Kubo

What's the point of making the film in stop-motion when it just ends up looking like regular, albeit slightly prettier, cgi?
Also, if you put in all that effort into the animation why let the actual story be so bland and ankle-deep?

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/2011/01/20/132650631/new-language-discovered-prairiedogese
youtube.com/watch?v=qOSdo9wQcAw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>slightly prettier
There you go

> if you put in all that effort into the animation why let the actual story be so bland and ankle-deep?
Because that level of animaiton with a good story would be perfection, and we can'tbe happy

>What's the point of making the film in stop-motion when it just ends up looking like regular, albeit slightly prettier, cgi?

Because the son of the co-founder of Nike really likes it.

Kubo was so fucking good. I loved how they made the theme about humanity.

When you really think about it what separates us from both the lifeless universe and animals are our stories and little else.

Did the beetle fuck the monkey?

>Because the son of the co-founder of Nike really likes it.
That explains it. Travis Knight seems like a cool bloke.

Both canonically and head-canonically

>When you really think about it what separates us from both the lifeless universe and animals are our stories and little else.
This blew my mind a bit. Wonder if animals have some form of storytelling.

Whiny baby.

So who else got their mind blown when they found out what the title actually meant?

That webm is what I'm talking about.
Seeing the actual work behind the animation is indeed impressive and stimulating, but the final product is not that distinguishable on screen from any other cgi film.
I really appreciate the effort and care for detail that goes into the art of stopmotion, but I honestly enjoy it more when it's more apparent that its stopmotion.
Like, Fantastic Mr. Fox wasn't as aesthetically pleasing but the animation was more enjoyable just because it was clear that it was all stopmotion.

>the final product is not that distinguishable on screen from any other cgi film
You need to get your eyes tested. Or your brain scanned.

>Like, Fantastic Mr. Fox wasn't as aesthetically pleasing but the animation was more enjoyable
Seriously... Eyes. Brain. Stat.

The two strings being his parents?

I stand by my opinion, but I'll take you up on that brain scan. Haven't had one of those yet.

>but the final product is not that distinguishable on screen from any other cgi film

Even if that was true,and it is not, people still spend months on a drawing/painting to make it look like a photo, art is not just about thr final product

I didnt like Mr Fantastic Fox. There, I said It.

Dont you fucking dare insult kubo by comparing it to CGI shit

what if we gave laika fired pixar writers?

Yes, but still I think the film would have been better off making the stopmotion more discernable.

I didn't find the story particularly engaging or enjoyable, but I loved the animation.
I watched both Kubo and Fox today, that's why i compared them).

Not insulting the film. Just think it's a bit unnecessarilly CGI-y than it had to be.

MEMES JACK

Obviously it isn't going to look very difficult when you're The Flash.

Frankly I hated Fantastic Mr. Fox. I grew up with that story, and the adaptation/modernization is a slap in the face to the original story.

And then there's the sloppy animation, which made it felt like they only chose stop-motion to attract all the hipsters who would flock to it simply because.

I get what you are saying, seeing the stop motion "effect" is appealing even if it is not stop motion.

Beyond communicating "DON'T EAT THIS, POISON!" not really. Or at least not that we know of.

There was a study where someone wearing a caveman mask was a dick to a small handful of crows. After a while, crows that hadn't even seen the mask personally would harass anyone wearing it, so crows apparently have the capacity to communicate details about dangerous people.

Are we certain crows aren't just racist against cavemen?

its Wes Anderson. Of course it was Artistic reasons above all else.

>when it just ends up looking like regular, albeit slightly prettier, cgi
I disagree, stop-motion always feel years beyond more real than cgi, stop motion makes you feel that there is actually something there.

I won't discuss if one is better looking than the other, but certainly on screen they don't look alike at all

I don't think that it looks the same as cgi at all. I think it's amazing that almost everything in the movie exists in real life.

Counterargument, some things just aren't possible with stop-motion and are much better accomplished by CGI.

It’s not sloppily animated, the imperfections were lovingly and deliberately hand-crafted to give the product a more whimsical and endearing feel to it.

And he's still worth about $4 billion alone. So even if Laika has a few flops, they could afford it

t. eyelet

Yeah, Laika is basically just his fucking yacht.

A really cool yacht that he shares with the rest of us, which is nice.

They tried it again with different sets of masks, some of which were designated to be dicks to crows and others to be neutral. The crows went after the ones that had been dicks, so we know they don't just hate cavemen and/or masks.

cgi reminds me of puppetry AND stopmotion.

it's basically same thing, except you have more freedom when it comes to camera usage.

too bad this looked like 3d cgi garbage. why did they make it like a typical modern boring 3d movie even though they put in much effort on analog stuff
try it again. make it like pingu

>Laika gets pixar writers
>its the Cars 3/Finding Dory schmucks
Thats a monkeys paw youre dealing with there, user

they could use some help if they want to make commercially succesful movies.
or else they will stuck making kino

This.

Nike Money = Just do it.

I know, I go back and forth because while nike blood money ate Will Vinton Studios, Laika has produced some really beautiful films.

If your going to have disproportionately wealthy people, I just wish more of them had kids with actually good taste in media so that their passion projects like Laika actually produce awesome culture.

Prarie dogs too, it seems.

npr.org/2011/01/20/132650631/new-language-discovered-prairiedogese

Stop-motion has the same advantage as traditional animation in that it'll always look timeless.

Compare something like Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit to Madagascar or Hoodwinked. Compare Coraline to Monsters vs Aliens or Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs.

CGI will always become outdated as the technology improves.

Isn't that just a slightly different retelling of the false 5 monkeys and a ladder story?

Stop-motion, hand-drawn, and CGI are different methods with different looking outcomes.
They're as interchangeable as watercolour, oils, and acrylics.

I think I know what you're talking about, but context please?

but 2D/stopmotion takes much more effort, and it's not as "elastic" as CGI. see: Frozen or Zootopia

we're stuck.

Elastic?

cant find good word atm , you can rearrange the characters and places on the go

I think you mean "flexible"

that too!

also we're stuck to CGI because everyone looks up to disney.

No we're stuck with CGI because it's cheaper and easier, unless you mean looks up to disney for financial production decision reasons, because that's why they switched to CGI.

Trolls. troll posts everywhere..!
Teenaged angst is such a cancer.

Kubo was a great movie. I really liked the sisters.

As far as I know, traditional is cheaper for making individual films while CGI is more equipped for franchises due to reusable assets.

Might be why Europe is seeing more independent hand-drawn films being made.

>What's the point of making the film in stop-motion when it just ends up looking like regular, albeit slightly prettier, cgi?

You want it more prettier that would take more time especially the rendering part.
A little trivia: Early CGI model were based and scanned of sculptures/toys.

There is no reason for stop-motion to exist anymore to be honest

CGI does the same but millions of times better

Well, it's this one guy's hobby and he's got infinite money at his disposal so he's just gonna keep doing it.

>Movie about character who can never think up a decent ending has a bad ending

I can't even be mad because it was probably intentional. God Damn you Nike

There are things stop-motion can do that cgi can't
youtube.com/watch?v=qOSdo9wQcAw
Try having details like those on the characters with cgi, cgi is still not able to imitate real life materials to the note.

CGI is not perfect yet.

It looks like stop-motion so it's bad.