Will Trump's $1 billion in infrastructure spending get us a neat-o nation-wide magnetic bullet train system?

Will Trump's $1 billion in infrastructure spending get us a neat-o nation-wide magnetic bullet train system?

Would this be a good idea?

>graffiti on one side of the wall and train

>Will Trump's $1 billion in infrastructure spending get us a neat-o nation-wide magnetic bullet train system?

No, because that's impracticable

>Would this be a good idea?

See first answer^^^^^

/thread/

Niggers ruin everything

t. Oakland 16th Street Station

If it's as nice as the light rail in Seattle I'm all for it.

1 trillion you mean?

Only if it will get me from Seattle to Chicago in less than 48 hours of reasonable comfort in a private cabin for less than 300 dollars.

Hyperloop kgo

no if it's not a private bussiness/investment

Is solar energy bad? yes due to gov grants, priviledges and handicaps to cheaper alternatives

public stuff is always deficitary
no private (natural) economic incentives

>he thinks it would be as cheap as $1Bn
L M A O

serious question.. why not hyper loop?

yes, sry

It's 1000 Billion not one billion

>bullet train
Literally why? no one would use it.

They are basically moneysinks for countries to spend a lot on nothing

I travel by car because planes suck and trains in the USA are for cargo, not people

I would love to chill in a cheap cabin and relax instead of drive 12+ hours a day to get where I'm going

No. Trains in America are a retarded idea because there's not a public transport solution to support it. AND it would be fucking expensive.

Think about it like this.

I live in San Diego, I want to go to san francisco today. I could:

Drive for $80, and it would take 8 hours

Fly for $100 it would take 45 minutes (not including check in and security

Or take a fucking train that takes 26 HOURS and costs a minimum of $300!

How fucking expensive do you think a bullet train will be?

$600 maybe? And it would take close to 5 hours to get there? Then when you get there, theres no public transport to get you around without a car or renting a car, making it even more expensive and time consuming

It's nothing but a novelty in our country. And just imagine taking that train half way across the country, it would take WAYY more time and be WAY more expensive and probably way more dangerous than flying. No thanks hippy liberals

An airplane will do it in like 4 or 5 hours, I forget how long exactly because of the time changes.

Things like trains and hyper loops are idiotic here. Taking planes is much faster than an airplane, and cheaper. There is no benefit to taking the train because it's slower and more expensive.

Hyper loop might be faster, but it will be expensive as fuck

I think they should spend money on supersonic airliners personally. It will lower the cost of normal plane tickets and create faster travel around the world

>dangerous
Cars kill more people than any other transport in the US, cagecuck. Trains are expensive because regulations that prevent them from being competitive

What? They're used extensively wherever they are, like Japan, Europe, and China.

It would be useful as fuck.

you mean 70 dollars for the train, or less

I hate flying. Cramped seats, piles of lost time checking in and out, and inconvenient locations.

1 billion is chump change. 1 billion isn't enough for most cities in our country. 1 billion would do jack shit. high speed rail would cost trillions of dollars to build across our nation.

Before it was reclaimed by the wild I bet that station looked magnificent.

trains are gay.

suck a dick autist.

>hurr thinks that work great in other countries wouldnt work in america because reasons
Fuck off. The east coast could easily get hyper loop

>Will Trump's $1 billion in infrastructure spending get us a neat-o nation-wide magnetic bullet train system?

no. it will give us toll roads owned and operated by private corporations, funded with taxpayer dollars, which you will have to pay to access.

besides that, $1b is nothing. it will have absolutely zero impact on the economy.

Trains are expensive because no one uses them because they take so fucking long. In Italy, Japan, and China they're cheap as fuck and fast. The only one that a lot of people us in the US is the one on the eastern coast.

more like

1 billion is trump change

No because this country is so huge and spread out a neato bullet train would be impractical.

Cagers are gay. Domt hate something just because (now obsolete) pre trump republicans tell you to

>Or take a fucking train that takes 26 HOURS and costs a minimum of $300!

umm yes, that's the current problem, thank you for describing it

Trains are more dangerous than airplanes, not talking about cars.

>Trains are expensive because regulations that prevent them from being competitive

Can you show me a regulation you're talking about?

