Why is he hated so much?

I've always liked him, but it seems everyone just plains hate him and now they don't even acknowledge his existence anymore.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FBbw1--WEsU
youtube.com/watch?v=0Ip62HNZK9k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

he's a cool character but fans hate him because he ruined the show's formula

It's a meme.
He was just a weird annoying addition a lot of people didn't like, that hatred became comically exaggerated over the years, now they don't acknowledge his existence because he's not useful to the formula.

He changed things up which caused some people to dislike him and then spread this dislike long and wide enough to become a meme to hate the "Scrappy", regardless of whether there were people or kids who liked him.
He's already infamous for being the mascot of a drop of Scooby-Doo's quality, and no reasln to contest that for a small character like him.

Scooby Doo's formula became stale as fuck.

The formula is dead enough, he could have been the Stewie of Be Cool, Scooby Doo.

Yeah but Scrappy wasn't really all that innovative himself, he's just your typical late season addition based on more popular cliches and trends then they spammed the fuck out of him.
Now he doesn't hold that appeal to most people especially since the joke is now how awful and shitty a character he is, so there's no reason to include him.
Is that supposed to be a defense of the character?

He was mildly annoying as a side character, but just needed a bit of retooling.
Then he got his own show, where he became more obnoxious.
Then (and forgive me if my memories are hazy here) he got a new show, and for some reason had a child following him around, of the archetype 'charming foreign boy, coddling his master'.

This could all be forgiven, except he came back in the newer stuff as a ubermensch dog with an inferiority complex, harvesting the powers of skin walkers to get revenge on Scooby Doo for... Velma getting tired of his shit.

He then came back in apocalypse with the same kind of schtick, except Scooby has even less of a reason to be hunted (while everyone else has MORE of a reason), and Scrappy has gone full eugenics style edgelord.

TL;DR: He was an interesting, albeit flawed, character role that gradually went from decent to bad to much, much worse.

>Is that supposed to be a defense of the character?
Yes, I still think the character still has a lot of untapped potential and people are being dumb by sleeping on him.
youtube.com/watch?v=FBbw1--WEsU

Mostly a meme I think. I didn't really find him aggravating from what I recall.

He was annoying. Now he's a joke. i used to like what CN would do with him in promos.

youtube.com/watch?v=0Ip62HNZK9k

>oldfag on 2018 Sup Forums.sfw

Scrappy was created for the sole purpose of saving Scooby Doo from it's dying formula and dying ratings but with that came Scrappy being annoying and further pushed into the audiences face

Now he's the butt of the joke in every incarnation of Scooby Doo ranging from Scrappy being an evil asshole to just outright being forgetting as the joke because he was mildly annoying and change the formula of a dying show

it's really autistic

This. The whole idea of the show was getting spooked by fake monsters and trying to solve mysteries. Throwing in scrappy, who autistically charges into every monster and isn't afraid of anything wasn't fun.

Scrappy really has it hard. He is the reason people still remember Scooby Doo and he has nothing to show for it except mockery.

He managed to serve his purpose by increasing the shows ratings, but looking back he's a pretty useless addition to the franchise. I think he gets too much hate for that though, I mean you could argue that Scooby-Dum was a much worse character but just about no one remembers him.

From what I can tell, he wasn't that bad in the Red Shirt era. Aside from that time he rapped, that was terrible.

I wonder if the younger kids even know Scrappy was a real character. Whenever they rerun old Scooby Doo it's never any of the ones with Scrappy.

If Scrappy actually played up the 'adoring nephew' character and had a VA reflecting he was actually a puppy and not a midget dog I think he'd be way more endearing. His design could be tweaked to be cuter, hell the OP image already does a good job with that. One of the things I liked about him was that he often wasn't afraid of ghosts and shit and in some specials even actively attacked the villain himself. Scrappy could also serve as new villain bait because of this same willingness to get involved and take the heat off Daphne since everyone in the mainstream has such a fucking problem with her being subject to damsel in distress syndrome.

That might be what helps bring the Scappy hate into meme status. Kids who are unfamiliar with his history will pretty much just grow up with more recent versions treating Scrappy like he was the worst thing to ever happen to Scooby.

