Why are there no sports based cartoons like in Japan...

Why are there no sports based cartoons like in Japan, especially given America's seemingly more exuberant love of certain sports like Baseball and Football? No Boxing, wrestling or anything. Sure you've got individual episodes and specials in certain shows but no show CENTERED around em.

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/n0ly
archive.org/details/BaseballBugs_553
m.youtube.com/channel/UCuAEdgSJdVTaFd_JIHwlQJg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Tsubasa
youtube.com/watch?v=D1Q3uX6os3o
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>what is NFL Rush Zone

If kids like sport they are told to play them.

Oh right I fucking forgot about it since its on Nicktoons, and that channel currently sucks most of the time....is that any good?

2real for cartoons and requires continuity. There aren't even many live action shows about sports in America, for some reason.

We make movies about sports, not cartoons.

its stupid cause a sports show is so easy to make fun to watch, since you can directly control how clenching and close cutting a team winning or losing is for he audience. You can even go to a wacky side of things and some highly improbable or just plain impossible play occur that just simply looks really fucking cool and amazing.

Its odd I hate watching Real sports but I love watching all those sports anime. Id love to see American take on it.

Fuck Ill even take a show from the perspective of the manager.

man fuck that, I want more than 90 to 140 minutes of content

I love how here there are a shit ton of live action shows with heavy continuity, but barely any animated shows with it. More reason we need beat the shit out of the industry for making the general consensus think all animation is kiddie shit

Children's animation can have continuity. I'm not sure why there is such an aversion to it in the states.

Animation is a bad medium for sports drama. What makes athletes interesting is that they're people. So you can't use a stylized art direction because nobody will care when amorphous blobs tackle eacher and if you go full-tilt Archer style, you may as well have done live action.

Everyone who matters in the industry, shits all over it thinking its just for kids.

mucha lucha

I dont give a shit about the athletes, I care about the sport.

Japan's been successfully doing them since the 1960s, and in a story it's the characters and their struggles you care about. Sports isn't any different from anything else in that regard.

This is an example of how much you can do with the camera and choreography etc. compared to real life, or even live action drama:
streamable.com/n0ly

How about Nascar?

That mexicans.

You are hilariously wrong. Sports manga is a hugely successful genre and there have been dozens of successful anime adaptations made for a wide variety of sports: basketball, baseball, rugby, tennis, soccer, even American football has notable manga and anime for it. Many people watch sports just for the thrill of the game, they don't particularly care about the teams or players.

damn what was that, I know Ive seen it here and there before but now I really want to watch the rest of that.

that was pretty fuckig hype. I dont even fucking care too much about real life volleyball.

>retarded Americans who never even try to look at art from other countries

Pretty sure it is haikyuu

This is the stupidest goddamn thing I've read in weeks.

There's plenty of sports I don;t give a shit about IRL that a comic version managed to make engrossing and entertaining. I sure as hell didn't care about boxing or baseball before Ippo or Rookies, and I still don't outside of those comics.

Sports requires some level of animation, consistent animation. As in there's going to be action every episode and not bean-faced monstrosities talking to one another for five minutes. Even if that action is just training.

Consistency is probably too tall of an order to give to modern cartoon studios.

All the sports here are run by leagues and leagues give explicit permission to use their IP and what it's used on. It's why we used to have dozens of football and baseball games every year, but then it became only one football/baseball/hockey/etc game.

If it doesn't have a licensed tie-in, it would probably be a pretty tough sell in front of an executive board. Remember when Mighty Ducks tried to be a sports cartoon? Remember what it actually ended up being because of corporate meddling?

This just reminds me how much I want a hockey sports manga because I'm pretty sure Japan doesn't give a fuck about that.

I prefer sports series that aren't really focused on sports. Like pic related

Currently watching cool running now

I think it's a cultural thing. Say what you will about manga and anime, but one big difference between the US and Japan is that the Japanese appreciate earnestness and sincerity. They can unironically enjoy sports shows where the focus is on trying hard, doing your best, and teamwork.

I think American culture has leaned into cynicism too much and we can't take that seriously. We have to throw in jokes and laugh at it.

I miss when sports game could be wacky and not super realistic...Im fine if they are still there since that has its niche of fans and shit but give me back a few games now and then with super fucking slam dunks and big head mode and the ability to kill people and the ref in football games.