Still will never use a train as a serious form of transport, because public transport is non existant in other areas. If I wanted to get to a train from where I'm sitting right now. It would take me an hour and a half, cost over $100, then when I get where I'm going, I would have to spend even more money on getting where I'm going. Meanwhile, I could drive the whole way for cheaper and probably the same amount of time

Regionally we could though. The east coast and upper midwest to chicago would benifit from a bullet train system

It's quicker to get a train than drive here. Are your trains very slow or do they travel winding routes?
I hate getting the train though

High speed rail with the ability to haul cars would be the only reasonable solution.

Drive to the train station, load your car, go to the passenger compartment. Train across the nation at 300km/hr get to the other end, have your car with you.

>If I wanted to get to a train from where I'm sitting right now. It would take me an hour and a half, cost over $100, then when I get where I'm going, I would have to spend even more money on getting where I'm going.
Thats the problem and we need a solution

Pic related is what it would look like.

our trains are for cargo, the lines are set up for cargo, and passenger trains are subservient to cargo

Big cities like Chicago which I live by have a huge problem. Faster trains setup well would allow people to live farther away but still work in the city. They would help with property as well since it is now over priced as fuck with everyone needing to live in small areas.

And fuck I want room for a garden maybe even one of the small greenhouses. I grew up with lot sized gardens and want at least something small.

Please trump. The expressways into the cirty are already at capacity and have no room to expand.

There's a reason the free market does not produce passenger trains. They are not cost effective compared to air travel for long distances or automobiles for short. Let's not waste taxpayer money on this nonsense

1 TRILLION* is the proposed amount

The green and light blue would suffice

most of these lines would be economic black holes.

the northeast and western coasts are the only areas in the country that would benefit from high speed rail

Hyperloop is on its way and is better.

you could live in kalamazoo mich. for cheap af and commute into chicago in under an hour

Chicago would be great. From the suburbs to the lake. That plus uber would get everyone to work. Hell buses might be useful again.

HEY GUYS WHAT IF WE MADE TRAINS BUT LIKE, INSTEAD OF TRAIN WHEELS THEY HAD REGULAR WHEELS AND WENT ON THE ROAD

OPs question was about a transcontinental high speed rail, not regional routes

Those are the ones I want though, at least first. Maybe the rest can come later. The whole point is that it would be built in stages.

>you mean 70 dollars for the train, or less
Look at the pic related in that post. over $300. It's fucking expensive. It costs over $60 just to go 45 minutes from San Diego up to Orange county. It's dumb

HA! Good luck with eminent domain! Like I said. Airplanes are faster and cheaper.

That's a huge problem. Because it's like the grocery store problem: Do you buy the groceries first or open the store first? You have to do it all at once.

You need to fix: Public Transport, slow trains, regulations, and then somehow convince millions of people to ride these slow expensive machines to bring the costs down.

It just won't work in America, because our cities were designed without it. Europe built their cities to work around trains, and public transport, so that's how the layouts of the cities naturally developed. The US was built around owning your own car.

If you haven't been in Southern california, you have no fucking clue how expensive a stupid bullet train will be. If they tried to build a track from San Diego to San francisco, they would literally have to build through 60 miles of heavily developed Riverside. THEN destroy hundreds of miles of crops in the central valley. And still, it would be inconvenient for me to get to and from the train stations.

Just take a fucking plane

Most of this is garbage. High speed trains are significantly faster, cheaper and more convenient than cars.
They are only beat in speed by airplanes.

Unfortunately you are 100% correct in regards to the US having none of the supporting infrastructure, such as good public transport. So yeah, that basically kills the whole thing with little prospects of improving in the foreseeable future.

It did

>1 TRILLION* is the proposed amount
>1 TRILLION* is the proposed amount

us won`t have normal infrastructure in 21st century

Doesn't California have a plan for it already? It's under construction.

