Black Panther

They stole the movie.

I hope M'Baku gets the villain spot that he so rightfully deserves in a sequel.

Are you implying people of color are thieves?

No really no, Letitia was weak as fuck

Black people usually do.

I'm sure he will. Marvel's new M.O. with freshmen franchises seems to be to make one of the comics villains a total bro and then have him turn to evil in the sequel. First Mordo, now M'Baku.

honestly i don't want to see m'baku become the villain after going through all the trouble of making him (at least) the indifferent/tempermental ally.

>Implying he will survive IW

Sorry user, but Black Dwarf, I mean Cull Obsidian, will kill him.

But that's why they did it, user. So that when it happens, it hurts.

Nah.

I thought that the cat gauntlet cannons looked stupid in the advertising, but given how Shuri acts in the film it fits the character.

I could see it being that given his tribe are isolationist Amish types in an already isolationist nation, he disagrees with T'Challa's plan to let the world know about them and ends up helping someone like Achebe because he genuinely believes it's what's best for Wakanda, and serves as a representative of sorts for the people who dont really want this kind of change to what's worked out well so far.

>
>Klaue

How do people like this guy? He was shit, unless being a retard makes you an interesting character nowadays

Fuck that. Temporarily aligned goals doesn't make M'Baku T'Challa's friend. I'm more interested in how M'Baku stands to be a threat. Perhaps he kills/eats a sacred white gorilla which has fed on vibranium enriched fauna for years, thus granting him superhuman strength?

Klaw is a fan favorite in general. His movie version is pretty fun.

Can anyone explain why M'Baku was even allowed to challenge T'Challa?
He was already king. So anyone of royal lineage can up and challenge the king for the throne whenever they want?
Is that based on any existing cultural practices?

the mirror image story of these two works too well.

ally turns traitor
opponent becomes friend

Most MCU villains lately have been dead serious, so it's nice to see a bad guy that's also a big ham.

it's based on the idea that if a king isn't strong enough to defend the throne, they aren't strong enough to be king. It shows up in a LOT of movies.

M'Baku was the ruler of the Jabari, which are a part of Wakanda. It's like a Mayor challenging the President, so to speak.

that's why i listed him as ally not friend.

feels they skipped a scene, why become the cavalry at the end when he told t'challa to gtfo unless he got a deal out of him.

Each of the tribes get a chance to offer a champion to challenge the incoming King at his coronation ceremony, it seems typically the other 4 decline while M'Baku's tribe just dont show up, but due to the circumstances of T'Chaka's death he decided to show up. It doesn't seem like he would be able to do so at any time.

Killmonger seems to be exploiting a slightly different tradition where members of the royal bloodline can challenge whenever they want, again its likley not one thats implemented often since all the previous instances would have both raised in Wakanda and the line of succession would be clear and the other princes would also get positions of major power so wouldnt really feel the need to become King, while Killmonger had nothing so decided to go straight for it.

While I thank you for the info, saying " a lot of movies do it" isn't helpful. You could name one at least.
But..a mayor doesnt challenge the president to become president.

they literally gave an open challenge for the throne with m'baku.

the royal lineage one seems to be for killmonger.

>But..a mayor doesnt challenge the president to become president.

In Wakanda they do.

T'Challa now owes M'Baku a favor.

He though on it and realised that T'challa was right when he said that unless he acted he'd be next in Killmonger's sights.

But T'Challa already drank the clover and was given the suit. The coronation ceremony was done, then T'challa went to America to find Bucky and avenge his dad.

I would under stand if this was the first time they did the ceremony and had the tribes there to offer a challenge, but i found it very odd that they do the ceremony twice. And on the second time, they allow others to challenge the prospective king still.

I really dont get that part. T'Chaka dies, and so t'challa drinks the clover ( essentially the coronation ceremony) gets the suit, goes to avenge his dad, then returns to wakanda to then be challenged by the other tribes for the throne even though he was already king.

My understanding of it is that T'Challa has already been the Black Panther for most of his adulthood, ever since his dad got too old and fat to do it.

