A Compilation of text and pics about various upcoming DC Ink Graphic Novels

bleedingcool.com/2018/02/23/publishing-dates-dc-zoom-dc-ink-titles/

Gotham High by Melissa de la Cruz

A Bruce Wayne high school graphic novel with a 17-year-old part-Chinese Bruce Wayne and DC villains as high school teenagers.

She describes her Bruce Wayne as “a bit of a Great Gatsby figure,” throwing parties at Wayne Manor that he doesn’t like to engage in. And she populates his world with future villains of Gotham, including future Joker, Jack Smith, Bruce Wayne’s best friend — until they both meet a latina Selina Kyle.

Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass by Mariko Tamaki and Steve Pugh:

“It’s a book about justice for teenagers, about thinking about right and wrong and trying to figure about right or wrong. It’s a book about activism. I do have the word intersectionality in there; I’m feeling really good about that. I’m sure I’ll get some tweets about that, also the word ‘systematic’, I’m hoping we get to keep it in there. It is also heavily a book about drag queens. ”

Mera by Danielle Paige:

She says her first pitch was rewriting Aquaman as The Little Mermaid. He saw a girl on land, he would fall in love, it would be so great; but then DC told her Aquaman grew up on land, so she flipped it for Mera. However, this gives them more of a love/hate relationship as Mera aims to kill Aquaman.

Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale by Lauren Myracle. They don’t talk what the book is about (another teen reinterpretation I think?) but we got this gem from Ms. Myracle working with her editor:

“Selina takes down the bullies in her school and she’s gesturing at their man parts. I write in that their man parts deflate and even gave sound effects — Swish swish loop loop — and she’s like, yeah, I don’t know how they are going to draw that, so she made me take that part out.”

Teen Titans: Raven by Kami Garcia and Gabriel Picolo, which will be first in a series of graphic novels each focusing on a different Titan.

She will explore the Teen Titans lives before they realise they have powers, as a series of coming-of-age graphic novels, each featuring a different Teen Titan, and eventually the stories will interweave into a Teen Titans team story.

Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed by Laurie Halse Anderson

With a 15-year-old Wonder Woman on Paradise Island who sees drowning refugees and disobeys her mother Hippolyta to rescue them. She becomes caught up in their struggle, becoming a refugee herself. Washing up on a foreign shore, she is met by two UN workers — one called Steve and another called Trevor. While trying to help her find her way home, she uncovers a smuggler and trafficking ring.

And Batman: Nightwalker, an adaptation of prose novel of the same name by Marie Lu

Before he was Batman, he was Bruce Wayne. A reckless boy willing to break the rules for a girl who may be his worst enemy.

The Nightwalkers are terrorizing Gotham City, and Bruce Wayne is next on their list.
The city’s elites are being taken out one by one as their mansions’ security systems turn against them, trapping them like prey. Meanwhile, Bruce is about to become eighteen and inherit his family’s fortune, not to mention the keys to Wayne Industries and all the tech gadgetry that he loves. But on the way home from his birthday party, he makes an impulsive choice and is sentenced to community service at Arkham Asylum, the infamous prison that holds the city’s most nefarious criminals.

Madeleine Wallace is a brilliant killer … and Bruce’s only hope.
The most intriguing inmate in Arkham is Madeleine, a brilliant girl with ties to the Nightwalkers. A girl who will only speak to Bruce. She is the mystery he must unravel, but is he convincing her to divulge her secrets, or is he feeding her the information she needs to bring Gotham City to its knees?

Almost all of this is completely unappealing to me but I'm very happy it exists

>Gotham, but what if they were high schoolers
People love to throw this idea around but I think it's a terrible idea

Generally yes, but it's at least better suited to short form works like this instead of stuff like Gotham where you have a swarm of origin stories.

It's not supposed to appeal directly to you; Ink is made for the young adult/teen market.

But if it strikes your fancy in some other way, then all the power to you. It's basically like Nintendo Labo in that regard.

>17-year-old part-Chinese Bruce Wayne
>part-Chinese

>She will explore the Teen Titans lives before they realise they have powers, as a series of coming-of-age graphic novels, each featuring a different Teen Titan, and eventually the stories will interweave into a Teen Titans team story.

>No Trigon yet
Thank god
This sounds pretty interesting though.

>implying Trigon won't appear and ask Donna to prom

Why is "young adult" synonymous with "college identity politics?" Are 15 year olds in college?

Fuck off.

It's almost like teenagers struggle to find and establish their identities at that age

Why are you upset? I'm making an observation. What's the deal with YA? Why are they so intensely focused on this particular subject matter?

See 90% of being a teenager is about establishing your identity. Of course that subject matter will be appealing

>Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass [is] a book about justice for teenagers, about thinking about right and wrong and trying to figure about right or wrong. It’s a book about activism. I do have the word intersectionality in there; I’m feeling really good about that. I’m sure I’ll get some tweets about that, also the word ‘systematic’, I’m hoping we get to keep it in there.
>harley quinn, activism, intersectionality,
>cares more about one word staying in than the story being good

>[The Mera author] says her first pitch was rewriting Aquaman as The Little Mermaid. He saw a girl on land, he would fall in love, it would be so great; but then DC told her Aquaman grew up on land, so she flipped it for Mera. However, this gives them more of a love/hate relationship as Mera aims to kill Aquaman.

this is why I constantly say the only people they're willing to hire are people that are apathetic or actively hate comics. this extends to their main books as well. the harley writer just wrote one of the worst she-hulk "runs" ever... though I don't even call 6 issues a run normally.

then why do the shills insist on posting it here?

identity politics has nothing to do with "finding yourself" you fucking idiot. He's saying "why do they think high schoolers care about or connect with the plight of the refugee, for example.

are people getting mad at literal children's books now.

or rather ideas of children's books

>then why do the shills insist on posting it here?
Because it's comic news. Should we nix it for more waifu threads?

