This was originally "Robotnic"

>this was originally "Robotnic"

What the hay, man

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cKHwaV8eAGE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

maleFATcent

Glad they went with the ugly mustached fat man look. So much more expression to be had.

I still don't understand it, the games were out before the show, how did they get that out of it?

This was from the SatAM guys. It wasn't up to them what Robotnik actually looked like.

doesn't even look like a robot so I glad they did not follow.

The SatAM staff was all about the "dark and edgy" shit and so they thought their Robotnik was better than the actual canon one. SEGA likely forced them to at least partially adhere to the proper design.

They might have just been spitballing. But also, keep in mind animation studios didn't take games very seriously back then, because video games were just "toys for children" and an animation studio are big shots working in an "INDUSTRY."

Best version.

I actually really like that design. Just change the name and you've got a decent villain at your disposal.

I'm glad they didn't go with this, but it's still kind of a neat design Tbh

Meme version that's only enjoyed by Youtube Poopers. He's shit.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a Don Bluth villain that more or less looks like that already.

That's fucking blasphemy. Did you think shitting on Long John Baldry would win you any anti-meme points, you contrarian fuck?

I don't know, why does every character in Captain N look like some generic abortion? People didn't give a shit.

Pretty sure they were making a different show, and then the Sonic licence opportunity came along, they slapped the name "Dr. Robotnic" on some concept art, and called it a day before pitching.

This has gotta be the reason, why else would there be 2 Sonic cartoons with completely different tones running at exactly the same time? It was a rush job that actually succeeded.

There's also this one.

Presumably the first was when they were given a more generic evil conqueror description while this one was prompted by a mention of technology.

Yeah, for further examples, look at the designs for Mega Man and Simon Belmont in Captain N which was just a few years earlier.

I thought I remember hearing the Captain N crew weren't provided a copy of the game, or something. Wouldn't surprise me.

>What the hay
fuck off ponyfag

>we'll never have an intimidating Robotnik like from SaTam or the early comics
>going to have to endure funny meme Adventure design Eggman until doomsday
I really hate to jerk off Satam even more but god damn do I hate his Adventure design

>This has gotta be the reason, why else would there be 2 Sonic cartoons with completely different tones running at exactly the same time? It was a rush job that actually succeeded.

ABC wanted a more action oriented show than what DiC originally had planned. Rather than just scrap all of their earlier work, DiC just used the original pitch for a syndicated show and made another show to ABC's specifications.

I've always found it charming, personally.

The proper way to do Robotnik is a mix of silly and threatening

>Implying Eggman was ever serious outside of SatAM
His classic look was specifically designed to look like a walrus. If anything, the military jacket is a step up.
Also, in the early comics, he was basically AOSTH Robotnik with SATAM Robotnik's look.

Second cutest Tails design t b h
what is even the general consensus on this show anyway? On almost every other site both Adventures and Satam are well-liked enough but here whenever Satam and the characters are brought up, it leads to angry responses and shitposting.

Sega mandated the lighter tone but SATAM was the more popular show so Archie went with the blend of looks and personality as a compromise which was later dropped so that it could move closer to the look and feel of the show.

By that point, Sega had pretty much stopped caring and wouldn't really pay attention again to what Archie was doing for a long time.

>look at the designs for Mega Man and Simon Belmont in Captain N which was just a few years earlier.

hat's probably more due to being given screenshots of sprites to work off of and little to no promo art.

It's Sup Forums, so people feel the need to be contrarian much more vocally

I blame the Nostalgia Critic review that totally shit on AOSTH and totally praised SATAM, Sup Forums hate Doug, Sup Forums disagree. Hell there was a nostalgia thread for Felix the Cat the Movie here not long ago and that movie was a slop of shit

Early comic Robotnik was a goofball. Satams Robotnik is more based on Robo-Robotnik from the comics

First cutest better be OG Tails, this boy is good.

He is

Captain N designs are almost universally based on either an artist having to interpret a blurry video game sprite from a CRT themselves, from some vague description, or other things.

For some examples:
- Kid Icarus has deformed proportions because his sprite is three heads tall. His animation model follows suit.
- "Doc Robot" appears in a Season 3 Megaman episode. However, with no references provided beyond a name (itself a mistranslation of "Dokuro Robot"), the robot is drawn as a mustachioed lab coat wearing "doctor" robot.
- Bayou Billy was actually originally drawn as a caricature of one of the staffers. Said staffer didn't enjoy the humor and instead had him redesigned into a Crocodile Dundee parody- partly due to Bayou Billy being a game with gators in it, and partially because the artist who made the caricature was Australian and hated Crocodile Dundee.

There's this stigma that SatAM is remembered much fonder than it deserves. And having recently rewatched some of it... yeah. Yeah it is definitely a rose-tinted goggles effect.

