In what way was this racist?

In what way was this racist?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/f7yE8TKUB_M
youtube.com/watch?v=hiMw-8Ttu10
thegatewaypundit.com/2017/05/did-you-know-the-first-legal-slave-owner-in-america-was-black/
youtube.com/watch?v=S4D470YSl2Y
kimcartoon.me/Cartoon/Song-of-the-South/Movie?id=42642
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

subservient black man who enjoys regaling tales with moral lessons to white children

Also had this sort of air of making slavery seem like it was a pleasant time.

You talkin' like it weren't.

Meh. It's actually not that bad, it just has notoriety from being such a touchy subject paired with the fact that it's by Disney. It's not like like the film is supposed to romanticize slavery, or anything. By the way, he was the first black guy ever to win an Oscar.

I'm more mad that they took out the crows in Dumbo.

He was a sharecropper that was content with his life, and not cursing the white man with his every breath.

>not being mad about them taking out the best part of peter pan

youtu.be/f7yE8TKUB_M

This. It's literally Disney making a mountain out of a mole hill.

They should just release the damn thing with an intro basically saying "times were different then" like they do for wartime cartoons and be done with it.

Just to reiterate: I don't think that the portrayal of slavery is at all harshy accurate, but I also don't believe it was done with malicious intent.

He wasn't even a slave he was a sharecropper

To clarify, the film took place during Reconstruction, so they would have been sharecroppers, not slaves.

Naw saun, this is didney

they erase digitally sunflower from the Fantasia BD, also its WB who tried to release their cartoons with the blackface gags uncensored but give up half way and they only release cartoons uncensored as long as is not the whole of the cartoon, hence why the Censored Eleven and similar have not been released yet.

I forget that there was a time when white people just copied the other race out of fascination

>white people just copied the other race out of fascination
You mean out of the only information they knew about them. That's really what it is

So if he had spent the whole film saying "FUCK WHITEY! GIVE ME MY PROGRAMS!" would that have been better?

I want to fuck br'er rabbit.

Yep.

I would have been better if he fucked the fat black woman on top of the pancakes.

Guys, sharecropping wasn't that much better than slavery.

It's not, really. The main """problem""" with it is that Uncle Remus, a former slave, was NOT depicted as being resentful towards whitey and with a crushed spirit and a haunted, thousand-yard stare. He's as well-adjusted as anybody could possibly be after something like that, and Moral Guardians think that's unacceptable.

>In what way was this racist?
The Tar Baby scene is the only real "racist" thing I see.
youtube.com/watch?v=hiMw-8Ttu10
It's not something they can just edit out of the film, it's the biggest part of Be're Rabbit's story, and they can't digitally change it to honey like they did for Splash Mountain.

>much
1 is still better than 0

Yes. Black people and white people should never mix or be friends or admire each other's cultures. That's what passes for progress now.

I’m probably falling for some joke, but what do you mean ‘take out’? Those scenes are still in their films right? They’re not like Sunflower the black donkey centaurette frim Fantasia- the crows and the Injuns have scenes with actual important plot points that fuck up their stories if cut.

Can someone explain to me how the tar baby is even racist? I don’t get it.

no

I mean they had freedom to walk but that was it really besides crappy pay.

it was patronizing slang for black people at one point.

Reminder that the first slave owner in the American colonies was a black man.

thegatewaypundit.com/2017/05/did-you-know-the-first-legal-slave-owner-in-america-was-black/

Tar baby was literally based on an AFRICAN folk tale. It's not racys

It's from the actual original Anansi myth that was retold as a Brer Rabbit story though. Anasi's family makes a baby out of tar because they're sick of him eating all their fucking food so he gets stuck in it and dies. Again.

So user, if it's not racist, try to call a black person a tar baby and see their reaction.

Does that predate the written story or does it originate from the existence of the story itself?

