Teenage Mischaracterized Ninja Turtles

youtube.com/watch?v=tJ08P6DInOg

So I'm watching this and they got Leonardo using phrases like "Dude" and "Bro." And he's even using nicknames like "Raph." It was pretty well established with the 2003 series by Peter Laird, and I imagine the comics, that Leonardo doesn't fucking talk that way. He's way more formal with his speech. Laid went out of his way to make sure the turtles had their own unique personalities and quirks and weren't interchangeable like with the original cartoon series. He looked over EVERY FUCKING SCRIPT. He was the one making sure nobody was out of character.

Now, I haven't watched the Nick show but it has me wondering, is the writing there as sloppy as hat's on display here? Or does it deserve the fanbase that it does? Peter didn't work on that show. Should I give it a shot? I'm having doubts.

Other urls found in this thread:

peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/blast-from-past-581-june-4-2002-re-fw.html
youtube.com/watch?v=B92kpjvBrJs
peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/blast-from-past-290-april-3-2004-re.html
youtube.com/watch?v=zLHtxRzu6KQ
peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/blast-from-past-389-mar-30-2004-re-tmnt.html
youtu.be/XmQ9hdvpO4g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Their personalities are still very distinct in the game, but the slang is probably universal. The TMNT have had numerous incarnations, so naturally things have been vastly different through the years.

>So I'm watching this and they got Leonardo using phrases like "Dude" and "Bro."
Oh yes, I was dissapointed by that one too. He doesn't even talk like that in IDW run.
>And he's even using nicknames like "Raph."
But he did call his brothers by short names in 2003 cartoon (rarely in Mirage).

Regarding the Nick cartoon: their personalities were changed a little bit^
>Leo was into sci-fi cartoon
>Mikey became an autist
>Donnie got some kind of anger issues
>Raph was meh, kinda useless
>God, you don't want to know what they did to Casey
>Shredder is also an austist
Then mix this with 80 cartoon nostalgia, plot holes and toilet humor and here you go - Nick cartoon.
But that's just my opinion. Other anons here praise the cartoon, so I guess you should give it a chance at least.

So he acts just like the 87 version?

Oh wow, catering to nostalgia. What a shock.

>but the slang is probably universa
No it's not. Raph hates it and Leo rarely does it. He's very formal. ESPECIALLY with their names. At least by 2003 standards.

I'm guessing whoever wrote their dialogue has never read a TMNT comic in their life

Mikey is the most embarrassing to listen to.

peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/blast-from-past-581-june-4-2002-re-fw.html

(Script notes from Laird)

RAPHAEL
>"When I find out who built those home-wreckin' robo-rats…"
I think Gary's correct in pointing out here the oddness of calling the Mousers "rats" when that is in fact what they hunt and what Splinter is. -- PL

2.) Pg. 5: Of the turtles, Don and Leo use the least slang. Thus, I think Don would say "What's the matter, Mikey" instead of "'smatter, Mikey?" "'smatter" sounds more Raph-like.

4.) Pgs. 7-8: At the bottom of page 7, in Splinter's line, "dissect" is misspelled as "disect". However, I really don't like this line of his or the following one on page 8... they don't sound Splinter-like to me. I would lose them.

6.) Pg. 16: The Shredder calls Stockman "Dr. Baxter".

12.) Pg. 28: "How'm I gonna" just sounds too slangy and "street" for April. She doesn't talk like Raph.

And on and on. And he did this for EVERY SCRIPT. Thank you based Laird.

Peter Laird was probably the only one giving a shit:

I see where you are going, but I think that this scenario -- without at least SOME tweak (I will shortly suggest at least one) -- is bringing us dangerously close to a place that I at least don't want to go. That is, let's set up our heroes in a situation from which -- given their abilities - - there is seemingly NO possible escape... and then have them show up later, unharmed, having escaped SOMEHOW (and we don't say how). To me, this opens up a HUGE can of worms and opens the door for really poor writing (or at least plotting), leading to situations of ludicrous peril easily escaped -- and thus making ANY peril meaningless.

Consider: Touch and Go throw Mikey and Splinter onto the train tracks just before the train "zooms through the station". One would reasonably assume that after Touch and Go throw our heroes onto the tracks -- but BEFORE the train zooms through -- they STAND there and WATCH the train run into/over our heroes, to make sure that they did in fact do their jobs and Mikey and Splinter didn't just jump out of the way and scurry off into a drain pipe or something. It would make NO sense for them to just turn away and ASSUME that the train crushed them.