By being the next in line, T'Challa was automatically given the herb because his father was too old to be Wakanda's protector. T'Challa wasn't yet king in Civil War, but he was the acting "Black Panther". He was then given the drink to remove said powers to ensure the challenge would be fair, and then later given the herb again to regain his right.

The ceremony seems to be dedicated to having the other tribes accept him as leader, consummating his kingship. Everything in Civil War was in extreme circumstances and likely moved too fast for the proper ceremonies to be undertaken, so when it calmed down they went through it properly. The suit and the herb were likely given before all this because Wakanda cannot afford to be without a Black Panther for too long a time, and the previous King was too old to fill the role.

>You could name one at least.
Hellboy 2 and The Golden Compass have it as plot points.

speculation but i think t'chaka only stepped down as black panther and not the kingship, and passed it on to t'challa (get experience with the buffs the totally organic super soldier juice gives) so t'chaka's off the jungle juice now.

also why he died from the explosion (no more enhanced body) even though t'challa took the same punishment.

the whole thing with the waterfall was just for ceremony.

>Hear people keep talking about how good the villain is.
>Watch the movie
>I WUZ A KANG AND U DIDN HELP

His entire character was contrived as all hell, it was literally a guy trying to make the greatest chimpout of all time happen.

Seeing those vibranium clad rhinoceroses really made me want to see The Rhino in action

that feeling that you know someone is going to do threads on "how do they poop?" for those rhinos

Um. Is this all just head canon? Nothing in the movie explained anything and I think since its coming off of Civil War it really should have. I could accept " it was done in a rush so there was no ceremony" but we're never told and that isnt something that should be left to inference. The movie really screwed up in not clarifying that.
Ah ok.

i did said 'speculation'.

at best t'challa is acting regent for wakanda in civil war.

i thought that was the point. He was basically a superpowerd BLM extremist because the last Black panther killed his dad For not being Nationalist. Then the Black Panther wants to open up Wakanda to others countries because Their Nationalism led to The Antagonist being so fucked up.

>I need everything spelled out to me, the post
Also again, I don't think it was a rush job ceremony in Civil War. He probably already ate the herb prior because again, Wakanda needed a Black Panther, and T'Chaka was too old. His son was next in line

It comes up incredibly frequently in Star Trek with the Klingons.

They're quite clearly wearing removable barding. I don't even think the armor covers their ass enough to stop shit from hitting the ground.

I feel like that's too much of a retread of the first movie.

So from what I'm hearing, the villain in Black Panther is an American inner city gang-banger turned mercenary that for some.....reason, became the king of Wakanda after kicking T'challa off the throne and deciding to go full Mein Kampf on the place. Also unrelated, but there isn't really a point where a bunch of blacks hoot like gorillas to get Bilbo Baggins to stop talking is there? That sounds really dumb and really racist if true.

It's a war chant, but yes. They do.

Can someone post a pic of White Wolf at the end
Yes and they were actually kinda cool but the American nigger ruined the movie. They managed to make me excited about this African civilization and this cool world then they just made it about Black Lives Matter

Also there's a fucking "What are thoooooseeee" meme

Ok. So. Are you well versed in BP lore? Does the clover have a time limit? Goes away with age and time? Or is it that the king took the antidote because he...didnt want to be super strong anymore. Why would he do that? Why not have the strength still but still pass down the BP mantle?
Also the movie itself makes it painfully clear that ingesting the leaf is apart of the coronation ceremony. Which i understood as you only drink the clover when you become king, not just BP.

He's actually T'Challa's cousin who was raised in America.

I think you just weren't paying attention.
The very first scene after the initial flashback with young T'Chaka is T'Challa watching the news, where it says that its been a week since the death of T'Chaka, with a big fucking picture of Zemo to tell you that everything in this movie happens after the events of Civil War, otherwise mainstream media wouldn't know who the fuck Zemo is.