Chris Matthews in MSNBC said this would be a way to bring the country together. Coastal elites have to ride through flyover country. Flyover country would be plugged into the coasts. Seems like a neat idea, to me

One word:

SECRET UNDERGROUND HYPER FAST BULLET TRAINS

open them up to the public

$1T to pay private corporations to build toll roads that will make your commute less expensive

>pay taxes
>tax dollars go to private business
>private business uses your tax dollars to charge you fees for using things they built

this sort of rent-seeking garbage should not be supported by anyone. we're already nickel and dimed through gas taxes to fund roads, this will only hurt the working and middle class more as toll roads have zero impact on the consumption of the wealthy.

in theory, wouldn't you try to use existing amtrak routes?

The air lobby strangles passenger trains, not the free market.

why is Germany, japan and china so into them?

into what? toll roads? i'm not sure what you're asking.

They travel pretty slow. In San Diego, there's one train line that goes from here up to LA. it goes like 70mph, the cars travel fucking 80mph. I've passed trains on the highway going up there before (granted, they don't have to deal with traffic). They're just not fast, and the highways are like 10 lanes wide and fast moving if it's not rush hour.

>Thats the problem and we need a solution

I can tell you from where I'm currently sitting, in the foothills of San Diego, it' just not going to happen for the majority of these areas with mountains. It's highly developed, with ZERO land available to build adjacent to the highways, and that still wouldn't be enough because there would need to be tracks spreading to every corner of the county, and that would probably be some sort of trolly system, not a bullet train, it would still be slow, and retardedly expensive.

The trolly system here in San Diego, is only 53 miles of track, has a max speed of 55mph and cost us multiple billions of dollars, and it operates on a fucking deficit being paid by tax payers. It's idiotic

>Look at the pic related in that post. over $300. It's fucking expensive. It costs over $60 just to go 45 minutes from San Diego up to Orange county. It's dumb
Wow it's like you purposefully did it that way to make your bad point, as well as picking two places not connected by rail.
But a round trip is still 81 dollars.

Going from Seattle to LA only costs 120 dollars. You can get a cabin for less than 400

They are faster than cars, not more convenient though, not here in the US. It's such a hassle to deal with it because there's no support for it to actually get somewhere. yea it's cool if I want to visit a fucking trainstation in LA, but I'm pretty sure I want to go somewhere else, which is a pain in the ass in LA because the traffic is unreal

They proably spent like $10,000,000 to draw up plans. i'd be suprised if it's done anytime in my life. The trolly system in San Diego took 30 years from it's conception to the time they finished the first rail. And that is only 50 miles of track

You could, I'm sure. But the big problem is that the amtrack rout doesn't go all the way, you have to take a 2 hour bus ride just to get to the next train. And they will never build a train through LA because the land is so expensive.

This is in shanghai isn't it? That thing is expensive as fuck. I didn't ride it because it costs like 30 dollaridoos for the short bit it traverses. Its really not viable even in a crazy country regarding infrastructure like China. The high speed rail system they have is sufficient and they are as big as the USA, and it's a lot cheaper as well.

>infrastructure project
>$1bn
You couldn't even connect Manhattan and NJ with that

>build 5 feet of rail
>have to reposses land from farmers
>get rednecks standing their ground
>project fails
Great idea

HA! So, San diego will get the fucking shaft on the train, and we will still have to shell out part of the Trillion dollars? Get fucked. Asking for a train to get from San Diego to San Francisco isn't insane, they should've been connected but they aren't. And that's a huge issue if 1/5 of the states population is cut off from it's biggest infrastructure project.

Show me a ticket you can get from seattle to LA, prove me wrong

300 dollars?! For that money you can take a flight to Bangkok here. I can fly all over Europe for that money.

Compare those costs to China. Okay, it's a cheap and poor country. They can still get you from one side to the other for maybe a 100 in that time on a high speed train.

high-speed rail

It's one TRILLION, bros. And a lot of people, maybe even most people, either won't care or will not care what it is spent on as long as we get people to work.

We're not in such dire straits that we need the Civilian Conservation Corps but fixing bridges and doing some basic bitch other stuff would be a great idea. We could certainly borrow ideas from that though. It worked well and we can thank them for some amazing things like the infrastructure and health of our national forests. America's nature was fucked up from over farming and the Dust Bowl related events.

It's a gamble since the USA is far into debt but the forecasting wizards probably don't have any better ideas.

