Wew

wew

Other urls found in this thread:

adherents.com/lit/comics/Superman.html
scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/25095/is-there-an-in-universe-evidence-reflecting-that-clark-kent-is-methodist-as-opp
fanzing.com/mag/fanzing09/iview.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is a non-answer.

Also, God is canon to the Rebirth DCU by virtue of Constantine.

Why is it so impossible for characters to be christian anymore in fiction, unless they're evil and use it for evil purposes?

because god is gay and only gaylords use him to justify their plans

are you gay user

what does the image in the OP have to do with christianity

Because he's Superman. He's been to the beginning and end of time. He's wrestled angels. He's dated goddesses. He grew up able to hear his whole town sinning and as an adult, he can hear the viewpoint of everyone on earth full of conviction that they are right.

Superman could be a christian after all of that, but it's not a surprise that he isn't. It's definitely not a surprise that he gives a polite non-answer even to his own son, because in his heart he wants to be the Superman to the world, not the Superman of christians.

And then Bendis going to turn Supes into a jew

Because Superman is historically christian, yet he waffles and gives a non-answer in regards to god to his 10 year old son.

Pretty sure in the Silver Age he worshiped Rao.

He's a protestant, likely methodist, canonically.

Don’t worry Bendis is planning on making him Jewish.

he's jewish

>why am I persecuuuuuuted

Even if he was raised christian he's seen so much shit his understanding of god is more complex than a guy who gets angry when you touch your dick and wear mixed fabrics.

kek

Zauriel still exists, though his only fans are people who are triggered by Hawkman for some reason.

Daredevil's still Christian. There really aren't many other characters who openly express any religious beliefs. The only others I can think of are Blue Devil, Nightcrawler and Miss Marvel

Don't you have a Pureflix movie to masturbate to?

>Universe were literal gods, ghosts, and magic shows up all the time
>Guy who fights these things regularly, like has personal punched the actual satan in the cock
>Surprised he doesn't full-on worship a god when he knows for a fact there is more than one and multiple universes and shit
>has experienced his soul being sucked out and shit so he knows there is "something"

>This is a non-answer.
How so? Superman clearly believes in a higher power. Doesn't matter what label you put in it.

First, why are you taking this so personally as to attack me? Second, why are you assuming I'm christian? Get a life.

Why does a non-Christian care about Christian representation?

Because even in a work of fiction like a comic book, your fiction is too ridiculous.

He never was, Brian

Honestly, it's pretty impossible for any characters to be any form of religious anymore. Hell, even Ms. Marvel barely counts as a Muslim these days, no one gets a pass.
I think it's two fold. 1) most of the "Writers" these days are the kinds of people who hate virtually every religion out there because it tells them they're bad people, or 2) are okay with religion/religious themselves but don't talk about it because the first group will eat them alive.
There's even an organization called "freedom from religion" that goes around and files lawsuits at almost anything religious because "it persecutes people by making them see religious things."

please no

Because as a Superman fan, I care about Superman. This isn't incredibly hard.

Well it was sometimes implied that he worshiped the same God as his parents:

adherents.com/lit/comics/Superman.html

It seems as though the Kents weren't firmly established as a Methodist until 2007:

scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/25095/is-there-an-in-universe-evidence-reflecting-that-clark-kent-is-methodist-as-opp

>BRUCE BACHAND [interviewer]: Do you see Superman as a man who prays and/or worships God regularly? If so, what would the Man of Steel pray about from your perspective?

>Elliot S! Maggin: I give all my characters religions. I think I always have. It's part of the backstory. It's part of the process of getting to know a character well enough to write about him or her. ..... Luthor is Jewish (though non-observant, thank heaven). .... Clark - like the Kents - is Methodist. Superman is something else, but I never did buy all that Kryptonian "Great Rao" nonsense......

fanzing.com/mag/fanzing09/iview.shtml

Pic related shows him going to who is presumably his pastor for advice.

Sure blame the god for something you people did to yourself.

He's trying to explain his beliefs without telling his son who or what to worship.

Okay, so why would you care so much about whether or not Superman is a Christian? How does that impact his character at all?

Why are women allowed to be so shitty in fiction and in real life.

Wasn't G-d murdered, and Lucifer is the prime suspect but didn't actually do it and has to have metaphysical adventures while dodging the angelic fuzz to clear his name?

