OK Sup Forums, this failed last thread. Let's see if making my own thread will get you out...

OK Sup Forums, this failed last thread. Let's see if making my own thread will get you out. You claim to be the defenders of Western civilization and Western values. I wish to discover if you actually know anything about Western culture.

So I have a two simple questions for you. One: who is the man in this portrait. You will have seen it posted here hundreds of times, so you, loves of culture that you are, should have at some point bothered to look up who it is. Two: What are your three favorite quotes from him? Do both of these things without replacing your memory with a search engine.

Or if other areas of the vast and grand complex of Western culture are more your forte: what are your three favorite works of Botticelli? Or can you define "counterpoint" for me, and who (in your estimation) were the greatest innovators in it? Again, all must be answered without external aid. I shall have keep good faith that you will not abuse a search engine, but then again in my experience I shouldn't have any faith in you.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PDBiLT3LASk
youtube.com/watch?v=hXq-imi271w&list=PL8yT-VBsQ7Rvx_IEWonTj26_M3_RS2e21&index=89
youtube.com/watch?v=IVJCgjyLJqE
youtube.com/watch?v=3SUWK_pWrbw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you're an idiot

you remind me of my liberal friends who think they're so smart cauz they can join 2 fancy words in one sentence, you're not smart you're and idiot

I'll give this a bump. Perhaps you can tell me who this man is? He was a master of counterpoint, whatever that means. I'll feed you a couple more images of important dead white European men.

Thoughtful response, my illiterate friend.

This dead white man was a Jew and a philosopher, although of a somewhat renegade character. Can you tell me why you dislike him? After all, he must have been a schemer.

>One: who is the man in this portrait.
Adam Smith

I would go there. But people on this particular board think they know something. I am trying to test if they really do.

This is a sculptor.

Wrong; I misnamed it. It is Samuel Johnson. What's something he said. Also, are the rest of these images mislabeled?

Here is a famous Roman statesman and orator, but what was his name again? Do any of you speak Latin? What's something he said? I even one of you can give me a complete correct answer about one of these people, I'll leave satisfied.

Captcha: 5500 Reuben

OK, real softball here. Who's this guy? You all probably wouldn't like him either, even though he's a most venerable dead white European male. Why don't you like him? Does it have something to do with being a cuck?

One more. This is as easy as it gets. Who's this Arab-looking motherfucker? What are five things he wrote?

Cicero pronounced kikero
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Happy?

Oh, absolutely elate. I would have liked it even better had it been in Latin, but one can't ask for the world. So far, there are ten Canadian brain cells in all of Sup Forums. Goodie.

>what was his name again?
Cicero
>Do any of you speak Latin? What's something he said?
Quousque tandem abutere catilina patientia nostra?

julius caeser
a midsummer nights dream
edward iii
henry iv
hamlet
othello
coriolanus
a hundred sonnets

Who is this man? What was one of his many many contributions?

Your shitpost machine wouldnt exist if it wasnt for his fundamental ideas.

Very good. Thanks.

Almost perfect! Except it was a bit more than 100. 160-something as I recall.

That's John von Neumann, of course. There are a million things named after him: I would guess that "Neumann transforms" exist as a kind of mathematical function, though I am not sure. I know that he made great leaps and bounds in the field of neural networks, however. Can you answer one of my questions? Preferably not about Cicero or Shakespeare.

Hey OP, prove to me that you are not a bot. Prove this to me by my criteria, right now, in such a way that I will believe you. I am the self-declared judge of this contest and reserve the right to reject your every answer, granting that you should let a snap contest from a total stranger on a message board plagued by paid trolls prove anything.

Samuel Johnson, he's not obscure.
I like his put down of Bolingbroke tbqh

>arab looking
you're dumb as fuck famalam

Melodies played over one another
Our experiences are related to how we perceive them.
Gregor Samsa. Also a remarkably sad and lonely man.
Aye, at Phillipi
Enigma Code. Overt homosexual.

Wrong on both fronts but you knew him at least.

thats joyce

I dont know him

Dont know him

All I care about it is math and physics, sorry dude.

von Neumann
Shakespeare
Joyce
Cicero
Rossetti? idk
Descartes
idk Handel?

