What does Sup Forums think about Warren Ellis?

What does Sup Forums think about Warren Ellis?

While not a mind blowing writer he does very good work consistently.

He's a good writer, but his inability to stick to schedule gets really grating when following any book of his monthly.

>technobabble

Hell of a good writer Brings a lot of fresh ideas into the table. High quality work. Had some titles were cancelled, but some just died bcs of him and only him (Anna Mercury, Doktor Sleppless and WTF has happened to Trees?)

He's a funny guy.
I like some of his works a lot.

He got sick abruptly and that killed a lot of projects.

My bad, I forgot Sleepless was due to the infamous "computer fuck-up" that killed a lot of other projects around that time too. Trees was sickness.

The Castlevania animetoon is on-point.

you'll love first of his stories you'll read, then they will graduate into "decent" as you'll notice how often he reuses stuff. Still an above average writer

Orbiter is my fav sci fi comic. And as opposed to a lot of his work it's very hopeful.

I remember seeing photos of him out drinking with Arden Leigh and being curious as to the nature of their professional relationship.

Gimmicky trash, like all British writers.

alcoholism isn't abrupt

I can honestly never remember which one is Warren Ellis and which one is Garth Ennis.

If you asked me who wrote what I would be totally lost. I just group them together in my mind.

For some reason I don't have that problem with Miller and Millar.

Does a good weekly newsletter.

I see his name on a #1 issue and think "this will probably be a fun six issues"

Ennis is more violent, hates religion, and likes Superman

Ellis never stays on a book for more than 12 issues

A mild stroke is tho.

Ellis is the bitter little shit who wanted to lead the SJW revolution in comics in the 00s and failed miserably, but lives on with his acolytes Kelly Sue DeConnick and Andy Khouri continuing his blasphemous vision in today's environment.

Garth Ennis is a politically incorrect hack who got lucky with Preacher and has been riding that horse ever since and who basically gave up on everything but war comics when he woke up in the mid-00s and realized that he was writing fucking PUNISHER books for a living and had sold out worse than Ellis, since at least Ennis didn't rage quit every book he wrote

They never even go to the Castle.

Andy Khouri is a pretty decent editor even if you don't agree with his politics

vastly overrated for a guy who has put out so many terrible comics

Ennis is edgy, but not politically incorrect. Nothing he's ever written has challenged the mainstream media narrative. He'll never write a book called "Iman" where Muhommed had sex with prostiitutes and produced a line of inbred retards, for example.

Wasn't the computer fuck up eventually confirmed as a lie, in terms of Ellis eventually admitting that he went through a bit of a BSOD after he nearly got outed having cybersex with several of his female fans?

I do recall he shut down his forum around that time, when it got leaked out that the boyfriend of one of his mods caught his girlfriend cybersexing Warren and he threatened to publish the IM chat logs if he didn't break things off.

No he isn't. Completely fucked up Omega Men on every single level to the point that fans had to beg to allow King to finish his story.

Also, his Suicide Squad is full of shit; neutered and completely devoid of balls and basically has turned the team into Stormwatch. And not the cool version of Stormwatch under Ellis, but the shitt as fuck Ron Marz version.

Glad to see someone else feels the way about Suicide Squad.

The book is so freaking boring and DC utterly scared to do anything to shake things up or deviate from the movie line-up. And that's not counting the Harley pandering or Katana being wasted as a character, after the book went out of it's way to restore her original origin.

>about Warren Ellis
jerks off to transhumanism while it's quickly becoming as dated as cyberpunk
generic AD2000 edgelord castoff who helped shit up comic books as childrens' entertainment
thinks he's funnier than he is
poor man's alan moore who will be begging Image to print his next ultraviolent garbage fest
his daughter is fuckable hi warren

>Warren Ellis acolytes
>KSD and Khouri
lolwut

At least SS isn't too overtly political; I wouldn't put it past Khouri to ignore Waller's entire character/background as one of Ronald Reagan's top subordinates and make her an Obama groupie who sucked Barry's dick to get her job running a government black ops squad.

You'd be pretty hard pressed to find anyone who likes Skwad on Sup Forums

like Squad, yes
like Skwad, no

>hates religion,
But so does Ellis

a less talented Garth Ennis

Ellis used to run a forum in the early 00s that a lot of people who were just starting out in the business posted at. Matt Fraction, Kelly Sue, Brian Wood, among others were regulars there. As was Rich Johnston, Andy Khouri, Joe Glass, and others in the then fledgling online comic press.

this. Nextwave got by on being better than the rest of Marvel's tripe plus a ton of LOOK AT ME LADS BEING TONGUE IN CHEEK LOOK

He's pretty good until you've read about...4? of his things.
Then you notice they're all the same.

