So, I'm going through the MCU with my girlfriend since she's never seen most of the movies...

So, I'm going through the MCU with my girlfriend since she's never seen most of the movies. She really likes Black Widow, saying that she likes action movies and super hero stories but rarely gets to see a character she can relate to on deeper level, being a woman and all, and knowing that I'm a comic fan she has asked me for some suggestions on Black Widow stories.

Thing is, I'm really much more of a DC guy. I've read a lot of Marvel, but mostly the real accessible stuff. I have no idea which Black Widow stories are good, let alone good for a complete beginner.

Help me out, Sup Forums. What should she start with? Also general female friendly cape comics, I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

empoweredcomic.com/comic/volume-1-page-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Have her check out Empowered, it’s very cheesecakey, but Emp herself is a far more believable and relatable female Protagonists in a capeshit setting redone with a weeboo manga style.

Also Azzerello’s Wonder Woman and Journey into Myster starring Lady Sif and Ms Marvel by Brian Reed

Thanks, I'll check those out! On Empowered, how cheescakey are talking here?

Captain Marvel is only a year away now.

>Sup Forums recommended

Very, you won’t see tits or a cock, but you will come close, the cheesecake is mixed in with Emp’a own deep seeded body image issues and tends to add to the general humor of the series. After volume 1 is done and the random one to two pages skits end it starts building on its own story, and boy will it drag you down to feels town. When you find out about Mindfuck and Sistah Spookey it’ll just crush your heart

>Sup Forums recommending anything related to nu carol
You're sitting on a throne of lies.

You can read the first three volumes for free - the author/artist is doing a webcomic version with commentary: empoweredcomic.com/comic/volume-1-page-1

I'd recommend Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane - really cute, really well written (not the Terry Moore stuff, only the Sean McKeever stuff). I also love the first Black Widow run with Noto - amazing art.

The Marjorie Liu run was pretty good.

Alright. I'll explain this to her and see if she'll give it a chance.

I genuinely hopes she gives it a chance, yea it’s created by a guy who was commissioned to draw pictures of a heroine bound and in distress, but that running gag, heh, never gets old and when Emp does step up and be heroic, like at the super hero awards show, she does it in a big awesome way.

Black Canary is a far more compelling character. Have your gf read something more palatable to hipsters if that's her thing.

Oh, yeah, forgot about that - The Name of the Rose is excellent stuff. And great Acuna art!

If you want some good Black Widow stuff, try out Waid and Samnee's Black Widow. They delve into Natasha's past.

Also, Warren Ellis wrote an issue of Secret Avengers (#20) where Natasha gets stranded in time and does some really cool spy shit.

Would you stay in on a Friday night to watch movies, eat Chinese take out and snuggle with her Sup Forums? If you say no you’re a goddamn liar

Forgot my pic

Carol is one of the most beloved characters on Sup Forums

Thanks for the rec guys. So those would be the 2010 run and the 2016 run respectively, right?

Also are there any team titles in which she's a regular that are also good? Preferably from around the same time, so she doesn't get too confused by the whole sliding timescale thing.

The Ellis Secret Avengers story is top notch.

I personally think the Waid/Samnee run is pretty, but incredibly unsatisfying. I also like the 2014 run's art much more.

Also, Kelly Sue Deconnick did a really good two-shot arc in Avengers Assemble #12-13 for Widow. Especially good for movie fans.

Yep, you should also try the 2014 Edmonson run. The Phil Noto art is just gorgeous.

I like the Waid/Samnee run mostly for Natasha's characterization, the stuff from her past, and her relationship with Bucky.

The Bucky stuff was I thought a tease. Waid pulled a massive tease and abused all expectations. It was better than the way Brubaker left it, but it was really infuriatingly cowardly.

Nat's characterization was pretty bog standard. I didn't think her voice was really that interesting at all. And the past stuff...honestly, I'm so sick of Red Room stories. I think Waid pulled one too many for me.

>with my girlfriend

stopped reading there.

>he actually got serious replies

this really is Sup Forumsumblr.

Sup Forums has literally always been like this. You're welcome to stay, but leave your Sup Forums Sup Forums and /r9k/ shit at the door.

t.Newfags, I bet you think Sup Forums is Love is just a meme, before Sup Forums and Sup Forums infected this board Sup Forums was a shining example of how civil Sup Forums could be.

This

Bullshit.

I enjoyed Edmunsons black widow, it was a really fun spy story. Im not sure what the consensus is on the board but i found it a great read. I wasnt enthralled with waids.

Cassandra cain is my favorite female character at DC and her stories are collected in some new volumes