Samuel Johnson. Famous dictionary maker. I don't have any favorite quotes from him. I have very few favorite quotes. And more often than not, I learn that the ones I like are actually fucking misattributed, so I've stopped using them.

Not enough of a fan of sculpture to tell you about Botticelli.

When I think "Western culture" I tend to focus on writers and thinkers. Thomas Paine. J.S. Mill. Voltaire. Jefferson and Madison. George Washington.

look you dumb nigger. i don't have to know what james joyce or any of these kikes looks like because he was an author and it's possible to consume their media without seeing their retarded hook nose faces. suck my dick

Realize as I post that I confused Botticelli and he's a fucking painter. Birth of Venus. Fuck me.

Was thinking of Bernini.

Spinoza. Why is the title of the fucking jpg "Kant"?

Why the fuck is Shakespeare called Cervantes

I'm not asking anything of you in particular, my friend. Indeed, I would say my test has been satisfied. You people know who Shakespeare and Cicero are. You have at least graduated high school, I presume. The next phase would be to see if any self-declared defenders of civilization have any insights about the great works of our culture.

OK, finally! Also, do you have a specific quote in mind? I thought the Bolingbroke thing was more of an ongoing spat.

You definition of counterpoint is halfway there. Also, that's not Franz Kafka nor the fictional Gregor Samsa.

Good guesses. Rossetti was not a sculptor, however, and so far nobody has gotten the JEW right. It's not Handel, either, but I think they were contemporaries.

Well, fair enough. What do you like about, say, Voltaire? Do you have a favorite quote from him?

I'm being a little tricky. Just so you know, all these labels (so far) are wrong.

Now that this thread has some activity, here's another. You all would like him. What's a poem of his?

OK, good, that is indeed Baruch Spinoza. What do you think of him? He was a Jew who got shunned from his community.

You lose the argument as soon as you jump to insults. OP has a point, and you just made ypurself an example of it. Good job user.

Voltaire quote: the foundation upon which the common law justice system is [supposed to] built.

"It is better to risk sparing a guilty person than to punish an innocent one." Or something like that.

Collect 'em all, faggot.
This thread is cancer.
>saged and hidden

OK, good. So Baruch Spinoza belonged in a concentration camp. Can someone tell me why one of the great philosophers should have been the victim of a genocide?

Spinoza's fine. He's Dutch. I would say he denied the personhood of God by saying he is the natural law of the world, but that's a simplification. He's the precursor to the many pseudo-agnostics who cannot bear to give up belief in a god and so "choose to believe in God as physics and the natural world around us"

He's in Hitchens' list of "guys you gotta read to understand the West" along with Lucretius and Paine and Mill.

Because A9C3W5lp is being satirical and/or has bought into the whole "lol Nazis were the good guys" too much.

I know all these cunts without looking it up, but I'm not gonna reply to every post.

Ezra Pound. Did propaganda radio broadcasts for Mussolini, then sent to an asylum in New England after the war. He had a big hardon for Italy.

Can't remember the name, but his poem about Richard Coeur de Lion is the best, or the first poem in The Cantos.

Give us a harder one like Thomas More. People would all be guessing Machiavelli, Medici, and other Italians with big hats.

youtube.com/watch?v=PDBiLT3LASk

>Also, do you have a specific quote in mind?
It's from Life of Johnson:
>Sir, he [Bolingbroke] was a scoundrel, and a coward: a scoundrel for charging a blunderbuss against religion and morality; a coward, because he had not resolution to fire it off himself, but left half a crown to a beggarly Scotchman, to draw the trigger after his death

pic is ezra pound, choose harder ones faggot

"All truth passes through 3 stages. First it is ridiculed. Second it is violently opposed. Third is accepted as self evident."

Thoughts? He's definitely my favorite enlightenment philosopher.

He did this one.

Goddamnit. The filename threw me.

Counterpoint is just polyphony, and the melodies are dependent on each other.

He was a Dutch Jew. Bare that in mind. But good, an actual thought about one of these guys.

