is he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/PiJLk
twitter.com/trashpurrincess/status/959547916942589952
scribd.com/document/14686737/How-to-Draw-Adventure-Time
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Man that's even worse than "That's just my style"

No.

Did he just not grow out of his Newgrounds' phase or something?

>look up who the fuck Kent Butterwoth is
>adventures of sonic the hedgehog

oh.

People disfiguring Peridot's character design to be as ridiculous as possible is one of my favorite things.

Let's see

Holy shit, so I was right ages ago when I kept saying KO felt like old Sonic cartoons where Ian thinks the mistakes are "charming" not realizing we're laughing at them, not with them like Ren & Stimpy.

Huh.

Just because someone had a job doesn't mean they're wise. It's more like bad practice than "animation philosophy".

Yes. Now stop bitching and go watch some The Sameface House.

Changing styles dramatically works best if it's:

>Consistent (Space Dandy, which stays the "change art" for the entirety of an episode)
>One-offs (Comic books that change artists across stories)

OK is sometimes on-model and sometimes drawn weird within seconds of each other. I'd prefer it if it was like the shorts where every episode is slightly different, rather than every shot is different.

Hey Ian, nice to see you browse Sup Forums

I mean I get where he's coming from, and Ian's a cool dude, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

On model
Is this on model charlie brown or on model athf?

Models don't even exist in OK KO

This

I want to say I drew that but I honestly can't remember

its only a matter of tie before this becomes his cannon design

Hmm to an extent.

Obviously for cartoony shows, the design of a character can allowed to change greatly for a scene/gag

However, characters can be recognizable to an absurd degree even if you remove or modify many parts of their design.

Stuff like the "Sanic" pic or even OP's pic are still recognizable but if they were to be in a show and not being used deliberately for a quick gag I dont think anyone would argue it would be good considering how far it strays from the initial design of the character.

I get what Ian and Kent mean by the quote.but its vagueness and broadness leads to unfortunate implications that may or may not be true about their work ethic.

fucking psycho jenny up in here

It's a great mindset when used by Competent Intelligent animators. I believe the quote originated on the AOSTH Robotnik model sheet, and that show did it right. Recent good examples of it would mostly be anime series, such as Kill la Kill.

Steven Universe and OK KO are both dreadful examples of it. In SU it has resulted in bizarre inconsistent height warping(compare with Kill La Kill, where the only character with fluctuating height was Gamagoori, this device being used as an intentional gag where he would always appear huge in every scene, but he would never appear smaller than he should be). In OK KO it's both overused, and used poorly, and just results in the show being difficult to watch.

Was pic related foreshadowing all along?

If Dobson agrees with you its probably not right.

I'll be damned if I let you use that kind of fallacy here user, Dobson is shit but you can't use him to fuel your own agenda.

I'll be damned if I care about what you think when you start a thread with a tweet, asking "is he right?"

Dobson doesnt know shit about su,he attributed the height and model inconsistency to the Korean animation studios,when in reality it's a matter of the show runners not being strict enough with there boarders,and allowing it to happen.

How does he know they arent just standing on a box?

KLK was shit though.

I really can't understand why he keeps making big """statement""" tweets like these when they always ALWAYS blow up in his face because of how fucking detached he is from common sense.

Second Era gems aren't as naturally stable as First Era gems. Peridot's limb enhancers were what allowed her to keep a consistent form and without them a horrible autistic cancer is wreaking havoc on her body and mind, causing her to slowly degenerate. Left unchecked, the gems will eventually be forced to take her out behind the temple and put her down.

I littererly would not know they are the same character.

What a retard. They're standing on a box/step or something.

kek

it feels like the second picture is a parody

Yeah, sure. I'm not an artist, but as long as Peridot doesn't look like a steaming pile of shit, I'm good.

but she does, even when she is 'on model", so I don't really give a shit about her either way.

Because strawmanning and arguing against people who call him out is literally his only form of socializing. He did a comic about how being "off-model" is just something that should be normal or some stupid shit like that.

user, there was a greentext of Peridot's steady degenerative decline, until she was just a tiny head that could only spout memes before disintegrating into nothing. Please tell me you have it.

Honestly they probably should have had more variety of doctor race wise.

Characters changing height in shots where their feet are cut off are normal. It's so you don't have weird compositions and because you can't see the ground, you're able to cheat it a bit and get away with it without being noticable. This is very common practice when it comes to staging, no different than forced perspective.

It's when you see the character in full and they change FROM SHOT TO SHOT OF ONE ANOTHER that it's a problem.

you shut your whore mouth.

Reminds me of pic related.

What is this

Reminder about this comic

That must be because the actual comic shops were being too toxic to shop at.

I should re-edit that to say 25 percent actually because that's more what it looks like now that I'm looking at it

Honestly, considering this is Dobson, I'm less inclined to believe that this was deliberate and more that he's a fucking moron

I wish Dobson would fuck off for once.

