The real problem with Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel never had a consistent or interesting backstory, consistent or interesting enough to keep comic buyers interested. That changed when she was written as a take-charge, militaristic superhero. The recent troubles with her character are because of this. All she really needs is a character arc with Mar-Vell coming down to tell her to chill out with assholery and take her story in a direction from there.

>Captain Marvel never had a consistent or interesting backstory
You mean new carol, right?
Old carols backstory was almost TOO interesting considering rapebaby shenanigans.

They had an issue where Mar-Vell came back and they had an adventure together. All that did was show just how much of an incompetent, hot-headed fuckup Carol truly is compared to him. She literally causes a war in the first like 6 pages. You wanna know how you improve the Captain Marvel name? Take it away from Carol.

I think it would be interesting if there was a arc where the name was taken away from her and she had to work to get it back.

There's no problem with Carol, she's the best.

Bad=/=interesting.

Old Carol was interesting AND sexy. Somehow I doubt they're going to touch upon her alcoholism. We got a hint of Stark's in Iron Man I and II, but since they're basing her off of nuCarol, I doubt she's going to be an interesting character in any capacity.

Do we really need another thread where everyone jerks themselves off over the same talking points as to how Captain Marvel is a shitty character.

I mean, we know she's a shitty character, we all know the reasons why she's a shitty character. Is this just gonna go the way of Power Girl threads where it just devolves in to a thinly-veiled excuse to post cheesecake?

>Is this just gonna go the way of Power Girl threads where it just devolves in to a thinly-veiled excuse to post cheesecake?

If you insist.

There's a certain vicariousness in discussion threads. we all want to be the writers of the characters because we feel we could do better. I started this thread because i was tired of carol bashing threads and wanted a more positive look at what she could do in the future

How would Captain Marvel (C Danvers) fans feel if there were no Captain Marvel book, but Catol were in a team book called SWORD or Alpha Flight Station with 4-6 superheroes more?
I think it would be better for her, than a solo. It would be similar to her time with the x-men.

speaking of the REAL Captain Marvel

OUR GIRL WON and in about an hour she's going to win AGAIN

>we all want to be the writers of the characters because we feel we could do better

I know for a fact I don't, because no one can write Carol well.

Think there will be any reference at all to her Ms. Marvel look?

I think she works better as part of an ensemble, and not necessarily the main focus. I liked her well enough as an Avenger.

Nope. They need to give up on pretending she is a hero and make her a straight up villain instead. Emphasize that she does it all for the power and fame because she is insecure about her shitty social life. Have her constantly looking to ruin other heroes so that she can swoop in and get credit for saving the day. Make her go on an alcoholic breakdown when she gets caught for all the bullshit she did only to find solace in retarded Marvel citizens who support her no matter how shitty she is, turning her against the real heroes even more.

>only 1

OH NO NO NO NO NO

Single-scene gag where she's trying to put together a superhero outfit and finds the swimsuit only to throw it away out of disgust.

She's a woman?

That's going too far in a single direction and flanderizing the shit out of Carol' s character to make a shitty point about her being a bad person. Carol does what she does because she wants to help, but she's also ambitious and wants recognition. That's not necessarily bad, but it can introduce character conflicts.
Carol worked best as the hungry up and comer who's trying to make it into the A-leagues. Now that she's in the A-leagues, those personality problems and specifics got erased and replaced by generic no nonsense military lady.

The best way to write Carol is to make her an asshole, but a competent one, and one willing to at least try and make up for her mistakes, despite making them over and over again.

I'd rather it be an actual swimsuit she wears for a brief pool scene. But there's no way Disney would go for even a hint of sexiness.

That is why I asked. I think she doesnt work as a solo character or as a team leader with a supporting cast.
She should be the muscle flying tank of some team of heroes, who live in the SWORD space station with the mission of protecting earth from aliens.
That would be better than continuing to try to make Carol happen.

Who cares? Disney bought back the X-Men and FF rights so they can throw this chick into the trash can.

We all know the movie will fix Carol anyway.

>The best way to write Carol is to make her an asshole, but a competent one, and one willing to at least try and make up for her mistakes, despite making them over and over again.
THIS. And have characters react to her assholishness appropriately. The rah-rah gurl pwr! schtick is just condescending and annoying.

do Carol fans like the new human supporting cast donut steels of her last books?
The last run I kinda liked of Carol was the one that had Aurora, Abigail Brand, Sasquatch, etc

not how she is currently

>cheesecake?
I'm down

My man!

As much as I hated OMD, she was cute when she briefly dated Spidey. Although I much prefer her with Jess.

I've always preferred this look.

>She should be the muscle flying tank
YES! I've always loved her in that role. She seems to excel at it too, whenever she's in a team book.

is this a futa edit, or did he get stuck looking at her delicious thighs and spider sense letting him know shit was gonna hurt?

I prefer that color scheme over the current one. I'd like a version like that but with pants and a full shirt. I don't mind skin I just think that a superhero should have a suit that protects them from the elements

No futa, she just has delicious thighs. Their actual date in their actual continuity was less entertaining.

Mikaela a cute! CUTE!

I really hope they bring in Karla. She was a great rival.

>The best way to write Carol is to make her an asshole, but a competent one, and one willing to at least try and make up for her mistakes, despite making them over and over again.

They have been trying and failing to do that for years already. At least by making her a villain, Marvel would be creating an antagonist worth a damn. Making her a villain isn't even a stretch anymore considering the shit she has done over the years.

Cheesey cake

She has an amazing ass.

>It's like being backstage at a great show.
Sometimes, the writing is just so damn good.

>the name was taken away from her and she had to work to get it back
Monica should take it back and keep it.

Marvel war when? I want Karla to join in the battle royale!

Damn straight.

>Expecting Feige to do anything interesting with Carol and not turning her into generic Buffy clone #500.

I've always known her as the battle crazy psychopath. It's what was fun about her.

Anyone else find it funny that during his run, Reed actually made an effort in giving Carol her own rogues gallery which KSD immediately threw away for awful memory loss stories and generic space adventures?

Feige: "She will interrupt emotional moments with jokes and you're going to like it!!!!!"

I liked it better when that was Spidey's job.

Me too but I guess Feige and Disney want all of the Marvel characters not named Steve Rogers to be quipsters.

"The elevator's not worthy!"

The problem is that Carol is a supporting character who Marvel is trying to force to be one of their A-listers. And in the process ruining her to the point that she's not even good as part of an ensemble cast anymore.

Her new design is terrible
her characterization is terrible
her storylines are terrible

The best thing about her run was actually the side characters. Her team was genuinely the most interesting part of her entire series and acting as a space customs agent is a storyline that has serious merit.
Too bad she's the main character of it. I could not write a more boring, lackluster character if I tried. She's a perfect storm of boring and sarcasm to care about.