Part of this problem is timing. How long are Mike and Splinter on the tracks before the train zooms by? One second? Three? Five? If the interval is too short, then there really IS no escape -- the train would just flatten them before they have a chance to do anything. And if it's too long, the audience will think "Well, of COURSE they can escape!"

And think about this -- just being pushed off the platform and onto the tracks (a drop of what, maybe ten feet at most?) would not likely faze ninja fighters like Mike and Splinter, and Touch and Go would KNOW this, having already seen them in action. So they would DOUBLY want some assurance that the train did them in, and thus would, as I said earlier, likely watch as the train ran them over.

Based Laird:

> I'm starting to get an "icky" feeling whenever I see one of these "Leo's girlfriend" lines from Raph. Just to check that we're all on the same page here -- contrary to what some TMNT fans might fantasize, Turtles don't mate/have love affairs with humans. Right? Why don't we have him just say "Leo's pal" or "Leo's buddy" instead?

>This tmnt thread turns into Peter Laird appreciation thread.
Please, continue

>Fred Wolf Moment

Oh my God, if you go through his blog where he posts his script notes it's amazing. It's a master class in great writing. He has such an eye for detail. And details fucking MATTER.

He took the show very seriously, even though it just existed to sell toys. And then you read this stuff and it's so obvious the writers didn't care.

>2.) The planet-wide power outage is, I think, too much. It gives the Triceratons too much of an edge (i.e. if they are able to cause a total power outage across the planet at will, then NO weapons on Earth will function (at least those that depend on electrical power to make them work, which is pretty much all of the "big guns", including nuclear missiles). End of story of Earth resistance! Also, my understanding of the way that EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) works is that the pulse of energy actually DESTROYS -- literally melts -- delicate electronics... so that there would really be no way for the EMP to have "worn off" and electronic things start working again.

Oh, yes, I was also looking through his blog once I found it. It was pretty cool to see the way he cared to much about the cartoon.
Reading his posts, I felt like we shared a lot of opinions. That's why I like him.
Also was one of the best things I found on his blog. I really hate it when writes pair up the turtles with human girls (actually, anyone, really).

4.) Re: the following:

> "When the Shredder enters, he uses his knife arm guard to threaten Splinter. It looks like Splinter’s time on earth is up …
The Shredder holds Splinter and shouts for the others to stop fighting. Everyone stops and stares at the Shredder."

This IS the same Splinter who has kicked the Shredder's ass before, right? It seems very lame that the Shredder could just walk up and "threaten" Splinters with his "knife arm guard" and that's enough to render Splinter helpless. And if the Shredder wants to do something to prove that he is on the Turtles' side, threatening their Sensei with bodily harm seems like a REALLY stupid way to do it.

I would throw all of this Splinter/Shredder stuff out, and instead have the Shredder do something constructive to help convince the Turtles that he is sincere -- like helping to stop Leatherhead's murderous rage against Stockman. Or better yet, have Stockman getting the better of Leatherhead (through some techno weapons or something), and the Shredder saves Leatherhead's life.

You should probably check sources other than 2003, it's not uncommon for Leo to use their nicknames.

It feels so wrong after 2003 is what I'm saying I guess. Like, he grounded them so fucking much! This injustice shit is DEFINITELY all over the place tho. You can't argue that.

2003 was 15 years ago dude, things change.

Welp. He tried:

6.) Re: the following:

>Bishop wheels the interrogation table containing the Fugitoid toward the silhouetted figure, who slowly steps into the light, revealing himself to be GENERAL BLANQUE, now sporting a long battle scar, which runs down the side of his face!

Snore... really, does EVERY bad guy have to get a facial scar? I think this is unnecessary and rapidly becoming a silly cliche.

So every turtle should act identically. Okay.

I remember there was those short interviews with Peter from DVD sets. There was also an interview between him and Stan Sakai

>Also was one of the best things I found on his blog. I really hate it when writes pair up the turtles with human girls (actually, anyone, really).

This is spot on. Most recently in IDW the whole Raphael and Alopex romance feels very bad. It does neither character a favor (especially Alopex). And to a degree it's creepier in IDW. In IDW TMNT Raphael, along with his brothers, is a former human. So he's essentially what every furry or I guess "scaly" has fantasized. To abandon humanity physically and transform into a non-human animal thing, this case a scaly reptile turtle, who has sexual attraction to other non-humans whether they be reptiles or mammals. TMNT and romance has always been garbage, but IDW made it worse.

