Why did the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles get so much traction and yet the Street Sharks did not...

Why did the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles get so much traction and yet the Street Sharks did not? Would you watch a new Street Sharks series?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1kthtkKM0oQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Look, I liked both as a kid, and still have my old Killermari and Moby Lick action figures, but Street Sharks was basically was another attempt at catching the same "animal hero team" set up the TMNT made popular, just like Biker Mice from Mars and The Mighty Ducks, and to sell said action figures. They also came in like.. damn, almost a decade after? It's like all the "monster collecting and training" games and what not after Pokemon came.

did street sharks ever got waifu material?

Or what every Hannah-Barbara cartoon following Scooby-Doo was to Scooby-Doo

Granted they kind of flooded the market with the anthropomorphic RADICAL team thing, but there was still fun potential to be had with the Street Sharks
This is also true, be they shark or buggy

What was the one where they had to hang upside down so they goo-ed back together, clearly to sell the toys?

it was a TMNT knock-off that hit too late.
I liked it alot as a kid though.

The humans turned into animals angle was cool. honestly, I could see a reboot that was focused on story/characters (as opposed to a toy commercial) working well

Never watched the show or had any toys, but these look freaking sick. Look at how HUGE and MEATY they are. They could eat your other pussy-ass action figures whole.

Street Sharks made their product placement shit way too obvious, the characters don't have good distinguishing characteristics (besides physical) and the plot was overall pretty boring.

They had a black scientist lady, that's about it

they make her white in the 2018 reboot

how would Sup Forums react?

because no movies or top tier arcade games from Konami like the turtles

maybe little ass kids saw the sharks as being scary despite being the good guys

Honestly Street Sharks is probably one of the few things I would welcome a gritty reboot for.

I hear that was also because executives would only greenlight something if it was literally described as 'scooby doo but with x'

Extreme dinosaur there

It was such an unmemorable show that some dude added a bunch of random bullshit to a wiki and made people think they remembered it happening.

Extreme Dinosaurs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Street Sharks

Because they were terrible fruitbooters. Put them on real skateboards and you would have had a better series. Fuck roller bladers and their faggotry. The only thing worse are peddle fags.

>Reminder that Vin Diesel was the one pitching/displaying the toyline at a Toy Fair 1994
youtube.com/watch?v=1kthtkKM0oQ

This video might be the only reason this series gets rebooted.
Jawsome!

I watched it as a kid but all I remembered of it was that I watched it.

Found a random episode online recently just to see what it was like, and I think it's safe to say it didn't catch on because it was never that good. Really shit, choppy animation, awkward pauses between lines, scenes dragging on forever, maybe other problems but I couldn't even finish the episode because on top of that it was boring. It's more memorable for the concept than the actual show.

I guess the title/concept is less lame than similar shows though, for whatever that's worth.

Well for one thing the action figures were really bad and much more expensive.

It had a fun premise with all the mutation threats, but was obviously just a vehicle for toys that didn't really try as hard as it should have to be something really memorable. For example, they imply that the father is still lurking around and becoming a sort of Patriarch to rejected mutants made by the mad doctor, yet we never get to see him in full, and he only showed up like once while being hinted at maybe twice at other times. Plus, the team wasn't really that distinct compared to the turtles, at least the main brothers, the rocker dude who gets mutated was a bit more memorable.

TMNT was around when Ninjas and Mutants were popular during the 80s and 90s, the fact it was also something sort of just happening naturally helped it stay ahead of the curve while everyone else was always one step behind trying to follow their footsteps.

I've seen a lot of revivals lately and I'm not really impressed or eager, so no.

I know cartoons like this were just made to sell toys, but like.

I miss when cartoons actually HAD toys. They're making a Netflix She-Ra series and I bet your fucking ass it won't have a single action figure despite being from THE "existing to sell action figures" FRANCHISE.

Having watched all of it plus Extreme Dinosaurs a couple montgs back... eh. It's really not special or unique. They didn't do anything with the stories to make them fun, aside from a couple cool one-offs like the episode where they infiltrate Russia and bump off Evil Overlord Gorbachev.