Also the GOP has been smart recently in encouraging people to go to trade/tech school - it is pretty easy depending on what you study, the load you take on, and how good of a student you are... But you will go into either no debt or very little debt and make good money while people like doctors and engineers are paying off their massive college loans.

The good thing about trade school is that dummies can get through it. They will have a hard time but if they apply themselves they can do it. You have to be a special kind of retarded to not get through it.

You realize how little $1MM would do?

the first reason is population density. the second reason is the massive rebuilding of bombed-out infrastructure after world war 2. the usa never experienced that, so our infrastructure hasn't changed much.

imagine a situation where the northeast is annihilated into rubble and most infrastructure is destroyed--that would be an opportune time to build new infrastructure for high speed rail.

1 Billion ain't enough to even fix the fucking roads here in PA. Good luck trying to get the trains running for that much.

then they can connect them, you salty little mexican

where is the proof?
600, maybe, but no way you are going from amsterdam to bangok for 300 dollars

LOL, they spent over $600,000,000 just getting new trolly cars here in san diego. $1billion won't even be enough to acquire 50 miles of land to build the track on

The US would literally have to replace all their 19th century railways.
So yes, it would be tremendously expensive

>then they can connect them, you salty little mexican

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! building a train through 60 miles of fucking LA, ripping up houses, businesses, roads! You're literally retarded if you ACTUALLY think that will ever happen. IF, they ever build a high speed rail through california, it will be through the central valley and riverside, not LA. LA is too full and too fucking epensive. You realize if they try to buy the land, a fucking 1000 sqft house in LA costs upwards of $700,000 in many cases. Imagine them trying to do that through all of california, it will NEVER happen like that.

Nice ticket. Pic related is why the train is outdated and silly. for less money and in 33HOURS LESS TIME

33HOUR LESS TIME

A FUCKING DAY AND A HALF FASTER THAN A FUCKING CHOO CHOO TRAIN

You could fly in an airplane

HAHAH! ROUND FUCKIGN TRIP TOO!!!!

Face it trains are pointless

Why are European flights so cheap??

Yeah, because getting to that minimum wage tip-dependent job is so colossally important.
You're not Japan. Stop trying to act like you are.

It's going across the top of the wall, senpai.

with a big wedge on the front to clear the path

well, no one wants to go to san diego anyway, that's why it's not connected.

your salt is delicious

>tfw mexicans like get smashed into paste trying to cross the wall

>N-nobody likes S-san diego dude. It sucks...

Yeah, okay bud. Be mad that your liberal fantasy of a choo choo train is smashed.

How can you deny that it's 12 times faster and half the price to fly than to take a plane? How can you even fucking justify that? It's absurd. I've been to Seattle, it fucking sucks. You're jealous you don't live in the best weather in the greatest country on earth

Yeah it would be awesome to have bullet trains. But did you know the ones in Japan are completely private? They aren't run by the government at all.

I've never denied it. But the train is and always will be more comfy and enjoyable than any cheapshit plane

>m-m-muh mexico is better than what i think ur city is

I guarantee where I live blows your smelly spic shithole out of the water

>bullet train takes 26 hours to go from san diego to san francisco
>bus prices mean bullet train rides cost $300

Is that you Richard?

Lol PA here! Aint that the truth. Fucking Philly eats up all State taxes.

>samefagging

The US is lagging behind the rest of the world when it comes to Train transportation. The distance of our cities from each other is a big part of that, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't develop.

Nah. That shit is terrible.

>implying

>samefagging

Tax and spend liberal policies are never a good idea.

>Bus Ticket
Yeah, that's the state of trains in california, you can't get a train ride from here to san francisco without a fucking bus.

>the train is and always will be more comfy and enjoyable than any cheapshit plane

Yeah, i bet it's real comfy sitting on a train for 35 fucking hours, instead of a normal padded seat for 3 hours on an airplane

And no, it's not a bullet train, that's a normal train. Just imagine how expensive a fucking bullet train will be if a normal train costs $300

And do you think that I literally live in Mexico? I live in a 98% white neighborhood in a hyper conservative part of San Diego

Yeah, I know for a fact that where I live is much better than any part of Seattle

>"if you take the train then what do you do about getting around? Rental car, cab?"

what the fuck would happen if you flew there, you stupid autistic son of a bitch