Explain why having your masters is a bad thing?

Explain why having your masters is a bad thing?

You can't.

The only masters you've got is in baiting

My girlfriend is getting her masters in creative writing next month and she was like you have to call me master now and I got a lil chub

loser ausFAILIAN

loser chink guy

>A
>FUCKING
>BURGER

You know no one gives a shit about a masters except libtards. Keep blue pilling yourself.

Are you upset about ur flag lil buddy

If you're not going for a PhD its a waste. PhD is a waste if you're not planning on teaching at a prestigious school and do research. For everyone else a bachelor's is fine in whatever field you want to go into but then you play the school name game.

I am :(

I bet a woman made this stupid image.

The "keep calm" meme appeals only to the lowest common denominator

Kek,
Good one reverse poland

You can have a master's in philosophy and it still amounts to jack shit. It all depends upon what your masters is in that gives it greater value than others

depends on the circumstance. an employer paying so you get a raise is good, or having it paid by working as a TA and getting a better job after is good too.

but other than that i don't see the point

How many books has she written now that she mastered creative writing?

I'm a masters student in a field that actually requires you to know things and where getting a masters actually lets me learn things and gain experience.

What totally important field is your masters in?

Not always. A masters can help quite a bit in industry.

What masters are Sup Forums approved?

also what education are you pursuing?

communcations systems engineer going into a netsec master here

your spending 5 years of your life to get a certificate
good goy : )

>staying at your progressive brainwashing facility for longer than 4 years
>going into that much more debt

Wish I could go back but I defaulted on my loans so the government will never give me student loans again. I'll just have to live with my bachelor's.

I have a masters in 'information systems'. I cannot say it makes the slightest of difference over a BA(Hons), i dont think i've even seen a job requesting that you must have a masters even..
They are more interested at your experience at that level..

A PHD on the other hand makes a difference to your pay/more opportunities

*you're

A bit of further education might help you out user

That's true. It's dependant on the field. Want to design car batteries or work on more efficient crude oil extraction you'll probably want more than a bachelor's in electrical and petroleum engineering, respectively.

Math bachelor here. I like solving problems and those "A-ha" moments solving on difficult ones but I'm shit at explaining my reasoning and always have trouble with proofs because of that. Doubt I could teach or do mindnumbing research as a career since I have a bad case of wanderlust.

>A PhD on the other hand makes a difference to your pay/more opportunities

>Opportunities
Yes

>Pay
not necessarily

>If you're not going for a PhD its a waste
Master's are the new Bachelor degrees. Good luck not flipping burgers without one.

the only things i'm interested in don't pay enough money to justify the cost

MAXIMUM
K E K

Never took a single college course in my life. I make 60k a year and have zero debt hanging over my head. My car is payed for and I'm hoping to buy some land soon.

Life is pretty good.

When automation renders 99% of the workforce totally useless we will have people doing PhDs on things like shitposting, just as a way to keep them occupied.

the way u worded it makes me think ppl say its a bad thing so now I feel better bout not haveen one
ya cause u know anyone that gets thru a creative wr-AHAHAH ×ahem× creative writing masters programs has deftly been thru some sh×t rite? lmao whata clown. at least she can follow her dream of proofreading technical manuals

>makes 60k a year
>can't spell the word 'paid'

OK sure

If I had a dollar for every woman I met with a master's in something worthless, I'd be set for life.

It's gonna be a long time before automation makes the workforce obsolete. The technology is there but companies don't want to make the investment in it.

I work for one of the biggest Nissan plants in the US and all of our robots are old as fuck. Most of them were build in the eighties, the oldest one I know of was built in 67.

Technically yes, since bachelor's are the new high school diploma, but most workplaces haven't cracked down that hard on them yet. It's almost not beneficial due to being over qualified and being passed over for bachelor's here still. Unless you're going into a specific field for your degree, but that just solidifies what me and the Jap spoke of.

Depends on the field. I know for engineering (ME in particular) a masters is usually useless and just makes you overqualified for most of the jobs out there.

Oh wow, good job, you found a typo. Here's a congratulatory (You).

Thats odd, I would think businesses would leap at any opportunity to drive down. or eliminate entirely, wages. Its the biggest cost for most businesses.