On a side note; has thin Waller been fully excised from DC Canon?

Wholesale change aside, thin Waller wasn't THAT bad. She was basically Lana Kane from Archer as a DC character and retconning her a former black ops agent was better than them just dropping the whole self-made woman angle where she went from grieving mother to one of the movers and shakers of the GOP loyal intelligence committee.

His creator-owned projects are good but formulaic in the extreme so I tend to prefer when he is revamping other properties. Loved Castlevania, Stormwatch/Authority is an all-time classic, Planetary's good but tapers off. Those are probably the only ones I couldn't do without. (And Gun Machine's his best novel.)

I don't think Warren ever wrote for 2000AD.
I went to the WEF once, got into an argument with Kieron Gillen that he was losing so hard Big Daddy Warren came in to smack me down, I beat Warren and then he had me banned.

I only beat them because they were factually incorrect about something and too arrogant to think Joe Rando knew better btw I don't tell this story to be like wow my debating skills outperformed two professional writers

>I don't think Warren ever wrote for 2000AD.
> Other early works include a Judge Dredd short

>an argument with Kieron Gillen
the guy whose current fantasy comic is 'Madoka' with a different name on it

>Miller and Millar.
Miller is an old fuck who wrote some good comics once upon a time

Millar is a hack who never wrote anything good in his life

but other people ghostwrote a couple of good things using his name

>an argument with Kieron Gillen that he was losing so hard Big Daddy Warren came in to smack me down, I beat Warren and then he had me banned
Who the fuck cares that your angry ass was banned or that you say you won an argument? Reading this post made me sick of your shit already. Good for them and i am sure they are better off without you

He sucks.

There were a couple of posters who posted there just to shit on Ellis and his ilk and kept making new accounts every time their old one got banned. IIRC there was a flaw in the software of the forum that made IP banning impossible and Ellis was forever pissy about that.

Based on fucking what?

DK3 was pretty good, Last Crusade was great, and I'm excited about his Superman book

Yeah; there were a bunch of sex pervert types who loved to troll Warren and the rest of the cosmopolitan hipster types with nerd sex shit. Like posting shit about what would be in Dave Sim's sex toy collection, fetishizing characters who normally inspire brain bleach if seen in a sexual light, and other creepy shit.

Is this the same person again?

His ability to keep DC free from diverse political opinions (only hardcore Trump hating SJW types in Khouri's DC Comics) and blacklisting index skills of people who say "mean" things to his asshole friends.

Thanks, I couldn't remember. He used to go on about not coming up the usual 2000AD route. Perhaps he meant future shocks or something.
That my story annoyed you makes me happy. Thanks for posting.
Ah. Well, if they suspected that they were paranoid, as I just replied with a correction to Kieron that turned into him and Warren trying to be cunts to me until they couldn't argue with a simple verifiable fact and oops banned. Thanks for the info.

recruiting Schmidt and Ferreyrya was a pretty big get

Yes

>animetoon
No. Why do people call anything with slightly more realistic proportions than Popeye anime?

k.

No

Along with Ennis, I feel like the internet's backlash against edgy atheism really served to deflate his stardom. I doesn't feel smart of countercultural anymore, just like a frown man acting like a petty teenager.

Maybe

He didn't recruit Ferreyra, Mark Doyle did. Khouri just stuck him on a shitty Green Arrow title, didn't get him an exclusive deal and after his run on GA he said DC didn't give him anything. The fill ins on Green Arrow also sucked. You know who Khouri recruited for DC? that horrible Stephen Byrne guy.

>Thanks, I couldn't remember. He used to go on about not coming up the usual 2000AD route. Perhaps he meant future shocks or something.

Looking at his bibliography, he only did one story for them, "Judge Edwina's Strange Cases: Feed Me".

>DK3 is good
Admittedly i have not read it but this is the first time i have heard anyone say that

I think a lot of people just forgot it was coming out because of delays. But reception was generally positive while it was coming out.

