WRITER TIME: You've been hired as the writer on the Illumination Mario Movie. You can do anything as it's not too adult...

WRITER TIME: You've been hired as the writer on the Illumination Mario Movie. You can do anything as it's not too adult. What's you the plot?

HARD MODE: Make it good

Other urls found in this thread:

slashfilm.com/animated-mario-movie/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How adult is too adult?

>Take cues from the RPGs, Super Mario Adventures and games like Odyssey
>Mario, Luigi & Yoshi set off to rescue Princess Peach before she's forcibly married to Bowser
>Bowser is main villain, Bowser Jr. is sorta a anti-villain (tries to stop the bros so that his dad won't be stressed out while planning the wedding, generally isn't involved with what Bowser's doing)
>Wario & Waluigi are also trying to rescue the princess because there's an award offered for her return making them the rivals.
>Other characters such as DK and Diddy show up from time to time as allies
>Birdo gets a Sticker Star/Color Splash-esque out of nowhere cameo
It's a safe approach, I know.

>Sticker Star/Color Splash

Why did you have to remind me that those exist?

no cursing or nudity

Because Birdo's cameo was one of the few amusing moments in those games.
>Heart of a woman, Heart of a man,
>Both know of love's grace...

Just fucking do Superstar saga.

That's not a plot thats just random stuff happening. How do you come up with a character arc for someone like Mario? He has no character flaws

Road trip/Odyssey esc. adventure of Mario and Luigi traveling to different lands/worlds/kingdoms to catch Bowser.

>Mario and Luigi move to Mushroom Kingdom, get a house on the edge of it
>Princess welcomes them to her kingdom, has cake
>She's kidnapped by Bowser after she's left and he uses the power of the star rod to transform the kingdom into hostile territory, turns the toads into stone and bricks
>Mario and Luigi are unaffected since Bowser doesn't know about them
>They go on an adventure, beat his minions through hijinks and ingenuity, bond as brothers and beat Bowser

Mario jumps on stuff and makes wacky faces for 2 hours. No Luigi save him for the sequel.

>How do you come up with a character arc for someone like Mario? He has no character flaws
You could probably play up Mario's impulsiveness and naivety that some games do give him. Playing up the former would especially help him contrast with Luigi, who's usually the more timid one.

Can I just be president of Illumination instead so I can hire Don Bluth to direct?

No matter what you do, Nintendo will have you by the balls and won't let you fuck with their plumber. They care so much about it that during one of their few crossover games they had the composer redo a track because they put a wrong note in the music for the game over sound

>>Birdo gets a Sticker Star/Color Splash-esque out of nowhere cameo
ruined

The big question is whether this movie should be about the very first time Mario comes to the mushroom kingdom (like a superhero origin) or start with Mario already as a famous hero but introduce a new villain (like Thousand Year Door)

What does Sup Forums think?

it's exactly like the movie Memento.

>Mario is the fun-loving, but overly confident hero of the Mushroom kingdom
>One day Bowser challenges Mario to a race/mini golf game/tennis match/whatever, and convinces him to wager the Power Star, which protects Mushroom kingdom
>Luigi learns that Bower plans to cheat, and warns Mario, but is ignored
>Mario loses the match, and Bowser gets the Power star and uses it to gain control of Musroom kingdom, and decides to make Peach forcibly marry him
>Mario goes on an adventure to reach the castle and defeat Bowser

>complaining about Nintendo

That's not the game user. The game is to figure out what the Mario SHOULD be, regardless of what it could be

Nintendo's actually at this weird halfway where you can probably sell them on an idea, but they'll be super autistic about it.
Remember that we live in a world where Mario + Rabbids is a thing.

>they're actually making a real deal Mario movie
That's just too surreal to even respond to. It's almost certainly just going to be meat and potatoes basics, since this is blatantly a testing of the waters.

By the way, guess who finally got around to doing a play through of Sunshine. It's every bit hilariously awful as you think it is.

>complaining
I'm not complaining, in fact I think it's good they treat mario with so much respect. I was just stating that for the people who think illumination will fuck it up

And that game is where my example for having the guy redo a track came from. Nintendo likes to do random stuff with mario but they don't like fucking it up

Oh right.
Either way, it definitely won't end up like the previous movie.

