Please excuse my dear aunt Sally and suck my dick. it's 1

this

How the fuck is that 16?
BEDMAS

20/5(2*2)
20/5(4)
20/20
=1
And how can BOTH be correct? WTF is this shit.

>pol obsessed with digits
>pol arguing over basic maths
Kek

so which one is it ?

You're saying 20/5*(4) != 20/5*4 ?

Neither

i see we got some generatiion zers here

order of operations

Uhh.. you're doing BEDMAS wrong... You did multiplication before division...

20/5(2*2)
20/5(4)
4(4)

come on..

I don't know what the fuck I'm saying.
I did the math and showed my work. The answer is 1.

Someone show their work to get 16.

Kek dropped 33 to show that I'm right.

if it's 20/5(2*2) then
>20/5(4)
>20/20
>1

if it's (20/5)(2*2) then
>(4)(4)
>16

There is obviously a big difference between the two, and the problem is poorly written and doesn't indicate which it is. Overall, this is a pretty low quality shitpost.
>implying they even have education in portugal

your computer is drunk

This is correct.

The notation is shitty and it's important to teach kids how to clear it up.

What kind of stupid shit is this? Just add another parenthesis

The parentheses mean the 2*2 are solved before the rest of that side of the equation, so the full equation become 20/20 which equals 1

Common core is kikery designed to confuse and dumb down our kids

Brackets before division.

Source: Went to high school 30 years ago

Nice job setting up that projector

Order of operations:

First perform any calculations inside parentheses.
Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.
Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

Brackets are the first thing I did.. did you even read my post?

>mathematics is an opinion
>america education

nothing to see here, move along people

They can't even hang the posters on the wall straight.

wtf

Um...

Someone get microsoft mathematics that shit is always right.

review your pemdas bro

no
it goes left to right; so
20/5(2*2) = (20/5)(2*2)

Anybody who writes this ambiguously is retarded.

t. math major

This isn't Common Core anything. The way it's written, it's 16.

If you want the (2*2) to be in the denominator, you type out 20/[5(2*2)]

This is simply a problem of morons trying to over-complicate things.

>I cannot into mathematics
>my country's unis are so far below yankee schools that I feel inferior

Nothing to see here

We're trying to remove common core because it's bullshit, faggot

Following BEDMAS, the answer is 16. There is not argument.

tmw amerifats do 20/5 * 1/(2*2)
No wonder you almost elected Hillary...

distributive property dictates that 5(2x2) = 5x2 + 5x2

(You)

This

Now body in real mathematics or engineering cares about this shit. It's literally the "potaito, potaato" of the mathematical language. Only the plebs get worked up over shit like this.

But it's not "20/5*(4)", it's 20/5(4)

5(4) is a single number, you fucking moron, it's not a sum. It's not 5*4.

Fucking. This.

pemdas groups as per(md)(as), with mult/div and add/sub evaluating in left to right order.

it has never been mult. first, then div, or add first then sub. if you thought this, youre simply stupid.

>Relativism in basic math

I'm homeschooling my kids

It was made to end white privilege. One of the creators said this.
Watch the vid

youtube.com/watch?v=LQ8Nr3_2724

fucking newfags

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
ahahahahahaaha
hahaha
ha
woooooo
THAT'S where they were going with this. Oh man.
Heh.

For all the faggots saying the image in OP is correct, no. You're wrong.

BODMAS for starters, and anybody with any fucking braincells would interpret that as 20/(5(2*2))

If you see that as 2*2(5/2) you're honestly retarded.

I can't fucking believe I come on this site sometimes. Jesus Christ.

>this thread

This.

the kids never stood a chance...

didn't we already have this thread like a week ago? there were some pretty sensible explanations of the point of confusion there, seems pointless to rehash them again now

No it isn't you fucking faggot. If you want the 2*2 as the numerator, you put it on top. That's just simple fucking maths. Fuck me you lot are retarded as fuck I honestly can't even.

Can someone explain what the fuck common core is?