I know it’s insulting to go call someone Little Black Sambo, but that’s as a reference to a pre existing work, and the work itself isn’t offensive just because of its random title.

He was a former slave

Not sure about the crows but I know they cut the "what makes the red man red" song from newer DVD releases of Peter Pan

I'm not saying they wouldn't think it's racist. They just don't remember the story's origins. It's an African folk tale. Not some stereotype made up by muh evil whitey. See

Yeah but it’s a very different thing to call a person a tar baby than it is to tell a story about a literal baby made of tar.

It was certainly still bad, but it was certainly far better than slavery. Being able to walk is what allowed for the great migration, so they could indeed leave if things got too bad. It also meant that their families couldn't be split up. As well, while Reconstruction failed, the freedom allowed for the establishment of rights as well as institutions that would pave the way for the Civil Rights movement. Not to mention that being a slave is simply by its nature an incredibly degraded position and reserved only for black people, while sharecropping was something that white immigrants would also endure (let no one tell you that the Irish were slaves in America). So the distinction is certainly an important one and worth noting when discussing the movie.

Not true and that is a picture of Fredrick douglass

why is it that the south seemed to want low wage workers the most? between slavery, sharecropping, and their desire to annex basically the entire caribbean (golden circle) they're basically the prototype of modern globalists and multinationals

The area allowed for profitable plantation agriculture that required minimal effort and therefore could practically be carried out on a large scale by a poorly incentivized workforce, and since this did not become impractical following the Civil War nor did the Feds do much of anything to prevent it, they simply found the next closest thing they could to achieve the same effect. Comparatively, Northern agriculture was more sensibly carried out on a smaller scale. The Golden Circle was mostly just a plot to make sure they didn't become irrelevant within U.S. politics.

>they took out the crows in Dumbo.
They did?

give me a download like for it

>Name your crow Jim

That was really bad.

>RESULTS FOR CARTOON

>Why does [person] want to pay less for [thing they want].

It's a fucking mystery

The fact that audiences at the time couldn't even tell if it was meant to depict a pre- or post-Emancipation plantation should tell you all you need to know about it.

Isn't this movie more "progressive" than anything. Br'er Rabbit is a part of slave folk lore and Disney making a movie on it is pretty good for the time. Did people really expect cutting social commentary from a kids movie featuring animated characters?

t. lolbergtardian

They do now, why wouldn't they then?

and yet somehow the north could have those things they wanted without wasting billions of dollars on an industry that constantly bleeds workers, supervisors and owners to the violence inherent in the system

This. Also the black actors weren't allowed to the premier.

Slave folklore, as filtered through a white dude, which then got diluted even further by Disney. In a movie that Disney made because they wanted to try to cash in on Gone with the Wind's popularity and box office success (up to and including casting Hattie McDaniel).

Why do white people make these posts?

It's not racist, but it is awkward in a way that only makes sense with historical context. Uncle Ruckus wasn't a slave, but he probably had been at one point, and probably on this same ranch. When the slaves were freed, they often didn't have anywhere to go, so they stayed as farmhands. That's the position Ruckus is in in this film, but that's not explained. Most people consequently assume he's supposed to be a slave. Once you understand the movie isn't glorifying slavery, it's a lot less uncomfortable.

Of course, I'm just a dirty racist.

Again, the economy was different, based around smaller scale agriculture and industry, which was brutal and dehumanizing in its own way (not saying it was as bad as slavery by any means, but the idea that they based their economy on the goodness of their hearts is nonsensical).

Because they get mad when we don’t act grateful to them. Seriously I’ve had whites get mad at me for not acting like it was a privilege to even be talking to them.

Like nigga, I don’t even know you and I worked for everything in my life. Get outta my face.

>they often didn't have anywhere to go, so they stayed as farmhands

That's a really nice way to completely gloss over some of the most horrible shit of Reconstruction.