>is the writing there as sloppy as hat's on display here? Or does it deserve the fanbase that it does? Peter didn't work on that show. Should I give it a shot? I'm having doubts.

If you're this autistic about Leo and Raph saying "dude" then the Nick cartoon would give you a fucking brain aneurysm.

FUCKING WB

Thank god they won't be around by this time next year

>Raph and Alopex
Yeah, I didn't really feel any chemistry between those two. Maybe because it was obvious since post City Fall arc that they would be together eventually, so I started to hate the idea since then.

But, man, you wouldn't want to know what they did with Raph and Mona Lisa in Nick's series. It was really fucking cringy.

Peter Laird's input on the 2003 series is super underrated. Any time there was a continuity gaffe/plot hole/out-of-character moment in the 2012 series (and there were a ton of them), I would think to myself, "Laird would have caught that".

NRS doesn't give two shits about that series.

The only thing they took inspiration from was the live action movies, the 80's cartoons, and the video game turtles in time.

That's it.
None of that matters though because the game sucks dog shit, and thankfully is finally complete and dead and we can get Mortal Kombat 11 sooner then later.

Fucking Injustice bullshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=B92kpjvBrJs

This banter is high quality OP. You're seriously writing it off because Leo calls his brother "bro"?

Dude I saw that series. That romance you mentioned with Mona Lisa was also trash. But at least in that incarnation Raph is very much just a mutated animal and his love interest at least is amphibian.

But the Raph Alopex one is trule bad. What it does is simply reduce Alopex to being Raph's cock holster and it doesn't help that a talentless transsexual has essentially taken over how Alopex should be (and this transsexual is the one mostly pushing for the romance compared to the other writers). So if Alopex isn't portrayed as constantly leaning her head on Raph or touching/carrying his arm, she's also a scatter brained ditz. Terrible, just terrible. And the new current TMNT Universe arc with Raph and Alopex just feels like a Save Face attempt by the writers saying:

"Look we can totally write these two characters without any cringy romance undertones"

But we know as soon as another writer, especially Transsexual Campbell, takes over the shipping trash will re-spark.

Why is the 2003 series a meme?

this thread is fucking retarded

>This banter is high quality OP
get better taste

I want Laird to write for the MCU. Actually, MCU doesn't need it and I don't mind the humor. (I don't!) He should write DCU films:

2.) Re: the following:

>"Or picture a turtle roll-call sequence. As their names are called out, each turtle leaps forward and spectacularly executes his “signature” ninja move with their “signature” ninja weapon! But as Michelangelo flips forward, he over rotates and winds up landing in a heap next to his battle-ready brothers! At which point, the other three, heroically posed and trying not to lose their composure, begin to chuckle and rag on their fallen brother! “Aw man!” “Dude, yer makin’ us look weak!” “Ya gotta stick those landings Mikey!”"

This kind of thing will get old VERY quickly, especially once you consider that we've had five seasons during which the Turtles have demonstrated over and over again that they are highly proficient martial artists. For them -- even just Mikey -- to suddenly turn into bumbling, inept goofballs is just silly.

I haven't read the new Universe issue yet. Is it at least berable?

It's readable enough, but it has it's flaws like Raphael despite his experience being unable to realize a facility has security cameras so Alopex needed to shield him from being spotted because Raph is too dumb to be sneaky even though the previous issues show Raph being stealthy plenty of times.

Also they attempted to give Alopex depth, but well just read the picture here. Alopex responds to this laughter with cartoonish anger about wanting to kill the scorpion woman. So whatever "depth" the writer was going for Alopex was immediately undone.

I could read this blog forever:

peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/blast-from-past-290-april-3-2004-re.html

...However, I think I could make a persuasive argument that one of the reasons that I DON'T get sent a lot of crap is that I have demonstrated from day one that I will not ACCEPT what I see as crap. I wouldn't accept Chuck Patton wanting to put points on the backs of the Turtles' heads, and I wouldn't accept some writer's idea to have a Turtle get his shell pushed in and then stick his thumb in his mouth and blow on it and thus expand his shell again, and so on. I credit you greatly with seeing that very quickly and probably doing a lot more filtering of material before it gets sent to me than I am aware of. I also credit you with a lot of good ideas and an excellent "feel" for the Turtles which was good to begin with and gets better as we go along.

>I wouldn't accept some writer's idea to have a Turtle get his shell pushed in and then stick his thumb in his mouth and blow on it and thus expand his shell again, and so on.

