Donny Cates

What's this guy's deal? All I see is news about his creator-owned books selling out and now his Marvel issues are also selling out.

Is he actually good? Cosmic Ghost Rider who is actually Frank Castle sounds like the usual run-of-the-mill mashup culture vomit you'd expect from every second shithead these days

Why not just read either of his current Marvel runs, they're sitting at 5 issues each

He's very mediocre but Bendis called him "the next best thing in comics".

Because he is a good writer that writes good comics. Just read it.
And when he become popular Sup Forums will hate him because it is Sup Forumsntrarian central

Sup Forums has been hating his creator owned comics even before he was hired by Marvel.

Honestly don't get it myself. In both Strange and Thanos there's a lot of sound and fury and use of things that are to seem like a big deal only for it to deflate.
Before someone gets their panties in a twist, I don't even think he's bad, the merit is just not there to me.

Bendis is coming to Seattle next week for Emerald City Comic Con. I have no intentions of going to his panels or autographings.

I cannot fucking wait for this guy to take over Venom and save us from Costa.

>What's this guy's deal
this isn't Sup Forums you cretin

bleedingcool is hinting he's gonna get Fantastic Four.

his strange isn't bad. it's interesting to see a dude come outta nowhere like this

God Country was a mediocre, melodramatic, utterly forgettable Hollywood bait. I haven't bothered with his other works but they also seem schlocky bait for adaptation.
Honestly there are so few true artists left in American mainstream comics that make comics for the medium and it's fans. I fucking hate the current trends, fuck you Kirkman and Image, you ruined the indie scene before it could go mainstream.

Uh... okay?

Marlel desperately needs guys. I think they're positioning him against King but as much as King has shat the bed post DC exclusivity deal, this guy is just utterly mediocre. Not even interesting in the meme tier sense like their past franchise writers.

>Marlel desperately needs guys
And DeeSee doesn't?

Not really. At least not nearly as desperately as Marlel.

Pff, suuuure.

If that’s the case they why are they making a big deal about Bendis joining them? They’re literally running adds saying “Here Comes Bendis” as if it isn’t a giant red flag to anyone who isnt super casual and things Bendis is still a decent writer.

Who does DC even have? They have to rely on switching around their mediocre writers.

They have Snyder, King, Morrison and Bendis. A bunch of meme writers

>Morrison
No they don't. He's just doing a few random issues here and there.

he's a numale and his writing is sjw pandering

That’s enough for readers to claim he’s a DC writer

>I have no intentions of going to his panels or autographings.

ALERT THE MEDIA!

The stuff he did at Dark Horse was good, his best comic is probably The Paybacks which was his superhero comic. So it's a good fit for him to start doing shit at Marvel. His Image stuff has been 6/10 imo but I guess a lot of people like it. But then a lot of people like Sex Criminals and The Wicked + The Divine too. His comics are nowhere near that bad but I'm just saying he probably is good at social media marketing or whatever.

This. Marvel is finished.

Because Bendis is the most well known writer at marvel and it is actually a big deal that he's switching. Say what you will about Bendis but he's done a lot for marvel within a pretty long time period. It's obviously not because Bendis is a guy.

>Say what you will about Bendis but he's done a lot for marvel within a pretty long time period
A lot of BAD things.

I'm enjoying his Thanos

>God Country was a mediocre

OMG! THIS! I read it and was like, "This is what people are jacking off over?"

He did a lot of damage for Marvel, and that’s about it

you're delusional if you think that he didn't have any contributions in the 20 years he worked at Marvel. It's one thing to not like him (I know I don't) but to say that he only did damage is stupid.

What exactly did he improve? Because he ruined Avengers with Disassembled, and X-Men with AvX, and Marvel’s entire line with Civil War 2, and Guardians of the Galaxy, he completely squandered Angela coming to Marvel because he wanted her in his GotG, he had Agent Venom ax’ed long before it’s time so he could add him to his GotG, he tried to permanently kill off Carnage because he hates symbiotes, he ruined both Doom and Ironman.

The only good he ever did we’re on Comics that we’re written over a decade ago, the past 10 years he’s done nothing but run franchise after franchise straight into the fucking ground

His best work *was* over a decade ago. I hate Bendis and think he's been a cunt of a hack for easily over ten years, but as someone actually alive and buying comics when he joined Marvel, he was a good writer back then and part of what was at the time and historically considered a good period for Marvel.
His DD run is one of the best. One of.

