Comic event so good that nobody ever discusses it

>Comic event so good that nobody ever discusses it
What went so very right? It validated Identity Crisis for gods sake

Having 4 writers in their prime with little editorial interference if the writers notes in the trades are correct

Events will always be better if you just get the heavy hitters in the company at the time, sit them in a room and let them figure out a big thing that would make sense not only for whatever characters they're writing at the time, but the universe at large.

As I understand it, and I may be wrong, but the vast majority of event comics have been editorial-mandated, and given to one guy (Bendis, Snyder, whatever) to write the "main" book of, while other writers just have to bear the brunt of a completely different plot invading their story.

For as far-reaching and sweeping as it was, 52 was pretty self-contained. It didn't have tie-ins, it was an event comic between event comics.

Okay nerds. What's your favorite story thread? What's your favorite moment from it and why?
YOU CAN ONLY PICK ONE
Lost in Space for me. Watching Lady Styxx ravage that world despite Captain Comet and two Lanterns was more terrifying than ANYTHING Darkseid ever did. What happened to her?

Combo of DC riding high after Infinite Crisis and next to no editorial meddling.

It really was the perfect storm.

Also This

Hahahahaha no.
Noice try but youre not derailing this

I haven't read it in a long while but Skeets being ripped apart and revealing Mister Mind blew MY mind. I read it when I was really first getting into comics and 52 made me love Booster and Skeets quite a bit, and then that happened and it was a real oh shit moment for me. So I guess Booster's story.

>Douchebag sell-out Booster Gold
>Alcoholic Lesbian Latina and her Ginger Jewish Lesbian Batwoman ex have whacky funtimes in Gotham
>Black Adam starts a family and then loses it
>suicide child bombers
>Lex gives people powers before taking them away.
>Metal Supes bitching
What'd I miss?

Starfire, Animal Man, and Adam Strange

Oh right, the nobodies.

There was so little editorial interference it actually went completely off the rails from its original aims. It was supposed to explain what happened in the year they skipped for One Year Later, but in the end it turned into its own story.

It was a weekly idiot

man the space adventure was such a double edged sword. It was fun but for up until the new 52 reboot, all they could do with those characters was try and retell that story like 4 different times

52 came extremely close to being a huge mess multiple times and it was just good fortune they didn't end up writjng themselves 100% in a corner

I think that actually helped it. There was a genuine sense of ''what will happen next?'' instead of it feeling like it was just going through the motions like other events.

Youre a weekly idiot.

Every other weekly sucks.

Yoire an idiot if you don't think this was an event

World War 3 2 doesn't count as a tie in?

Much as I loved Renee and Vic interactions, it's gotta be Ralph's. Every other story is based around "lol I lied", but Ralph's bug reveal was "I know you lied"

>Ralph Dibney trolls us all.

They still dop Marvel/DC retreats with the big writers, that's how Legacy got started. And the best they got, was a buncha shitty oneshots and cavemen Avengers.

Nah just faust. You're thinking of Booster.
Also reminder that he went out of his way to flyby Lexs office just to fuck with him

Destroying Amanda Waller's character, thus being responsible for the disasters that were Suicide Squad (2011) and Suicide Squad (2016).

If I had the guts I'd storytime the whole thing, one issue a week for an entire year.

It wasn't even that good. Outside of Morrison penned stuff, it was an average comic. Waid, Johns and Cucka are mediocre writers. Waid's output in the 2000s was shit; Cucka isn't a good capeshit writer and Johns is Johns.

The island of mad scientists.

bad bait/10

>t.target demography for events

Man it was such lightning in a bottle
All of the writers in their A-game, little editorial mandates, a blank canvas for C list heroes in the wake of a giant crossover event
It's a miracle is was as great as it was and a shame Countdown killed it

Science island adventures with Drs Tom Morrow and Will Magnus.

Those fruits...

>Douchebag sell-out Booster Gold
READ
THE
ENTIRE
STORY
YOU
COCKSUCKER

Some people are just subhuman

I think it had a lot to do with all of the writers doing a good job of playing with each other. It seemed like they accented each other's strong points and toned down a lot of the idiocy.

It also helped that the heavy hitters weren't involved. It felt like a far more interesting, dynamic universe that was actually changing over the year.

Booster Golds funeral compared to Sue Dinbys

>I don't think Booster has even been to Detroit, Skeets?
>He has now, Sir

123 456 789

What did Morrison do again? For the most part only the Black Adam and Booster Gold parts were great. Problem is, everyone fucking shits on Adam so hard it's hard not to find him sympathetic despite the fact that they were trying to make him look "bad" by the end. Booster was cool and saw a rise in popularity for the character but Jurgens saw this and sinked his claws in him like a leech, Booster hasn't been good since.
Cucka's first person narration is shit and its jarring when you get this his parts, he's such a one trick pony that he could set things aside and work as a team for once and Renee is insuferable. Space stuff was kinda fun but felt very pointless towards the end,Infinity Inc was alright-ish but the scene with Natasha finding out Steel had powers was such hack shit I facepalmed. These unrealistic "no I won't let you explaaaaiinn" scenes piss me the fuck off. Batwoman was a mess of a character that got COMPLETELY revamped later in Detective Comics. The mad scientists were fun but once you realize they get to torture Adam without him ever getting revenge it kinda gets eh.
Ralph also felt too whinny for the most part.