>not starting to work right after high school in manual labor

I'm working on my biochem masters now. I'm comfortable running experiments and analyzing data, and coming up with the direction I should take research in, but grad school helps you learn how to actually design experiments you can reasonably do and get useful data from. The coursework also helps me brush up on knowledge in specialized field of biology and biomedical research, which is good.

At first was was 100% going to go for the PhD as well, but apparently industry in Japan doesn't really require a PhD, and I'd probably be better spending those 3 extra years working rather than being in school, as I've got no real desire to become a professor. I'll see where the future takes me.

A PhD really is only if you plan to be an academic.

What fucking flag is that?

I already have a meme degree, no point in getting a meme master

I fucking wish but this place was (still is) tradie town

Somebody stay hurt

Believe it or not, a lot of American companies want a PhD and possibly even a postdoc for staff scientist positions (which I find absurd).

It's either get the PhD, or have a masters and 5+ years of experience. Honestly the thought of having my name start with "Dr." is pretty cool, but on the other hand if I want to settle down and have a family and afford the things I enjoy in life, I can start 3 years earlier and hopefully make good money while gaining the experience I need to make super big bux.

Sup Forums please give me digits for good luck i have an exam in med school in 3 hours been studying for 18 hours with breaks of 15 min every three hours
i really dont want to fail but i got lazy and left everything for the last moment
i promess im never gonna do it again if i pass this test please

Most big corporations have tunnel vision and focus on short-term profit to the exclusion of all else.

The cost for making an entire factory full-auto would be astronomical, even if it paid for itself in the long run, most companies would never do it until the technology becomes cheap, proven, and effective.

I fucking hate econometrics.

Depends on the country. Here, a bachelor's degree is pretty much worthless.

I have a doctorate. But the vast majority of people SHOULD NOT go for postgraduate education.

Hell, most people shouldn't go to college, period. It's a fucking scam for the majority of people.

Why? Academic inflation just results in degrees becoming worthless after everyone floods into higher and higher levels of education. It gets to the point where a simple entry level job now requires a masters degree, for fucks sake. There is an oversupply of college-educated workers, and it's ruining the job market for EVERYONE top to bottom.

Think about the millions of students dicking around in college. That's how many people could be contributing to the economy during the prime years of their lives, but aren't. Instead, they're all just amassing vast quantities of debt that they will need to pay. And the time spent delaying become a full-fledged adult along with the time spent trying to repay the debt before actually making a net income means delaying other adult endeavors like getting married and having children. Delaying father/motherhood results in shit-tier relationships and tiny or nonexistent families, because the women are either too busy pursuing "careers" or their ovaries are too dried up to produce more than a single child.

wew you are very smaht

I studied a field I don't even work in. I have an RN and Masters in Geriatric Nutrition. I own a liquor store.

That being said, my education opened the door to certain opportunities. Education is the key to the doorway of success. The one employee I have is also college educated.

I voted Trump, everyone I know voted Trump. Located 50 miles north of NYC.

Good luck Dr Eatsda Watermelon

I did a Bachelor's of Political Science, and my profs pushed hard for me to do a Masters afterwards.

Instead I went back and did another Bachelor's, this time in Chemical Engineering. Now I have a job, and my friends who did their masters are working at low-level jobs that they could have got without any formal education. There are a few exceptions but their jobs required "any degree" rather than something specialized.

The point is that not all Masters programs are created equal. Telling someone to do a Master's degree is like telling someone to "just go to university".

>Explain why having your masters is a bad thing?

Depends on whether it's a useful Masters or not.

Masters in Bioinformatics/Computational Biology? Great - tough subject, wide array of applications, and a STEM subfield that is set to expand exponentially in coming decades.

Masters in Genders Studies or English Literature? Not so much.

Masters is a dead end and longer to do than honours.

Unless it's the only option to advance in your field of study, why bother?

what would those millions of students dicking around actually do if they weren't studying for a degree in asking would you like fries with that?

the idea you're having them do isn't viable today like it was not very long ago, there isn't a need for hundreds of factory workers, certainly not in the west now that all those jobs have shifted to the 3rd world and with automation kicking in in full swing, even in China.

so what are these millions of students dicking around supposed to actually do?

The technology is not good enough. Million dollar robots still need to be re-taught their task every week or so.
T. Robot programmer at an automotive plant.

what type of job can you get with a degree in writing? Become an author? You don't need a degree to be that the same way you don't need a degree in music to become a musician.

I have a bachelors and I wanted to start making money instead of losing it.