You know it's true. It was obnoxious and annoying. Only "ironic" weebs like it.

Not really, that's like saying only ironic weebs liked TTGL.

>pale nerd in dark room hisses at light

what a hot, fresh joke

whether you like the show or not does change the fact that it does off model well

That can't be fucking real.

i can forsee the "on model" thing bleeding right into copyright protection and stuff.

I mean while we are on the subject, are artists allowed to claim work as their own if they modify an existing character?

"On model" controversy really only matter in terms of intellectual property and trade mark.
SO either any and all character models based off of steven universe could get a DMCA
or none of them do becuase the creator can't be arsed to really "stay on model"

i really want to see this. if nobody has it, maybe its easily findable in the archive?

Cartoons can look different, quit making threads about this autism

Not even the same comparison. These are three different styles by different production crews who stayed consistent with their art changes. This isn't the same character in a 5-minute shot back-to-back.

this is like comparing ninja turtles cartoons over the years, you're trying to hard

Why do people who don't understand what being off model is feel the need to chime in?

>a classic cartoon character changes look over the course of 7-10 years, all hand drawn
>a modern cartoon character can barely maintain the same look over the course of a scene, computer drawn

what the fuck is wrong with modern animators.

>Convention caused by medium limitations is the same as people just being lazy
Comparing apples to oranges, you big blue dumbass

this scene right here is how you do off model RIGHT.

it conveys incredibly the immense presence and power Satsuki has over Ryuko in this instance. Showing the sheer gap in power she has currently.

Does she even have the same fucking hairstyle in those pictures.

>modern animators.
It's only two shows.

Thanks doc
(I see what you did there)

At one point, Adventure Time was "just one show" and now it's influence is fucking inescapable.

upside down Hulk?

Donatello?

its only going to get worse senpai.

wait a minute... I recognize this on-model reference!

i mean the og 79' series is pretty rough around the edges, but goddamn...

I get that Ian wants his show to look like shitty old low budget cartoons but it sucks that he's teaching a new generation of artists that they don't need to try.

Compare his blase style to King of the Hill's bible.

imgur.com/a/PiJLk

Do animators not do characters sheets anymore and base character heights for scenes on that anymore? I never watched Steven Universe. Explain are they just being lazy or do they not care about constitency?

I remember wanting to get into animation as a kid because it always looked really impressive to me. Now I see a lot of young artists mimicking simplistic art styles and wanting to get into storyboarding because it looks easy.

It's really sad.

>imgur.com/a/PiJLk
thanks for this user i've been looking for this shit all over the place

There is the way things are, and the way things ought to be. He's right about the way things are, but everyone's entitled to their opinion of how things ought to be. Even non-animators.

What's embarrassing is that the pro-SU/pro-off model contingent seems to believe that there is no difference between what is done intentionally and what is the result of low skill or a lack of standards. A show like Unikitty is more exaggerated and goes off model more than SU, but it's always deliberately designed and never comes across as mistakes.

Those who wish to defend Ian's creative decisions can do so all they want, that's perfectly fine. Just don't pretend as if people can't tell the difference. It's insulting.

loved this response twitter.com/trashpurrincess/status/959547916942589952

Steven Universe is a "Board driven" show, in that the storyboard artists are also functionally the writers of the episode. To that end, the animation studio they use is told to follow each storyboard artists particular style, so that their visual signature is noticeable. It's very much "so and so wrote this ep, so it should look like they drew it too"

Comparing a puppet to a drawing, they are literally on seperate planes of existence, what the fuck lmao

>if you can recognize the character then it's on model

Interesting

scribd.com/document/14686737/How-to-Draw-Adventure-Time

Even adventure time had limits

Is this what it's like to not have any pride in your craft?

Oh I agree it will be a slippery slope but the problem is not modern animators. It's 5 years from now animators.

When they want a model sheet they just look at Google images for a picture of the character.

Rebecca Sugar gives too much freedom to let each boarder's style shine through or whatever. If a boarder draws something really shitty (such as consistently massive heads on all characters) they never seem to get critiqued at all. It's just considered part of their style. The characters also don't have canon heights. They supposedly have rules about their heights relative to each other but even that is clearly not followed.

> if you can recognize the character, its 'on model'

"On-Model"

its a lack of standards in not wanting to seem like stifiling creativity. indvidual style is great, but some of the boarders have legit flaws and none are addressed thats the problem here.

So by this logic this:

B^U

Is also on model?

No.
That doesn't mean going off model is bad, or even that the way OK K.O. does it is wrong (most of the time), but it's patently not correct. It dilutes the term on model into simply recognizable.

I'm sure neither of them actually thinks that, it just exaggeration to express their rather free philosophy on character design.

Nice peridot guy

Kek

/\

/ \

BEHOLD, A GEM.