Cool. I agree, Sestina: Altaforte (the one about Richard) is very good. There's a special place in my heart for Hugh Selwyn Mauberley, however--but I admit I have not read past the first eight or so Cantos. Who's your favorite poet?

Very well. I really like this guy, and I think that a certain famous writing of his remains most applicable even today. Who dat?

OK, I thought you meant that one. Nothing like Johnsonian disapproval.

I [spoiler]haven't read him.[/spoiler] But I must, because I love the Romantics, and he is one of their most important theorists, though he himself was a wretchedly failed poet. I wouldn't describe as "Enlightenment," however. Can you explain.

Also, of course that is not Schopenhauer. Is the quote manufactured too?

OK, I'll accept that. I was looking for the fact that the melodies are rhythmically independent, however.

>who is the man in this portrait
enlightment-era pioneer of free market economics

I only read selections from wealth of nations because I was busy reading Hobbes

actually bach is more traditionally known for perfecting counterpoint, i.e., in a fugue

died a virgin

old dead white guys lol XD

Nope. Nazis were the good guys in all seriousness. Not even memeing, but the Hitler was the only reason why Germany didn't become like Eastern France in WW 1. The amount of disinformation about WW 2 is astounding on this subject, especially considering Hitler had between 100,000-150,000 jewish soldiers who volunteered for service.

I was just memeing lad. I've only read excerpts of Kierkegaard as well. The quote however, is actually Schopenhauer.

One more. This one is very near and dear to my heart, but I am sure you all would dismiss him as a degenerate.

OK, yeah, I recall now that Schopey said that. I suppose Schope is the most Sup Forums of philosophers. I still like him, however. Another failed poet.

My nigger Kierk

Adolf "LGBBQ" Hitler wasn't the good guy.

Win'em Churchill and FDCripple were the good guys.

Oops, I forgot the image. But yes, excellent writer and satirist.

lurkmoar

Hitler and the fascists protected Europe while the capitalist societies were twiddling their thumbs expecting communism to pose no real threat to their existence. Go back to listening to the fireside chats where FDR warmly relates to "Uncle Joe" Stalin and ignore the Bolshevik Genocides which would've occurred in Germany as well had the 1919 communist revolution in Germany not failed.

Adam Smith wrote Wealth of Nations (I recall it had a longer title, don't recall what it is). I can't think of any exact quotes of his from memory which is entirely okay because he's a theorist, not a poet, and i recall his prose being js mills tier anyway.
I don't like Italian composers, and that goes to contemporary music too. Sorry. Counterpoint is the art of harmonizing a melody to another musical line, has a long tradition and a shifting body of rules (e.g. no parallel fifths). It's been a while since Music History, and questions like "who was the most important innovator of ______" are usually bunk anyhow, but I believe the technically correct answer to that question of Bach, but I suspect that it was Leonin and Perotin that really tore the roof off the "ethereal and soul-carressing harmony" sucker to begin with (although obviously what they write isn't properly counterpoint).
Of course, I am hardly a defender of Western Civilization and I don't give much of a shit for Western Values, I think we've long ago passed through the point of navel-gazing self-refferential sophomoric bullshit and it's high time for a change of pace.

I applaud your sentiment though OP, and I do believe anyone with an actual understanding of history would be incapable of being as one-dimmensional as many Sup Forumsfriends are.

Lets get this out of the way once and for all Sup Forums.

Genius, madman, or both?

Swinburne bb
Pope

What is cicero

That'd be Evola. Literally gets into kekism.

Governments do not declare people to be insane on political grounds, do they?

Nigger that's shakshpere

> liberal intellectuals
> forgets to remove name in file name

Glad you know your music history fairly well. Unfortunately, that is Dr. Johnson, the greatest quotemine in the English language, and not Smith.

Pound was always on the edge, methinks. And you read some of his letters from his later life, and, besides the strange orthography, you can tell something is severely wrong. But he was not only an incredible poet--one of the best conveyors of bitterness we have had--but also a great promoter of poetry. Without him we would not have had Eliot or the later Yeats. And in my opinion, Yeats is the best poet to have written during the past century. He (Pound) also renounced all his view towards the end, which I think to be both tragic and redemptive of him. His life is itself great literature.