>Scrappy Doo thread that isn’t just pure hate
>Scooby-Doo thread that isn’t just trashing the original series or fawning over Mystery Incorporated

>Scrappy could have been the Stewie of Be Cool, Scooby Doo.
Too bad the first live-action movie already did that.

The show's ratings were slipping after it had been on the air for 10 years basically doing the same formula.

Scrappy was added to the show to reinvigorate it, but he wasn't the only change. When Scrappy showed up the show also started having "real" ghosts and monsters instead of it being a guy in a mask. Fred, Daphne and Velma were phased out of the show at the same time too. All these changes did boost the ratings and helped the show survive, but the formula was completely changed. The show was shortened and it got rid of the mystery solving in favor of being more slap-stick comedy with Scooby and Scrappy being chased or chasing some (again real in the show's Universe) supernatural being.

The "new" formula was actually less original then the old formula, it kinda turned the show into something similar to old Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse cartoons. That only lasted a few years before people started to get sick of it, so they tried to bring back the original formula, and the whole gang, with Scrappy tagging along as well. But at this point some viewers had started to blame Scrappy for the changes they hated, and the new version of the show just made him seem like extra baggage. 13 ghosts was the last attempt to "fix" things, but when that failed it was just years of reruns until the soft reboot that was APNSD.

As time passed it became more and more of a meme that Scrappy had "ruined" the original show, and his absence from Pup and from most of the direct to DVD movies only enhanced that meme. Then the first live-action movie took the meme to it's logical conclusion, making Scrappy a villain.

Because the ending of Future Scrappy Saga was bullshit.

He was the goofy sidekick to the goofy sidekick.
It was a step too far in the direction nobody wanted.

He also gave Scooby a reason get into dangerous situations. there is so many times you can convince somebody with snacks.

wait, is scooby a sidekick?

>tfw people no longer hate you cause you don't matter anymore

He kinda is when you think about it. He's just a sidekick that got top billing.

Other shows where the sidekick got top billing?

>Then he got his own show, where he became more obnoxious.
Which ones where those?
>Then (and forgive me if my memories are hazy here) he got a new show, and for some reason had a child following him around, of the archetype 'charming foreign boy, coddling his master'.
I don't think this happened.
The only show I could think of where Scrappy appears without Scooby is the Yabba-Doo one.

I'd really love to see a series try to redeam Scrappy, just for the hell of it.

Similar shows like Speed Buggy, Funky Phantom, Jabberjaw, and Goober and the Ghost Chasers

The only Scooby content I ever saw with Scrappy was Ghoul School and he was by far the least memorable character

who cares about the cancer that was ghoul school, it has nothing apart from shit waifus

It's not as bad as Reluctant Werewolf.

He is a bit impetuous but I think you've got to forgive that of a talking dog.

Pretty much. Fred, Daphne, and Velma were the go getters and they weren't 100% courageous. But having someone that had to ALWAYS be yanked away from a monster got stale fast and worked against a winning formula.

Scrappy should've been more of an investigator that ran like everyone else.

I hated Flim Flam more
And Scooby's dopey ass country sibling

At least Scrappy had heart, annoying forced catchphrase aside

>you could argue that Scooby-Dum was a much worse character but just about no one remembers him.

Probably because Scooby-Dum wasn't crammed down our throats.

This doesn't change the fact that Scooby-Dum is a shitter character

Just because Scrappy was forced doesn't mean everyone with an opportunity has to take their autistic hate out on him

Which would you remember more, a character who only shows up in a few episodes or a character who was in every single episode taking up much of the spotlight?

I liked Flim, I would like a comic starring him and Scrappy. It would be interesting to see them try to solve mysteries and have a rivalry with the main cast.

That doesn't change what I said man

What's with this picture that makes me think a pup named scooby doo first instead of scrappy?

I liked him, but still allways wondered, why they made him so hyperactiv.

I always thought the hate for scrappy was like others have said because he introduced a change in dynamics but he also came in when they changed from guy in a mask to actual literal monsters. And that was just too much change at once.

I think the idea was for him to be the exact opposite of Scooby in every way.

>e621 has only eight images featuring him
>one of them is gore out of hate for the character
He can't catch a break

Why does the art style of this look like some seth mcfarlane enthusiest?