Felix the Cat: The Movie

Anyone else unironically love this movie as a kid? Had it on video and somehow its total craziness never really bothered me, I actually found the story pretty badass with all the apocalyptic steampunk shit. Plus the soundtrack is fucking brilliant.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rXDZ65wTa5w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also, speaking of the OST, the movie's director recently authorised an HQ release of all its songs, so we can finally hear them in all their glory sans SFX.

youtube.com/watch?v=rXDZ65wTa5w

i agree

I finally rewatched this a year or so ago after not seeing it for close to 25 years, and it was kind of shocking to see how much of the animation is an absolute mess, and how it was nowhere near the quality I remembered it being.

There's just all sorts of stuff being reused, like backgrounds and characters that shouldn't be in the scene popping in and out randomly and it can be pretty jarring at times.

That being said, I still enjoyed it, and the music was, and is still absolutely excellent.

WHO'S THE BOSS

>There's just all sorts of stuff being reused, like backgrounds and characters that shouldn't be in the scene popping in and out randomly and it can be pretty jarring at times.

Yep. My personal favourite is when the clip of the princess and her aide being caught by the robots at the start of the movie is reused during the climax, even though the setting is completely different and the aide is not actually in the scene.

It's a guilty pleasure of mine. I know it's objective trash as a movie, but the setting and the soundtrack is amazing.
A lot of good ideas, but with shitty technical executions.

Yeah, when I saw that it was just such a "haha what?" moment.

Agreed. Oriana is a world I wanted to see more of. Hell, I spent more time imagining what other shit there was in that world than in the Star Wars universe as a kid.

>apocalyptic steampunk shit
why havent i seen this film!!!!???

Yeah, most of the movie is spent in grimy seedy cities populated by drunk aliens and evil robots. The rest is spent in dark forests with literal head hunters, swamps with dragon skeletons in, and that kind of shit. It's completely the wrong aesthetic for a Felix the Cat movie but it's fucking awesome.

wow cool, remember when cartoons use to scare kids

I also particularly enjoyed the Duke of Zill, an otherwise wholly serious villain, showing up to the final confrontation in a fucking ice cream cart for no reason whatsoever. It's not acknowledged or explained. It's just there: Aldoni's Royal Ices.

The music is much better than it has any right to be.

WHO IS THE BOSS

I'd like a Region 1/A release of "The Twisted Tales of Felix", personally. The only DVD release it got was a German set, which thankfully included English audio but still had German title cards.

Twisted Tales is s fucking great cartoon, my favorite Felix-related thing

I think NC greatly exaggerated in his review for this. It had many flaws but it wasn't as bad as he made it out to be.

The Duke of Zill of course!

No, it's pretty objectively a shit movie, but it isn't without its merits. The backgrounds and music, namely.

I used to love it as a kid

I watched it again a few months ago and to me it hasn't aged that well

THE DUKE OF ZIL OF COURSE