Oh, I ready know, and I already watched the TIHYDP of it. What a complete ass clown.

okay okay okay
i got it

you know princess peach right, well she gets captured by bowser, and mario has to go rescue her

108 minutes of Mario speaking random pseudo-italian gibberish like in the M&L games

It was possibly worse than normal, since Sunshine is pretty fucking easy, kind of on purpose with the vacation theme. The pachinko fail was glorious.

Make it Oceans 11 but with Mario characters. Each of them has a special skill.

>Mario jumps good
>Luigi is the master of disguise
>Wario is the muscle
>Yoshi throws eggs
>Peach is the high society distraction
>etc

They have to break into Bowser's castle to steal the mcguffin.

I thought it was one of the harder 3D Marios. Way harder than 64, but easier than Galaxy 2.

Shit I'm not sure. My gut says like Thousand Year Door. There's so many great characters in the Mario universe that doing an Origin would probably mean squandering them. (I dont want to have to wait till the end of the movie to meet Bowser)

I wished they had just continued introducing new villains.

>You can do anything
Suspension of disbelief broken. Nintendo is gonna have an iron grip on this film.

What if it's funny nudity?

lazy user is lazy

I think I would take a page out of Mario RPG. Mario is just a fun jumpy who is brave and selfless and doesn't need to change. Its his friends who grow on the adventure (Luigi/Yoshi/Bob-Omb/Koop)

>(I dont want to have to wait till the end of the movie to meet Bowser)
Just do what PM64/Super Mario Adventures did and have scenes with him and Peach from time to time

Eh, I never had that much trouble with it, except for the pure platforming challenges, which tore my candy ass apart. Loved every minute of it though. Never blamed the game for my fuck ups either.

Or make it about Luigi trying to live on Mario's shadow.

>Take Genndy Tartakovsky's Popeye script
>Change the setting, replace the Popeye characters with Mario characters

>mainline titles
>Peach is a helpless damsel in distress who is easily kidnapped

>spinoffs/RPGs
>Peach is an accomplished athlete on par with Mario, a powerful magic user, and a formidable combatant
I kinda hope the movie addresses this discrepancy, because it's so weird, it feels like it should be a plot point.

>spinoffs/RPGS
She gets kidnapped in pretty much every RPG aside from Mario + Rabbids too, it's just she's usually able to help out more in someway because the villains have additional ends beyond kidnapping her unlike Bowser usually.

>Mario go rescue Peach from Bowser again at the start of the movie
>As always, Mario rescues the princess and they leave to the mushroom Kingdom
>When they come back, a new villain has taken over the kingdom
>They also meet with the staple new cute character that will help them around
>Peach end up being kidnapped by the new evil guy
>new cute character explains the only way to get Peach back and defeat the new evil is to get a macguffin that will stop him
>meanwhile Bowser is trying to think of new plans to catch the princess with Bowser JR and the rest of the koopa kids
>Mario prepares for the travel, get Luigi and Yoshi before leaving
>Bowser go to snatch Peach again but gets fucked by the new villain, have to retreat
>In their travel, the gang meet with a ton of characters, go through perilous shit and stuff happens
>They also get saved by Bowser at some point, end up teaming up just like Super Mario RPG
>Whole end is Mario, Bowser and the gang fighting against the new evil in total cooperation
>Everything end well, Peach is back, new villain is out, cute character makes the farewell
>Bowser goes right back to their old shenanigans but gets defeated by Mario and the gang

Basically a plot line out of any Mario & Luigi

WAKE UP IN THE MORNING FEELING LIKE P DIDDY

They could do like Paper Mario and make Peach do shit to help out the plot despite being kidnapped

>tfw in TTYD Peach gets to take a shower
>Not Hal 9000 gets to see everything and somehow falls in love with her

>What's you the plot

>new villain arrives
>Bowser forced to team up with the good guys
This needs to happen in the movie. Bowser is at his absolute best in these kinds of situations.