Also Masters are irrelevant as fuck if you don't step it up to a PhD.

May the HUE be with you

Nah PhD is required for most (Pharma/Biotech) industry positions as well - particularly if you want the chance to progress further up the ladder.

A Bachelor's is (in theory) fine for entry level scientific work in private sector but due to degree inflation you pretty much need minimum of a Master's now sadly. However there are some positions (Lab Tech etc) where having a Phd will disqualify you because they don't expect you to hang around.

Overeducated retards.

Speak for yourself dude. We can literally never get enough people in my factory even though we pay good money.

You would be amazed at how strongly people simply do not want to work.

the problem is the only skill most people have nowadays is taping their pecker into their bunghole

that and getting a degree in anything but chemistry, maths, or physics

Yes it's worth it, but only if the university you're attending is worth shit ( at least top 50 in the world)

Otherwise it's a waste of time and money

well shit

1. someone who advocates for master's degrees uses the completely old and stupid keep calm meme that is now effectively normietumblr-tier. this person is likely to be wrong on other things

2. once everyone gets a master's degree, master's degrees will be worth nothing. then you will be making this same thread about getting a PhD. then a PhD and an MD. then a PhD and an MD and a JD. only one of these things is actually objectively valuable

3. it will extend childhood even further. getting the approval of your university that you pay to study at is very different from being successful in the real world

I believe it dude. I know our robots can't do a straight mig weld for even one whole day without a reteach.

>3. it will extend childhood even further.
this.

infantilisation of the population is the biggest social problem we face today

Have you tried killing yourself? I heard that helps.

and maybe try tucking dick while you do it faggot.

these types of threads on /sci/ freak me the fuck out

>get robotics & programming degree
>jobs are handed out to designateds
>get trade or apprenticeship
>10,000 locals are already in on it
>go full medical
>100k debt and invest 8+ years of life

fuck my gen up?

california.

How to remove Social Marxist brainwashing facilities: Become a faculty member, fight against Social Marxist brainwashing from the inside. Encourage free speech on campus, both from students and professors. Try to get encouragement of open exchange of ideas worked into orientations, placed in advertisement of the school, and posted around the school in various forms. Remove the political speak for oppression of ideas which might be used to defend whites, males, and hetero-normative people (diversity, tolerance, "for everybody", etc.). Explain to people what "free speech" means (protip: if people are allowed to express ideas which offend you, that's evidence that we have it). Remind the PR-obsessed crowd what makes academia such a cornerstone of society, and help the cowards around you grow some balls.

Sup Forums should be encouraging people to get their degrees if they haven't already. The better educated we are, the better we look. The better we look, the more influence we have. A faceless existence on the internet can only do so much.

>Enjoy being fired.

Fuck off with your defeatism.

>only a masters

Can you plebs please stop fucking posting, you're embaressing the real academics in the thread.

Where my PhD bois at?

What are those millions of liberal arts majors supposed to do? What are those millions of sociology and psychology majors supposed to do? There aren't enough starbucks in the world for them all.

The reason why this "hurr durr you need to go to college" attitude exists is because everyone goes to college and you have to compete with them. It's completely circular. This is the "academic inflation" I mentioned before.

It's not just manufacturing jobs, senpai. There are plenty of jobs out there that used to be performed by people that didn't have or need college degrees. But now, these same jobs require a bachelor's or maybe even higher. Why? Is it because the job got more technical and standards are higher? No, it's because there was an overabundance of people falling for the College Jew, and the increased supply of overqualified labor for these jobs meant that employers had no reason not to pick college-educated people, even though it wasn't necessary. In this way, it caused jobs that never required college education to now require it.

Well that was fast.

It's rare to see a doctor complaining about opportunities.

>where are the good goyim?

Or if you have no fucking clue what you're doing and want three more years of stealing nip tax shekels. At least that was my motivation. That and naive undergrads.

>top 50 in the world
That just means YOU graduated from a top 50 uni according to some ranking.

Great minds go to good universities, but most of those who go to good universities are just "overachievers" who pass their tests, play an instrument or sports, and have served food to the needy one night. Sadly, they can rarely write a paper or do original research.

At home, getting paid to shitpost

nothing is safe in our day and age my friend

you probably think I am a white german right? Well maybe. Maybe I'm just an immigrant shitskin bored at his cousins kebab place, or maybe I'm a leaf poster with a vpn that likes to larp. Who knows

do what you love

PhD's aren't degrees you get to take on a better paying job ya dingus.