There was only one fill in artist on GA and it was mediocre. And the book isn't shitty it's pretty decent and goes a long way to repair GA since New 52 fucked him up

Early Ellis was weaksauce. was not a fan of doom 2099 and other stuff. I remember when Transmetropolitan came out that was getting a big come up and was an incredibly good comic. Ellis from like 97-2008 was brilliant

of his output this decade I really liked James Bond. Moon Knight, and Injection. Injection gets better on multiple rereads and moon knight is just six issues of high concept fun

now I haven't read his Moon Knight in a while but from what I remember it wasn't really high concept

Insufferable cunt who thinks he's far more clever than he is much like all Britbongs.

Stephen Byrne
Elenora Carlini
Mirka Andolfo

I just named you three. Can't even keep the fact straight regarding this comic you oh so love
>fix
My ass, it's mediocre as all fuck, rehashing storylines like a motherfucker.

At least he's not irish.

It really wasn't.

high concept as in each issue has its own crazy big idea that is executed on but still leaves room to be used elsewhere not morrison's psychedelic bullshit if that's what you mean

>crazy big idea
Um, no.

I've reviewed the footage, you're right. Sorry about that.

Black Canary not being in the book was a giant sin

but there is also a bit of psychedelic bullshit so don't get so uppity about Morrison next time

You sound mentally ill.

Cause i find that two characters work well with each other?

The dialogue was awful

But Suicide Squad SHOULD be political. It's a morally questionable Black Ops kill team made up of convicted criminals payed in "time served."

Don't tell Sup Forums that. They want the golden age of the 90s back

Suicide Squad barely even existed in the 90s, though

Overrated edgelord who ruined Netflix's Castlevania III adaptation.

Ellis' Moon Knight was pure garbage, and only notable because he picked a good artist for it and said artist came up with the suit and tie and hood costume for MK.

To be fair, that was more the downside of synergy shit. The Arrow fans who DC want to buy GA hate Black Canary and will raise holy hell if Felicity isn't Ollie's soulmate/love interest.

But they tried pandering to the Felicity fags and it killed sales so badly that they had to declare those batches of issues non-canon like that stretch of WW comics where they moved the character to the 40s to cash in on the Linda Carter show

Actually they did. The book ran from 87-92 and then were the primary protagonists in Eclipso, which ran from 92-94, when SS got canceled.

They didn't disappear from the DCU until around 1995 when the three part "Watery Grave" arc ran in Superboy.

Did they hurt you or something

Ellis is the one interested in transhumanism and has and style that really pulp. He also likes to used old redpilled assholes like Bendix or Elijah Snow as mouthpieces. Ennis is the who likes to write war stories and is on of the most famous Punisher writers. He also likes to do a lot of rape jokes and is edgy as fuck.
Both are good writers, both consider themselves to be over capeshit.

>He also likes to do a lot of rape jokes and is edgy as fuck.
this also applies to Ellis, to be fair

Ennis
>really doesn't like superheroes, except Superman, he's cool
>really likes writing about how shitty the US was abroad after World War 2
>writes a story about the IRA in any given comic he's writing, even when it is seemingly inappropriate to the main topic
>slightly more juvenile sense of humor but can actually be consistently funny without descending into absurdism
>has Ns in his name

Ellis
>up his own ass
>tries too hard to be funny and often misses the mark
>more interested in modern/contemporary politics
>doesn't have any particular beef with superheroes, but occasionally tries to take the piss out of them in the edgiest way possible
>has Ls in his name

>Up his own ass
You can say this about Ennis too.

No, Ennis doesn't really have any pretensions of making a meaningful statement in any of his works

the closest would be My War Gone By being pretty unvarnished about how shitty and imperialist the US was after WW2, and that one page in Born where he gets on the soapbox about how the Military-Industrial Complex is basically Satan. But those aren't exactly deep statements.

I didn't understood trying to make a meaningful statement as ''up his own ass''.

He did Preacher tho.

because often Ellis will make a stupid statement, thinking it's meaningful

like that fucking school shooting issue of Hellblazer, or most of Transmet

Nigger and rape jokes are pretty much politically incorrect.

Ennis do that too with his whole ''capeshit is stupid''.

Ennis lets you know he thinks capes are stupid by making a joke out of them. Ellis expects you to take him seriously.

Transmetropolitan is one of my top 5 comics of all time. Lots of his other stuff is great as well

That's not insightful..... just common sense

Are you one of those pretentious snobs who think capeshit is dumb for the sake of it?