Easily solved by focusing on high school sports, which is what manga does anyway. Just have the focus be a fake highschool's baseball team or whatever.

>This is a person who has not once watched in length ANY sports anime.

I wish Power Rangers would have an NFL themed season

but they just use super sentai costumes so it'd never happen

USA think Animated = For Kids

Mutant League Football and Hockey were too beautiful for this ugly world.

watching sports is for kids too
don't know why they keep advertising beer

Even with that restriction you can still do sports shows. Do a show about a Little League team, for example.

This

man....fuck my country sometimes...I hate how people are so "uggh this is STUPID." meanwhile the minions are a fucking financial success.

We had this show for baseball. I think season 2 focused more on the baseball element, but that season is lost media.

To be fairly honest, I would think that any Sport program INTERRUPTING cartoon airing time would make kids hate sport.

Would a cartoon version of little giants or the sandlot work

This, unironically.
We couldn't have a show about a team trying to work together. They would have to be goofballs, all slack off and do stupid shit, make fun of the people who are "tryhards" and then win in the end anyway. Or don't. Because that shit is for losers.

Or worse, it's one of those endings where they lose at the task but that's okay because it was a moral victory and everyone learned something that day.

at least from what i've seen (hurricanes, supa strikas) it's hard to make a cartoon about team sports that it's hard to make the protags lose.

even the heavy gear's high tech setting (team battles on mechs), the only rival team only got like 2 legit wins and one of them was for a joke award.

There two easy ways to do this
>their first game
>they get cocky

I love how people always act like they can speak for a whole country that they probably never visited

I'm flattered that you loved my comment. I didn't claim to speak for a whole country, though I have lived and worked in both. Just my own observations from my experiences.

Americans definitely don't like earnestness. It's almost seen as a weakness to be too sincere we assume such a person is naive or even stupid. Japan doesn't really have this vein of ironic cynicism IME.

Because Americans believe that cartoons are for kids, so suggesting to make a serious animated show would not be taken seriously at all, in fact you'd be laughed at for even pitching such a thing.

Speaking of anime sports shows, I'm watching Hajime No Ippo and I'm LOVING it.

pretty much how the supa strikas usually lose.

first game they lose because the other team's play style (either legit or cheating) gets the best of them, they win in the rematch.

hurricanes only lost because their owner played for the team incognito (and even then she had to turn herself in).

then again it's the same thing with most anime sports. even if they lose there's something that keeps them in the running.

You could go with the Rocky scenario. People seem to forget that Rocky loses to Apollo in the end, but he's proved his guts and determination enough to win respect.

So maybe the underdog team claws its way to the finals and loses, but the arrogant champion team finally acknowledges them as worthy equals and tells them they'll be ready next year.

>Yfw this gets a Netflix revival with Lebron James, Cam Newton, and Dale Earnheart, Jr.

>it's another "OP makes a bullshit disingenuous thread as an excuse to post anime" episode

This is why I phonepost

is this any good? most of the time i only see it referenced because of the sally bollywood lookalike.

You shut the fuck up you fuckstain of a cunt.

I would actually love to see the show you described. But then the characters end up falling in love with the sport and becoming serious about it. Kind of like how Parks and Rec treats Leslie's work as a joke, but as it goes on, you grow to respect her and her job (While still laughing at some of the hilarity around it.)

>I would actually love to see the show you described.
The thing I've described has already been made though. It's called "The Little Giants" and became the template for every fucking little league movie in the 90's. There are literally dozens of movies that feature that exact dynamic.

>so suggesting to make a serious animated show would not be taken seriously at all, in fact you'd be laughed at for even pitching such a thing.

That's changing, Bojack Horseman. I suppose it's not 100% serious, but I'd definitely call it a serious series all over.

Can you explain why you feel that this is a "bullshit disingenuous thread"? Sports cartoons really aren't very common in the US.

Why create a cartoon about the sports when you can watch the world's best athletes on USA TV for free except for fights

WWE is full of characters and some of the biggest MMA fighters emulate the WWE trash talking to a whole new level.

No, it's another example of the problem. It can't just be a serious show tackling adult issues, it has to have a heavy dose of zany wackiness, starting with having to have all the characters be crazy animal people.

Though I agree it's probably a step in the right direction.