Exactly, SEGA didn't treat Sonic with respect and just look at him now

> that wario and waluigi
This is the most beautiful thing that I've seen all day.

This is actually a great idea. Combine this with the "Bowser changing sides halfway through to take on another villain" thing and it would be perfect. I'd limit the hero cast to Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach (and then Bowser) initially though, as otherwise the time devoted to each might get spread too thin.

>You've been hired
Oh, I wish

>>Mario jumps good
>>Luigi is the master of disguise
You fucked it up, Luigi is canonically the higher jumper

Since I can do anything, I resurrect Captain Lou and cast him as Mario.

Ditch everything else and just make a Wario Land movie with Wario and Waluigi, with Captain Syrup as a supporting character/rival and occasional cameos from the WarioWare characters.

Dont blow your load in the first movie, just set up the main cast (mario, luigi, peach and bowser) and the mushroom kingdom. if we ever get a sequel you can get Smithy teaming with Cackleta and Bowser joining mario to use shroob technology.

I support this idea but I think it would work better for a tv show.

>Mario and Luigi Segale are two brothers from Brooklyn who run a small plumbing business. Mario is sick of his normal life and wants to do something different. Luigi is also dissatisfied, but feels like it's something they have to do.They still live with their parents, a first generation Italian immigrant also named Mario (Voiced by Charles Martinet) and a scientist named Pauline. Mario Sr. tries to encourage Mario to have an adventure, but Mario is reluctant despite truly wanting it. What would his brother think?
>Eventually they get hired to fix this mysterious old woman's pipes, but they are sucked into the Mushroom Kingdom. They are greeted as visitors by Princess Peach and her father King Toadstool. King Toadstool explains that they are the first humans to come ever since the first ones came from Earth thirty years earlier. He said that they were part of an experiment to explore new worlds, and that while some returned to Earth, some stayed back to liberate the Mushroom Kingdom from the tyrannical Koopa Empire and take control of it. Not long after, Bowser, the former prince of the Koopa Empire, comes out of hiding and kidnaps Peach and holds her for ransom in exchange for the Kingdom. Mario and Luigi are then tasked by the king to retrieve Peach, since humans in the Mushroom Kingdom have enhanced superhuman abilities.
>They have to make a long journey across the lands, running into tons of obstacles. They free a dinosaur like creature from some Koopa Soldiers and name him Yoshi. Yoshi then helps them on their quest.

Continued in next post.

>Overtime, we hear that people are mistaking Mario for "The Jumpman", one of the humans who became a legend after helping to defeat Bowser before heading back to Earth.
>We eventually learn that the Jumpman was Mario's father, and that Pauline was of the scientists behind the Mushroom Kingdom expedition.
>We also have a subplot throughout the movie of Peach inside Bowser's castle, where he often monologues and how his kingdom was taken from him by the Humans. At one point, Peach tries to escape, and she gets pretty far, but she fails.
>Eventually, the brothers and Yoshi make it to Bowser's castle and free Peach. However, they are caught by some guards and then all four have to try and fight their way out. Mario chases after Bowser in the midst of the fight and follows him to his throne room, which is surrounded by a moat of lava with a bridge being the only entrance. During the fight, Bowser tries to hit Mario with a battle ax, but Mario manages to snatch the ax from his hands and cut the bridge, sending Bowser falling into the lava.
>After the battle is won, there is a huge celebration. Mario and Luigi return home to Brooklyn, their thirst for adventure sated. Peach seems somewhat saddened by this. They tell the story to their parents, who tell Mario that he was actually born in the Mushroom Kingdom while the expedition was going on. Mario Sr. tells Mario Jr. that he could stay there if he wants.
>And so, Mario says goodbye to his parents and asks Luigi if he would like to join them back to the Mushroom Kingdom. He agrees to come with him. The final scene of the film is Peach in her castle, longing for Mario. She hears a knock on the door and then it opening. We pan over to see Mario standing in the doorway. He smiles and says...
>"It's me."
>Movie ends.

I would like to see a post-credits scene teasing a Zelda movie and therefore a Nintendo Cinematic Universe, but I got nothing for that.