[gasp] My hero! Someone who knows some authors! What do you think of Swinburne, bb?

What are you on about bruv?

Or did I? We Jewish
academics" (I would not say I have earned the title) can be pretty crafty.

No. Never.

So you guys can identify people.

Anyone actually know counterpoint? How about prosody? Of melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre, which of these four fundamental dimensions of music is wester music weakest, compared to other cultures?

>Pound renounced his views

50/50 a part of me doesn't believe him. An old man giving the roman salute on his first re-entrance to Italy doesn't just renounce fascism.

Also, Evola was famous for esotericism. Kekism is an esoteric worship of an old Egyptian god.

Wtf is with you and being Jewish? 20% of Sup Forums is Jewish. Hell. I'm Jewish.

Meh. We all gotta specialize.

You could answer with any of the four. Arabic music has better melody, Indian and eastern european music (especially if you include Bulgarian choral music) has better (or at least more interesting) harmony, African music has better rhythm (yes it does), and timbre is by far the most subjective although I do think most people would prefer the timbres of western music. You're either looking for harmony or rhythm I imagine.

I was good at counterpoint in music school but it's not relevant to what I do now. I could probably fake it nicely but I don't see what the point would be. I can certainly appreciate it when I hear it.

OP, do you know the originator of this quote?
"I don't give two splats of an old negro junkie's vomit for your politico-philosophical treatises, kiddies. I like noise. I like big-ass vicious noise that makes my head spin. I wanna feel it whipping through me like a fucking jolt. We're so dilapidated and crushed by our pathetic existence we need it like a fix."

I know very little about painting myself, so I cannot tell you what that is, though I feel that I've seen it before. I think it may actually be a Bosch, however: just look at that bird in the lower right. Is it from one of his triptychs? The Last Judgement maybe? I certainly like it, in any case, and it has aged well. The blurring, misting almost, of it amplifies the sense of dread. It has the Boschian quality of an uncontrollably dark imagination, even if it is not Bosch.

I think someone did define counterpoint fairly well here. Prosody can have a variety of senses, but I would define it as the phonetic qualities of a language as it is actually spoken that lend it to being formalized as poetry. I know nothing about ethnomusicology, but I would guess that the weakness is in harmony. So many of the other musical systems have a far larger number of notes than our diatonic system, so the number of possible chords is much greater. But I'm pulling that out of my ass.

OK, but it's not Evola.

Hahaha. I'm a very bad Jew though. I have never read the goddamn Pentateuch. I plan to soon, however. Once I am done studying Milton.

the real issue with traditional western music that makes it stronger than other cultures is how kvlt as fvck it is.

youtube.com/watch?v=hXq-imi271w&list=PL8yT-VBsQ7Rvx_IEWonTj26_M3_RS2e21&index=89

>studying milton before reading the source material
please tell me you've at least read the bible...

That's definitely Evola m80 are you blind?

I'm guessing Bukowski, only because I think that quote is idiotic and overstated. Who is it?

Never. But that has been my overall approach to literature. I started with reading Joyce's Ulysses, and have been working my way slowly backwards (in a patchy fashion). I took the backdoor in. I think it was a fine decision.

You replied to a post with Swinburne by talking about Evola. Am I missing something?

>Hahaha. I'm a very bad Jew though.

Thoughts on the Talmud overall?

The quote is not from a literary person! I'll give you a hint, they're one of the most famous audio engineers in the business.

That blows my mind. Once you get around to it, I hope you stay humble and open minded enough to retroactively update a LOT of beliefs. Not metaphysical beliefs, just ideas about the history and origin of ideas. If I were you, I'd bump it up a few places on the to-do list and schedule in a re-read for six months later.

Care to tell us what you think the most deficient aspect of western music is?

>OP: all must be answered without external aid. I shall have keep good faith that you will not abuse a search engine

>Pic contains answer to his big-brained riddle in the goddamned file name

Tell me more, wise one

>Am I missing something

Your frontal lobe maybe? Wtf are you talking about?