I mean they'll just make up shit to get mad at so yeah going off on children's books seems about right.

>identity politics has nothing to do with "finding yourself"
You stupid or something?

it belongs here, I'm asking why you shills are posting it and expecting people to eat it up and celebrate books aimed at kids, specifically when they're shitty and full of political shit which I don't think kids should be force-fed.

>shills
I love the idea that people would be paid to copy/paste a news article for a thread with 9 people in it

no, but clearly you are. identity politics are politics related to your identity. the way user was responded to was about kids finding their identity which is a wholly separate subject.

in essence you agree identity politics have no place in kids lit because they don't even have fully formed identities yet.

Well, at least the old money background still works.

>it belongs here, I'm asking why you shills are posting it
I didn't post it, but it was posted because it belongs here. You seem to be answering your own question

>expecting people to eat it up and celebrate books aimed at kids
No one's expecting anyone to praise anything. The only people getting worked up over these books are the ones reeing about how it's about something they don't like

>specifically when they're shitty and full of political shit which I don't think kids should be force-fed.
Oh are we going back to the "comics shouldn't have politics in them" argument that hasn't been valid since the very first comics?

You do know the only threads about it are either people complaining about it or people just reporting it as news

He probably started the thread so he could whine about people who aren't white men writing comics.

This shit is for teenagers
You know the ones who read Twilight and Hunger Games

>identity politics are politics related to your identity
"Everything is politics." Identity politics are inherently about people having strong opinions about who they are as people and what they identify with. You can't separate them nearly as cleanly as you seem to think you can

I got a post removed because this literally is a shill thread.

>shills

>Part Chinese

But why?

the best part of this is that the shills think casting dispersion on the idea works.

So their not even well-versed shills.

user, you're paranoid
Are solicit threads made by shills?
If it's shit, it's shit but at least it doesn't mess with canon stuff and it's specifically for the YA market.
Just because you're a comic fan doesn't mean every DC related thing is made for you (DC Superhero Girls, Teen Titans Go, etc)

>le pol le pol
Alright now I'm telling YOU to fuck off. I've had enough of your bullshit. I only visit Sup Forums.

Its more than simple identity issues though. This is literally just more of what we had to bear from Marvel for the past 5 years. Its identity politics.

>"well you're not the demographic they want!"
That's never mattered on this board for children's cartoons and comic books.

Because the writer's Chinese American and she has enough creative freedom to do it for this isolated title
In a multiverse of all sorts of differences, an Asian Bruce attending High School is fucking nothing
Is it weird that I thought Bruce looked Asian in The Batman

Because it's an elseworld and the writer is Chinese. Why do you care?

user, do you sperg out about DC Superhero Girls?
What are you trying to accomplish?

pretty clear the "shill" is mariko.

>Everyone who disagrees with me is secretly a shill who just so happens to go on an infamous Vietnamese Paper Cutting website to promote a title the board would've never liked to begin with

Don't forget it won't come out for ages.

You know how Batgirl's considered a containment zone?
Think of DCInk like that and if the title is good, it's a bonus and I hope it does well since it's actually going to actual book stores

Cool fucking thread guys. Jesus christ.

Mariko's book? It's the first one out this year

the poster count didn't go up after these

Your point?

that the same shills that posted and are attempting to bump the thread are continuing to do so.

Yeah, in almost seven months. Jumping the gun a bit if the goal is to trick innocent Sup Forums users into buying her book.

Mate, I was the guy who said How is that shilling?

The Soros-funded Jewish conspiracy to get 10 people on Sup Forums to read a series of comics aimed at high schoolers is clearly going full speed

>trick innocent Sup Forums users into buying her book.
How?
Nobody said anything good about it.
People are either neutrally apathetic or think it's the end of the world.
We're on the former category

the point was you didn't reply to anyone, you just intentionally bumped the thread. you'd already posted ITT.

???
It's common to announce OGNs pretty far in advance due to catalogs coming out. Like Wonder Woman Earth One vol 2 was announced for August 2018 released back in December 2017.

Ironically if it weren't for this one sperg this thread probably would have died out with like ten responses

You may have missed the point.

>that the same shills
the point was that I was accused of being a shill

Oh sorry then
At this point you can't really tell
Then again
>I was only pretending to be retarded

That's true, but in this case I was just expressing doubt that she came here to drum up sales in a bait thread.

bumping because I want my shill check from DC

Hello blatant false flagger
I've seen Bigfoot pictures more believable than you

It was a joke, user. You don't need to sperg about everything

>It's almost like teenagers struggle to find and establish their identities at that age
then why do we keep feeding them confusing insane shit?

I assume you only think that it's insane because you don't agree with it politically

What do you think he's been shitposting about for the entire thread?

I thought the same thing, and also "Why?".

Kids feel like outsiders and like stories about other outsiders. It's also why dystopian science fiction is the most popular genre in YA.
And stop acting like this new, look at the the damn Percy Jackson books.