Mark Millar believes kids do not identify with DC heroes at the movies

>“People will slam me for this but I think the evidence is there. We’ve seen great directors, great writers and great actors, tonnes of money thrown at them, but these films aren’t working. I think they are all too far away from when they were created. Something feels a little old about them, kids look at these characters and they don’t feel that cool. Even Superman, I love Superman, but he belongs to an America that doesn’t exist anymore. He represents 20th Century America and I think he peaked then.”

Other urls found in this thread:

heroichollywood.com/jay-baruchel-batman-v-superman/
batman-news.com/2017/09/24/darren-aronofsky-man-of-steel-superman/
slashfilm.com/james-cameron-inspirations/
comicbook.com/marvel/2017/08/08/scott-derrickson-watchmen-zack-snyder/
cinemablend.com/news/1638230/why-logans-director-hates-most-superhero-movies
comicbook.com/marvel/2017/10/15/david-fincher-marvel-studios-swipe/
gamespot.com/articles/independence-day-director-criticizes-marvel-movies/1100-6441044/
cheatsheet.com/entertainment/hollywoods-most-formulaic-director-criticizes-the-marvel-formula.html/?a=viewall
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>We’ve seen great directors, great writers and great actors

i think he means on the CapeShit scale

>Mark Millar believes
stopped reading there

He isn't exactly wrong, but the fault lay with DCEU from making them too grim for kids.

This.

>Kids don't like DC heroes
>Despite the overwhelming success of DC's cartoons over the years.
Nah, DCEU fuckers just don't know what they're doing.

>We’ve seen great directors, great writers and great actors

Yeah, here's the thing though: Zach Snyder ISN'T one of those "talented people". And Zach Snyder created something so shit that no one else can save it.

Is Millar dare I say retarded?

We got two movies of Superman only looking glum and saying really bland lines about the world not trusting him, and then a kind of better Superman that had five minutes of screentime in a clusterfuck movie no one saw. I'm sad this guy used to make really enjoyable Superman comics and has such a short-sighted view.

Snyder is not a good director even by capeshit standards, Snyder is not a good director by any standards.

His best movie is the extremely divisive and dawn of the dead

He's Michael bay lvl, the only difference is that MIchael bay makes money while Snyder consistently flops

>it's not that they're shit films, it's that the characters themselves are old and outdated and nobody likes them anymore
If such words came from a Marvel writer DCEU fans would be going apeshit.

Wonder Woman and TDK rises got praised and a lot of money,Suicide Squad profit was huge, I'm sick of those faggots at DC/WB trying to cover Hack Snyder, he's a hack, he was always a hack and this mess is his fault and from WB just for hiring him.

He's not wrong

DC has awful characters who only work in cartoons because they're meant for children and children are stupid

People LOVE The Dark Knight and Batman. Hell, even Wonder Woman resonated pretty well.

These are just shit fucking movies

>MCU isn’t meant for kids
DANCE OFF BRO

>someone says something about DC
>UH MARVEL?????????
like I said, for kids

People like Batman because he's the closest DC has to a relatable character

Wonder Woman only got praise because of girl power and because it was slightly less shit than every other DC movie

But he's saying kids don't like them. You're contradicting him.

of course they would, dceu fans are retarded

He's saying kids don't like them now which is also true and why every DC cartoon that isn't Teen Titans Go doesn't exist

And yet actual directors and actors praise him

heroichollywood.com/jay-baruchel-batman-v-superman/

batman-news.com/2017/09/24/darren-aronofsky-man-of-steel-superman/

slashfilm.com/james-cameron-inspirations/

comicbook.com/marvel/2017/08/08/scott-derrickson-watchmen-zack-snyder/

>because he's the closest DC has to a relatable character

Wrong

You can find a million more for directors for other superhero films. The fact is that the only people who matter, the actual audience, doesn't.

>actors desperate for work and other hacks like him

>directors and actors kissing the ass of other directors and actors

>He represents 20th Century America, that's why kids don't think they are cool.

Is it Cyborg the genius football player? Is it Diana the daughter of a god and an immortal being of myth? Is it Supes the guy who is super strong, can punch out gods, and inhumanly fast? Is it Aquaman the dude who is the king of a kingdom he doesn't want?

Flash is pretty much the only relatable character but even then fuck that beta fag. Bruce isn't relatable at all but its not like anyone else is any fucking better.

Which is why so many people have related to both the cartoon and comic versions of various titans?

Captain America movies don't really do that well financially

Batman is a James Bond power fantasy. Nobody relates to him. You're just looking at things in terms of powers

>Batman is a James Bond power fantasy
They're all power fantasies.

Yeah, that's why every other form of DC media does so poorly too? Man, if only the DCAU were popular

>Is it Cyborg the genius football player? Is it Diana the daughter of a god and an immortal being of myth? Is it Supes the guy who is super strong, can punch out gods, and inhumanly fast? Is it Aquaman the dude who is the king of a kingdom he doesn't want?
You just described Iron Man, Thor, Thor again, and Black Panther.

Is Cyborg a guy who deals with becoming less human and adapting to that, who has to come to terms with his father's involvement in that and the end of his football career/hobby?

Is Diana a woman who has to learn to navigate a world that is far different from the one she grew up in?

Is Superman a guy who tries to do what's right, who has a family and friends he wants to spend time with while also feeling responsible for much larger things? Who loves his slightly crazy wife and has a son he has to try to raise to become a good man while still allowing him to become the man he wants to be?

Is Aquaman a man who has to choose between a huge responsibility he feels more or less obligated to deal with? A man who has to balance his life is a king with his life as a hero?