What year of higher education do we think OP is in, Sup Forums hive mind?

I feel myself as yet entitled to none. I like the idea of getting to really know all the traditional commentaries, but I feel that would come to be boring. But I am sure there is a lot of wisdom there, not just in the sections of the Tanakh itself but also in the Rabbinical commentaries. I have the notion that I will learn Biblical Hebrew at some point in order to appreciate the literary aspects of the Tanakh, but I think that's a pipe dream.

Audio engineer? I admit I know very few contemporary authors besides the ones /lit/ constantly circlejerks. Perhaps Pynchon? Though I thought he worked for Boeing or something. If audio engineer is metaphorical for a master of phonology--I dunno, is it the dark side of Philip Larkin or something? I abhor his poetry, but he's the only revered poet I can think of who would be modern enough to say that. Wallace Stevens liked the idea of negroes. But hopefully he would never be so vulgar as to say that. I give up.

O yes, I read nothing undeserving of a reread. But I have tried to start with the sensibilities nearest mine (and Leopold Bloom's and Joyce's sensibilities have infected mine utterly), and gradually branch out. And isn't the Bible supposed to be the book to end all books, anyway? So I must have a sufficient sensibility to tackle it, methinks. My response about the music thing is above, but I would guess harmony because the diatonic system is far more restricted in terms of chord composition than many others. I really have no idea, though. What is it, expert?

Well, forget it. Why is Evola not a hack?

I freely admit I have not yet entered college.

When I said audio engineer, I meant someone who makes records for a living. Have you never heard that term before? The guy is not a professional writer (aside from putting out some zines in the 80s, and he might have written a book no one cares about recently).

You do not, and will not, have "sufficient sensibility" to tackle it. People who think the bible is something you can process and digest and be done with are, at the risk of exaggerating, responsible for fucking up the world about as much as anyone else. Any understanding of the bible is by necessity partial, and as such one can neither be too prepared or too unprepared to read it. It's the main primary source we have for much of the /content/ of the western conscious; while one can and should parse it rationally, it's overarching importance is as a storehouse of images, themes, and stories that echo throughout the rest of the canon. To experience the bible in this regard is not something that requires preperation, and in fact is preperation for many other things, including (for instance) reading Milton or really any other thing in the classical canon before a certain point. For someone who turns up his nose at the contemporary, this seems a very major oversight!

If you haven't read the bible, that means you probably haven't read the church fathers. If you haven't read the church fathers, you have no context for Aquinas. If you have no context for Aquinas, you can't really get the importance of Descartes, and if you don't understand that, then modern philosophy is going to be opaque to you. Not that that stopped anyone I went to school with.

Oh wait, now I see. You said Evola was the most Sup Forums of philosophers. Well, I suppose that mus be true.

>Why is Evola not a hack?

Well he was no sociopath or edgy teenager if that was what you were trying to imply. First what are your criticism of him in the first place? Don't like his critiques on Democracy or something?

That's Schubert....

I know what the term means. How can you expect me to know him if nobody cares about him? Who is it, anyways?

Also, calm down, Thomist! As I said, I read everything with the mind to reread it as much as I can. And, as our dear leader might say, I have read "chapters and areas" of the Bible, enough to get Milton's imagery. Once I have read the Bible, naturally I will revisit him, but it was wholly my intention to read Milton, not the Yahwist. I do not think he is closer to the Yahwist in terms of fundamental mindset than I am to him.

But indeed, I have abandoned philosophy for the moment, so don't you worry that I will be misinterpreting Descartes. Aquinas will come, though I somewhat dread him.

I know nothing of him besides arguments on /lit/. I was only shooting the shit. Do you like him?

You have not YET entered college? What do you think college has to offer you? Some trivia to impress your nerd friends with? A piece of paper that increases your employability? A chance to fuck around and do drugs?

