb's entire body of work. Hush and Long Halloween especially

Then Johns showed up and it just went right back.

Is this thread just name comics people enjoy and claim they're shit?

There's nothing "90s" about Geoff Johns' work. The dude is basically just doing Bronze Age style superhero generic stories with "cinematic" storytelling techniques.

Keep in mind this isn't a complaint.

So far most of the ones posted are sort of legit, but it's going to turn into that once people run out of common answers and/or decide to be ebin and contrarian.

I was mostly referring to the edginess part of it.

>There's nothing "90s" about Geoff Johns' work.
Wanton death and dismemberment, storylines that go nowhere, meaningless BIG EVENTS . . . Johns is more 90s than the 90s

Saga. Why the fuck is Saga still so popular when it lost any vestige of quality it had ages ago? Is it battered housewife syndrome?

The writing / story wasn't great, but Kingdom Come is more known for the art.

I enjoy most of the comics listed. They aren't my favourites but I wouldn't catergorize them as "utter shit". Especially when there is an enormous catalog of very awful comics written.

DC only dipped a toe in the whole 90's shit, though. When people say 90's comics were bad or edgy they really mean Marvel, Valiant, and Image was bad and edgy. Quality wise DC was carrying the fucking decade.

Scott Pilgrim

Does anyone seriously think "X kills the universe" is seriously deep and engaging writing? I would assume even its promoters just find it to be silly fun.

Hush. Sup Forums already hates it, but the wider comic reader base seems to think it's the quintessential batman story

The Punisher was at least campy fun. The Deadpool comic was aggravatingly stupid and overly tryhard on its edginess.

On Sup Forums, Snyders run is under-rated. Everywhere else it's over-rated.

Always hated this series along with Zombies.

If you had to write this nonsense and make it good, use a character you that wouldn’t be “strong enough” to actually kill off the marvel universe.

>Deadpool
It’s just for fanboys
>Punisher
Yawn

You’ll never see shit like:
Hawkeye kills the marvel universe
Or Professor X does.

As for Zombies: There’s hardly anything cool about it. Yeah, infected heroes keep their powers yada yada. The survivor element should have been there. Poorly executed IMO. Real talk, it fucking bugs the shit out of me to see characters like Thor, Wolverine, Deadpool, and even fucking Luke Cage turn into zombies.
Shit doesn’t make sense even with the whole “hurrr I’m smart and engineered a way for everyone with meme healing to succumb”

>ghost rider is a zombie
The fucking dead guy became a zombie. Fucking Dropped.

Divine faggotry at its finest. Shit should have ended with Doom nuking the universe

Johns' GL, Flash, Action Comics and JSA
Waid's Daredevil, Birthright
Pretty much everything from Rebirth

Casuals hate TDKR

The funny thing is with your argument is that Professor X is a much more believable threat to the Marvel universe than The Punisher or Deadpool.

Not him, but do they?

You’d be amazed how often I have herd the expression “Most people who didn’t like BvS just didn’t read TDKR.” in the past year or so

Normies would have a hard time believing that. My point is that those books are so damn cringeworthy I don’t see how they sell at all.

It’s literally some shoehorned fanboyism if anything

Watchmen

The Wake was such a piece of shit

Killing Joke is actually good, this meme has to end

Marvel Zombies vs. The Army of Darkness anime directed by Tetsurou Araki when?

A lot of casuals I don't think have even read it, they just say they have so they look as if they know what they're talking about. At most they watched the movie, and act like that's good enough.

Meant as a reply to .
I'm tired.

No. Not at all.

>only dipped a toe

Not even close. You clearly don't remember all the shit they were putting out. The fact that they didn't go as far in that direction as other publishers doesn't change the fact that most of their books were infected by it at some point or another to as least some degree.

Daniel way's deadpool.

>marvel sucking their own dick in an extremely bland story
>omg classic!
Only retards call Marvels good, is not even mediocre.

Classic spiderman

>First of all, is a superboy rip off but casuals don't know it because they don't read comics so they think spiderman was the first teenager superhero without a mentor
>The villains were all extremely generic or blatant rip offs from other villains from DC
>Spiderman was the most obvious power fantasy in comics history, casuals like to repeat that peter tried to "hide his fears" making sarcastic comments and being a jerk but multiple panels state that those are just his hidden thoughts and spiderman is a way for him to do whatever he want with the people he want to punish
>peter parker was a little Clark Kent, the 2 characters had nearly no differences

There is nothing more overrated by casuals than classic spiderman, his popularity mostly comes from toys and cartoons because kids like his design not from good stories.

>Batman used a gun in his early stories
>Superman only flew because when they made the cartoon it was just easier to animate.
>Spidey was never really sarcastic out loud in the beginning.

Holy shit, everything casuals think they know about comics is a lie.

Didn't the zombies throw up, or spit in Luke cages mouth or something?
Bit his tongue off? I don't remember

That was the initial go-to justification for how shitty the movie was: "Marvel movies are for casual audiences, DC movies are for comic fans!" It was just another form of denial.

>The Punisher was at least campy fun.

Are you talking about the Ennis one or the one where he fights heroes and villains who've turned into flesh-eating monsters that aren't zombies?

Too fake

>story wasn't great

So are there any comics that casuals and Sup Forums both like?

All I'm seeing here is people name dropping decent books without any real criticism or reasons for why they're disliked.

