Moomin Thread

Moomin Thread

Post your Moomins.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/j0YK1VQ5hFU?t=9m40s
youtube.com/watch?v=oEsMhIrREe0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Moominpapa is truly my favorite character.

can someone explain to me the difference between mymble (my's sister) and mymble (my and snuffkin's mom)

One could get you arrested in America.

You just described it exactly.
The elder Mymble is the mother of Little My, Snufkin and the younger Mymble.

secret moomin

how come they have the same name? Wouldn't that get confusing?

It'd be more confusing if they had different names.

Moomins is not Japanese.

>>>/retard/

based Muumipappa

this is verging into Boston and Shaun territory

I just realized 25-year old My would probably fuck like a beast and be way too much woman for me to handle

1) Moomin is also a comic
2) Moomin is not japanese
3) don't lecture others when you're ignorant

> not murder this time
> this time
come again

Don't worry about it.

why are there so many talking onions in this strip

it's their hairstyle

Is there any place I can read Moomin online? I would really like to.

I didn't grow up with Moomins at all but it sure looks cute.

Moomin is from FINLAND!

He's got a terrible case of a midlife crisis and he really wants to be an adventuring rebel. In that particular strip, he's making up lies because he wants to impress Snufkin with some tall tales.

Is that a bong on the table?

> you have one picture to be as Finnish as possible
short of having knives and guns in the picture this seems spot on

It's an oil lamp you dildo

to be fair there are strips with drugs involved

>there's a Moomin equivalent to Sailor Moon snorting coke off of Tuxedo Mask's cock

I don't think so. I've seen random strips here and there, but no complete scans of any books/stories.

p-post it?

don't fuck with moominmama

cute desu

I love the crazy logic of moomins.

More like
>>>/spurdospar.de/

I've only heard about these things because one of their comics was on Nick magazine once upon a time

I love moomin. If any of you ever get to go to tokyo, seriously go to moomin cafe. it's great.

there's a moomin cafe? Wow.

they let us sit with moomin and snork maiden. (not the little moomin, they moved the big one with us)

cute

God i love snufkin hes so chill and sweet

yeah it's adorable. the food is surprisingly good. they also do coffee art and you can pick which character you want. i picked snufkin

This one was smaller than moomin but she is little my i guess. One more and then i'm done, just wanted to gush about the cafe.

Gaaaaayyyy

Not just one. There's three in Japan right now.

Fuck man you're lucky. I heard they used finnish styled food for the cafe to keep it authentic, like using rye bread.

I'm not sure how popular moomin actually is in japan. I was surprised by the amount of people with moomin bags and shirts. Might be a flavor of the month, or it's genuinely a big thing. The cafe would take groups every 40 minutes, it was in the mall with the tokyo aquarium on top.

I think my goal in life is to design a character or comic so cute that it blows up somewhere. Imagine seeing tons of people wearing your little character too. would be really cool.

>finnish style food
I'm finnish and I'm sorry for foreigners who have to taste our food but somehow even sorrier for those who eat it voluntarily

>Might be a flavor of the month,
theyve been popular over there for decades. Especially Little My.

It's arguable that Japan adores moomin more than the Finland does. They are getting their own Moomin park this year or the next, and have more stores, cafes, and sites for Moomin than any other country.

>I think my goal in life is to design a character or comic so cute that it blows up somewhere. Imagine seeing tons of people wearing your little character too. would be really cool.

That sure is the dream, isnt it? Moomin were one of those character designs that were so appealing for their simplicity and charm. And simplicity is hard to replicate without having people compare to the original.

Bear in mind it's Japan. Odds are they 'Japan' the fuck out of it for Japanese tastes. Kinda like with American Chinese food.

I can see that for sure. It's crazy how wild popular it is there. there's tons of flavor of the month stuff there so striking out for a decade is just wild.
I've experimented with designs for little cute things, but as you said, it's hard to reach that balance between way too simple and way too overdone.

I honestly never liked little my but yeah they love her there. it's wild. all those shirts with sassy looking little mys and some quip on them in english. It's so funny to see.

I have never had very finnish food, but ive had that pastry that starts with a k with the egg on it. wasn't bad.

