Value of Slott's run on Spider-Man?

I'm excited to maybe try Spider-man again now that Slott is officially gone. I stopped reading spider-man after OMD, so I'm wondering, did Slott's run add anything of value to the character and his mythos?

>did Slott's run add anything of value to the character and his mythos?
Superior was actually fun as fuck, especially when it's not Slott writing SpOck

Why?

No.

No, superior it's fun, but just that.

I've never really understood Sup Forums perpetual vitriol towards Slott's run. Was it always great? No, but overall I thought it was pretty okay, and I rarely walked away from thinking the book wasn't worth reading.

The majority of it was quite good. It's just that Superior was rushed towards the end and everything after that has been pretty terrible. I maintain that if he had ended his run after Superior he'd be considered one of the definitive runs on the character.

Not at all, it was quite mediocre most of the time.

I loved Dead No More and most of Slott's run.

No, Superior could have been regarded well, but it overstayed its welcome with far too many issues and characters just acting stupid

Died in your Arms Tonight, The Gauntlet, Grim Hunt, Big Time, Ends of the Earth, none of those are any good to you?

fuck you, I liked it

It's not difficult to understand. Slott's entire run had the shadow of a wrecked marriage over it. No amount of time has dulled the wound, because Slott never let anyone forget. He sprinkled hints, implications and teases across 10 years of publication and laughed from his tired, trembling desk chair, his neck rolls jiggling like jello.

Look at this panel. Look at it. This single panel perfectly encapsulates a decade of that fat piece of shit's run on Spider-Man.

>Muh MJ

I'm gonna laugh when he gets back with MJ and it sucks worse than Slott at his worst

The Gauntlet and Grim Hunt was a collaboration between Waid, Guggenheim, Van Lente and Joe Kelly. Slott was barely involved.

Slott didn't take over full-time until Big Time

and no, Big Time and Ends of the Earth are not good

That makes more sense

I honestly don't care anymore. The marriage could come back and I would still never touch a Spider-Man book again. This is what Slott and Marvel have done.

It was hardly just the marriage.
Don't forget the wanton destruction and bloodlust of "Spiderverse", wherein Slott went out of his way to massacre every popular incarnation of Spider-Man across all mediums, save for a select few.

But, like OP asked, did Slott create any characters or concepts that will live on or be valuable to the Spider-man mythology going forward??

I can't think of any (which is bizarre for a 10-year run), but maybe someone else, Slott apologist of otherwise, has a better predictive read on that.

no, because Slott abandoned any new characters that didn't get immediate and widespread popularity, i.e. all of them

Superior was fun for all of half an issue, before it devolved into bland "spock beats people up and is shocked by the consequences" retreads. The Yost run was where it was at.

Was Agent Venom Slott's idea? If so he's got that and Scarlet Spider Kaine but I'm not sure how much credit he should get since other guys are the ones that made them so great

I can see Spock getting brought back, he was fun when not under Slott.

Agent Venom was Van Lente

he came back during Secret Empire but no one cared

The entire multiverse was going to be killed off anyway for Secret Wars. So fucking what?

because a lot of Spider-Verse was just petty and done for shock value

Personally I just didn't care since it was mostly just in ASM, but I did enjoy that one Avengers issue.

¿Superior? Maybe
big time? eh

Didnt he want to make Mayday Spider-Girl into a murder fiend
Man did he really hate Spidey that much or was he that bad

And MJ already left Peter and went to Hollywood. I don't like Mary Jane but she was right, Peter's life isn't for everyone.
I think MJ is made to have different guys, she can be a slut and it's okay.

except that ignores literal decades of character development

Why do I feel Slott didn't write this. Wasn't it a backup story in one of his issues?

Superior was great.
He added Silk to the mythos, as ridiculous as her origin is she does have potential.

Slott highlights as solo writer in Spidey:
>"No One Dies" two-parter
>"Spider-Island"
>"Ends of the Earth"
>"Dying Wish/Superior Spider-Man"
>"Spider-Verse"
>"Clone Conspiracy"
Honestly just skip everything else user, too many filler issues.

>He added Silk to the mythos, as ridiculous as her origin is she does have potential.
as a character or a waifu?