Peanuts

Swamp Thing
Sandman
Doom Patrol
Animal Man

What comics do you like

I wouldn't consider myself a casual but I don't like doom patrol, and I don't have that huge boner for animal man like everyone else.
What I'm saying is I don't really enjoy grant Morrison.

But me not enjoying them doesn't make them "utter shit"

Does anyone actually like Kingdom Come besides Superman/Wonder Woman shippers though? They are the only ones I can find that will actually defend this steaming shitpile as some kind of well-done exploration of the DC superheroes instead of hot garbage where everyone acts like a retard or a borderline psychopath.

It's fun getting into arguments with SM/WW fags about it though. Watching them scramble for an argument when you point out that the story turns Superman into a tyrannical dick while Wonder Woman encourages him on it is always fun.

I just read New Frontier and thought it was kind of boring desu

>shitting on Based Waid to try yo fit in
What a idiot

How is deadpool or p;unisher in anyway in a league to kill off the marvel universe? Any character you pick is going to handjob to kill everyone.

As for zombies, the 28 days later infection series was more along the lines of survival than made up zombie rules.

It started out with some reasons. Then it just became a super virus that shut down superpowers.

Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe is perfect

Show DKR to 100 casuals and 99 of them will complain about the art.

Casuals cite TDKR all the time as to why Batman "has" to be dark and edgy and/or why Batman can beat Superman.

God Butcher was at best OK, carried by the beautiful art. God Bomb was terrible. I liked The Accursed though

nice bait

literally everything Millar did without Morrison.

inb4 muh Quietly, he's over rated as hell too

>DC only dipped a toe in the whole 90's shit,
for every Shade The changing man we still got several Extreme justices

90s Vertigo was good. It was edgy but was done in an artistic way.

How did it 'save comics' when it neither offers a new way forward, nor shows why the old ways work? Every new hero is a massive edgelord and all the old heroes are either corrupted or end up huge assholes (such as Superman setting up what is outright called a Gulag).

Its just Waid bitching about the current state of comics for a whole GN and offering no solutions.

It wasn't. Kingdom Come had great art, but the story definitely wasn't anything special. It was OK at best. You're supposed to read Kingdom Come for the artwork, not the story.

>Let's make Superman the two dimensional Jesus analogue critics are always accusing him of being
>And let's get someone who can't draw faces to illustrate it

DC in general.

Marvel in general.

hated this one. Punisher kills the marvel universe was pretty okay.

Pretty much this, can't go wrong here.

>Several Extreme Justices
How many Image tier runs were even there in DC? Extreme Justice, Fate and?

> Killing Joke
I dont get. The art is nice and the final Joker/ Batman confrontation is great but unless you take it as "Batman kills Joker at the end" it is basically 70% shitty Joker origin story, 20% Joker being repugnant and only last 10% "good Batman vs Joker confrontation."

I enjoy morrisons main dc output. Whenever his stuff gets too far up its own ass i tune out. his new 52 superman almost did that but i could forgive it because it was fun

Maybe you're a casual if you get in those conversations.

I enjoy his series, Jupiter's legacy/circle were fun

They are garbage, Millar can't write a story that flows well. And his plots are always garbage and badly paced

Civil War. Normies and casuals eat that shit right up.

I wouldnt say that. Ive been reading the finch run of new 52 wonder woman and THAT is badly paced and flowed. i remember tearing into jupiters circle/legacy

uggh civil war should have been so much better. and worse its responsible for all these annoying comic runs being interupted by some wide scale event. did all the infinity and secret wars events do the same back then?

This is probably the best example. On top of how awful the actual event his it completely fucked the MU for over a decade and the damage shows no signs of being fixed.

Bump

how does the ending page what the story is mostly about? that stays the same regardless if he kills him at the end or not

Why do casuals love HerovsHero/X kills the Xuniverse? Also Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe 2 sucked ass. Deaths usually happen off panel or in a chibi mode. Fuck XkillsXuniverse should be edgy as fuck, that's the whole point. Seeing heroes you hate ( I was hoping that Deadpool would have eviscerated Miles, Riri, etc but what we got was a cop out, it's supposed to be cathartic but what we got is basically getting edged over and over again also "Hur durr this is prequel of OML that's why it's good!" can eat a dick.

Anything that is popular or has gained attention is automatically bad and shit. If some normie even knows it exists its probably garbage for the lowest common denominator pleb faggots who learned about it from some obscure joke in a let's play. Anyone who disagrees is by default a casual if you don't have this level of passion.

Alias.

Pic related. Hush is a jack-in-the-box. Once the big reveal comes, there's no reason to go through the story again. There's nothing to analyze, and nothing to interpret. What you see is what you get.

Preacher is far too Ennis for normies to touch. Even the fedora'd atheists.

That’s a pretty casual-tier reaction pic

It's the way of internet culture. Everything is Memes to be absorbed and repeated on cue.

Everything is Awesome... for like 10 minutes, until Other People start liking it and then has to be thrown into a wood chipper & disposed of.

>big reveal
That the new character introduced in bruce's life and the new villain introduced in batman's life are one and the same?
There's no reveal, that's fucking obvious from the start.

Killing Joke was the biggest letdown I've ever experienced in comics. Biggest "That's it?" moment.

>pic unrelated

>TDKR
get out

this topic is not about overrated comics, user. read the OP, you edgy faggot.