You don't relate to the big stuff, you relate to the small stuff and the stuff that the big stuff represents.

If only it weren't also 30 years old

After Winter Soldier he became pretty popular.
During the first Avengers hype everyone was shitting on him, now most of MCU audience likes him and roots for him.

So the arguement "he [Superman or Cap - doesn't matter] represents old and people don't like old" is pretty dumb.

>Yeah, that's why every other form of DC media does so poorly too?
Injustice 2 selling like hotcakes and won best fighting game of the year, DC hero girls and ttg raping marvel cartoons, DC comics selling more copies than Marvel, arrowverse doing 1 billion per year

Threy're doing well in literally every form of media

Nobody in Hollywood badmouths anyone else unless they're willing to burn bridges, which few people are willing to do.

After a while you have to learn to read between the lines to see what they really mean.

>brown-nosing proves that snyder isn't hated by the industry

no one said he was hated by the industry, just that he's a talentless hack and that he is directly responsible for the shitty state of DC superhero movies

Yeah DC had amazing movies before he showed up like Catwoman and Jonah Hex

How can one man say something so wrong when the sentiment is correct?
The issue isn't that Superman is out of date the problem is that children aren't going to connect with with the conflicts of choice and heritage.

same...

why would any of these people need to brown nose when they have careers and are well above Snyder in hollywood clout (with the exception of the actor).

>You can find a million more for directors for other superhero films
>Nobody in Hollywood badmouths anyone else

And yet....

cinemablend.com/news/1638230/why-logans-director-hates-most-superhero-movies

comicbook.com/marvel/2017/10/15/david-fincher-marvel-studios-swipe/

gamespot.com/articles/independence-day-director-criticizes-marvel-movies/1100-6441044/

cheatsheet.com/entertainment/hollywoods-most-formulaic-director-criticizes-the-marvel-formula.html/?a=viewall

>You can find a million more for directors for other superhero films

But yet you refuse to post any. Interesting....

>other hacks
>Director of T2 is a hack
>Director of Black Swan is a hack

opinion discarded, no wonder you like MCU movies if your taste is so trash.

Superhero films yes

DC films no

that doesnt change the fact that his movies dont do well financially.

cameron can talk whatever the fuck he wants tho, hes money machine

reminder that Mark Millar sold his company and all its comic book/movie IPs to Netflix last year for a number he basically invented

it's Millar, if he could accept that things could ever be too grim for kids he wouldn't have spent years reporting his company having assets worth several million without any basis for that whatsoever

he's a bullshitter and it's worked out for him, but like all serial bullshitters he's too deep in to recognize truth any more

>T2
>Black Swan
And the director of Noah and Mother

He's right, but his reasoning is completely wrong. The heroes are fine, but their movie versions are just too gray and serious for kids to enjoy. Seeing BvS toys in toy stores near all the Marvel and Star Wars stuff was bizarre as fuck.

Wait and see how Avatar 2 does first before saying something like that

they don't have amazing movies now

>Mark Millar
Stopped reading there.

>ladderbro loves Millar

... that was sarcasm no one on the planet is dumb enough to think those were good

DC has many characters that have appeared in comics. Not all of them have a history in comics that were aimed at children and were campy.

DC had TDK trilogy, Classic Superman, V for Vendetta, Constantine etc

While Marvel had elektra

If Mark Millar said that drinking bleach is bad, I'd chug a 5-liter of Clorox.

More seriously: we're talking about a man who writes superhero books where in EVERY book superheroes kill shitton of people solely "because it's cool", and also there's shitton of rape solely "because it's cool".
I wouldn't trust this moron with deciding what kids identify with with a ten-foot pole.

Who were supermans friends?
Superman is a cunt in the DCEU

>He represents 20th Century America and I think he peaked then

I can only imagine Millar's still bitter towards Morrison and wont acknowledge All Star.

In the DCEU, yes. He has friends in every other medium.

>DC had TDK trilogy, Classic Superman, V for Vendetta, Constantine etc
And Steel, Supergirl, The Losers, Return of Swamp Thing, Superman 3, 4, Returns, Catwoman etc.
>While Marvel had elektra
And Men in Black, Blade, Spiderman, X men etc.

In the grand scheme Marvel has and will always have more good and more successful movies than DC because their characters are more interesting

>Men in Black
Who the FUCK told you Marvel ever held rights to MiB? That's a straight lie.

Blade, Spider-Man, X-Men are Marvel properties but they weren't FILMED by Marvel.
In comparison, Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher (all shit) were made by Marvel itself. Honestly, considering their output I wonder where the fuck did they get enough money to make Iron Man.

>Winter Soldier - over 700 million
>Civil War - 1 Billion
Nah you're wrong. Sit the fuck down

How the fuck is the billionaire playboy tycoon that is good at every fucking art and is the world's greatest detective even remotely "relatable"? Because he's human? Because if that's your standard for relatable that's pretty sad.

How is literally any person in the JL relatable.

the superman cartoon was really good too. Why don't they just make that into a live action movie?

How is literally any person in the Avengers relatable

Everyone can relate to a Viking Prince God who can solve his problems with magic.

Batman would still be a giant draw if he was in half competent hands. There's a reason the Nolanverse preceded the giant boom in cape movies.

Cyborg is pretty realatable for me because I have a strained relationship with my Dad. I was never bullied at school so he's far more realtable than Spider-Man for me

Any of them can be a big draw. Wonder Woman was. The opening weekends for MoS, BvS and SS were big. Miller is wrong. The problem was the films weren't good