Both.
Slott wrote her as Waifu material.
Robbie Thompson wrote her as a proper character.

while I enjoyed her solo series, I seriously doubt anyone is every going to use her again as anything more than event fodder

other writers don't wank oct and simplyy write in oct's perspective and how he learn to become better.

How? Did he have a spare body lying around? I stopped reading when they tried to put in Electro again because ASM2 was coming out.

Otto stole and put his mind into a newly cloned body of Peter during the Jackal close saga rehash shenanigans.

>>"Spider-Verse"
>>"Clone Conspiracy"

I'd also say to skip these.

Slott helped pave the way for my two favorite characters, so I can't hate him for that.

It was a backup but I think Christos Gage was filling in, working with what Slott wanted to happen with the story.

Even at it's best it was just painfully dry and his only real achievements where inventing new action figures.

That's true, there were quite a lot of stuff based on things from his run. It wouldn't surprise me if that's part of the reason why he stayed on so long, they figured they could get a lot of stuff to be made into merchandise.

>Peter's life isn't for everyone

I wonder, what hole Slott/OMD apologists crawled out of?

Didn't it get confirmed that Slott posts here?

>Slott's run add anything of value to the character and his mythos?
No
Nothing worth while
Slott just tried to ride the coattails of other writers ideas like the clone saga.
Its fine to shit on peter omce in a while, but to make peter greatful for all that shit is another issue all together.
Slott was a desperate fan who wanted to be memmorable and now he is, for being one of the worst spiderman authors who autisically enough knew he should leave but wouldnt leave until someone had to tell him to get the fuck out.
Its like that kid that wouldnt take a hint, he knew about the hint, he was told about the hint, but wouldnt leave unless he was forced out.

Thats why it worked for MJ, her character was built around the fact that she was the only one who vould accepr peter and spiderman. But since lonely writers have tp self insert anyways, married life made no sense to them.

So Otto won't look like Elton John anymore?

Peter fucked a midget, so there's that.

But it didn't work.

>"Gimmicky event" post clone saga/pre-OMD
>has premise stemming from Peter's very personal relationship with Norman, tons of good character moments, cute scenes with MJ playing dress-up with Peter, and Peter LARPing as four different types of superhero temper (and finding out that people would've liked him more if not for his attitude and retarded cracks)

>full decade of shallow gimmicks post-OMD
>supporting characters assassination, horrible new love interests, no chemistry between Peter-the-autistic-manchild and his antagonists-mustache-twirling villains

I sometimes wonder if that whole cavalcade of horrible writing BND onwards was to lower readers expectations towards quality of writing in Spider-man, except it backfired horribly because nobody wants to read that crap anymore.

More like "Peter and the midget simultaneously got raped by Doc Ock"

>ctrl+f Flash
>0 results
You're a bunch of pessimist.

Flash Thompson was Venom and it was great. Now he's Anti-Venom, who Eddie was and it was a good progression of Eddie getting past the symbiote.
Kane Parker became Scarlet Spider which was also great.
Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Spencer.

does he get a cut of all merch of thing he worked on?

who forced him out?

I thought he gave her a poke after he got his body back, mut I might be misremembering it.
Funnily enough, Ana Maria was one of the best partners I've read in a while, she was funny, supportive and not just there to be a girlfriend.

CUTE!

But none of these are directly Slott's ideas, except for Anti-venom (who has contrived backstory that begs for being streamlined in the adaptations like Spider-man TAS did with Venom)?

I don't think he does, but it may help him argue well that he's providing for the company.

I guess that makes some sense.

CUTE!

Jojo spider-man?

I didn't get the jojoke, exp[lain plox.
MJ messes with him by dressing him in four costumes seen here at the same time.

Yeah but while I do kinda like Silk as she's basically a less smart Peter Parker at times, I feel that she could be done better.
If Slott wasn't the one to write her originally then she'd probably be one of the better Spider characters. I get the feeling she was meant to be killed in Spider-Verse though.

>I didn't get the jojoke, exp[lain plox.

Jojo fags will point to anything and think it's Jojo. Because they're fucking morons.

Well that "costume" does have that disparate throw bizarre asymmetrical fashion onto a character look that some Sup Forums shit has. Maybe more final fantasy than jojo.