What's the best X-Men story of all time?

What's the best X-Men story of all time?

The one yet to be written.

Dark Phoenix

God Loves, Man Kills

Like actual X-men book or of the X family
X-men book it's either or Broodfall
Of all the X families it's either Apocalypse Solution or The Longest Night.

Really want flavor you like effects a lot of things too.

"Bobby, you're gay"

Illyana's Death

God Loves Man Kills

I also have a soft spot for “I, Magneto” and Asgardian Wars but wouldn’t call them the best

Dark Angel Saga

Brood Saga. #156 - #167. fight me.

I'm an X-casual but this is stuff I've bought/plan on buying:
>X-Men Legacy by Spurrier
>Weapon X: Days of Future Now
>Secret Invasion: X-Men
>X4
>Morrison's New X-Men cutting off before Weapon Plus/Xorneto arc

Proteus saga

This

Outback

>I don't actually have anything to add so I'll just regurgitate an outdated Sup Forums meme

>outdated Sup Forums meme
I don't think you understand what any of those words mean except for "meme".

His nigga right here knows what's up.

Age of Apocalypse (the 1995 crossover event)

Days of the Future Past

I mean that's literally what you're doing, you can pretend to retort with "le epic bantz" but it's still n almost 3-year old meme that only Sup Forums cares about, because they're casuals.

I'll still always like the Demon Bear story.

I wish they had Cosmic Marvel adventures again.

X-cutioner's Song or Age of Apocalypse for me.

Maybe Fall of the Mutants too.

Dark Leprechaun Saga (#101-#103)

"All-new, all-different" without the originals' remnants was the best team.

Fatal Attractions. It has
>Burial of Illyana
>Return of Magneto in a major way
>Magneto creating a world wipe EMP with cataclysmic consequences
>Xavier wiping Magneto's mind
>Colossus leaving the X-men and joining the Acolytes
>Wolverine losing his adamantium

Has good art, major status quo shake ups, very striking escalation of the Magneto/Xavier ideology conflict, etc. Plus it's the best 90s summer crossover for the X-books.

the Wolverine scene scared me as a kid

what's that one where they all die?

I'd agree if it hadn't produced two insufferably shitty things

>JEAAAAN
>more Phoenix stories

>what's that one where they all die?
All of them

I like the first Genosha story that happened right before Inferno. That shit was good.

This was a stupid story. Early Claremont is unreadable until the Shi'ar came in.

>annoying faggots Cyke and Chuck out
>the best X-men Banshee takes the center stage
>team interactions are just charming
>leprechauns help
>main villain is friggin' Black Tom
>last fight is Axe vs Sword
>somehow story is unreadable
Edgelord.

The Mystery of Xavier's Chair Color

All pretty bad to be honest.

>Latino Iceman

>best X-men Banshee
You lost all credibility after that

fuck off with that over rated shit. It's ok but not even in the top 5 X-men stories
winner

which time? Magik's story in Inferno is fantastic

It's my favorite, but I wouldn't call it the best.

"From the Ashes" i.e. Paul Smith run

"Showdown" i.e. The Battle against Magneto in Antarctica.

The build-up to this with the X-Men being beaten by Magneto and held captive, their humiliation under Nanny, and their escape with Storm using her childhood thief skills. Then the execution of the fight directed by Cyclops with great moments for all the characters.

There is no better story. It's peak Claremont/Byrne against the X-men's most iconic villain.

Good but too preachy for my taste

This.

Days of Future Past is also acceptable.

Honorable mention to AoA, personal favorite.

Dark Phoenix Saga

Maybe I'm just weird but I always thought this story was just ok. Claremont had way better stories during his run.
This is pretty high up for me. It has a bunch of fun moments.
No.
It's good but it's not the best out of the Claremont stories.
This marked the beginning of the end for Claremont. It wasn't very good and everything that came after was worse.
AoA is overrated as fuck. DoFP is good, Fall of the Mutants is pretty forgettable for being such a status changer.
Fun.
Eh...The original Pheonix story is better and even the leadup to Dark Phoenix with the Hellfire club is better than the actual Dark Phoenix saga.
Inferno was terrible and convoluted.
Weirdly, this is probably my favorite X-men story. It's only like 3 issues but tt showcases each character's personality and powerset beautifully and Magneto is never this formidable again. It's everything great about the X-men in 3 issues.

>convoluted
Inferno is really god damn straight forward for a crossover. Hell, it's more straight forward than most of Claremonts Uncanny X-men stories

>mass reply sperg strikes again

There's always gotta be one of you that thinks we need one man's laundry list opinion.

It involves the clone of Jean Grey, Multiple dimensions, the Transmode virus, Time travel, and every major Marvel team plus Powerpack. It's convoluted as hell.

having multiple things going on isn't convoluted if everything is properly executed. I read it in the collected trade and it's perfectly simple to follow everything.

I don't mind posters
They usually keep the thread alive and there's room for debate.

>Clones, Time Travel, and Multiple Dimensions
>straight forward
pick one

It was also across at least 15 titles.