Not sure about the plot but the end is there:
At Peach castle, Mario arrives and the toads deliver a big cake.
Then a scared Toad arrive andsay the Princess isn't in the castle.
Some goombas that were also invited say they didn't do it that time
Then Peach pops out of the cake wearing a pink plumber outfit. "Everybody dance now" starts playing.
everybody dances including Bowser.

I feel like it wouldnt be hard to make a great movie out of Super Mario. There's so many fun locations and characters- it's less about what they do and more about what they DONT do (dont have pop songs/toilet humor/ awful stunt casting)

Have a subplot about Bowser trying to get all muscular and hefty (but still fat) to take out Mario but have him doing all soft of stock strong/sexy poses for cringy "comedy".

I would do this purely to satisfy my bara Bowser fetish.

This really is the most important question from a plot point of view. I dont know what would be best

Who is tihdyp? Got a link?

Is this a Don Bluth style? If so, it look hella good

I have had some ideas written down, but since I doubt I would be on the Mario movie project, might as well spill.

The film is titled "Mario". Not Super Mario, because this is the story about how Mario became Super Mario.

The film begins with an 8-bit battle between Mario & Donkey Kong. Mario reaches the top & the film transitions to 3D. Mario stops Donkey Kong, who is really Cranky Kong, from throwing barrels. Donkey Kong comes along to pick up his "pops" who is "off his rocker".

Mario & Luigi are plumbers. They live in their business, "Jumpman Bros. Plumbing", based in the capitol of the Mushroom Kingdom. Mario is a man of few words. He's humble & modest as he is a lowly plumber. Luigi is very similar, but more cautious & neurotic.

The brothers get a call from the Mushroom Kingdom to rid the sewers of an infestation. Piranha plants are popping out of pipes all over town. After a struggle, the brothers fight back the plants. They are called upon the Kingdom to report to the castle.

At the castle, the brothers are thanked for their response to the call. They appear in front of Princess Toadstool & Toadsworth. Toadsworth thanks them. Peach wants to give her gratitude, but is taboo for a princess to interact with someone as lowly as a plumber.

Princess Peach is the ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom in her father, King Toadstool's absence. King Toadstool is half Toad while her late mother is fully human, making Peach three quarters human & one quarter Toad. The king has taken most of the army with him to help with some foreign affairs. Peach does rule, but she rules according to precedent. Toads are mild, meek people that do not handle aggression. Peach rules according to their disposition; she doesn't want to upset the order or tradition of the kingdom.

(1/2)

>my heart goes doki doki when he flutter jumps
>that one shy guy that says birdo is kinda old but she's still really entertaining

After a while, Mario & Luigi are called back to action when another invasive species causes havoc over the kingdom. Yoshis are feral creatures that eat everything & produce eggs regardless of gender. Luigi in particular faces his fears & manages to pet a Yoshi. The Yoshis are tamed & the deed is done.

Meanwhile, Bowser, the King of the Koopa Kingdom, sees that the Mushroom Kingdom is vulnerable to capture. King Bowser is the alpha Koopa with many children. The rules of succession makes his youngest, Bowser Jr., next in line. Feared & revered, Bowser depends on sheer brutality, not cunning, to rule the Koopa Kingdom. Bowser's army attacks the castle & Bowser kidnaps Peach as political leverage.

At some point Bowser burns down Jumpman Bros. Plumbing in the middle of the night. Mario & Luigi evacuate in time. Mario doesn't feel like he is qualified to save the kingdom, but he tries regardless of how impossible it seems. Mario & Luigi recruit some allies such as the Yoshis to storm Bowser's castle. Mario reaches the inner sanctum of the castle for a toad to inform him Peach is in another castle.

In the end, Peach asserts herself & partially frees herself. Mario saves Peach & Bowser is defeated. Peach pronounces Mario as her champion & pecks Mario's head with a kiss. Mario & Luigi rebuild their home & some of the capitol, including a home for Yoshis.

And combined, they make the troll slaiyers

I can tell you what needs to happen to make it good:

>No Origin Story: even kids already know the characters
>No, Lesson or moral stuff that they try to inject into every movie. Just an adventure.
>No Pop Culture references or songs. Everything needs to be Orchestrated and Original or atleast taken from the games if they want to save money.
>Mario and Luigi act more than they talk.