Nordic food is easy to make.
Just look in your spice rack, throw everything in the trash.
Then cook food.

That's Karjalanpiirakka. It's not half bad. Next time go for Mämmi. It's basically poop in a box. Yum!

Moomin actually did start a craze in of itself: Japan had a big love affair with Europe in the 80s and 90s thanks to Moomin's success. We got a fuckton of anime shows based off European comics at the time, such as Spaceship Sagittarius.

But Moomin itself was the OG and was what opened Japan's eyes to a world of comics beyond manga and american work. It was so well beloved that the first Moomin television series was initially given a poor reception due to how much they changed the source material. Fucking Miyazaki himself voiced his distaste for the adaptation, and it got so bad that the studio working on it was outright dropped halfway through production, allowing a studio more faithful to the source to take over for the run of the first series.

Then the early 90s anime came out. That's the one most people are aware of. (All of the model sheets in the thread are from it.)

man, the anime series is freaking awesome. I grew watching that as a kid.

Anyone else own the Moomin ultimate biblio?

It runs for about 80 Dollar online.

Moominpapa made his fortune as a famous highwayman who regularly killed and raped high class individuals before meeting Moominmamma, (at the time Moominzaza) during one of his raids. He was so overcome by her lackadaisical attitutde that didn't even realize that she was being robbed or being threatened by rape, and eventually settled down with her. However Moominpapa was forever on the run from the Constables and the Royal Guard; for his crimes will forever haunt him.

I've been meaning to make scans on my Ultimate Biblio; however I don't know how to make quality scans.

Perhaps I can make a loan to a scanner, if there are any.

Take the book apart.
Scan black and white pages as grayscale, 300 or 600 dpi in a flatbed scanner.
Adjust levels if needed, rotate the pages if they end up a little off, then crop them and finally scale to a desired resolution.
Black and white pages can be saved as PNG with a palette of 32 shades, or 16 if you don't see any difference.

>Final comic in the book ends with Moomin shrinking away to nothing and it's left ambiguous if he'll ever come back

is the anime properly subbed? I keep hearing that it's impossible to watch it properly translated

Which one?

If you mean Moomin, the second anime is properly subbed, I know that for sure. It was translated, subbed, and dubbed into dozens of languages. The first anime was never translated, but I am sure there is a fansub for it somewhere.

As for Spaceship Saggitarius, that did get fully subbed, but the sub is of meh quality. Still, it's a fun series to watch.

youtu.be/j0YK1VQ5hFU?t=9m40s

Best scene in all of Moomins run time

And for clarification, the scene this user posted was from the original anime. "New Moomin" is meant to convey that this is the proper series, rather than the poorly adapted version the original anime was. Think of it like a second season.

I can't really recommend the first half of the original, but I do encourage fans to check out the second half of it.

only 26 episodes of the 90's anime of moomin have been subbed to english, the other two versions from the 70's haven't been subbed at all

It also gave us a comfy movie.

>the one comic that's both Sup Forums and Sup Forums related was made by a Finnish woman
Truly the strangest timeline

Fuck you for making me laugh at this

It's the most delicious poop I've tasted though

Wasn't she also from the Swedish speaking minority in Finland?

Yeah and a lesbian.

this is the single most finnish panel I've seen in my life.

Oh my, I don't wish to destroy my beloved Biblio! Is very comfy collector's item!

>he didn't mean to kill you!
>Yes, I did.

>do you feel better now?
>Where's my keg of rum?

epic bantz

I would pay good money for a good quality English subbed DVD set for that series(either Finnish or Japanese dub would be fine), or maybe even them doing a new English dub for it(since the original English dub didn't cover the entire series)

wonder if we could get Discotek to do it, since they like tackling niche series like that(well niche in the US)

that looks disgusting. what's it made of?

that's a wild history lesson. But man, that's super cool. also space Sagittarius looks cute af.

basically me

>Spaceship Sagittarius
I ran into this shit online sometime around 2010, found it cool, and somehow forgot the next day. Thank you so much, user.

Dank thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=oEsMhIrREe0

WELL FUCK

Didn't know lesbian was a nationality.