>Uncanny
>X-Factor
>New Mutants
>X-terminators
Nothing else mattered

>Fall of the Mutants is pretty forgettable for being such a status changer.
The X-Factor part of Fall of the Mutants is good. The rest was just ok

It was only made because they couldn't figure out what to do with Madelyne Prior.

According to Claremont:
"Then unfortunately, Jean was resurrected, Scott dumps his wife and kid and goes back to the old girlfriend. So it not only destroys Scott’s character as a hero and as a decent human being it creates an untenable structural situation: what do we do with Madelyne and the kid? … So ultimately the resolution was: turn her into the Goblin Queen and kill her off”

Also having to Ignore 11 titles to make the story make sense means it was convoluted to begin with.

I'd agree with that. The Apocalypse and Archangel stuff was sweet. The Uncanny stuff was terrible though. The New mutants part was ok but forgettable although weird purple M Magneto was gone after that so that's a plus.

>Also having to Ignore 11 titles to make the story make sense means it was convoluted to begin with.
no one is forcing you to read books that don't matter. none of the collections include ANY of those books. The only two writers writing the event were Claremont and Simonson, no other writer actually planned the event.

Yes, blame Busiek for bringing Jean back and forcing Claremont to write Maddy out. it was still well written

Messiah Complex

>Have a fuckup
>Don't know how to deal with the fuckup
>Make the fuckup a company wide event

I didn't really remember Inferno but that's Onslaught-level terrible.

Green Goblin vs Hobgoblin is pure X-Men kino

Dude, Inferno was not good. Claremont was clearly spent by that point.

>It was only made because they couldn't figure out what to do with Madelyne Prior.
Well Inferno is actually the culmination of a long running New Mutant's plot. They just shoe horned the Madelyne/Sinister stuff to resolve it once and for all.
Ironically that's the most interesting part of the crossover

>Well Inferno is actually the culmination of a long running New Mutant's plot.

No? But I think I get your point that it was the payoff of the demonic Limbo dimension stuff with Magik.

At the end of the day Inferno still had the Goblin Queen/Sinister stuff in it plus all the crossover shit.

Demogoblin is pure 90's

Busiek didnt bring Jean back. Claremont did turn Madelyne into a psycho bitch.

Busiek was the one who wrote to Marvel editorial and told them to have Jean in a cocoon at the bottom of the lake and have the Pheonix be a cloned body

i thought he was like an intern and shared the idea

this or He'll Never Make Me Cry

He came up with the idea but it was an editorial decision to bring Jean back and kickstart X-Factor. He did not write any of the comics

I like that crazy mid 80's sword and sorcery stuff so I vote for that two parter where the Conan villain transforms NYC into a Conan city

never fan of magic in x-men

Claremont disagrees cause he throws that shit in whenever possible

I loved this story with Kulan Gath. It's goofy that Spider-man gets the most heroic moment when he literally tears himself off a crucifix in an attempt to stop the bad guy. It's "Spider-man lifts heavy things" levels of great.

>blaming based Busiek for this atrocity

Disgusting.

>God Loves, Man Kills

Based

Voiced by a Japanese guy.

>using the term "holocaust" to describe the fall of Magneto

Poetry

AoA isn't overrated.
first of all it's massive.
And many of it's books, which are 4 issues long minis, are excellent. Especially Generation Next, X-Universe, and Factor-X.

Did they even come up with the backstory at that point?

>X-Universe
>Generation Next
Honestly, those were the only good parts

Whedon run was ok, it made me like Scott even more.

well you just have shit taste. I bet you hate cosmic X-men too

Whedon really put Cyclops on the map and made him a great character.

kino

The one where a Tolkien sperg gets turned into a pterodactyl and names himself after a Lord of the Rings character.

Pleb filter

any new mutants story, xmen is just constantly depressing. new mutants has some fucking levity in it

i wish they had permanently fixed his eye problem. cyclops is super sexy without glasses

This

>Eh...The original Pheonix story is better and even the leadup to Dark Phoenix with the Hellfire club is better than the actual Dark Phoenix saga.
I was gonna say both, but I thought that'd be cheating.

What's the Sup Forumsnsensus on End of Greys? I was looking into Rachel Summers and then I ran into that depressing shit.

I wish he was alive

Bucky fans waited 40 years, be patient.

>Bucky fans
They existed prior to Bru!Cap?

Brutal. Fucking Claremont loves killing off anyone Jean loves. All her family and relatives and everyone slightly related was instantly murdered just because Rachel was mistaken for Pheonix.

I agree.

Morphcentric episodes; specifically the one where he morphs for the last time.

Magik rarely actually uses magic though, and when she does it's retarded. She should just stick to teleporting and being a demonwhore.

Exiles

Wolverine in Japan is probably my favorite. Fucking Mastermind, man. What a dick.

I'd say Phoenix Saga/Dark Phoenix Saga is some of the best stuff even if it did introduce some awful shit. Brood Saga is dope as well.

Paralympic Gold