The way its written in the slide is the reason for the ambiguity, not because of the difference in method

If the (2x2) is included in the divisor alnog with the 5 then the answer is 1. If it is not the answer is 16.
Because this teacher was to lazy to present the problem in proper format that would eliminate this ambiguity she's now teaching utter bullshit

those that oppose common core are adults and older that spent school math learning and reciting 2+2 = 4, 4+4 =8. multiplication tables, etc

math is all fucking word problems, especially as you go further and further into education, trig, physics, etc

common core is a way for kids to begin early to come to the answer of a math problem using their brain instead of writing it all out in paper

i'm not sure I explained that well.

>not Woman+Woman and Man+Man

>5*4
>sum

>5*4 != 5(2*2)

That entirely depends on notation. Operators * and / have same priority. For that example on pic you must use brackets, else this notation is unspecified. There is also at least one * missing

No. It's really bad notation and would be grounds for rejection if you ever put it inside of a paper.

Matlab, Maple, and various other solvers will all shit out different answers if you use it.

what is PEMDAS?
Just solve it by applying every operation only to the number or parenthesis following it
I know this is bait but come the fuck on

Why would anyone interpret it that way?

usually you use a symbol like a * or a X to represent multiplying but it's also not uncommon for numbers beside parenthesis to be multiplied..

Everyone would interpret 5(2*2) as 5*(2*2) for example.

So following bedmas..

Brackets

20 / 5 (2 * 2) = 20 / 5 (4)

No E

Division

20 / 5 (4) = 4 (4)

Multiplication

4*4 = 16

Your facts aren't even relevant because the division comes before the multiplication. There are no parenthesis to do the multiplication first. Even if there was the division comes first.

So yeah you guys are idiots

t. literal highschool dropout

Why the fuck would the 2*2 be in the numerator? That wasn't even the original problem.

Stop trying to be some kind of intellectual and go brush your teeth, fucking bong.

P
E
MD
AS

is a better way of looking at it. When doing multiplication and division, as is the case here, you go from left to right:

So after you do the 2 * 2 in the parenthesis, you then do 20/5 to get four, then you multiply four and four.

wtf I hate math now

Looks like it's some retarded shit for literal fucking spastics. How anybody can get anything other than 1 from that is a joke and shows we need to beat the fuck out of kids.

This
/thread

>PhD in maths
>Any job I want
>Answer is 1

Checked and keked

Also, Jesus fucking shit what a load of trash, these are the people influencing our education? I sucked at math when I was in school but even I can see how needlessly convoluted and clearly incorrect common core math is

*4 != 5(2*2)
Yep, that's correct.

Just because they return the same answer doesn't mean they're identical calculations.

The answer is 1, 16 is the wrong answer, you will be precluded from any STEM profession for answering 16.

Maths teacher here (the highschool kind, in a country with proper education).

Division is defined as multiplication with the multiplicative inverse, e.g. " /5 " is read as " * (1/5) ", so without further parentheses the equation reads:

20 * (1/5) * (2 * 2) = 16

on a sidenote so I don't get handed shit for writing "1/5": the multiplicative inverse is properly defined like that (for real numbers):

Given a number a out of the real numbers, there exists another real number b, so: a * b = 1
b is called a's multiplicativ inverse number.

Multiplication and division goes left to right you fucking retards

>all these dumb niggers itt
its 1/5

It's a national teaching curricula standard which is the current failed attempt to get lagging schools to suck less while simultaneously hamstringing all of the above average schools by forcing them to teach their above average students in the same way that the helmet-wearing disappointments are.

Ahem.

It's a teaching standard. Pic unrelated.

>PhD in maths
>I can be anything I want
>Answer is 16

Here's the problem
20 20
--- x 4. Or. -----
5 5x4
You can't tell because it's presented retarded. Please disregard if I'm wrong I'm only a poor tradie

These guys are right and anyone else is being retarded or just baiting.

Just plug the equation into a calculator if you aren't smart enough to get it and you will get your answer.

Common core is better, goyim!
Here's my absolutely non-strawman comic to prove that, complete with le rage faces!

Bad notation aside, any calculator would solve the problem as if the multiplication was outside the division.