"Ever got your shelled pushed in?"
youtube.com/watch?v=zLHtxRzu6KQ

peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/blast-from-past-389-mar-30-2004-re-tmnt.html

I have said many times that the only way I will accept the discovery and invasion of the Turtles' lair as a part of a story is if that story is GREAT and there is a GREAT reason for the reveal of the Turtles' secret home. This story doesn't even come close.

>"Bishop scoffs at the groaning turtles. He’s not even going to bother to finish them off he thinks so little of them. "

Could this BE any sillier? At the very LEAST he would kill them to keep them from coming after him... after all, he SHOULD have learned from their previous encounters that they are resilient and resourceful. But no, for the sake of a RIDICULOUS "macho pose" moment, we'll have Bishop act like a COMPLETE FOOL.

>Meanwhile, the turtles, LeatherHead and Honeycutt are barreling down the subway tunnels on target and soon … The turtles, LeatherHead and Honeycutt burst (literally) into Bishop’s base where they’re holding Splinter.

>Bishop is surprised to see them. And, he’s even more surprised to see his train car. "

- And he's not the only one! What an amazing subway car this is -- somehow able to maneuver all over the place, switching tracks, etc. Incredible!
And the Turtles and Leatherhead smashing Bishop's subway car through the wall of his secret base lab -- brilliant! Why use stealth? Or intelligence? Or strategy? Let's just slam into a wall and hope we don't DIE so we can MAYBE find Bishop and fight him? (And hope he doesn't remember to "let himself go"!)

>And he's even using nicknames like "Raph."
What? He calls him Raph in lots of incarnations even the '03 one. Especially Mikey

The best part of the post was also this:

For (hopefully) the last time...

... TURTLES ARE NOT AMPHIBIANS!!! THEY ARE REPTILES!
REPTILES!!
REPTILES!!!
Jesus freakin' Christ...

I am more mad that they do not let you switch turtles mid match, would that have been so hard. Stance switching is a thing and they share almost every move why not do it,

>but they each have a unique trait
they can still do that, leo trait can be done with QCF to call raph, qcb to call mikey, and just pressing trait to summon donnie. But have turtle switching be something like forward and trait switches out for raph etc.

A true tmnt fan would try his best to enjoy it before throwing a fit. You're that punk bitch Danny.

What do you think Peter Laird would say about this? He would have a fit. compared to him I'm calm AF. I wanted to enjoy it but the way Leo speaks and all the turtles in general throw me out of it. It'd be like Splinter saying, "My niggas" instead of "My sons."

Are you saying that a"true fan" should force themselves to enjoy something that they don't like?
Doesn't work like that, buddy

Jesus, he sounds like a complete autist who's entirely right and whom I can bring myself to respect.

Force? No, no my boy. Try. You too young to appreciate hammy turtles? Let go of the darkness, young one.

>I'm guessing whoever wrote Injustice has never read any comic in their life
FTFY

Try to understand that Eastman and Laird were a pair of mid-grade schmucks who got some success with their parody of Ronin and have been milking it for more than 30 years now.
It's not like either of them are good writers or artists. Eastman's work in Heavy Metal is fucken embarrassing mummy issues and manchild shit.
Sup Forums is plagued by people expecting quality from people who have had success, the two were separated decades ago.

>Virgin Eastman likes Venus
>Chad Laird recognizes what a shitty character she is hates her with a passion
Based.

Question, what other special guests should appear on Injustice in the last Character Pack?

I have no fucking clue at this point. I'm not sure there's anything that can top the sheer ridiculousness of tmnt. Spawn seems like a likely one. Other than that? No clue.

Wait casey jones is my favorite character from tmnt. What did they do to him?

>and have been milking it for more than 30 years now.

Uh, what?

>Last character pack
What? I thought this was the last one. Source?

He became a degenerate, basically. And it's much worse than Mikey's and Shredder's autism combined, believe me. I absolutely hated him in that vesion.

Hey. You. Quit bein' gay.

We managed to go 30 years without GENWUNNER brant autism in the TMNT fandom. And of all the things to get it, it's the fucking 4kids version.

is 2012 a good show to start on ninja turtles? I've havent seen much of the franchise outside of maybe seeing the 4kids version a long time ago

They make 5 billions per year with DC alone so yeah cry more, they aren't going anywhere ladderbro

I wish they were in Mortal Kombat instead.

Makes more sense to have Shredder for MK

Is a gay orgy going on in that pic?

Yes.

they're the movie turtles you spooge

Would Shredder or Splinter work as a skin for Robin?

>GENWUNNER brant autism

I don't hang out here enough to know what that means.

Why don't you watch the video?