>>Should I believe in God? Rao or whoever?
>Rao

Hell yeah God's pasta and pasta sauce are the bomb.

Krypton had every chances to escape Krypton the unstable planet. But being the retards that they were, they decided to stay and ban spaceships.

Because he can demonstrate humbleness in that regard. He can stand toe-to-toe with beings that can rip dimensions apart, but a christian root keeps him grounded. Superman is a person for everybody on earth to identify with and in a public sense he should be unidentified in regards to religious affiliation, but the person that Clark grew in to and that shaped Superman is defined by small town america christian values.

>Because he can demonstrate humbleness in that regard.
He already does believe in a higher power that humbles him. Its literally in the op. It doesnt need to have a label. His belief can relate to anyone who isnt a dirty atheist.

How the FUCK do you worship YHWH when:

1. You know about how fucked up the Specter is. YHWH bound his spirit of vengeance to a cop with severe mental issues.

2. You know that the Silver City isn't perfect and personally kicked an archangel's ass because they wanted to drag back your teammate Zauriel who is also an angel.

3. The Presence and Silver City gave up on this universe and started moving to another universe when Mageddon showed up. You had to literally eat an anti-sun to save the day because God wouldn't.

4. God and his angels got BTFO by a story vampire who you plus every Superman ever plus Nix Uoatan defeated.

Please explain to me how Superman would ever think to worship YHWH under these circumstances.

Since when?

>Clark is Methodist
>Superman is something else

That's interesting. So he's culturally Christian, like how Japanese are culturally Shinto without actually believing in spirits?

>The man of tomorrow
>Doesn't believe in evolution

Which sidesteps the original question of why he can't be christian any more. If he identifies as a specific denomination, how does that make him unrelatable to others if they can at the core of it understand that his faith and humbleness makes him a great man?

I can relate to Kamala Khan despite not being a muslim, because I can contemplate and understand the frustrations in respecting and believing in your religion which at times runs afoul of things you want to do as a young person. That's some good shit, and I love to see it in her book. If Kamala were asked about her religion and gave the same spiel as in OP, I would call it a massive cop out for her not laying down what it is that keeps her in her specific religion.

>be Protestant
>believe in evolution
>people think you don't because reasons

Kek. This is why Superman is so shit now. Whatever happened to the good old days when Superman used to have respect for his motherland and worship Rao. They keep pushing for this dumb redneck characterisation of him now.

>I'm definitely not Christian guys
>But I vehemently care that this character does not pointlessly ascribe to a single religion, even though it would change nothing and his positive characteristics can exist entirely independently of religion

Shouldn't you be busy whining about how Christians are the really oppressed people in Americas?

post some examples of what you consider a good superman comic, fake fan

Anything before Byrne's MoS.

>still can't give an example
supes is canonically jewish anyways

I think the plot was about an evil fragment of god framing him or something. All I remember about that is that the series didn't really follow Sandman canon, and that Metal ignored it completely.

If only you could spend the same amount of time adding to positive conversations that you do jerking off in a Rick and Morty-tier anti-religious fervor. I don't have to be christian to see that Clark is a christian character, but that it's being obfuscated or outright ignored despite it being a normal and positive aspect to his character.

Why is Golden Age Superman always such a prick?

Did a priest rape you or something?

>Muh family's dead and you're a shitty god because you didn't save them!
>You always be protecting everyone but you couldn't save one family!

Lady, Thor protects you from threats that are literally out there to devour the fucking planet. It's not up to him to save everyone, one at a time. It's up to him to fight threats that could destroy everyone in one fell swoop. That's why Thor can not be held responsible for when Jimmy dies getting smacked by a car. It's not part of his job to try to save everyone, one at a time.

I'm sorry but I just hate that this is played straight. It's nonsensical to blame heroes for when something goes wrong in your life and they weren't there to help you. I'm sorry that Reed Richards didn't cure your mother of cancer. He's got more important things to do, like fending off the galaxy from some alien threat or dealing with Dr.Doom's bullshit.

>that get
yeah, that guy defiantly got raped by a priest.

Does any hero ever just snap and tell them off?

Daredevils catholic isnt he?

It's definitely a possibility if he's catholic.