It's not COMPLETE shit, and people kind of overcompensate. But it's also not great.

>Satams Robotnik is more based on Robo-Robotnik from the comics
You have no idea what you are talking about. SatAM was in production BEFORE the comic. They took the designs of Sally and the others FROM SatAM's art bible.

>Original Western design
>No mustache
fuck off
i'm glad that was canned

Hence the
>See? We totally didn't color Sally wrong! There's a canon explanation!

That design is still my favorite Robotnik one, though I'm fond of all of them. I feel it hits just the right median of buffoonish mad scientist that you feel chilled by in the moments where he acts with genuine sadism and menace.

Not like there's a bad Tails. Even his Boom design is just "Tails with goggles" and not a radical departure.

Egg Man had his moments.

Now that we've seen Tyson's serious Sonic animation in Mania, I want to see him do closer to this. Or a happy middleground, like the Mega Drive comic, animated.

That's just an inch or two off of Treasure Planet Silver right there.

Why did the american design of tails looked like he had Down Syndrome, specially after the japanese design look neat enough.

Tails never ever gets too changed because Tails is in secret their 99% foolproof Everlastâ„¢ made character design. Sonic has to change with the times, but Tails got Second Sidekick Mascot right the first time, and thus every time since.

I almost want to see them try, but I know that's a dangerous sentiment.

Where's the one where Eggman's enjoying a nice sadistic talk with Lien-Da about "the game"?

Only in stock art and AOSTH where he was shit brown. He looked good on the Sonic 2 box art. I fucking hated pic related as a kid because I knew the Japanese design was superior.
I have always maintained that the sole reason Sonic has survived all the shit he's been through is because his design is so perfect and iconic that nobody truly ever wants to see him go away. Tails falls under that. He is a perfect boy and a great design.

Even that Tails is as far a departure as it goes. Much darker color, different shape, same fundament. Tails is an idiotically solid design for the setting and his one gimmick is brilliant. The hedgehog would have been struggling a lot harder without the fox and/or only Knuckles across his bizarre career since Sonic 2.

little fuck is furry el dorado when it comes to safe saleable lifetime designs

>have always maintained that the sole reason Sonic has survived all the shit he's been through is because his design is so perfect
You also have to factor that the company that owned him started out fucking rich and hasn't died off. When someone else has to consider paying to use a franchise, things get more shaky.

>or the early comics
You're literally a nostalgiafag.

4/5 of his pre-Eggman appearances were goofball shenanigans. The stories where he wasn't goofy were almost all complete shit.

Sorry, didn't post AOSTH to shit on that Tails, though I see now why it would seem that way.

No it is a kind of shitty take on him. But that's the thing, it still works even looking like a knock off.

Eh, I don't see it that way. He's designed that way to emote like a western cartoon. Tails' game iteration isn't designed for the same dramatic facial expressions AOSTH calls for.

I love the SatAM characters (well, most of them), but the show is straight up garbage. It's as safe and boring as an adventure serial can get and barely even uses its cast. There's about 3 good episodes, and one of them is the pilot.

But it doesn't matter how many times we discuss how jacked the writing is, we'll always have cocks like
try to pretend it's contrarianism.

>It's as safe and boring as an adventure serial can get
It was a show for 5 year old kids....not the edgy furries the franchise would later become known for appealing to

I meant in terms of maintaining a strong fan base (even beyond the weirdos) throughout all the years. Like I even know people who don't care for the games anymore still like Sonic.
The least they could've done was made him orange. Foxes are not brown, and blue and brown looks awful. FFS, blue and orange are complimentary, why change it, AOSTH?

>It was a show for 5 year old kids
So was AoStH. At least they tried to have a little fun with it.

The fact that Antoine was yellow must confuse you further.

Foxes can be pretty brown, though they tend to be closer to red in the most stereotypical cases. Either way, if you're going with biological facts, brown looks closer to what they are in reality than yellow. I think they might have just assumed about his coloration, since "SONIC = BLUE" is the thing Sega really bothered to drive home with them.

Lastly, keep in mind Knuckles hadn't happened yet, so establishing Tails as a primary color wasn't a priority.

The fact that Antoine was allowed on missions and Tails wasn't was more confusing to me. Yeah, let's leave the useful flying guy at home because he's too young, and take the fucking pussy doormat who will compromise the mission with us. And then Dulcy was introduced and further undermined Tails' ability.
In short, fuck SatAM. It's s good show but it shafted my favorite character. It's like if the Mario cartoons replaced Luigi with Mario's wacky Brooklyn friend "Ricky" or something.

Lol what? Does anybody actually want him to be genuinely threatening? Him being a comedic villain is why he is so good. He is one of the best comedic villains.

Maybe they just figured Tails was already a major focus in AOSTH? Nah, that's giving them too much credit. I'm pretty sure they were thinking "fuck canon, we want to do our own thing."

