Wanted to start reading Nietzsche, is Beyond Good and Evil a good start...

Wanted to start reading Nietzsche, is Beyond Good and Evil a good start? Is there a suggested prerequisite to reading him?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RAuu-FuptKk
amazon.com/Gay-Science-Prelude-Rhymes-Appendix/dp/0394719859/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479267593&sr=8-1&keywords=gay science
amazon.com/Nietzsche-Philosopher-Psychologist-Antichrist-Princeton/dp/0691160260/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1479267678&sr=1-10
youtube.com/watch?v=MCOw0eJ84d8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=RAuu-FuptKk

Prepare to read one long REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE at the world of philosophy.

Basically a guy who just rejected everything and wanted to be an individual.

and no prerequisites really. not really. We live in the golden age of information and readin Nietzsche. You might want to brush up on the contemporary German philosophers like Schopenhauer and Kant. Unlike Hegel Nietzsche is fairly coherent.

Save your time and don't. You'll just wind up confused and hating yourself like he did.

You hate yourself.

What if I already hate myself?

The problem with Nietzsche is that he's too liberal. He's still more conservative that the lieberals on this board, though. The fucking libshits are going gaga over the election of some lieberal and his poofter.

>Read all of Nietzsche's books
>Nietzsche concludes that even he himself is not a nihilist

Your life will stay more or less the same, except for the time you wasted reading him.

I would not start with that one, I would start with Gay Science. Gay Science:
-more fun to read
-wide variety of topics
-short aphorisms that can be digested one or a few at a time, instead of a complex and evolving thesis as in BGE

Don't listen to this retard.

Neitzsche's entire purpose was to find an alternative to Nihilism, that's the whole point of his philosophy.

>We live in the golden age of information and readin Nietzsche

Fucking hit post too early. Point is, He isn't difficult to read anymore. Read up on the multiple interpretations of him and go from there, otherwise just sitting down and reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra or Beyond Good and Evil is not difficult.

Just The Greeks, Schopenhauer, Carlyle, the utilitarians, and basic knowledge of history tbqh

Pretty unoriginal stuff though. You should read Emerson, la Rochefoucauld, and Carlyle instead of him.

He never was difficult. He has the unsubtle style of a German blockhead.
Still entertaining tho

For related reading, I would make sure you get the Walter Kauffman translations of any of his books and read all the footnotes in them.

Kauffman also has a book where he summarizes Neitzsche's philosophy which would be a good idea to read. I say this only because Neitzsche's writings are kind of cryptic (on purpose) and it is easy to completely misunderstand what he is saying

sounds like a better start i had that one in mind as well

I would start with "Human All Too Human" as a starter. Skip the beginning, go straight to the aphorisms.

Once you get a feel for him, then go to Beyond Good and Evil

>Bowden never got to experience 2016
I wonder what he would have thought of Trump.

>I say this only because Neitzsche's writings are kind of cryptic
Nigger what? That's only the aphorisms, and even most of those are obvious

That's the problem. He should have recognized that Nihilism is nonsense for the weak libshits right away and just outright stated that the only thing that matters is strength. He was too merciful towards the weak, perhaps even giving them hope that one day deluded libshits could be strong.

Antikrist and Gay Science are the best starting points.

His later works get a little too metaphorical.

Yeah, for sure. Get this version specifically its under $10:
amazon.com/Gay-Science-Prelude-Rhymes-Appendix/dp/0394719859/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479267593&sr=8-1&keywords=gay science

I haven't read this, but it looks good if you want a summary. I took a class on Neitzsche and have been reading him for years so I feel I know what I'm talking about:

amazon.com/Nietzsche-Philosopher-Psychologist-Antichrist-Princeton/dp/0691160260/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1479267678&sr=1-10

There's a lot more to it than "the only thing that matters is strength"

Don't bother reading any of his works.
Just read a summary of his philosophies by other authors.

He was a massive fedora-lord whose gimmick was writing stuff like it was an ancient epic poem or biblical text.

Everything he wrote had to be flowery and overdramatic.

Which makes his work good for quotes for the start of your novel or movie, but otherwise tiring to read.

There is a reason why so many angsty teens looking for an identity are drawn to him

Nietzsche literally predicted the state the west is now in and his master/slave morality and perspectivism are so spot on it hurts.

Also props for trying to fill the void left by christianity with his overman ideal, and the eternal recurrence is a great tool for strong individuals.

Those are the nonsensical lieberal parts. The only thing that matters is being the strongest. Anything else is degeneracy.

this guy gets it

Like what specifically?

The problem with what you are saying is Neitzsche wasn't liberal or conservative, he wasn't political at all

>Nietzsche literally predicted
It was already happening in his time.
Master/Slave morality was a good dichotomy, though. I'll give him that

Ya. You should read every philosopher of note up to him, then him.

Definitely a European Nationalist.

I disagree. The very notion that the strong are bound by morality and need to be free of it is incorrect. This is a very liberal notion that one can change their predetermined status. If one ever feels any sense of morality, then they are weak and can never not be weak. There is no freeing oneself from weakness. There is only the strongest. Once a libshit, always a libshit.

He is literally the most fedorable philosopher out there:
>an agressive atheist
>mentally ill
>treated his own writings as a revelation an a product of his genius
>had trouble in relationships with women
>didn't fall into the standards of his own teachings

the last point is what concerns me most, was he really that out of touch with what he was saying or is that an exaggeration?

here's a video that outlines Nietzsche generally as a thinker, as well as parsing the meaning of just one paragraph of Beyond Good and Evil:
youtube.com/watch?v=MCOw0eJ84d8
one thing this professor mentions is that when reading something he underlines something of value, folds back a page to find something that was of value. you can't do that with Nietzsche, because you end up underlining practically everything on every page. I started reading Nietzsche with the Birth of Tragedy, and I ended up underlining about a quarter of the book.

neat i was watching his psychology lecture the other day

my connection to him is that he's been appearing on an Ontario public affairs TV show for years (The Agenda with Steve Paikin)
but only in the last few years have I been really paying attention to him through those lectures. I've already watched both the Maps of Meaning and Personality lectures. he ties so much from evolutionary psychology, to comparative mythology, to modern personality theory together in ways that they seem to nest within each other in a coherent way.