Not a civilian but Booster Gold called Cyborg out when he was talking shit about the JLI.

inb4 >tumblr

>Hey lady, where were you when my teammates were getting slaughtered by psychopathic space monsters that hate all life? Cowering in your home, with your loved ones, praying I'll save you?

>God I sure do wish I had someone to project all responsibility for the things in my life on. I bet it would feel nice.

>Hey you know how you spend your life running away from the evil space monsters? Guess what I spend my life doing?

Superheros calling out the ingrates is elder god tier. I have no idea why heroes don't do it more often. Sure, I wouldn't want Superman or Captain America to do it. But there are plenty of heroes with the right personality to tell Marvel civies to just go fuck off.

>Superhero goes full "weak should fear the strong"
>Muh punching down
>Muh privilege
>Muh superheros shouldn't talk like that

Oh god, I'd kill to see a superhero make the obnoxious normie that yells at them like they're a fast food employee that got their order wrong piss their pants.

I remember back in the 90s when I was reading Green Lantern comics freshly delivered to my mail box. I got hardcore into GL after reading my dad's copy of Emerald Twilight and some of the comics that came before and after it

Kyle somehow had attained all the power of the central battery and took on a new name Ion. He could literally be in hundreds of places all across the world saving people from even mundane shit like being smacked by a car or falling down a staircase.
Superman pulled him aside and showed him how online hundreds of groups who worshipped Ion were starting up. Compared to Superman's dozens. Kyle says something like "If this is your welcome to the big league's speech, then its pretty shitty"
Superman replies something like "No. This is your reminder that the difference between a god and a tyrant is letting people choose to make a mistake."

I miss when Superman had such complexity and depth to his speeches

How is noting that the persecution complex Christians currently have going on is dumb particularly anti-religious? They can practice whatever they want, and they're fine for doing so, but then you have the idiots who pretend they're oppressed because we need to put the Christ back in Christmas and other such garbage.

There is nothing about being a good and humble person that is distinctly Christian. Only a really dumb Christian would think otherwise.

Golden Age Superman was only a prick to people who deserved it.
Silver Age Superman...well idk

>"WHERE WERE YOU WHEN MY EX AND SON DIED?"
>Jane, verily, I was fighting the very forces of Surtr himself, with the whole host of Asgard with me. Herculies was helping young Cho fend off an attack of Skrull Gods. We Gods help where we are most needed, in the darkest of hours, and sometimes that means things happen.
>But I will tell you the Truth, Jane. The Gods do not have power over Fate, we are as subject to its workings as any mortal. Even if I had been here Jane, I could not have saved them if it was their Fate to die, just as no one will be able to save me on the day I face Jormungandr, the world serpent. All my power, all that I can do, will not save me. Not even Odin has the power to deny fate its end. Even if I had saved them from the accident, some other fate would have befallen them.
>Instead, be grateful for the time you had with them, and know you shall see them again in Helheim, and let this bring you peace. The Gods did not let you down Jane Foster, it is simply the way life is for Gods and Mortals alike.

Jane Foster does not fucking deserve Thor, at all.

Didn't Captain America do that on tv in one comic?

Did he? Please post it if he did.

>I miss when Superman had such complexity and depth to his speeches
Superman has never been known to give iconic speeches. That's Captain America's deal. Superman just provides insight into the responsibilities of heroes with powers that could potentially corrupt them. You seem to be implying that Superman's talk with his son in OP lacks complexity and depth. Why does he need to be deep when talking to his son? It honestly just strikes me that you don't read Superman at all.

He (likely you) made it about me somehow being a christian. Fuck off with your altruistic interpretation of the conversation, you know exactly what he (you) was doing and what he (you) was going for with it. It was nothing but bait and ad hominem to try and dismantle the fact that Clark's christian upbringing defined him as the adult he grew up to, which it certainly did.

If Clark were raised muslim or buddhist by good people like Jon and Martha that showed him the positive natures of those religions, he'd be just as good of a man (oh shit, did I just crush your potential trolling?), but somehow it's shameful or inappropriate nowadays for him to admit to what his religious background is. Fuck off with that. I'd be pissed if he were a muslim and it had to be erased for PC expedience, just as I articulated here If you can't understand that and want to just troll, at least have the gumdrops to admit to your transparently obvious bullshit.