>that for some.....reason, became the king of Wakanda after kicking T'challa off the throne
He has a rightful claim to that throne. A claim that he was denied. He also 'beat' T'challa fair and fucking square. No tricks, no creative interpretation of rules, no bullshit. He straight up 'won' the throne in the ways tradition allow for.

>a bunch of blacks hoot like gorillas to get Bilbo Baggins to stop talking
They do, but they're also just fucking around and hold no unusual amount of ill will towards him.

>being a retard makes you an interesting character nowadays
Well, judging by all the praise Kylo Ren receives, yes it does.

It's not dumb and racist, it's pretty funny and the point is one of the five rulers of Wakanda is telling this white American CIA guy to shut the fuck up because him and the King are talking.

Like he follows it up with something like "TALK AGAIN AND WE WILL FEAST ON YOUR FLESH" then after a beat starts laughing because he was just fucking with the guy.

Buddy, this isn't hard. No, the herb doesn't have a time limit. T'Chaka was active king, but he could no longer be active Black Panther, the warrior and protector of Wakanda. Since T'Challa was next in line, he was given the treatment prior to Civil War, because T'Chaka was going to hand him the throne in a short time regardless. T'Chaka had no reason to retain the power of the herb. The ceremony is just political shit, Wakanda still needs a Black Panther regardless who has the throne. You're overthinking this shit

more of black ops turned rogue

though the hooting can be interpreted as m'baku being an ass and just messing with ross.

he could just say "shut yo mouth white trash" or "good sir, please do not speak unless spoken to" but the hooting is just funnier.

>ut there isn't really a point where a bunch of blacks hoot like gorillas to get Bilbo Baggins to stop talking is there
You know that scene in 300 where Leonidas goes "SPARTANS WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION" and they all start barking?
It's basically that.

Well like I said, I've heard snippets of the plot thus far, so I don't have a full picture to work with. I'm still on the fence on whether or not to see it, cause it better not be a repeat of the all women ghost busters shenanigans where it's actually kinda bad to just okay and people are up selling the shit out of it for political reasons.

I thought the sister was kind of annoying

>American inner city gang-banger turned mercenary
No. Like all Wakandans apparently, he's super smart and went to MIT, then into all kinds of black ops special forces work after joining the military. He was inner city, but I don't think he was a gang banger.

Same. I was confused by her style and attitude.
Everyone else in Wakanda is full African, but then she comes in and starts talking and acting like a Western teen girl with an accent.

Turns out, having a government train and send people out to overthrow other governments is a bad idea. Who knew?

I thought it was obvious that she was trying to assimilate outside culture.

would honestly be funnier if the queen, shuri and nakia totally knows he does that shit all the time.

>Wakanda's funniest videos: best of M'baku vol XXII

It's pretty good for a Marvel flick. Does it's own thing, has a few references to the rest of the MCU and doesn't try to make the point that ALL blacks are good and ALL whites are evil. Wakandans are shown to be in the wrong and do shit things just like everyone else.

CGI could be better in some places and the final 'big fight' was underwhelming, if even necessary.

Shuri absolutely has her own personal link to the outside worlds internet

and is a very powerful shitposter

yeah when they were talking about how all those marks are for kills, those are like Iraqi deaths.

he got the name killmonger from the military!

He's so happy to be doing what he's doing. With all the conflicted villains, he's just so genuinely happy to be bad.

Well the final fight at least gave us some idea on how the Infinity War battle will play out (mainly force-fields and vibranium rhinos) but I still don't have any idea what the fuck those swords do.

M'Baku specifically calls her out about that stuff when he challenges T'Challa

It's showing that she's open to the world, wants to be a part of it and share what she what she has.

i was waiting for something like this

>wi-fi? like the ones savages use?

If it's just okay I think I can skip it, I should've done that for Thor:Ragnarok. That was actually kinda boring and filled with CGI that I just couldn't stop noticing, especially around Hela. Watched Dead Alive the same night with my cousin, had way more fun. So some good came out of it. So yeah, go watch some of Peter Jackson's early work for a good time instead I guess.

She could be shitposting here right now!

Explain me all the praise for Shuri. I thought she was pretty boring.