If any series gets revived, I'd like it to be one with some growth potential. C.O.P.S. or Toxic Avenger or what have you.

Yeah I loved the Street Sharks but they're set up wasn't worked, like their mode of transportation was basically chumping up the streets and making a mess of the roads. They needed better. However what was cool about them was how the show's success effected the toy line and they added some cool characters from the show straight into toys. That was weird and rare back in the early 90s.

I think Street Sharks have potential for a revival. Everyone's willing to give them a second chance since they're like a B-meme and they have positive nostalgia. Not to mention the character designs and villains especially are still cool doable. Dr. Piranha was Black Manta tier.

Yeah I had most of those. They were bad ass, I love them.

>They could eat your other pussy-ass action figures whole.

Man now I want to see this in Toy Story or something.

What if Extreme Dinosaurs were in the same universe and shared a show?

They-they did.

I recall there being just 11 episodes, so that didnt help

I wrote my dissertation on character archetypes and TMNT. I'm talking mostly about the comics and 2k3. I think the success of the 80s cartoon can be summed with with the theme song. But anyway.

I'm super high right now but I'm still going to try to explain.

TMNT, pretty much accidentally, established the Group of Four (+optional girl), and did it better than any piece of fiction I've seen since.

There were shows that came before it that shared elements of it, like Happy Days had Fonz (Raph) Richie (Donnie) as the main two, and Odd Couple had Felix (Donnie) and Oscar (Mikey), but never did a series have all four showcased equally like TMNT did.

Then we have the setting. They are brothers and loyal to each other, but they're also freaks and completely isolated from the world around them. At no point do any of the characters have any escape from each other. Any problem they have with one another HAS TO be resolved. The status quo problem that hits any series that last a long time can't happen here because they are literally stuck. Why can't Ross get over Rachel? It becomes a pointed question that you can't ignore. But Leo and Raph can keep fighting about the exact same shit because they literally don't have anything else.

They can't grow, they can't get (many) new friends, they only have each other. It's exactly what the readers want, it's constant tension/release. They don't care about anything more than each other, which is exactly what the readers care about.

TMNT is satisfying in a very ID-driven way and it has solid narrative blocks around it to keep it engaging. It's so perfect it only makes sense that it was the result of two assfucks messing around with pizza boxes and sharpies.

>pretty much accidentally, established the Group of Four
Uh, Three Musketeers. Who despite the name are 4 Musketeers.

>mfw this post

I could see a reboot working with a kind of Water World setting. The Sharks are engineered as part of a plot to prep humans for a new life in the vast waters, while either humanity seeks what little land may remain or a way to reduce the water levels. In any case, this would give the sharks more reason to swim around with their humanoid bodies most just being a convenience to be on land and trade blows with non-aquatic enemies. Could easily still have the underground mutant community as the rejects made by Dr. Piranhnoid and the father of the Sharks struggling to reintegrate into society as freaks who can't even survive the waters.

Mainly because Street Sharks were created for the sole purpose of competing with Ninja Turtles. Like Biker Mice from Mars extreme dinosaurs and all the humanoid animal characters they all had one thing in common with Ninja Turtles they were a specific animal, and they had a specific theme. So the toy corporations whom saw the success of the Ninja Turtles, use that formula of talking animal people Plus specific rebellious theme.
So natually they think hey this should work right? Well not so much, you can only copy an original idea for so long that the suits didn't know how to be creative with it.
Basically street sharks, and all the others were originally created to make toys and toys alone, where TMNT were created by accident as a joke and were give more thought into the idea.
Corp suits wanted to cut out the middle man of creativity to make a quick dollar, and it worked but never had lasting power.

Pretty much this. Capitalising on a trend.

I have to say though, Street sharks taught me about what sharks actually do in the wild, like them not being able to sit still.

D'Artagnan wasn't a musketeer until the very end of the novel, he was a member of the King's Guards.

show is made to sell toys
people complain
show doesn't have toys
people complain

damn if you do, damn if you don't.

Mummies Alive>>>>>>Extreme Dinosaurs>Street Sharks