>Never seen the movie
>Still know the song

pls stop derailing the thread, this is Sup Forums not Sup Forums

That's what happens when Disney wants to profit off of a song, but really does not want you to know where it actually came from.

>they cut the "what makes the red man red" song
I WILL FUCKING BURN DISNEY TO THE GROUND
>angry JonTron reaction image

My apologies, massa’

I never got it, why were the crows considered racist?

By modern standards, yes.

He's right tho.

>this is Sup Forums not Sup Forums

Which is why Sup Forums posts should be called out?

yes but you don't do that by making more Sup Forums posts dingus

Because they act and sound like the black actors that played them.

>Everyone who disagrees with me is racist

I'm not a fucking history major, I'm just a normal guy who went to public school. I guess they probably beat and rape their ex-slaves, since they didn't have anywhere else to go and couldn't just up and leave? I mean, I guess when I look at it like that, the movie is still insensitive.. but I'm still reluctant to call it racist, because it seems more idyllic and well-meaning than hateful.

I was joking, dude.

One of the crows was named Jim.

Holy fuck what

(not that user) i am the user you replied to and i got the joke

Bullshit, this scene aired on Freeform last year.

>Calling out "lolol welfare checkz" is Sup Forums

I mean, if we're going to make a thread about racism, what's the problem with people, you know, discussing racism?

because it's not a thread about racism. it's a thread about racist cartoons nigger

>Slave folklore, as filtered through a white dude, which then got diluted even further by Disney
It was made in 1946 what did you expect. As for the rest it's still something that they chose Br'er Rabbit because it isn't the first thought that comes when thinking Antebellum South, even today.

"It was a product of its time" is no better than "CURRENT YEAR" in terms of completely obfuscating the actual issue. It's the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand and pretending nothing is there.

I think he was saying don't reply and perpetuate the off topic discussion, like my post is doing right now. Sorry.

Tar Baby scene was one of them, since the term has racist connotations. Although you'll notice Br'er Rabbit sounds very much like Roger Rabbit, make of that what you will.

youtube.com/watch?v=S4D470YSl2Y

Straight white guys are salty that society isn't actively kissing their assess anymore.

>Ruckus
Best be jokin'

I'm not pretending nothing's there I'm taking it faults and all. It shouldn't be cast aside just because it's racially insensitive. Give it the same treatment ToonHeads gave old cartoons is what I want

It was controversial even at the time and they were keenly aware of that when they were making it. Disney attempted to make it as unoffensive as possible but that's not possible when depicting plantation life as idyllic is central to the film

I have an 35 mm scan I got of the internet its a really pretty movie.

>Zippity Doo Da is probably one of Disney's most well remembered songs
>the movie its from isn't even commercially available
Really gets my noggin a thumpin

>Chimp out and act like a spoiled shit in public.
>HOW COME WIPOPO DON'T LIKE ME?!

Who was half white

SHARE IT NIGGER

fuck off Sup Forums

Pregnant Anne Frank is a /his/ thing

I know, it just seemed to fit the thread and I wanted to post it.

because the north's economy wasn't based on cotton and other forms of agriculture wtf

the north had more farms than the south lol

Not what I said.

None. Most black people don't even care. Disney just wanted to cover their asses anyway.

HE'S NOT A SLAVE

Which Disney had nothing to do with. The premiere was in Atlanta and Atlanta was a racially segregated city. Should he have known better than to hold the premiere there? Sure. But I think the fact that he didn't stay, and in fact left for his hotel room immediately after introducing the cast, says something about how he must have felt about the whole affair.

>black people who had been farmhands all their lives and were beaten and chained daily could now either stay as farmhands and enjoy most of the freedoms and privileges of whitey or move up north where they could experience virtually all the freedoms and privileges of whitey
Horrible!

Why do black people feel they have to invent new reasons to get buttmad at white people?

kimcartoon.me/Cartoon/Song-of-the-South/Movie?id=42642
720p. Enjoy.

based uncle remus

thanks for the link lad