I agree that that's a horrible way to write out the problem though.

20/5(2*2)=x
20x/9x^2
-9x^2+20x=0
Quadratic equation
x1=1
x2=16

both answers are correct

Nobody uses that fucking division symbol.

Why are they showing this to children?
They're fucking with their minds

fpbp

are you saying the math problem in the OP image isn't written in an ambiguous and unclear manner?

because you can hold that opinion, but it makes your entire country look retarded.

Fuck I just got triforced
The point is, you can't tell if the four is divided along with the five or separated from the division

ITT American does not know Dutch universities are ranked some of the highest and most influential on the planet.

>Your facts aren't even relevant because the division comes before the multiplication
>comes before

By "comes before" do you mean "physically to the left"?

Because that isn't how calculation is done. 5 (4) is 20, it doesn't "equal" 20, IT IS 20.

>mfw I hate common core but am smart enough to know the answer is 16

Are you fucking retarded?

20/5(2*2)=20/5(4)=20/(5*4)=20/20=1

What are you even talking about? I said *if* you wanted (2*2) as the numerator it would be at the beginning... If.

t. Actual intellectual
t. Actual Aeronautical Engineer PhD
t. Got pretty decent teeth and brushed them about 4 minutes ago

Here's the real answer: Math is a social construct, and fuck the system for judging me, for not specifying which mathematical function I do first, then criticizing me for it and acting like I'm """wrong""" if I don't come up with the answer they wanted me to. They act like some stupid little kid who tells you one of those impossible riddles, then acts like you're really stupid like they "owned" you when you don't get the right answer.

20 / 5 = 4
2 x 2 = 4
4 x 4 = 16

or

2 x 2 = 4
5 x 4 = 20
20 / 20 = 1

I did all the math right in both scenarios, but nooo. That doesn't matter. What really matters is that they didn't specify the order of operations, and then criticized me on a 50/50 chance that I come up with the right answer.

I would argue that the only math that really matters, is math that can be applied to reality. Nobody needs to know the velocity of a ball being thrown or anything stupid like that. If you're constructing a building or something, THEN you need to worry about math. THEN you can get picky about the order of operations, and that's a scenario where it's always clear, and you don't have some smartass dyke math teacher bitching in your ear and acting all "witty" when she knows the order of operations and you don't. Order of operations is basically just a way they can mark your answer wrong just because they don't like you, even if you do all the math right.

This. Math can be confusing and it's important to ensure clarity by liberal use of parentheses and also using fraction bars instead of division signs.

did you niggers not learn the order of operations? parenthesis and adjacent first

But 20/5(4) != 20/(5*4)

>both answers are equally correct
(((Common core))) is basically the SJW snowflake version of math
It's 16 because you need to move left to right. 20/5*(4). PEMDAS makes mult and div equal in terms of steps, so since div is first that must be done first

Better hit the floss and listerine while you're at it, bongulate.

You literally just added brackets from out of nowhere

You can't just magically add brackets that don't exist to equations

It's 1

I truly cannot believe some people are as retarded as this.

You read the equation left to right, not right to left you Chinese Vancouverite.

>20/5(2*2)=20/5(4)=20/(5*4)=20/20=1

Retard

20/5(4)=20/5*4=4*4=16

Common core is an attempt at nationalizing math standards rather than letting individual states or districts do it. It was a good idea but they fucked it up royally because it mandates how teachers have to teach and how students have to learn.
It teaches methods for doing math that, at best, are designed for retards, and at worst always yield a wrong result.
My younger brother is in high school right now and every time I try to help him with his math homework he says he already knows the answer but can't do the work because the methods he has to use (or else the question is marked wrong) don't make any fucking sense to him.
This is anecdotal of course but common core pisses me off to no end because It makes my little brother and millions of other kids suffer needlessly and actually harms their education.
Oh and they test every student on everything at the end of every year to evaluate the teachers so teachers focus only on whats on the test, meaning parts of the curricula just get dropped. Also the tests are really shittily designed; some years the average grade is 90% some years its 45%.
Its a fucking abomination