Why did peeps get so upset about batman branding people in batmanvsuperman?

Why did peeps get so upset about batman branding people in batmanvsuperman?

I thought it was badass. Sure, he won't kill you, but he WILL beat the shit out of you and brand you. Seems like a good deterrent.

And it's not like branding a criminal is any worse than maiming and crippling them which is batman's canon MO.

So what's the big deal?

>So what's the big deal?
Snyder thought it was cool. And Snyder thinks things are cool on a granular level without ever considering the whole they form. That's why his works are comparatively hard to critique; every single MOMENT is great and optimized. But they are frequently heightened, optimized and maximized to the detriment of the whole.

do you have brain damage?

The problem with Batman is like a lot of problems with the Synderverse.
It's not just the act itself, it's a symptom of a whole that people latch onto.
For instance people had a problem with Batman being a murderous psycho in the movie because that's not their Batman. The brand was just a tiny very flamboyant flake of Batman being a totally shit Batman that went through a story we didn't even see.
Not to mention it was an element of a dropped plot point.

Reminded me of when the Phantom would punch people and leave his skull mark. I liked it.

>lel yur dump!

Come on dude. If you have an opinion, share it. Don't just sit there making a fool of yourself

It was framed in a way that suggested the criminals were being killed in jail for having the brand, wasn't it? Batman knowing that and then purposefully using it on criminals he wants dead is a shit idea.

I would have liked to see more of it. But we didn't get a batman movie so oh well.

I don't recall

Why the fuck would criminals care that their own got fucking destroyed by Batman?
Did Snyder think this shit through?

Batman has very autistic old school fans who don't like anything edgy
So no broken bones
No blood
no punching or kicking

The only thing he's allowed to do is tie people up

Exactly that's my point.
I won't lie, it's an interesting idea but executed poorly.
>Established but relatively fresh Batman
Easily Doable
>Experienced Batman who's done some living
Harder but no reason it can't be pulled off with the right angles
>Completely Fallen Batman who's lost a fucking Robin
I don't think there's any way to cold sell that especially in a crossover movie where he's essentially the antagonist.
If they wanted so much to be different I still think a long form Batman movie could've worked.

Yeah. Honestly i think a lot of the problem there is that DC is playing catchup to marvel and they're desperately trying to churn out as much as they can as fast as they can. Don't think we can entirely blame it on snydie

There's something egocentric about the branding that bothers me

Batman sees himself as a force of nature. Justice given fighting form. Leaving criminals with broken bodies is the naturally outcome of their misdeeds.

Signing it just seems tacky. That's why Spider-Man does it. It's not a big deal by itself, but when you consider all the other shit wrong with that movie, it's one of the million cuts the leads to the death

I don't mind showing a time where Bruce is in a dark place, becoming more ruthless, but the problem is we have no context of his previous crime fighting life prior to falling off the horse. It's like doing symbiote Spider-Man, but never seeing Peter before in his classic pajamas

Dropped Plot Point.
It's more Luthor scheming to make Batman look like a menace.
Because being a violent vigilante would probably sit wrong with Superman but he'd be a hypocrite if he just went after him for roughing up Human Traffickers and drug dealers. Making Batman look like he was feeding these guys to Prison gangs as a part of his perverted justice gives reason for Superman to want to step in.
It's not even catch up, it's trying to sprint past them, then wiping out and skidding on the pavement.

I don't see it as egocentric at all. I see it as a coherent element of his aim to spread fear in the criminal community. A highly visible sign that batman is here, batman took this guy you're talking to right now. He could take you too.

Batman breaks the limbs of street rats. The man a super martial artist and he can't stop a grunt without breaking his arm or leg? He's a sadist.
Police stop people all the time without sending them in hospital (well, not in the usa).

I'm not convinced he thinks anything through that far. I do remember it being framed that way in the movie regardless, but I could be wrong.

Is that really what was going on? Huh. They shouldn't have dropped that. It would have helped explain a few things and made Luthor look more like a schemer.

This. It lacked context. Yes, the audience can sit and think it over and fill in the gaps if they're familiar enough with the material. But I shouldn't have to spend my time at a theater filling up the director's plot holes.

If they had even taken a minute in Justice League and had Bruce drop a line about what a bad place he was in after Robin died, it would have helped to explain it.

Great, now you just reminded me that we'll never get a good live-action Phantom movie.
Basically this. If you're going to set up a grim more hardline Batman that's fine. Bit why do that in his first film, this kind of stuff only worked in The Dark Knight Returns because we had prior experience of a much more light-hearted Batman to compare and contrast with it.