Rocket Power.

cause real tv is filled with useless shit I dont care about, fucking shitty commentators, plus you'll never get a close up shot of a baseball being hit by a bat and sent out in the field at 100mph.

theres just some things simply easier to show and focus on through animation then live action.

Bojack Horseman is as far from serious as you can get, if it was serious the animation quality will be surpassing Voltron:LD and it will have at least a 30 piece orchestra doing the soundtrack and that soundtrack will only be used for 1 episode as every episode will have it's own soundtrack.

Thats a serious cartoon, not Bojack.

Does Rocket Power not count?

Because sports fans dont watch neckbeard cartoons, they watch sports.

No, they watch this.

archive.org/details/BaseballBugs_553

OP, just go watch French cartoons then.
From what I remember, there's a recent cartoon that came out about Basketball, and there's also an older one called 'Galactik Football.'

no it sucks. Though I admit I DID enjoy it in somewhat in my youth

fuck Otto that self centered elitist faggot

No, we had multiple thread about them, long story short with the soul exception of Asterix French cartoons/comics should be avoided at best.

The only reason why Ulysses 31, Lupin VIII (canceled) and The Mysterious Cities of Gold were good was because all France did was fund it (writing was 100% Japanese) when Gadget had Americans on board it's production.

>French
>American

I know it was bad but thats the only sports theme cartoon I can think of.

how many sports movies actually have the underdog team lose?

Ah shit, good taste my nigga.

That's my point, it would be an interesting change of pace.

Galactik Football is a French cartoon, user.

An animated series about Rocky Balboa would be cool.

>what is mighty ducks?

Am I misremembering or there were a bunch in the late 80s and early 90s?

that question that is almost the answer is, "why would anyone what to watch a cartoon about sports, when i can do real sports outside?"

your logic is invalid since the Japanese love the shit out of baseball and play the fuck of it in real life and they still make damn good anime of it.

also your logic applies to literally any sports fan who watches any sport on tv.

>implying Giant Killing

>when i can do real sports outside?
You're in Sup Forums and there is a lot of reason why, mostly stem from their childhood
>bullied during the game
>get picked last
>they skip your turn on batting
>never won a game, ever
>never left the bench
>Sport show skip over your favorite cartoon, again
>they never call you out to play sport with them
>PE in general suck
>Soccer mom make game unfun
>they refuse to let you join their sport team
>moron that can catch a football got a free ride in a university while you don't

Because real sports are crammed down our throats in media, americans have less of an interest in cartoon sport depictions.

You have the best answer in this thread

m.youtube.com/channel/UCuAEdgSJdVTaFd_JIHwlQJg

terrible damage control

although i know this is the normal state of american comic/cartoon industry

your logic is invalid because the entire planet isn't fucking japan

we don't make anime out of everything like they do okay

many well known professional football players grew up with capatain tsubasa
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Tsubasa

this thread stinks
the absolute state of pretentious and ignorant amerifats

yeah, i guess my logic is wrong, but i get the feeling that's what a weeb would say if they didn't like sports and would rather be watching some edgy anime bullshit, at least here in the states.
i mean didn't toonami back in the day air some sports anime, and later got removed cause no one gave a shit about prince of tennis?
personally I'm not really into playing team sporta, although i do respect the hardwork, dedication and teamwork of football. i'm more into wrestling and boxing, since there's no one to blame but myself if i lose.

There's been tons of comics over the years about sports including some of the most popular ones in the United States at the time like Joe Palooka. For a long time, pretty much every Sunday Thimble Theatre strip featured stories about Popeye's boxing career.

For whatever reason, whenever those were adapted. they wound up in live action instead of animation.

I guess because most of them were fairly realistic and didn't really need animation.

Well, besides DC's Strange Sports.

they compensate with secret techniques or "just real enough" methods of action.

or just outright bullshit but cool

youtube.com/watch?v=D1Q3uX6os3o

It has a lot of cool dunks and there's a cute brown girl, which makes it good enough for me.

players in Japan are mostly real Japanese people the readers can relate to

how many sports anime actually show real people or give them big roles?

most

never seen that one so i'll take your word for it.

most i've seen reference real life athletes (hajime no ippo,hungry heart: wild striker) but they never show any real ones.

The real reason is money. Why make an animated show about sports when you can make a live action show about sports for less money?

Different culture. We'd rather just watch actual sports.