What's with the hate on newer episodes of Spongebob season 11?

what's with the hate on newer episodes of Spongebob season 11?

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to/Comic/SpongeBob-Comics/Issue-20
youtube.com/watch?v=2UOCmMYINkI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because since Stephen departure spongebob turned into a satire of itself, all characters were turned darker flanderized versions of themselves with scenes and more scenes created simply to gross out the audience a la family guy style

Except Stephen came back in the latter half of S9.

Shhh.. Shut the fuck up with your facts.

People downplay the involvement Stephen did have for post-movie (he still was approving/rejecting stuff according to Robertryan Cory) and upsell the involvement he has post-2nd movie

I never really cared for Spongebob. I liked Ed Edd and Eddy better.

I don't like the visuals/art style and the writing is still mediocre.

That's true.

kinda this
it does okay as a silly well-animated cartoon (i don't have any great comparisons so i'll say it's like PGBC) but it's still a completely different show in writing and humor

I gave the new February episodes a watch. Pretty much all of them were mediocre as hell.

I think the main problem was that a lot of the jokes they wrote and the way they approached the writing in general came off as obnoxiously childish, as if they knocked down the target demographic to toddlers. For example, in the episode where Spongebob buys a self-driving car, Patrick jumps in the car and starts blabbing like a baby, pressing random buttons and smearing his ice cream all over the dashboard. There was nothing more to that either, that was the entire joke. It's fucking weird too since they STILL do gross-out jokes like pic related (although it's not as detailed as the Tibbitt-era episodes).

I get that this is a children's cartoon and how I'm far and away from the kind of people the staff wants to appeal to, but old Spongebob used to have much more dignity and wit than this. It's a shame too since I was hoping for the show to rebound and be at least good in its own right, and it actually was at a few points since S9B.

While not as bad as the legendary shit we were getting back in Season 6-8, the show still lacks its original tone and charisma. It got it back in Season 9, but then completely ignored it in 10 to become a wandumb show.

why is there text?

These sum up my feelings for the newer seasons perfectly. I don't get why people are saying SpongeBob is good again.

In all honesty, even if Stephen's newer episodes are good again, there's far too much bullshit to sift through. The bad episodes still vastly outnumber the good episodes and no one's going to feel like sitting through them to gauge which episodes are "modern" Spongebob and which ones are "postmodern" Spongebob (with Stephen back).

Spongebob had to ask Squidward what sports were in "Sportz". They turned Spongebob into an absolute moron.

Season 9-11 hasn't been bad, but I wouldn't call it good either. It's middle of the road.

Reminds me of modern Simpsons with its mediocrity. It's not good, but it could be a HELL of a lot worse.

it's easy to gauge which ones are modern vs post modern: the post modern ones are the ones that were produced after the 2nd movie (so starting with Lost in Bikini Bottom)

I’m the opposite of you. It’s weird how that works.

>classic spongebob
>Showrunner
Stephen Hillenberg
>Creative Director
Derek Drymon
>Story Editor
Pete Burns for most of season 1, Merriwether Williams from late season 1 till the end. Tim Hill on the Movie
>post movie
>Showrunner
Paul Tibbit
>Creative Director
Vincent Waller (credited as Technical Director on season 4)
>Story Editors
Tim Hill (early to mid season 4), Steven Banks (Selling Out to Season 8), no one so essentially the only remaining staff writers Mr Lawrence and Derek Iversen (season 9A)
>post-2nd movie
>Showrunners
Vincent Waller and Marc Ceccarelli
>Story Editors
Kyle McCulloch (season 9B), Mr Lawrence (season 10 onward)

He’s changed personality quite a bit throughout the show’s run. Season 1 he was just a nice dude if a bit ridiculous and childish at times. While in season 2 - 4 he’s obnoxiously naive and autisticly fixates on things but still a well meaning and intelligent guy. But after that he turns into a huge moron and asshole. Haven’t watched any episodes to see what he’s currently like.

The comics have kept his early season characterization and are better written and more enjoyable than the current show. A few of them are even season 1-3 tier.

would you mind pointing me to a few

Start with this one. If you enjoy it I can link more.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/SpongeBob-Comics/Issue-20

after 15 years of spongebob shittiness the damage is done, it's part of the brand recognition now. If they really want viewers to view spongebob differently they'll need to reboot it or something like that.

Yeah there hasn’t been anything to match the classics yet.

I don't see any hate on Spongebob season 11. The people who have previously ranted on modern Spongebob seem have admitted it's a massive improvement.

Reminder that SpongeBob was going to shit even with Hillenburg at the helm: youtube.com/watch?v=2UOCmMYINkI

To be honest, Seasons 9B and 11 are actually decent. (Not season 10 because it sucks.) Some of their episodes actually make me laugh. But the show still lacks the charm of seasons 1-3 and a lot of the characters are dumbed down into complete idiots.

Except that stupid special was still after the first movie.

>there's far too much bullshit to sift through
You say that as if the show ever had any kind of ongoing story or continuity. Anyone can just jump from season 3 to the newest season and not miss anything. Not every show requires you to watch the entire thing.

Irrelevant, the show hasn't been this way since season 9

>It's not as bad as previous seasons so-and-so but it doesn't have the same charm as the first 3 seasons
I don't get this logic. Does it need to have the same charm as the original seasons to be considered good now?

>It got it back in Season 9, but then completely ignored it in 10 to become a wandumb show.
I believe it's because for a brief period, Paul Tibbitt was still the showrunner for the entirety of the 9th season but Hillenburg came back (with a couple of the original writers and some new ones as well) to work on the episodes. And now as of season 10 we have 2 entirely new show runners, which is why the tone is completely different now.

The second half of season 9 is the last and only good post-sequel season imo. Season 10 and 11 are okay but not as good as the 2015-2016 episodes.

This honestly. Some of the last season 3 episodes and specials weren't bad, but they were kinda weak and you could tell they were running out of steam. They should've just ended it at the movie before it got any worse.