Either The Rain of the Supermen or LIGHT UP THE WHOLE DAMN SKY.

No Man's Land was top tier, what are you talking about?

at least the space stuff and the super scientist island.

>LIGHT UP THE WHOLE DAMN SKY.
THIS ONES FOR THE BLUE AND THE GOLD

> Jurgens saw this and sinked his claws in him like a leech
Leeches don't have claws.

Gotta be the Luthor/Steel story.

>Johns is Johns.
Which is why the Luthor and Black Adam stories were good. He's not the best writer but he writes those guys well.

>when casuals call 52 an event

Let's compromise; he's a lamprey.

Not sure if want fuck

Black Adam VS Everyone in Week 50.

What counts as everyone?

Some species of leech do, like Richanus Johnstanos or Danus Jurgenzus.

>two shitty splash pages
Hyuk okay

>reminder that Didio fucking HATED 52, and would tell everyone how much he fucking HATED IT.

But why

I'm planning on starting to read DC runs after Infinite Crisis because I read it's an ok jumping on point. Will I understand anything if I read this 52 series or does it heavily rely on what happened previously? I don't plan on reading Infinite Crisis.

hes a cocksucking faggot and hates anything that isnt his idea :see rebirth

It references IC a lot, and Identity Crisis, but it's independent enough that you'll get by without 'em or with some wiki magic.

>I don't plan on reading Infinite Crisis.
Why not? It's fairly good.
Mostly you'll be asking "why were Animal Man Starfire and Adam Strange in space to begin with?" and "Wait, why are Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman taking an entire year off?" "How did Clark cut himself shaving?" and so on.
Lots of small questions, not a lot of big ones.

You really should read Infinite Crisis, but just read a summation of Identity Crisis, since Ralph Dibney's story comes out of it.

He didn't like some of the story choices made with it, but the actual reason he hates is that it was a nightmare to edit, was a massive time sink, and the whole thing went off the rails.

The Question/Renee stuff leading out of GC and into Batwoman: Elegy was great. Shame more wasn't done with Renee after. The Booster stuff and the sequel in 52 Pick-Up is probably my favourite, loved all that stuff. Honestly, there's probably just as much bad as good in 52, but the nice thing is there's something for everybody and it manages to tie together fairly well. (Except for the WW3 cop-out which I own but still haven't read.)

He's dumb then

Honestly, some of the One Year Later stuff is pretty bad, like Catwoman and Batgirl.
Infinite Crisis itself is actually good, but some of the better parts come from the lead-in miniseries (like Villians United).

Lady Styx was literally a Darkseid stand in. They didn't want to use the real deal because by that time he was overused, "being passed around like a bong" (I think it was Giffen who said that)

No, you're dumb. He's right.

Well it was spoopy. I don't remember Darkseid strapped a flayed alive hero to the bow of his flagship after demolishing a world.

>Well it was spoopy. I don't remember Darkseid strapped a flayed alive hero to the bow of his flagship after demolishing a world.
...Sauce please?

52 #31

hot

So who exactly were these dudes?

He's also projecting his horrified thoughts to any being in a 50ly radius

They were the aliens who gave him his powers way back in Morrison Animal Man.

Tortured, broken, and shamed? Excuse me for half an hour. I gotta take care of something

Ominous

Infinite crisis is where DC started to decline.

Even the Booster idea come from Morrison, but I hated what it did to Booster Gold. He was a far better character under Giffen and Dematteis.

S O B E K
O
B
E
K

DC one Million is superior.

Pretty straightforward if you ask me.

>so good
All I read is three okay writers breaking their backs trying to ape Morrison, more often than not bringing the overall quality of the story down.

Always hungry hahaha

Is that Captain Comet?

nah

it was a lot like a tv show, which usually doesnt work in comics but it worked here. i dont know it just seemed like everything clicked with all the side characters and you got all these interesting stories.

That would be Blake, yes.

but its sense been retconned that they were just The Red trying to get his mind to understand his infusion. So are they real?

8/10

Is he important to dc?

They were later shown to be 'agents' for the Red. I am guessing... contractors?

Comet man being skewered and that Mantis lantern being made into a necklace was pretty sad.

Lasting for a solid week before running out of charge and having the guardians deactivate their rings was pretty fucked too

Mantis Lantern was also an old character so pretty sad to see him be turned into a fucking necklace and Comet Man's waifu being turned into a semen dump was pretty fucked up. Whatever happened to that storyline anyway?

Hes extremely obscure and has only had like two other appearances in any comic since. In that comic he was fighting without sleep holding off a planetary invasion for like a month straight until he finally gave in to exhaustion. Lucky for him one of his powers is reincarnation.

He was an earing. Also it wasn't Captain Comets waifu. It was his young soldier friends fiance. He went back to try and help Comet and got gutted and turned into a zombie.

>See, the sky is burning
Fuck man

Lobo