>Does anybody actually want him to be genuinely threatening?
Read the comics sometime. Or at the very least, some of the highlights that regularly get posted. Robotnik has been done well as "intimidating." Or hell, play Sonic Adventure 2. He was legitimately menacing at times, in a good way.

At least it's better than Sonic "fuck all canon, he's a prince with siblings now and Tails is nowhere" Underground. Why the fuck did that get green lit, Sonix Adventure was out by then. Should've made a cartoon around that.

When it comes to "Underground," I am not about to even attempt to be devil's advocate.

>So was AoStH. At least they tried to have a little fun with it.

So you're a "funfag" huh. I'm not telling you you can't enjoy your Looney Tunes rip off, but just know you "funfags" are as bad as the lorefags you fucks always rally against.

>literally anything is acceptable as good as long as it's stupid, cause its just fun!

>Shitting on Eggman's modern design

>Sonix Adventure was out by then. Should've made a cartoon around that.
They kind of did with Sonic X, but that was just an adaption.
AoStH>Satam imo

>Meme villain

I think both are great interpretations of what they set out to do. Their scenes with Scratch, Grounder and Snively were always the highlight of both shows

Boom Eggman is great, he looks so classy.

>AoStH>Satam imo

Well you can certainly have that opinion, though I don't agree with it. I grew up watching AOSTH, it was "my" Sonic show and I literally never knew SATAM existed until I was older. I liked AOSTH as a kid but rewatching it as an adult, I just saw it as a pretty vapid show that doesn't even do slapstick well like Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry, I get what the show was trying to be I just don't think it succeeded...the main trait of it is comedy, and to me it's just not funny like 8 times out of 10. SATAM however I felt was a perfectly acceptable show for the year it came out in, sure it's nothing spectacular especially compared to shows that have come out since then, but I see absolutely nothing really wrong with it, something I can't say about the other 90s Sonic shows.

To each their own, then.

AoStH only has fans because of the YT poops. Nobody gaves two shits for the series before the whole PINGAS thing blew up.

Or they actually just find the show decent and like the Looney Tunes-esque slapstick. I didn't grew up with it, and while I did found out about the show BECAUSE of YTP, I happened to like it for what it's trying to be: a light=hearted slapstick cartoon based on Sonic.

Except the slapstick is nothing but trying to be like Loony Toons with none of the charm. Animaniacs did slapstick better than AoStH did.

Why was his eyes black tho?

because official artwork

He got punched in the face

Then why red pupils?

To show where exactly he's looking.

There's a difference between defined evilness and plot-demanded evilness. He always set his goals first, not to be evil for sake of "mwahaha". Why is Eggman comedic in Colors? Because he have hit his major goal already: his own theme park.

Sure, we've seen a lot of Animaniacs revivals for the last twenty years, so good they were. As for Looney Tunes, they caught up with the times at least.

I get the feeling they was probably working on an original show concept before one of the higher ups at DIC noticed it had some basic superficial similarities to Sonic and they decided to just retool it into another Sonic show since they were already working on AOSTH. That was probably drawn by a guy who didn't know jack shit about Sonic and then just slapped the name "Robotnic" on after hearing the news they got rebranded.

I dunno, I think he can look pretty cute sometimes. I kinda prefer the brown fur to yellow.

Americans thought Robotnick's glasses were his eyes

I'm glad Mania basically made it canon that Classic Buttnik is a giant fucking goofball, just like him.

youtube.com/watch?v=cKHwaV8eAGE

Captain N

He's my favorite Robotnik.

Don't be a fag.

>Loved Sonic since I was a kid
>Thought AoStH was great, still waiting for Scratch and Grounder to make a comeback
>Didn't watch much SatAM, but I didn't become a Sonic Comicfag until years later so it gets a pass
>Thought Underground was cool as shit, was pissed it got cancelled, owned several of the DVDs and wanted to collect them all
>The meme worthy robot baby episode made me cry
We all have skeletons in our closets

If Underground completely removed all of the god awful kids pop songs it would be passable as a average cartoon and not the worst thing to ever have the name Sonic on it.

It can't be coincidental that these look so much like Don Bluth designs.

Underground had a pretty rocking intro

>be SEGA of Japan
>design characters with western cartoons in mind
>western marketing turns them into bastardized versions of themselves (mohawk sonic, cone-headed botnik)
>people defend this

>be Sega of Japan
>design characters that are supposed to be easy for toddlers to draw
>upset when American marketing teams come up with designs more appealing for demographic of 12 year olds

>AoStH only has fans because of the YT poops.
Can we stop reciting this bullshit? Just because YTP exists doesn't retroactively mean the show doesn't stand alone. AOSTH is gold. Fuck the haters.

Considering Sonic has a bigger fanbase in the west to this very day I'd say SoA did a pretty good job of making the characters more marketable.