That's because the AMA strictly regulates the number of MDs graduating each year. Artificially low scarcity keeps wages and job availability high for doctors.

I don't actually see anything wrong with that though. MDs work their asses off and come out of school with a shitload of debt and they don't make a net profit until they're in their 40s. But it does create a system where you can have a 3.9 GPA and a shitload of experience and a perfect CV and still get rejected from decent med schools because so few are allowed to join the ranks.

But what I do have a problem with in this system is that despite tons and tons of americans being rejected from becoming doctors, we still take in a SHITLOAD of chinks and pooinloos to be doctors. If you're going to only let in very few people to become doctors, why the FUCK aren't those slots going to americans instead of foreign pakis? Go to any hospital and there are more indians/pakis than white doctors, for fucks sake.

Because I'm still doing my bachelors.

Yes they are. Go to a place like Pfizer and literally everyone has a PhD. You can pretend that PhDs are only for people super passionate about expanding scientific knowledge and do so without caring about pay, but this is just false.

Have my digits lad

a degree holds prestige but it doesn't necessarily mean more $$$, especially not nowadays

In Germany, some apprenticeships are actually more lucrative than most college degrees

Honestly, get a BA, then get a job. If advance,ent requires a masters, then you get that. And in that scenario most businesses will cover at a minimum some of it. PhD only helps if you plan to be an academic your whole lfe.

I tend to measure a degrees worth by asking what it offered. Did it give you acces to experiences you couldnt get otherwise? Did you learn information unobtainable elsewhere? If the answer is no, then fuck that degree.

Finally, if you're arguing that you need these degrees to reach places, I'm assuming you're not all that impressive on your own. I mean fuck, what happened to learning how to network without the internet. Doing job shadowing. Etc. It really works still. But the average ability of individuals to think outside the box or hold any form of meaningful conversations now is a joke.

this. only go to college if you know for a fact you are going to be a great figure in your field, and only if your field is a traditional science: mathematics, chemistry, physics.

>If you're going to only let in very few people to become doctors, why the FUCK aren't those slots going to americans instead of foreign pakis?
training doctors is expensive. That's why

Id say the main advantage is funding, even though I'm low priority i can waste tens of thousands of dollars on stupid shit because grants are politicized to hell and back and if your professor is famous you can get approved for anything.

Not necessarily a bad thing and not necessarily a good thing.

Depends on your goals, the program and the price tag.

Dropping 280k on law school when your only options are Cooley or Whittier is hella dumb.

Dropping 280k on Duke is more defensible (but something I would still be leery doing).

Paying 100k for most MBA programs is the epitome of stupid but if you're at Kellogg or your company is paying for it...

> Implying Empeor trump won't just use the excess production to build lunar colonies and asteroid belt mining corporations

Protip: Industrial strength is like Dakka. There's NEVER enuff.

I can tell you know nothing about industry.

t. PhD in Women's studies

You need to fail so you can learn your lesson

Here an engineers degree is somewhat equivalent to US's bach+masters.
At least you'd hope so since it takes 6-7 years minimum, but other countries refuse to recognize them, so you may end up 9-10 years to get your " real masters".

>doesn't know Cyprus

It used to be a crown colony and we have still bases there.

>tfw shit costs me 2k a year.
>tfw gonna get executive master of acturial science

Here we have this same situation, many people going to college learn "Letras" (literature) and then they become one in millions of people who are able to give a class about it when they could learn it from the internet, despite it being almost worthless. Lawyers are the most useless job here yet the most aimed for, the gorvenment fucks it hard.
I'm a technician and when I try to find a job that requires almost no skill, I'm competing with guys who know russian and german and are doctors, and those skills are for what?

If you know any tip about getting a job without these ridiculous requirements, pls share.

There are very few masters that I would say are an automatic go.

The simple reality is most fields are swamped to shit by low level university of pheonix tier programs.

Medicine is still a safe bet for any U.S. based school (avoid Puerto Rican, other Caribbean and Mexican programs like the plague).

Other than a select few programs like that, outcomes can vary heavily from school to school.

You also have other info you need to take into account (many MBA programs are more or less a waste of time if you go str8 from undergrad, LLMs are worthless unless you're going for tax law from a handful of schools or you're an international student, etc. etc.)

The answer is that it depends on a host of factors.