Definitely try every drug you want to try at college before you go to college. Consider selling them. If you're a virgin going in, you're almost certainly going to be a virgin coming out (unless you make it your main priority and neglect any amount of self-respect). Get a fucking job, preferably one you think is beneath you, like being a dishwasher in a kitchen full of mexicans. Develop a meditation practice. Talk to dead people, it's pretty easy. Start conversations with strangers. Sleep out in the hills with no tent and no sleeping bag, for at least a night. Pray. Get totally sucked down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole and then come out the other end.

Remember that there's a fucking war on and you're not immune. Do whatever you like with my advise, but try to appreciate the opportunity this post represents.

Steve Albini, who as I said is one of the best known audio engineers currently working (your ignorance is no statement of his wider reputation! lol). His bands Big Black and Shellac are seminal, he did In Utero by Nirvana, Surfer Rosa by Pixies, and Pod by the Breeders, plus approximately two thousand other albums over the last twenty years.

No need to be so defensive! A little snip snip and suddenly everything is a personal attack? Fuckin jews man

He's one of the forefathers of traditionalist thought and a central figures in the neo-reactionary movement. Yes I'm quite fond of him. His esoteric side was somewhat jarring, but nonetheless he is a genius.

The only people who like Evola are people who are afraid that their friends who like Evola will think they're dumb if they don't profess to like Evola.

>central figure to neoreaction
when does Moldbug discuss Evola? If it's not in moldbug, then it's not OG neoreaction.

People like OP are niggers because they don't realize the greatest use of knowledge is reference, not memorization.

Not fash enough for you faggot? Do go on.

okay friend, succinctly summarize Evola's main arguments. you don't have to be too accurate. if you can do so, i'll withdraw my objection.

How come you haven't posted JK Rowling?

What the fuck my man? What exactly is your point? That I should not enter college because I plan to attain a humanities degree? My fundamental reasons are to meet interesting people, to be in an environment where making reading one's priority is not looked down upon, and perhaps to make it easier to expatriate, as I am eying Oxford. The Modernists whom I so admire did so, after all. These other things I know I do not like. I probably will pick up a shit job, but I know I would not be interested in seances, I know I do not like the elements, I know I am not interested in drugs, and I try to keep my virginity out of mind as much as I can. My only severe vices are shitposting and eating a little too much. What "opportunity" is your post, anyway? Elaborate.

OK, well then, I didn't know some vulgarity a washed-up rocker spat out. Sue me. Or perhaps you will be afraid to do so because you think all Jews have extensive legal connections.

Define "reference." And naturally memorization is the lowest form of knowledge. But memory is the key to all further knowledge. You're a traditionalist. You should know this.

You're ultimately boring. It's the occult stuff that gets interesting. Ever read Yeats's "A Vision"? It's quite incredible when a poet things he can be an astrological geometer.

This is all you need to know:

Sorry, I meant to post this.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT.

This.

youtube.com/watch?v=3SUWK_pWrbw

>matriarchy vs patriarchy wherein matriarchy is the lesser of traditions
>this is the basis of R/K selection theory
>fascism will usher in a new age of prosperity
>you have a problem with this

Samuel johnson who wrote the fmost famous dictionary. I've never read anything he wrote personally so i can't give you any direct quotes but i know a good story about him. Some proper English ladies came to congratulate him on writing his dictionary and in they praised him for not including rude words and he congratulated them for being able to look them up to see if they were there, which for a properly bred lady at the time was obviously rather embarrassing.

I said I found it jarring when I first read it. Of course its enjoyable to ponder the what ifs and the limitations of my own mind on the reality of the world, but the celestial race concepts and the ultimate hyperboreanism was something I didn't quite understand at first.

An opportunity to experience for yourself those things that drive people to create all of the art that you're so impressed by. But, you seem perfectly satisfied with your own experience of the world already. If you can't see the irony of saying "I would not be interested in seances" one moment and then lauding Yeats use of astrology the next, I don't really know how to help you. Yet more evidence to this point, what on earth makes you think that your ignorance of contemporary music is anything but YOUR loss? I certainly don't care! I'm only talking to you because you remind me of myself when I was a lot younger. Like I said, I'm offering you an opportunity and it is no skin off my back if you don't take it.

not an argument