And water is wet. What's your point?

OP is mixing canons movie turtles are not the 2003 turtles, not even close.

Wew. Just watched the Joker vs Ninja Turtle intros and they were lame as fuck. I expected funnier.

I get that they LOOK like movie Turtles but I figured 2003 pretty much grounded their personalities forever.

>2003 grounded their personalities forever
Are you retarded?

This would unironically be a good pick

Nah.

>Turtles beat Brainiac WITHOUT the super pill
>Harley gives them a pizza with the super pill on it and sends them back to their universe
>They beat the fuck out of Krang

I love the arcade endings for the non-canon characters

>I'm guessing WB sucks and Capcom & Disney are the best things ever.
>Screams THE MOUSE ALWAYS WINS autistically.

>muh console wars
Back to Sup Forums with you, autist

It's based on the movie turtles with a little tiny bit of the other shit mixed in

Can't you tell by the designs? In the movies they all acted identical aside from Raph, who was mean

>Can't you tell by the designs?

People are just fishing me for (you)s at this point, right? Who DOESN'T know they're the movie turtles in APPEARANCE?

That wasn't the point I was making.

Nice, they fixed the yellow smudge on their throats.

It's a good take on the turtles, not perfect but pretty great.

Also, brown pads>colored pads.

They all called each other dude and bro in the 80’s cartoon and the movies.

each canon is different

>It's an "Your opponent lets the intros play out and someone's Enchantress" episode

About time. I prefer MK over injustice.

I kinda want to see this. How would an American do Jotaro.

GENWUNNER is a reference to Transformers, where you have a hyper-autistic and obsessive section of the fandom that likes the first generation 80s cartoon/toy run and anything after that is shit and garbage and they will explain why at length until you want to commit genocide.
They're basically like Melee players times a thousand.

brant is a typo of brand.

Well injustice's button layout pretty much allows for completely copy pasting his moves from Heritage for the Future or All Star Battle if they wanted to. All are 4 button games.

Okay. I didn't mean to come across as a sonic fanboy or Geno (Super Mario RPG) fag. I honestly just wanted to talk about Peter Laird behind-the-scenes antics. This thread is the most energy I've spent on this topic since the nick show.

If other people are putting energy into this this full-time I have nothing to do with that.

But yo, what's wrong with wanting a well-written show? And if I had to guess I would think Beast Wars was the series with the Die Hard audience. No? I keep hearing it also had a great story. Never watched. That show was so fucking ugly.

>1p and 2P pick a turtle each
>Any time this attack happens.

So is this the Fred Wolf turtles vs. the movie turtles? There's like 8 niggas fighting at once!

>he plays fighting games for the plot

youtu.be/XmQ9hdvpO4g

The 1990 movie is the best place to start. It's kinda compatible with the original comics, the 1987 cartoon, the 2003 cartoon AND the version in Injustice 2.

Makes sense, yes

>Can't you tell by the designs? In the movies they all acted identical aside from Raph, who was mean
I thought Leo was still serious and Donnie and Mike kept joking together.

>I really hate it when writes pair up the turtles with human girls (actually, anyone, really).
Lair gave Mike a dino girlfriend in v4, though, and it went way, WAY worse for them than any romance done in any versions. It's one of the first things about v4 that I remember and cringe about every time.

>my problem's with frogs.
that's not bad

2012 Casey a cute. You need better taste. And he's always been a piece of street rubbish. Surely you don't think he was supposed to be an upstanding lawman like in the 2016 movie? Especially if they turn him into an actual teenager?

2012 Michaelangelo, though.... wew. He's literally Beast Boi from TTG if he turned into a mutant tortoise.

Is no one going to talk about how ridiculous this image is? The second Don looks like he's blowing his load. I was laughing for 2 minutes at this image before I kept looking and my smile faded to dusgusted.
>Knee and elbow pads match their masks
>they don't have their weapons
>they have teeth
>turtles have toenails for some reason
>toenails look like they're painted
>3/4 turtles are spotted but leo is pure green

It was a mistake making Casey and April teenagers to begin with

They have nails and teeth in the 1990 movie.

>Knee and elbow pads match their masks
Is that an issue? It's mostly only seen in this super with the other 3 turtles you're not playing
>They don't have weapons
Again, its the super move, and I'd imagine the clipping would look really fucking weird during the shellshock with Donnie/Leo's weapons strapped to their backs
>Toenails
Not the first time we've seen this, check the movies
>3/4 of the turtles are spotted but leo is green
Get your eyes checked, he's spotted too