>Everything needs to be Orchestrated and Original
Better have Koji Kondo
>Mario and Luigi act more than they talk.
and Charles Martinet

Martinet's voice is like nails on a fuckin chalkboard. I tried to listen to 1 minute of that video where he explains the features of the 3DS and my ears started to bleed. Face the facts- to sustain a movie they need to dial the Italian screeching down and get a voice actor who can give Mario pathos. Even a Hank Azaria or Dan Castelanetta could do this, but not Charles.

>Hating Martinet
Why do you-a hate a mario

slashfilm.com/animated-mario-movie/
>Nintendo's Miyamoto says they've made progress on a "Super Mario Bros." movie screenplay, but could still pass on making the movie if the story isn't up to snuff

This restores my confidence a bit

I’d do dream team, personally.

Peach Kidnaps Mario it's up to Bowers and Luigi to rescue him.

It’s sort of bizarre when something like this is able to technically fit into Sup Forums, Sup Forums, AND Sup Forums.

>liking dream team
LOOK AT THIS DUDE

Waiting for Mario to rescue her leaves a LOT of time to practice and exercise.

Just make him a mostly silent protagonist. Martinet sounds fine as long as you never give him more than a sentence at a time.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's nintendo why were you not already confident

The shitposting will be unbearable.

Mario and Luigi start the movie off leaping through pipes and bouncing off mushrooms
They both get captured by bowser
Movie shifts to our heroes of the movie, peach and daisy, two stronk independent womayns who don't need the help of no man.
They are more powerful than everyone and easily defeat all villains.
After credits teaser showing captain toad discovering a chaos emerald in a deep cave. Duh duh duuuuuuuuuhhhh!

M-masaka...

Is true Mushroomkino possible??

His actual enemies from the games and the locations from the games get brief cameos at the beginning and then the rest of the movie takes place in DA REAL WORLD. Mario helps a regular human who is totally not a self-insert of me win back his ex-girlfriend and get the promotion he deserves. The Mushroom Kingdom denizens are usually really tiny but Mario eats a mushroom to get bigger. Magikoopa is the villain along with some OC minions, they stay small and try to sabotage everything Mario does.

Mario definitely says "mamma-mia" in a pizzeria at some point and everyone dances during the credits.

This is not how I'd write it, but it's probably how it will be written.

The biggest challenge in making a Mario movie is character bloat. It suffers the same challenges that transferring a large television show like Game of Thrones or The Last Avatar to film.

So my best advice is to copy what the first Pokemon movie did, and make a high quality short to preempt the movie featuring characters that won't play a big roll in the actual movie. (Luigi, Wario, Waluigi etc)

You definitely want to avoid an origin story. Everybody already knows who Mario is, it's redundant, and if you have a film about Mario finding the Mushroom Kingdom for the first time then you have to devote an excessive amount of time introducing Mario to Peach, Bowser, Yoshi etc etc. Also the idea that he came from Brooklin is contentions anyway, what with Odyssey having Pauline in New Donk City. Also origin stories are critical poison and you presumably want this to be a good film with high reviews and word of mouth.

Plus an origin story like that would railroad the plot into a traditional "Bowser kidnaps Peach' story and considering the social climate that has to be avoided unless you want Feminists boycotting your movie and tanking your reviews. Which segues nicely into the matter of which characters to use. Mario dosen't have a diverse cast, so to make up for it it'll need to overemphasize it's female cast to avoid criticism + land positive reviews.

>character bloat.
the fuck are you talking about, Mario doesn't have bloat

Having said all that, here's how a conservative plot for a successful Mario film would turn out

>Mario is established in his forest house he shares with his brother (ala something like his Paper Mario/RPG), a few introductory antics to show the audience, A) Mario is a cheeky young adult, not some 50 year old man like Bob Hoskins. B) his character+flaws; too carefree, enthusiastic about fun and adventure but lazy about housework, popular, competitive, a little greedy, big eater, optimistic to a fault. He receives an invite to some sort of ball at the Mushroom Kingdom.