I know people say Cap is the Marvel Earth's Superman, but I swear its Thor.What's the source by the way?

>race/sex/gender/culture/religious identity is important
>we need more representation of race/sex/gender/culture/religion.
>hey, how come I don't have any representation anymore?
>shut up you crybaby faggot! why do you think representation is important?
really activates my almonds.

>but somehow it's shameful or inappropriate nowadays for him to admit to what his religious background is.
It's not shameful. Its just not necessary. That's like Iceman constantly mentioning he's gay. It isn't necessary.

Just stop posting.

>tfw Thor visits a different veterans meet every Thursday bringing five kegs of quality beer and mead with him to honor heroes.

i don't know where the images are if i saved them, sorry user

>GOD HATES YOU
How vague.

Good page though.

I thought it was obviously the "GOD HATES FAGS" thing.

>constantly
Who is calling for it constantly? When has that condition EVER been brought up in this thread? We're not discussing Bible Man in this thread, you queer. Are you really reeling that far on your heels from being verbally beat down and having your trolling attempts brought ot light? We're talking about a one-on-one conversation between a father and son regarding religion, happening in the panels in OPs post.

Believe it or not that pic is actually from Jason Aaron's run too, that run started fine with the Gorr arc and started going downhill right after with that mediocre Malekith arc until it completely went to shit Jane as Thor.

Hey, I just wanna say, I like the eyemask look for John. It'd make a nice addition to his regular costume.

Why the fuck would I worship a God when I can manhandle Gods? And that's not even a bad answer. Take the propaganda googles off.

Why would you worship a god when you just beat one up last week, see one's daughter every time you go to work, and know a guy who shrinks them and keeps them in bottles?

The fuck every Superman book going rn gotta involve Jon? Such an annoying little faggot. I'd rather more of the Lois' dad subplot in Action than more of that little cunt

Actually, Supes, the concept of God is the concept of something that encompasses all things that exist, will ever exist, and have ever existed.

By definition, if God exists then God would absolutely be 'everything'.

You stupid motherfucker, you're supposed to be a genius.

Is there anything gayer than militant atheist edge lords?

Correct

Context is that a planet of religious fanatics allowed their world to be destroyed because they saw it as an action of their god. They saw loving their god as "everything" and he's clearly disappointed he couldn't save them from being blown up.

Uh... Daredevil's Catholic. Stark used to be a Secular Christian. Constantine counts as "Christian-Something". Punisher was on his way to become a Priest, but dropped out because he didn't forgive. Most runs have him accepting that he'll face penance for his crimes in Hell.

yeah, christfags for one

Higher power isn't the same as saying you've seen too much to not believe in "something" particularly when qualified with that last part of the same sentence. I don't believe in intelligent design in the same way many believe it's a sign from god, but the fact that science can provide "proof" of a formula for aspects of existence and nature certainly suggests that there is something to idea of a 'meaning' of life, the universe and everything (more or less).

I think it's fairly telling of just how much Aaron shits the bed when we get told that Jane Foster is the one who carried Mjolnir best, but we never see her do anything with Mjolnir that we haven't seen Odinson do and do better. We never see her do anything like pic related or that other page posted above.

As a fellow Superman fan who cares about Superman, I think you're conflating 'christian' and 'small town values' - I grew up in a small town (and not a mid-western one, but one near the pacific) as a catholic alter boy and I still have my small town values but not my catholic ones (although I'll fully acknowledge that my upbringing had a great deal to do with who I am today)

And by small town values, I mean things like we didn't lock our front doors or lock our car doors when I was taking grocery shopping as a kid - in that I'll still trust someone on first meeting them and let them let me down, or disabuse/misuse that trust before taking it away, for example.

Through She never says she wanted to be better than Thor.

She respects thor. In that page, she was sad about her family and wanted to blame it on thor.

Because Christianity is a retarded religion for brainwashed ignorants.

lol are americunts still struggling with this shit?

lmao what a pack of uncivilized savages

Was really hoping we'd get something like this in one of Thor's films. A little montage of his Earth adventures would've made a great intro to Thor 2

Yes it's far better to worship capitalist megacorporations that tell you how to think and what to buy.

They are both equally retarded. But Christianity more.

Nice. I like that