And since then he’s done nothing but damage Marvel

>People already hating on Cates and retroactively pretending they always hated him

This is the power of becoming a Marvel writer I guess

>Is he actually good?
He is fine.
>Cosmic Ghost Rider who is actually Frank Castle sounds like the usual run-of-the-mill mashup culture vomit you'd expect from every second shithead these days
Yes, and your post reads like a typical psudo-intellectual co shithead.
Whew, outrage squad here.
Tbh, before destroying avengers, he contributed a lot. Also, normies still like him.

>meme writers

What the fuck does that even mean? Has "meme" just become a synonym for something I don't like" around here?

Whoa that's mad, you're a right mad lad

Zdarsky should get it after Two in One

But again, that was over a decade though, and since then he’s caused far more damage than anything else, normies like him because there was a sex scene in Alias and USM was their first comic. The best thing he’s done in this past decade is making shitty comics for Illuminated to make parodies of, which are actually far more entertaining and better written than the actual comics.

Yes, just like “cuck” and “SJW”

Zdarsky should stick to drawing and never-ever write anything.
>But again, that was over a decade though, and since then he’s caused far more damage than anything else
True.

He's a pretty good writer.

No one's asking for your hot takes. BMB is a draw and sells, so, him switching brands is a big deal.

Okay, but you didn’t answer the question, What did he actually improve in this past decade? If you think he’s actually going to improve and excel over at DC you’re so delusional you should have a blue ring for having such a deep well of hope.

It’s a big deal in the worst way possible, normies will be excited and buy his Number 1 issue, meanwhile long time readers and fans will avoid him like the plague that he is.

>BMB is a draw and sells
In what reality?
> Defenders 8 $3.99 12/20/17 Marvel 22,211
>Jessica Jones 15 $3.99 12/27/17 Marvel 18,110
>Spider-Man 235 $3.99 12/06/17 Marvel 26,954

I'm not the guy you originally replied to, retard. Learn how this board works, and don't every reply to me again with your shitty obvious posts.

Still didn’t answer the question though user, you could actually provide something to the discussion ITT rather than just shitposting you know. It’s okay though, we all know that there is no good answer to that question because Bendis hasn’t done jack shit that could be considered any kind of improvement in this past decade.

His Strange was interesting with Loki around, Strange on his own is boring asf

He's an okay writer but is massively underdeveloped and has no idea how to follow through with storytelling beyond initial interesting(ish) set-ups.
God Country 1 was great. Issue 2 was good. Issues 3 through 5 were pointless.
His Thanos story has an okay setup (ANOTHER alternate future, but it has King Thanos meeting Current Year Thanos and asking for help, which is kind of neat) but it goes nowhere.
There isn't a story there. It's just an idea. Beyond the first issue or two, you can feel his stories desperately seeking some filler stuff to "do" in order to fill pages.
You know how Bendis would fill pages with tedious go-nowhere dialogue to get through issues? Cates does the same thing but fills them with portentous "profound" stuff that's really just empty set pieces.

That said, he's easily the best new writer at Marvel and instantly one of their top three writers overall. That speaks to how bad things have gotten.

>>Cosmic Ghost Rider who is actually Frank Castle sounds like the usual run-of-the-mill mashup culture vomit you'd expect from every second shithead these days
>Yes, and your post reads like a typical psudo-intellectual co shithead.
Not sure what you're getting at or strawmanning here.
The Cosmic Ghost Rider reads nothing like anything Frank Castle could ever turn into. He read like Deadpool/every-other-living-meme-character.
Oh you say he might write a mini-series explaining how Frank got that way? So, a 4-issue series that removes all gravitas from a character and turns the character into literally any other living meme airhead character. Sounds profound.
I'm not even a Punisher fan, or a Ghost Rider fan, but saying the character is Frank Castle in the future was just a stupid "betcha didn't see that coming" moment that makes no sense. It should have just been Deadpool.

>The Cosmic Ghost Rider reads nothing like anything Frank Castle could ever turn into.
Yes, that`s the whole point. You see charachter acts different, you realise that something big had happened, that you are not in a world that you used to.
>He read like Deadpool/every-other-living-meme-character.
Every character that has mental problem and a sense of humor is deadpool!
>Oh you say he might write a mini-series explaining how Frank got that way?
I didn`t. You are having nice conversation with yourself.
>So, a 4-issue series that removes all gravitas from a character
It`s alternative reality.
>It should have just been Deadpool.
>I don`t like it because character acts lika a Deadpool, but i would liked it if there was real Deadpool
Okay.