>Bowser somehow has obtained a new macguffin to help him take over the Mushroom kingdom. He plans to use it on Peach. Sends his floating armada to Peach's ball.

>establish Mario further at the ball. Introduce his friends as he mingles though the party, show off his hero status, emphasize Peach and Mario's special 'relationship'. Bowser predictably crashes the party.

>At this point your possibilities of where to go with the plot are wide open, but you need to have Bowser lose control of the macguffin - maybe one of his underlings steals it/or it's sentient itself/or it possesses one of the good guys. And now it's threatening the world and controlling Bowser's army.

>Mario, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, (Daisy, Pauline, Rosalina, some girl) + 'black voiced Bowser underling', now all need to go on a journey to stop the macguffin from destroying the world. They bond along the way, show off their goofy traits. Mario has a low moment where he briefly gives up hope after his character faults fuck things up for everyone, but then finds the hope inside him to fix things Etc etc you know how this plot goes

Mario Mario II and his brother Luigi Mario, successors to their father's plumbing business, find a strange pipe in an abandoned building they're hired to repair. It's large enough for a man to enter and is supposed to be jammed, so Mario ties himself to a line attached to their car. However, once he's inside the pipe, he's sucked down into the void and Luigi, panicking, reaches out for his brother before getting entangled in the line and being pulled down too.
They're shunted into the Mushroom Kingdom with nothing but what they're carrying and find the castle empty of life. After seeing a Goomba run up to attack him, Mario stomps it. They hover wondering what to do for a little bit before Luigi punches a block, freeing a Toad that tells them that Princess Peach is being held by Bowser and if they rescue her, they can turn everyone back to normal. Mario thinks she can send them back home, so he convinces Luigi to help.
We should probably have some sort of B-Plot where Princess Peach attempts escapes and otherwise sends aid to the Bros, like magic mushrooms and such.
Partway, the Mario brothers meet Yoshi through some sort of accident and find out they were actually born in the Mushroom Kingdom, their family left because it was too dangerous. After a midway fight with Donkey Kong who recognizes Mario Mario II as the spitting image of his dad, they have a short fight but Mario spares DK and heads on forwards.
Bowser fight happens and they barely manage to send him into the lava. Princess Peach saves the kingdom and thanks the pair, before letting them decide whether to go or stay. Eventually, they decide to stay after selling the plumbing company and using some of the gold they've collected on their mission.

I actually like it. It just overdid the tutorials, and Starlow should've disappeared after it.

Make it exactly like that one greentext with the kesha music. Fuck hard mode, I wanna watch the world burn.

Of course it does. Think about how many core characters your average movie has. Now think of how many 'main characters' besides Mario there is in Mario games, enough to fill entire party game rosters twice over. Mario is full of characters that if they don't appear + don't do something awesome to affect the plot, will cause outrage from fans of that character. But it is unfeasible to appease all these fans, because that would result in a movie that's a hot mess.

I don't like any of this but you're probably closest to how it will go.

As I've said in these threads before, I want Mario to be a jerk who hates everyone, like Scrooge. A poor plumber living in New York. Then he's warped to the Mushroom Kingdom and ends up in sort of a Galaxy Quest situation where the toads want him to save the world but, unlike Tim Allen, he doesn't give any shits. It's not even that he's scared, it's just that he doesn't care about saving others. But through his adventures, he learns to care.

Post-credits scene is his brother Luigi showing up at the apartment in New York after not seeing his brother for years.

>that yoshi
>red sneakers
10/10

>emphasize Peach and Mario's special 'relationship'

The new hot thing in children's movies is to subvert the expected relationships so probably have Mario rescue Peach at a critical scene, go in for a kiss, but have her awkwardly turn down Mario and say she'd prefer to be friends/her job is too important.

Double bonus if she kisses another female instead.

This

>Or make it about Luigi trying to live on Mario's shadow.

>ANOTHER Mario movie where Luigi is treated like the protagonist

Fuck off with that bullshit.

Ramp up the darkness a la Super Paper Mario. Get as close to a PG-13/R rating as we can, introduce a new villain that Bowser has to help against, make the consequences actually mean something.