Huh? I dont remember asking if the movie took place after civil war.

she could be in some sort of lewd fic collab with kamala

I definitely agree on the last point. When T'Challa stabbed Killmonger, and he went down, my only thought was "Wow, it's over already?"
They at least slightly redeemed it for me by bringing Erik up the elevator to see the sunset, then dashed it again with the shallow, reaching slavery connection.

Well I think it's a good time, with genuinely funny jokes and, refreshingly enough, doesn't take itself super-duper-hyper seriously at all times. Wakandans are allowed to be jokey, to be teasing and to be people. And all without necessarily being mean spirited. I was honestly surprised.

It could've been done with a little more subtlety, I think. At the very least, drop the "WHAT ARE THOOOOSE" bit.

She's the sassy teenager that plays off with the vanilla protagonist

Still, I can't help but notice that this is a 2nd woman of color in a Marvel flick (after Zendaya in Homecoming) that makes a racist jab at a white guy

She's a sheltered heiress that desperately wants to be a part of and contribute to the greater human culture. She's also a cringy little sister being a teenager. I can forgive her a bit.

>Each of the tribes get a chance to offer a champion to challenge the incoming King at his coronation ceremony
It sucks that all those badass looking warriors bitched out of the fight

Why would the king give up super strength?
He couldnt keep the herbs effects and be king and ALSO let his son have the clover and be the wakandan protector?
What is your evidence for this?

Im very annoyed with how the movie didnt explain black panther and his actual return home after his dads death, and everything tied to it ( ingesting the herb the 1st time getting the suit the first time) that is something they shouldve explored in a flashback and it wouldve been cool and couldve been an emotional sequence too. But no. Lets time jump, and show the coronation..even though theoretically this is the second time. I wanted to see what happened the first time.

This is a sad shill thread. Faggots

another thing this movie did very well was hype avengers because now we care about the rest of the people in that fight

Him beating T'Challa was bullshit I hope we all agree

Fuck, Killmonger of course

The "Colonizer" thing with Ross was clearly a joke, she never holds any ill will towards him or anyone else in that way.

There was no 'first' coronation. He is King of Wakanda AFTER his fight at the waterfalls with M'baku. And even then, a point of the movie was that, he was't truly the king since a legitimate claimant was not allowed to voice their opinion.

Well, in M'Baku's case, it'd parallel their relationship in the comics, former friends made into enemies because of their differing views on how Wakanda should be run.

What was the second credit scene?

>Why would the king give up super strength?
tradition that ensures kings won't go power mad especially during long reigns?

Bucky

Anyone have screenshots?

Is he only called M'baku because calling him Man Ape won't fly anymore?

In what way? It was clear Killmonger was singularly focused on this one goal and had been so for the majority of his life. He simply wanted it more. Meanwhile, T'Challa's image of his father and everything related to the throne had just been cast into some serious doubt. He was completely out of sorts and facing the undeniable truth of his father's sins.

Shuri visiting Bucky in Wakanda, he's had the HYDRA programming in his brain successfully removed by her

Notably, some of the Wakandan kids refer to him as the White Wolf

Wait what? I thought white Wolf was a girl?

He's called M'Baku because that's his name. He's "M'Baku the Man-Ape." Getting called by their actual name rather than their superhero/villain name is an issue with most characters in the MCU. Even T'Challa gets called "(King) T'Challa" far more-so than Black Panther.

The movie shows that when you ingest the clover you must go through the ceremony. Drinking the clover, battling, getting the suit, and being buried is all apart of becoming king. The movie shows this. Twice. And the third time its symbolic of T'Challa taking back his crown before he actually does.

Your inference is that he just drank the clover, put his suit on, and went after Zemo. How do you know this as a fact?

I felt the movie was really weak for the first third or so outside of the M'Baku fight, since nobody challenged Panther or his crew. The car chase is the most egregious example, nobody on the good guys side was in danger until Klaw started blasting folk. It got better once Killmonger came and btfo T'challa during the Klaw extraction.

all i could think about